It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 714.htm
<< 711  712  713    715  716  717 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 09:12 AM
link   
reply to post by JustMike

I'm sure TheRedneck will return when he is able to devote the necessary time

well I do remember him talking about moonshine before he left..

Maybe he is Doing the Necessary time

I agree with Mike..I am sure he will return to us as soon as he is able

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Press Release (Apr 15,2011)
Status of TEPCO's Facilities and its services after the Tohoku-Chihou-Taiheiyou-Oki Earthquake(as of 9:00AM)

Due to the Tohoku-Chihou-Taiheiyou-Oki Earthquake which occurred on
March 11th 2011, TEPCO's facilities including our nuclear power stations
have been severely damaged. We deeply apologize for the anxiety and
inconvenience caused.

Below is the status of TEPCO's major facilities.
*New items are underlined

[Nuclear Power Station]
Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station:
Units 1 to 3: shutdown due to the earthquake
(Units 4 to 6: outage due to regular inspections)

*At 3:56 pm on April 14, water spray to the spent fuel pool of Unit 3 was
started with the concrete pumping vehicle and ended at 4:32pm.

*On April 12th, in order to confirm the status of the inside of the spent
fuel pool, we collected approximately 200ml of water from the pool using
the concrete pumping vehicle. On April 13th, we conducted nuclide
analysis on them and detected Cesium-134, Cesium-137, and Iodine-131.We
are planning to conduct more detailed analysis hereafter.

*We have detected plutonium from the soils collected at the site on March
21st, 22nd, 25th, 28th, 31st, and April 4th. For the purpose of securing
safety, we enhanced the environment monitoring within the site as well
as its surrounding area. Also, we have detected iodine, cesium, barium,
niobium, ruthenium, molybdenum, technetium, lanthanum, beryllium, and
silver.
On March 28th, we conducted uranium analysis on the soil collected at
the site. As a result, the same level of uranium 234, 235, and 238 as
the natural level were detected.

*On March 20th, 21st, and 23rd to April 13th, we have detected
radioactive materials in the air which were collected at the site. The
data of detected three nuclides (Iodine-131, Cesium-134 and Cesium-137)
are released as fixed figures. Other nuclide figures are to be
re-evaluated based on improved measures for recurrence prevention which
have been prepared in accordance with a strong warning by NISA on
April 1st.

*On March 21st and 23rd to April 13th, we have detected radioactive
materials in the seawater around the water discharge port of the plant.
The data of detected three nuclides (Iodine-131, Cesium-134 and
Cesium-137) are released as fixed figures. Other nuclide figures are to
be re-evaluated based on improved measures for recurrence prevention
which have been prepared in accordance with a strong warning by NISA on
April 1st.

*On April 13th, we collected samples from seawater in the pit and in
front of the bar screen near the pit. As a result, we have detected
Iodine-131, Cesium-134 and Cesium-137 from the samples. We will
re-evaluate those samples for other nuclides as well.

*We conducted nuclide analysis on subsurface water (sub drain) near the
turbine buildings and detected Iodine-131, Cesium-134 and Cesium-137 on
April 6th and 13th. As a radioactive dose of the sample collected on
April 13th increased compared to that of April 6th, we received an oral
instruction from Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency to strengthen the
monitoring. In response, we increased the frequency of the sampling of
the subsurface water (sub drain) of Units 1 to 6 and deep well located
in the station from once a week to three times a week.

*From 0:30pm on April 13th, we conducted spraying dust inhibitor in order
to prevent diffusion of radioactive materials on the ground. This
attempt was conducted on a trial basis at the mountain side area of the
common spent fuel pool in the range of approximately 1,6000m2.

*From 10:17 to 0:25 pm on April 14th, an unmanned helicopter was flown
over Unit 1 to 4, in order to check the condition of the reactor
buildings and its surrounding area

Source
edit on 15-4-2011 by Anmarie96 because: Underlines and forgot the dang source

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by KaiserSoze

No, I'm looking for the docs I read, regarding ArEva, and Magna and new contracts. I've also emailed an investigative reporter in Germany re: some data. Please be patient, as I am getting "hard" data as fast as I can, between real life things I need to do. This is part of the problem of being an armchair detective.

Des

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Leo Strauss
Can they show us a photo of the reactor vessel?

Yes they can- but they will not.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

Thanks, looking forward to what you find. Keep up the great work.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Procharmo

If all pets within your area could not be evacuated would you stay with your dog? I don't understand the logic,be it dog, chimpanzee or spider. They are not a compatible species, you can't reproduce with them, outside of hunting what use would it have anyway?

Besides it would draw the packs of strays to your location and then you'd have all the dogs and trouble you could ever wish for.

Talking about Logic, I don't understand yours. Are you saying that to be compatible with something it has to be able to produce your offspring?

I would say, we are not the compatible species for this planet if you see what humans do this Earth!
You seem to forget what species created this bloody mess in the first place, the least we can do is show some compassion to the creatures who fall victim to our greedy ways, there's no place for human ego now.

edit on 15-4-2011 by Village Idiot because: annoyted

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by KaiserSoze
reply to post by Destinyone

Thanks, looking forward to what you find. Keep up the great work.

Thank You for pointing out, that until I have the hard data links it could be misleading! I've gone to my OP and edited it to clarify the post. I'm like a dog with a bone....just keep gnawing at that thing, the good stuff in the middle, takes time to get...

Des
edit on 03/28/2011 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Village Idiot

Ever seen packs of dogs that have gone feral?

Once they revert to feral animals they aren't man's best friend in any way, shape or form. They are ruthless pack hunters, and on top of that in northern Japan they are also likely to be carrying various particulate "iums" on their fur. As much as I love dogs and cats I wouldn't let one of them ANYWHERE near me and yes I'd put them down in a heartbeat.

As for my pets- I would evac with them even if they told me it would only be for a "couple days" (which shows an insane amount of trust in government that I do not share). Keeping dogs/cats in a vehicle outside an evac shelter is one way to manage it if they were not allowed in.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by SFA437
reply to post by Village Idiot

Ever seen packs of dogs that have gone feral?

Once they revert to feral animals they aren't man's best friend in any way, shape or form. They are ruthless pack hunters, and on top of that in northern Japan they are also likely to be carrying various particulate "iums" on their fur. As much as I love dogs and cats I wouldn't let one of them ANYWHERE near me and yes I'd put them down in a heartbeat.

Yes, I have. Way back when, I lived in Santa Cruz Ca., in a beautiful rural mountain area. We had nanny goats for milking/cheese making. Over a 6 month period, we lost 8 goats to feral dog packs running. The addition of an 8 foot high, barbed wire topped fence did squat in stopping their pursuits to kill our goats. The feral pack consisted mostly of little fluffy, and rover, and spot from the neighboring communities, and a side of tossers from idiots who dumped their unwanted pets in rural areas.

Once a domestic dog goes feral, they never lose the "blood lust" mentality.

Des

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Well it is clear that this thread has reached its threshold for usefulness. 700+ pages buried in obscurity are too discouraging for people to tackle. There have been some excellent contributions, but most of the intelligence gathered about these reactors is no longer current. If someone could put together an abridged version of “best of” from the thread, maybe we can salvage the basics for everyone’s reference. The best way to combat fear is with knowledge, and a lot of knowledge was shared here. Greatest thanks to the Redneck and so many others. Excellent detective work, one for the textbooks.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   
M 5.0, off the east coast of Honshu, Japan
38.644°N 144.694°E

Friday, April 15, 2011 13:00:19 UTC
Friday, April 15, 2011 11:00:19 PM at epicenter

Depth: 25.70 km (15.97 mi)
Posted on 15 April 2011 | 1:00 pm
newsblogged.com...

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Arluk

As mentioned previously regarding #4, they may be referring to the radiated water still in reactor but I don't know if it would be high enough to give these readings.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   

I believe the most recent report says it has not reached it's previous level yet, but is close. As for where it is going, one report on the day before they "stopped" the flow from the crack-hole said Tepco believed the water was leaking into the gravel layer below the tunnel, then into the ocean. This would probably be occurring below sea level, IMO.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by predator0187

Originally posted by windwaker
reply to post by predator0187

I think putting down animals in this scenario is actually proper procedure.
I think many humans will die because of their ideals in this situation.

I'm not saying bring all the dogs back right now without any thought behind it. Give them a bath, run over them with a geiger counter, if they are irradiated, euthanize, if not, they join the uncontaminated zone. There is no reason for an uncontaminated dog to be killed or left for dead when they could be saved.

I would have never left my dogs to begin with, so this situation does not apply to me. To me, my dogs are part of my family and I would be devastated if I knew they were starving to death.

I don't really like dogs, still couldn't bear to kill them, or even know they were being killed. but I love cats ..so same situation and feelings.

Heres what I think:

Most people here are exaggerating the impact in the absence of large amounts of data. Just because one area has extremely high levels of contamination doesn't mean its distributed evenly around the whole exclusion zone. It could be, but we just don't know. Unless readings are taken every hundred yards or so.

So by all means, save all you can, wash them, feed them. These people are there, on the ground, in Japan. We are scattered all over the place and just enjoy feeding each others fear on this thread. Its become a spectacle. There is a lot of enjoyment in speculating, but the reality is probably not as dire as ATS is making it out to be.

I think this is also why, when tepco does something we don't understand ATS immediately says 'oh god they are so stupid etc..' perhaps the reason is they have more detailed information than we have and are acting on it.

I know how this will be taken, but whatever, the reality is people on this thread don't know as much as people living in the situation.
edit on 15-4-2011 by bitbytebit because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Kailassa

Originally posted by Kailassa

If reactor 4 contained no fuel, how do you explain TEPCO's statement that radioactive material could be leaking from the pressure vessel of reactor 4?

Radiation surges above 4's fuel pool

Tokyo Electric Power Co. was unsure whether the surge in radiation was being caused by the spent fuel rods or radioactive material leaking from the reactor's pressure vessel.

Well, I am no TEPCO apologist, but remember that the reactor's pressure vessel would still be full of highly radioactive water, at atmospheric pressure, during refueling. If the RPV was damaged in the earthquake, the tsunami, or in any of the subsequent site explosions or fires, "radioactive material" (highly contaminated water) could indeed be leaking from the RPV.

Remember, with TEPCO it is always about semantics.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by apacheman

Originally posted by apacheman
Don't know if anyone noticed when I first posted this a lot of pages back, but it seems Reactor Number 4 wasn't exactly empty of fuel at the time of the quake according to this footnote in this report from JAIF:

Unit-1, 2, 3 & 4, which were in full operation when the earthquake occurred, all shutdown automatically. External power supply was available after the quake. While injecting water into the reactor pressure vessel using make-up water system, TEPCO recovered the core cooling function and made the unit into cold shutdown state one by one. No parameter has shown abnormality after the earthquake occurred off an shore of Miyagi prefecture at 23:32, Apr. 7th

www.jaif.or.jp...

It would explain a lot of the anomalies concerning No. 4 if it were actually in operation at the time.
edit on 15-4-2011 by apacheman because: fix link

The references to reactor #4 (on page 3 of the PDF document) refer to the #4 at the Daini facility:

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Interesting...one would think that TEPCO'S membership would avail them to awesome amounts of scientific data to help with the crisis...

Members www.themai.org...

logo-EDFElectricité de France (EDF), a limited company since 2004, is the world’s largest nuclear power operator with 58 pressurized water reactors in France. EDF has a total installed capacity of 63 GW, providing more than 85% of France’s electricity. EDF aims at being a long-term player in the current worldwide nuclear renaissance. It is then necessary to get ready to design and build new facilities while operating existing plants as long as possible in a safe and cost-effective manner. In front of these energy challenges and convinced that considerable progress can be obtained by putting together scientific efforts, resources, experience (EDF possesses over 1450 reactor-years of feedback) and skills with respect to materials employed worldwide in nuclear power plants, EDF decided to create the MAI.

logo-TEPCOTokyo Electric Power Company(TEPCO), is one of the three founding members of the MAI. TEPCO is a vertically integrated and investor-owned utility, servicing 28 million customers in the metropolitan Tokyo area of Japan. It produces 287 TWh of electricity from 62 GW of a mixed generation asset of nuclear (38%), LNG/LPG (38%), fossil (18%) and hydro (6%). Its nuclear fleet consists of 17 BWRs, which make TEPCO world’s largest BWR operator. TEPCO’s research and development (R&D) on material degradation started in 1970 when nuclear piping suffered from stress corrosion cracking. Since then, its R&D has been extended to material degradation and mitigation in severe service environments of nuclear, fosil and gas-turbine plants which now covers the less severe but difficult to control environmental degradation in transmission and distribution systems.

logo-kansaiKansai Electric Power Company(KEPCO), is a vertically integrated and investor-owned utility, servicing 13 million customers in the Kansai region of Japan. It produces 146 TWh of electricity from 34 GW of a mixed generation asset of nuclear (29%), LNG (20%), fossil (27%) and hydro (24%). Its nuclear fleet consists of 11 PWRs with about 50 % of its electricity production, which makes KEPCO the largest PWR operator in Japan. KEPCO has a 40 year experience of PWR operation since Mihama Unit 1, the first Japanese PWR, started its commercial operation in 1970. KEPCO’s research and development (R&D) on material degradation started in 1970 when steam generators tubes suffered from stress corrosion cracking. Since then, its R&D has been extended to material degradation and mitigation in severe service environments. It should be noted that the Institute of Nuclear Safety System, a 100 % subsidiary of KEPCO, is performing research works on material aging and other technical and social areas to enhance the safety of KEPCO NPPs and also to establish harmonious relationship between nuclear power and the society.

logo-epriThe Electric Power Research Institute (EPRI) is one of the three founding members of the MAI. The EPRI leads research, development and demonstration of technical and operational solutions in electricity generation, delivery and use. The focus and application of EPRI’s research and activities span virtually every aspect of the power industry, including reliability, safety, the environment, and energy efficiency. As an independent, nonprofit center for public-interest energy and environmental research, EPRI’s work is supported both by its members, which represent more than 90 percent of the electricity generated in the United States, and by growing international participation, representing more than 15% of EPRI’s program support. By teaming with organizations such as EDF and TEPCO, EPRI works with recognized experts in materials science and technology, ensuring that research and development efforts focus on critical issues with widespread industry

Inauguration of the MAI b www.themai.org...

On November 16th, the EDF R&D held an event to formally open the new dedicated facility of the Materials Ageing Institute (MAI) on the site of Les Renardières. Established in January 2008 in partnership with TEPCO (Japan) and EPRI (USA), MAI members represent nearly half of the operating nuclear plant capacity around the world.

Inauguration-yb
inauguration-jrJacques Regaldo, Vice President of the Division of Production and Engineering of EDF, underlined the importance of such an institute in the nuclear strategy of EDF: “To bring together the skills of various nuclear operators and those of other research centers to apply to the science of materials and components that make up a nuclear power station, a crucial issue for us the operators. The stakes are even higher today than five or ten years ago because all of the operators of nuclear power stations ask the question of how to increase reactors’ lifetime beyond 40 years."

Organized as part of the EDF R&D Spring of Research, the event gathered some 150 invited guests to officially launch the operation of this crucial laboratory in support of the international strategy for renewal of nuclear energy. The invited guests came from Europe, Japan, USA... for the opening of the MAI building. They represent plant operators (EDF, E-ON, British Energy, TEPCO, Kansai, Vattenfall,...), manufacturers (AREVA, MHI, Hitachi), research and development centers (CEA, EPRI, UJV,...) as well as scientists from many different universities and French Engineering schools. Founded in 2008, the Materials Ageing Institute was initiated by EDF and two partners: EPRI, representing all 104 of the American nuclear power plants, and TEPCO, the largest electricity provider of Japan. Yves Bamberger, head of EDF R&D and Jean-Pierre Hutin, Director of the Production program within the EDF R&D, summarized the genesis of the MAI: "Our ambition in creating the MAI was to keep the ageing of plants under control, as it is unavoidable. To be able to manage the ageing process, it is necessary to know how to plan it, to model it and then understand it."

Jean-Pierre Hutin detailed the mission and ambitions of the Institute: "Thanks to contributions of its members and its own capabilities, the MAI allows the exchange of operational experience and experimental results among power plant operators. Our purpose is to support them in their choices of operation and maintenance strategies by supplying them scientific data on the corrosion and degradation of materials ". Thus, the MAI strives to understand the mechanisms responsible for the ageing by observation, mathematical modeling and a research program equipped with advanced experimental means. Among them, the most significant is the FEI-TITAN, the most powerful transmission electron microscope in the world. "The opening of the MAI today allows us to show these capabilities to the current and future partners of the Institute", Jan van der Lee said. "TITAN is our flagship and thanks to the specific structure designed and constructed for its platform, we can reduce the energy dispersion to 0.08 electro-volts and reach a resolution of 70 pm, a subatomic scale." Participants in the opening ceremony saw demonstrations of the TITAN as well as other microscopes available at the MAI. Supported by its founding members EDF, EPRI and TEPCO, the MAI already represents 50 % of the installed nuclear power in the world. Eighty researchers are active in 8 current research projects in the Institute (stress corrosion, corrosion by oxidation or by erosion, embrittlement of alloys by irradiation, thermal ageing, etc.). With initial EDF investment of 15 M€ (building and research equipment) and 9 M€ of annual research budget, MAI has the means to significantly contribute to its members’ efforts in plant life extension.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Press Release (Apr 15,2011)
Result of discharge of low level radioactive accumulated water in the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station to the sea

There is currently great amount of radioactive wastewater in the turbine
buildings of the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station. Especially, the
wastewater in Unit 2 is extremely highly radioactive.

We think it is necessary to transfer the radioactive wastewater to the
Central Radioactive Waste Disposal Facility in order to store it in a
stable condition. However, ten thousand of low level radioactive
wastewater is already stored and we have to discharge the existing low
level radioactive wastewater to receive new liquids.

In addition, as low radioactive subsurface water is piling up in
sub-drain pits of Unit 5 and 6 and a part of subsurface water is running
into buildings, we are concerned that important equipment to secure the
safety of reactors will be submerged.

Based on the Section 1 of the Article 64 of the Nuclear Reactor
Regulation Law, we have decided to discharge to the sea approximately ten
thousand tons of the accumulated low level radioactive water and a total
of 1,500 tons of the low level radioactive subsurface water stored in the
sub drain pits of Unit 5 and 6 as soon as we get ready.

We evaluate approximately 0.6 mSv of effective radioactive doses per year
for adults as the impact on the discharge of the low radioactive
wastewater to the sea if they eat adjacent fish and seaweeds every day.
The amount (0.6 mSv of effective radioactive doses per year) is one-forth
of annual radioactive dose to which the general public is exposed in
nature.

Source

I wonder what China is thinking on this.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   
I'm not sure I get the discussion regarding the cameras installed by the Israeli firm. First, they were bought by Tepco and any images captured would be owned by Tepco. The opinion that the firm still has some right to them is unsupportable. It has electronic access to the equipment for maintenance and upgrades but just because the images reside on the hard disk doesn't mean they can go in and grab them whenever they want. It would be like saying Sony has a right to any video I shoot on my handycam. That they can't access them or Tepco won't let them is not a conspiracy.

Second. the tsunami wiped out the generators and they lost electrical capacity. I'm going to assume the camera system worked off electricity so it would be reasonable to assume the cameras have not worked since then. The logical conclusion is the only images the cameras might have in memory are between the quake and tsunami and those can't accessed since there is no electricty to fire up the hardware to retrieve them. That no images are available is not a conspiracy.

Third, Tepco might have chosen them because they had superior equipment,a lower price or better service. That they chose them over a Japanese firm is not a conspiracy.

The similarity of Areva and Arava (do I have that right?) is a coincidence. They're probably derviative of a hebrew/yiddish word or term that might be in common use in Israel. I live in San Diego, named after a catholic saint, but that doesn't mean my city is run by the vatican. Again, this is not a conspiracy.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by mrbillshow

I'm not implying a conspiracy. I'm researching the "chain of command" regarding release, or lack of, information.

BTW, the below meeting, is the same month that Magna obtained their contract with TEPCO.

Des

Continuing www.areva.com...

News brief

GROUPE / COMMUNICATION

April 16, 2010

AREVA participates in Nuclear Security SummitAREVA CEO Anne Lauvergeon participated in Nuclear Security Summit activities taking place this week in Washington, D.C. President Obama and global leaders were meeting to pursue a comprehensive nuclear security agenda to secure vulnerable nuclear materials around the world in four years.

The leaders of 47 countries signed a “high-level communiqué” that outlines efforts to secure or eliminate vulnerable stockpiles of nuclear material.

For AREVA, the communiqué reinforced many ongoing and cooperative non-proliferation efforts that the United States, France, and others support to protect weapons of mass destruction materials and expertise from illicit use and proliferation.

As part of the Summit activities, Anne Lauvergeon on April 14 has participated in a panel with industry leaders to discuss the security of highly enriched uranium and plutonium. The event, sponsored by the Nuclear Energy Institute, is titled “The Role of the Private Sector in Securing Nuclear Materials.”

Anne Lauvergeon also participated in a roundtable discussion with nuclear industry leaders to talk about forming partnerships and working collaboratively to guarantee the safety and security of nuclear materials. The roundtable was hosted by Vice President Biden.

AREVA has led the industry on the topic of non-proliferation and continues to demonstrate its leadership by its participation in conferences, support of key non-proliferation studies, and actions in support of international non-proliferation policy objectives. Examples include the MOX project, U.S. Department of Energy Global Threat Reduction Initiative activities in research reactor conversions research, and transportation of fresh and spent fuel repatriation to the U.S. from overseas locations.

top topics

<< 711  712  713    715  716  717 >>

join