It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 719.htm
<< 716  717  718    720  721  722 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Silverlok

Silver, is it just me, or does it appear the water they are sampling, is kinda boiling and steaming...

Des

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Sharing...

Government considering plan to dismantle TEPCO

A secret plan to dismantle Tokyo Electric Power Co. (TEPCO), the operator of the crippled Fukushima No. 1 nuclear power plant, is circulating within the government.

The proposal, which is associated with a faction of bureaucrats who have long supported liberalization of Japan's power industry, envisages the passing of a special measures law that would put the company under close government supervision before eventually bankrupting it and completely restructuring its remnants.

There are also proposals to smash the company's powerful influence on politicians and the mass media and force executives to give all their pay and severance settlements to victims of the earthquake.

However, a rival faction in the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry and the Agency for Natural Resources and Energy (ANRE) and politicians with links to the power industry may try to fight or emasculate the radical proposals.

Sources said internal government discussions about how to handle TEPCO began in earnest around March 28, as it became clear that trillions of yen would be required just to compensate residents of Fukushima Prefecture affected by the nuclear disaster. The plan to dismantle the firm was being circulated by the end of the month.

At its center is a special measures bill placing TEPCO under government supervision and paving the way to pulling it apart.

A former ANRE official who supports the plan said: "The special measures law will be necessary when we consider the need for comprehensive reform of TEPCO's management, including the establishment of a third-party organ to certify compensation decisions, a way to come up with the funds to pay compensation, and the separation of the company's nuclear energy department."

According to an outline draft proposal, there would be four main measures within the bill.

One high-ranking ANRE official emphasized that the plan had not yet been authorized, and a mid-level METI bureaucrat said, "It is only being talked about by those in the Prime Minister's Official Residence and the National Policy Unit."

more

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   
speaking of reactor 3

found a new photo released of reactor 3

compare to

what ya think?

source

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   
NHK running story on the people displaced by the Plant

www3.nhk.or.jp...

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by hack2011

Add this to the oster nuclear fuel blender...whir on high...BOOM!

Japan plans to use MOX fuel in 16 to 20 reactors by 2010. A MOX fabrication plant with a capacity of around 130 tons/year is in the planning stages for the Rokkasho-Mura site. Operated by JNFL, it will benefit from an AREVA technology transfer

AREVA is the world leader in the manufacture of MOX fuel with almost 1,570 tons of heavy metal (tML) and mor than 3,000 assemblies produced since the AREVA MELOX plant was put online in 1995. In 2009, approximately 139 tons of MOX were produced worldwide, 134 tML of which at the MELOX plant, representing a market share of around 95% for AREVA.

Surprise surprise...not.

In the United States, in partnership with the Shaw Group and on behalf of the US Department of Energy (DOE), AREVA is pursuing the construction of an MFFF plant (Mixed Fuel Fabrication Facility) to manufacture MOX using plutonium of military origin. This project is a direct result of agreements entered into by the United States and Russia for plutonium recycling, from the dismantling of excess nuclear arms, in the form of fuel for civil usage

The United States and Russia have decided to recycle their military plutonium declared in excess in civilian nuclear reactors.

The technology and expertise of AREVA, on the recycling of plutonium and MOX fuel fabrication were selected by these 2 countries.

In late 2004, AREVA has approved 140 kg of plutonium for the U.S. miliary manufacturing MOX fuel rods. Once implemented by AREVA MOX assemblies 4 are returned to the United States in 2005. After several tests, the MOX fuel are now placed in the Catawba PWR nuclear reactor operated by Duke Power since June 2005.

Given the success of this operation, the U.S. government decided April 11, 2007 the construction of a MOX fabrication plant which AREVA is a partner in the consortium AREVA-DUKE-Stone & Webster. The future plant MFFF (MOX Fuel Fabrication Facility) will be located in South Carolina on the Savannah River site.

Des

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone

Silver, is it just me, or does it appear the water they are sampling, is kinda boiling and steaming...

Des

Not just you. I saw the bubbling as well.

Odd thing about it, it seems to be centralized to the location of the sampling cup.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Des

yes it's steamy . like I said normally that water would be thirty feet deep , if that is the top of one section of the pool rack that water would be between 15 and 30 degrees above the ambient temp. so there is no way that it has been there long , even if that section isn't leaking the water will boil off in just a few hours, SO THEY HAD TO HAVE ADDed it fairly recently.
another blatant misdirection

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by jadedANDcynical

Not just you. I saw the bubbling as well.

Odd thing about it, it seems to be centralized to the location of the sampling cup.

Whew...thanks, wipes sweat from brow. Could be a reaction to the surface of the measuring device? IDK.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by okiecowboy

nice , if that's not it I'll eat my hat

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Here ya go. Seems it got there and is being ruined as we speak.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Excellent find Okie. This only further shows, the sheer amount of destruction. How TEPCO can claim to have a handle on anything there, leaves me speechless.
Des

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by comawhite12

Or, it's melting...looks like a long dinner taper left in the sun way too long. oops, we broke it, please send another one.

Des

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Also the storage pool racks are built in kind of a modular fashion so there are a bunch of sections, if anyone of them leaks (that one would go dry) the water would go down to the top of the rods which would quickly boil the water away (and it looks as if the left and right sides of the pool have done just that), if that sample was actually taken from that water it could not have been in there very long, but given the construction of the pool I do not see a way for a part of the top to be dry and another part to be wet, unless the top of the rack was damaged/dented down below the level of the other containment racks

remember my idea about fuel being moved about when bad things started going on? starting with why is the truck in the refueling bay....

think about the modular fashion your talking about here...
you have the spent fuel pool...and a section for fuel casks (not dry storage casks) to come in and out of the plant.
if that cask pool is a little lower than the other pool that would make sense..

now if fuel was being loaded or unloaded from a cask when power went out ...what if the cask blew and damaged the end of the spent fuel pool..causing a water fall cascade down to lower levels and and running into the open reactor area?? would that cause the thermal images you have been seeing?

red showing cask area
yellow showing spent fuel pool

would the damage area marked here in red match the shape and location of a fuel cask?

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Nice observation...is that a poolium falls running down the wall outside of the cask storage area?

ETA: I can't help it, but every time I see a photo of workers at Fukushima, I see men in painters paper coveralls, wearing rubber maid kitchen gloves, rain galoshes....and construction hard hats.

Where are the REAL radiation suits...are they stashed in some high rollers' closet. I've tried calling Radshield over 100 times, it's V-mail tape loop hell. Have never gotten through to them. Wanted to find out what happened to the 200 high tech suits they donated to help the workers. I've never seen one of them in any photo.

www.radshield.com...
Des

edit on 03/28/2011 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

edit on 03/28/2011 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

Nice observation...is that a poolium falls running down the wall outside of the cask storage area

actually my guess is it is some sort of oxidized substance from rods that have been uncovered or even rust from metal that was headed and had seawater sprayed on it a time or three......

actually hold that thought..I have seen those stains somewhere else at these plants...let me get back with ya on that

look at the :52 second mark of this video..same type stains?

edit on 15-4-2011 by okiecowboy because: add video

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 09:27 PM
link   
more about the core shroud

The core shroud is a large stainless steel cylinder of circumferentially welded plates surrounding the reactor fuel core. The shroud provides for the core geometry of the fuel bundles. It is integral to providing a refloodable compartment in the event of a loss-of-coolant-accident. Extensive cracking of circumferential welds on the core shroud has been discovered in a growing number of U.S. and foreign BWRs. A lateral shift along circumferential cracks at the welds by as little as 1/8 inch can result in the misalignment of the fuel and the inability to insert the control rods coupled with loss of fuel core cooling capability. This scenario can result in a core melt accident.

bolding mine

could and earthquake like that one cause a lateral shift of 1/8 inch?

source

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   

TY for going to the trouble to find and post that. I did watch it 3 times, I really can't tell how similar they might be. I only asked re: the photo of, Putzmeister machine, is that the area I asked about, appears to me, to have some mass to it as in dimension/not flat stain. And it's location to fuel rods. I'm no expert, that's for sure.

Des

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   
I thought I would post a couple of nice Japanese sunset photos I took last week:

Yes, there is still some beauty in Japan.

edit on 15-4-2011 by MedievalGhost because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by SFA437
reply to post by Village Idiot

Ever seen packs of dogs that have gone feral?

Once they revert to feral animals they aren't man's best friend in any way, shape or form. They are ruthless pack hunters, and on top of that in northern Japan they are also likely to be carrying various particulate "iums" on their fur. As much as I love dogs and cats I wouldn't let one of them ANYWHERE near me and yes I'd put them down in a heartbeat.

As for my pets- I would evac with them even if they told me it would only be for a "couple days" (which shows an insane amount of trust in government that I do not share). Keeping dogs/cats in a vehicle outside an evac shelter is one way to manage it if they were not allowed in.

I have a rule for unarmed combat against dogs:

1 dog
any size) no problem as long as it does not get behind you first

2 dogs: you still get to walk away, but probably need to find some bandages

3 dogs: run, and I mean run.

Now don't get me wrong I am a dog person, I just have been on the bad side of the wrong place once or twice or thrice, and some people breed dogs for all the wrong reasons.

Oddly though abandoned domesticated dogs are rarely as smart at pack activities as coyotes or wolves, but hunger and desperation are great teachers, and unlike humans dogs tend to 'pack-up' a lot quicker...

..without a plan the Japanese are certainly going to learn some things about animals going feral. Thank god cows eat grass , I'd hate to see what would happen if a bunch of radioactive cows with nothing to lose got a bunch of tattoos started smoking and spent all their time looking for trouble

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   

You know we've covered some ground when we start referring back. I found that same paragraph earlier today (or yesterday) and posted it a few pages back. Same emphasis. I'm also going to refer you way back in this thread to concern over whether the control rods actually inserted. Silverlock's comments are on that page referring to TEPCO's past safety violations that made the control rod situation something to watch in the future.

ATS thread page

Why I questioned control rods news post

Link on reactor 4 update and shroud text today

Hope that adds more to your search. There are some like minds on this thread.

Thanks.
edit on 15-4-2011 by DancedWithWolves because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 716  717  718    720  721  722 >>

join