It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 720.htm
<< 717  718  719    721  722  723 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Magnitude
Date-Time
Saturday, April 16, 2011 at 02:19:24 UTC
Saturday, April 16, 2011 at 11:19:24 AM at epicenter
Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones
Depth
20.1 km (12.5 miles)
Region
EASTERN HONSHU, JAPAN
Distances
26 km (16 miles) SW of Utsunomiya, Honshu, Japan
52 km (32 miles) E of Maebashi, Honshu, Japan
74 km (45 miles) W of Mito, Honshu, Japan
81 km (50 miles) N of TOKYO, Japan
Location Uncertainty
horizontal +/- 14.9 km (9.3 miles); depth +/- 5.7 km (3.5 miles)
Parameters
NST=493, Nph=498, Dmin=692.4 km, Rmss=0.67 sec, Gp= 29°,
M-type=regional moment magnitude (Mw), Version=B
Source
USGS NEIC (WDCS-D)
Event ID
usc0002srs

earthquake.usgs.gov...

neic.usgs.gov...

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by okiecowboy
more about the core shroud

The core shroud is a large stainless steel cylinder of circumferentially welded plates surrounding the reactor fuel core. The shroud provides for the core geometry of the fuel bundles. It is integral to providing a refloodable compartment in the event of a loss-of-coolant-accident. Extensive cracking of circumferential welds on the core shroud has been discovered in a growing number of U.S. and foreign BWRs. A lateral shift along circumferential cracks at the welds by as little as 1/8 inch can result in the misalignment of the fuel and the inability to insert the control rods coupled with loss of fuel core cooling capability. This scenario can result in a core melt accident.

bolding mine

could and earthquake like that one cause a lateral shift of 1/8 inch?

source

My gut say yes. But, even more interesting, in the link you provided are these 2 short pdf files.

September 20, 1971: memo from Steven Hanauer recommends that U.S. stop licensing reactors using pressure suppression system 3 short pages of scathing critique www.nirs.org...

And this reply to above...

September 25, 1972: memo from Joseph Hendrie (top safety official at AEC) agrees with recommendation but rejects it saying it "could well mean the end of nuclear power..." pdf file, 2 short paragraphs. www.nirs.org...

These type of reactors should have never been built in the first place...greed got them built, not good sense.
The pdf file (first one) shows the problems TEPCO is trying to deal with now.

Des
edit on 03/28/2011 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Silverlok

Hey, all...People really aren't grasping the severity of the situation. With all of the radioactivity piling up in Japan AND IN THE UNITED STATES how long before we start coming across animals (of any type, dog, cat, rodent, bird or insect) that are contaminated with radioactivity? Most animals dont drink bottled water. They drink Tap or rain and sewer water. I know it sounds like a bad horror movie, but we are going to get radioactive pets and even worse DEAD radioactive animals and pests in a couple of months or so.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 10:03 PM
link   
reply to post by berkeleygal

According to the USGS map above, the recent large quakes do seem to be moving to the south and the west in Japan. Unfortunately, I think it's only a matter of time before Tokyo gets hit with a fairly large one.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Also the storage pool racks are built in kind of a modular fashion so there are a bunch of sections, if anyone of them leaks (that one would go dry) the water would go down to the top of the rods which would quickly boil the water away (and it looks as if the left and right sides of the pool have done just that), if that sample was actually taken from that water it could not have been in there very long, but given the construction of the pool I do not see a way for a part of the top to be dry and another part to be wet, unless the top of the rack was damaged/dented down below the level of the other containment racks

remember my idea about fuel being moved about when bad things started going on? starting with why is the truck in the refueling bay....

think about the modular fashion your talking about here...
you have the spent fuel pool...and a section for fuel casks (not dry storage casks) to come in and out of the plant.
if that cask pool is a little lower than the other pool that would make sense..

now if fuel was being loaded or unloaded from a cask when power went out ...what if the cask blew and damaged the end of the spent fuel pool..causing a water fall cascade down to lower levels and and running into the open reactor area?? would that cause the thermal images you have been seeing?

red showing cask area
yellow showing spent fuel pool

would the damage area marked here in red match the shape and location of a fuel cask?

I think the drawing image is incorrect in a couple of ways to the actual layout of #4 (and probably 3 and 2 ) as the pool seems to be turned 90 in the actual reactors, but I have no doubt that the left and right sides of the pool racks were damaged at some point, it is my belief that the water in the original pool created a bufferzone from the initial shock wave due to reflective cancellation off the walls so that the exterior sections would auire more damage than some of the interior ones (meaning some of the central portions could still hold water but with the upper part of the pool missing is would only be right at the top on the rack instead of being thirty feet above the top of the rack)

so If I have my plant layout correct that hole would level with the edge of containment rack,incidentally the other end of the containment rack/pool ( the seaward/east side) is where it appears we have another poolium falls

I think your flowing down idea is exactly correct , but I think it happened from the a pool a bit east of the open core top and then flowed down a couple of floors towards #3 (water went first and then poolium followed later )creating our first possible external fubarium falls

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by DancedWithWolves

You know we've covered some ground when we start referring back. I found that same paragraph earlier today (or yesterday) and posted it a few pages back. Same emphasis. I'm also going to refer you way back in this thread to concern over whether the control rods actually inserted. Silverlock's comments are on that page referring to TEPCO's past safety violations that made the control rod situation something to watch in the future.

Sorry about repeating what you posted :-(..I even remember reading the first part of that post..I think that is what got me started looking ...

there is so much info here..it's getting hard to keep up lol

thanks for those links

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by okiecowboy

I went back and looked at several photos. What I was seeing as possible poolium falls, was actually, damage to the outside concrete wall...siwwy me...

Thanks for your help.

Des

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Aeons

TY for the bacteria/fungi article. Guess the next intelligent life to evolve will need to evolve from that fungi. Let's hope they will be more intelligent than us.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrbillshow
I'm not sure I get the discussion regarding the cameras installed by the Israeli firm. First, they were bought by Tepco and any images captured would be owned by Tepco. The opinion that the firm still has some right to them is unsupportable. It has electronic access to the equipment for maintenance and upgrades but just because the images reside on the hard disk doesn't mean they can go in and grab them whenever they want. It would be like saying Sony has a right to any video I shoot on my handycam. That they can't access them or Tepco won't let them is not a conspiracy.

Second. the tsunami wiped out the generators and they lost electrical capacity. I'm going to assume the camera system worked off electricity ... Again, this is not a conspiracy.

Tepco has been expounding the virtues of power restored , again and again , and this is not a family picnick, this is the worst nuclear disaster in the history of modern man...certain 'rights to privacy' become obvious impediments in an event of this magnitude, and Tepco has been using it's cameras all around the plant to help with the remote controlled stuff so they have cameras and they are working , why they would not be releasing information is the question and given the number of people being affected by this an important one in many areas.

The level of provable, repeated, deception from the firm so far this closed loop of information is clearly not rational if their motive is purely to fix the problem so they must have other motives ...

given the scope of a level 7 situation those repeated and demonstrated motives are a conspiracy by there very nature :
–noun, plural -cies.
the act of conspiring.
an evil, unlawful, treacherous, or surreptitious plan formulated in secret by two or more persons; plot.
a combination of persons for a secret, unlawful, or evil purpose: He joined the conspiracy to overthrow the government.
Law . an agreement by two or more persons to commit a crime, fraud, or other wrongful act.
any concurrence in action; combination in bringing about a given result.

I think 4 and 5 are especially important here

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   

I think the drawing image is incorrect in a couple of ways to the actual layout of #4 (and probably 3 and 2 ) as the pool seems to be turned 90 in the actual reactors, but I have no doubt that the left and right sides of the pool racks were damaged at some point, it is my belief that the water in the original pool created a bufferzone from the initial shock wave due to reflective cancellation off the walls so that the exterior sections would auire more damage than some of the interior ones (meaning some of the central portions could still hold water but with the upper part of the pool missing is would only be right at the top on the rack instead of being thirty feet above the top of the rack)

ok
The reason it looked right to me.. was the blow out area I marked would more or less be right above the truck when parked inside..

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Tepco: hmm, Arnie Gunderson, other US officials, and all those ATS nutjobs keep saying all the water boiled out of the spent fuel pool in the #4 reactor building and a subsequent fire of the zircaloy cladding unleased insane amounts of radiation into the atmosphere. This is making us look bad and insinuating that we lost control of the tons of fuel stored therin... gotta think of a way to plausibly deny that this has happened..

Problem 1: this actually did happen
Problem 2: even though we've poured tons and tons of water over this spent fuel pool, it is not holding water due to a combination of a leak in the spent fuel pool wall AND the temperature of the melted fuel pellets is so high that it promptly boils off the water that we put in it.

Solution: We pour enough water in the pool to temporarily cover the fuel and before it leaks/ boils off... we take a picture of us getting a water sample... this way we can claim that none of the above ever happened... PLUS the water sample we take will be of freshly added water that has taken on limited radioactive contamination.... Thus our sample numbers, though legitimatly measured, will appear relatively low and we can claim a lower radiation output from said fuel pool...... ahhh brilliant.

Soul

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by okiecowboy

I think we should keep repeating things here, by all means. Just wanted to refer you way back in the thread to those earlier discussions too. There is not much information coming out so it's time to dig. Keep going. I just have no idea how the world is so business as usual in the face of this disaster. Time will tell.

Rednecks words about surfing in California not being a great idea in the future still haunt. It's the invisibility of the radiation that has stealth capabilities that makes it unnerving too.

Repeat, review, reword and research all you can. No apologies needed. Just pointing out that I was finding the same thing. When they say replace the shroud I think they mean repair cost-efficiently too. Safety seemed to be second to cost way to often in this industry. Bet they are all scrambling to rewrite their promo literature now to make safety the first words. Doesn't change how they will operate long-term once the spotlight dims.

Your work on this thread is very appreciated. Thanks...back to reading.

ETA: link to post I made a long time ago in an off topic thread that would so help make these discussions more productive. Information is not linear like a thread. It swarms. Maybe someday....

edit on 15-4-2011 by DancedWithWolves because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by SoulReaper

Now you would make a good prosecutor,, where did you hone your BS avoidance skills

And of course everyone goes scott free just like all the rest,, BP, 911, FUKushima, Wall Street, probably give them BONUS's in hell. naw aint no hell except here,,from now on . Sad. Anyone ever look at the pictures of kids born from to much DNA screw ups?? noboby will have too look very far in the very near near future, no justice no vengence and no future, sad.
sad.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 11:22 PM
link   

ok
The reason it looked right to me.. was the blow out area I marked would more or less be right above the truck when parked inside..

I've been thinking about this a lot for about a week , I can't put my finger on it yet but something is there .
it does seem to be where an industrial elevator shaft would be...

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Renewable energy generation exceeds nuclear power

In 2010, for the first time, worldwide cumulated installed capacity of wind turbines, biomass and waste-to-energy plants, and solar power reached 381 gigawatts, outpacing the installed nuclear capacity of 375 gigawatts,

LINK

edit on 15-4-2011 by AlaskanDad because: edit code to fix link

edit on 15-4-2011 by AlaskanDad because: format revision

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by someoneinnyc
TY for the bacteria/fungi article. Guess the next intelligent life to evolve will need to evolve from that fungi. Let's hope they will be more intelligent than us.

Well we can add that to the list of other mad science projects like bugs that secrete petroleum. or mice that are immune to radiation.. or those green-glowing monkeys that Japan has created by splicing in a jellyfish...

Green-glowing monkeys have green-glowing babies

Japanese researchers have genetically engineered monkeys whose hair roots, skin and blood glow green under a special light, and who have passed on their traits to their offspring, the first time this has been achieved in a primate.

www.reuters.com...

Scientists Make Mice Immune to Radiation
www.dotmed.com...

Scientists find bugs that eat waste and excrete petrol
Silicon Valley is experimenting with bacteria that have been genetically altered to provide 'renewable petroleum'
www.timesonline.co.uk...

There ya go
The answer to all our energy needs...

Gotta love those Genetic Engineers eh?

edit on 15-4-2011 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by windwaker

My animals drink the same water I drink...why are you so worried about any animal or pest contamination as that also includes humans? Not coming down on you just trying to see where your concerns are...Burntheships posted a Great video re some of the animal rescue operations on pg 717...the animals in the video are rescued & tested for radioactivity...so sorry if I'm wrong, but I think burntheships or Atheon may have also posted radioactive studies in wildlife testing animals that live in a contaminated environment that is being cleaned up...sorry for such a poor post due to long wrk hrs & migraine...hopefully enough info provided for those interested...

Ektar

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 11:37 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

OMG
The spider web goat milk really freaked me out!
No doubt they are trying to figure out how to splice us so we can survive our toxic environment! Can I order up a radiation resistant green glowing silk peeing petrol pooping rose smelling baby?!

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 11:39 PM
link   
wow the inadvertent gamma detector is screaming :

I didn't circle some because I enlarged the image ( 200% pixel enlargement)

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by someoneinnyc

OMG
The spider web goat milk really freaked me out!
No doubt they are trying to figure out how to splice us so we can survive our toxic environment! Can I order up a radiation resistant green glowing silk peeing petrol pooping rose smelling baby?!

Sure... call Monsanto...

top topics

<< 717  718  719    721  722  723 >>

join