It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 713.htm
<< 710  711  712    714  715  716 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 07:00 AM
link   
I have read a few posts that have been critical of some opinions/theories expressed here, and they have suggested that people stick to discussing the "facts". This is despite the fact that many theories on ATS have accurately predicted situations before they've happened - long before TEPCO has come clean with the information.

This has little to do with a desire for "anti-establishment rants" or desperate "fear-mongering", and more to do with people trying to sift through the confusing and contradictory information, and try to make some sense of the situation. People are worried about nuclear disasters for very good reasons - radiation is potentially deadly - it can be an emotional subject.

To demonstrate the confusing and contradictory news, I have this from Kyodo.

DPJ heavyweight prods Kan to sack adviser over controversial remark

...urged Prime Minister Naoto Kan on Friday to fire one of his aides over a controversial remark attributed to the prime minister regarding radioactive contamination in an area near a crippled nuclear power plant in Fukushima Prefecture.

...quoting the premier as having said people evacuated from homes near the plant would be unable to return to their hometowns ''for 10 or 20 years.''

...the premier had told him the remark was ''a bunch of baloney.''

Kyodo

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 07:15 AM
link   
Photo R4 being watered...

Clear photo R4 April 10th.

Des
edit on 03/28/2011 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 07:17 AM
link   
Good Morning Folks.

Corporate Information
Press Releases

Press Release (Apr 15,2011)
Payment of Temporary Compensation for damages caused by evacuation

Today, pursuant to Act of Special Measures Concerning Nuclear Emergency
Preparedness, the Japanese government's "Economic Damage Response
Headquarters" decided Tokyo Electric Power Company to pay "Temporary
compensation" to the people forced to evacuate due to the accident at
Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station. Following that decision, we have
decided to pay "Temporary Compensation".

"Temporary Compensation" is a payment for the residents living in the
areas that received the order of "Evacuation" and "Shelter in Place" due
to the nuclear accident (Please see Exhibit1 for the details). Pursuant
to the government's instruction "Emergency support to the afflicted
people with the nuclear accident", we will pay 1,000,000 yen per
household and 750,000 yen per individual's household.

From today, after consultation with local government of the designated
areas, we will hold information sessions and begin distributing
application forms at places such as evacuation centers.

We plan to establish the "Fukushima Nuclear Compensation Office" on April
28th, which will be the dedicated contact point for the matters related
to the damages caused by the nuclear accident as well as temporary
compensation.

We deeply apologize for the anxiety and inconvenience caused by the
accident in Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station to all the society.

Linky Exhibits at bottom of the link.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 07:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Moonbeams771

... and to demonstrate why this is such an important and emotional subject, which we are all entitled to have an opinion on:

The analysis of the health impact of radioactive land contamination by the accident at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant, made by Professor Chris Busby (the European Committee of Radiation Risk) based on official Japanese Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology data, has shown that over the next 50 years it would be possible to have around 400,000 additional cancer patients within a 200-kilometer radius of the plant.

This number can be lower and can be even higher, depending on strategies to minimize the consequences. Underestimation is more dangerous for the people and for the country than overestimation.

Kyodo

Underestimation is more dangerous than overestimation - that is surely commonsense?

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 07:21 AM
link   
A little more information about repairs being made to the shroud at reactor 4 prior to the earthquake and more water transfer/flow problems.

METI pdf
edit on 15-4-2011 by DancedWithWolves because: fixed photo

Core Shroud Cracking

The core shroud is a large stainless steel cylinder of circumferentially welded plates surrounding the reactor fuel core. The shroud provides for the core geometry of the fuel bundles. It is integral to providing a refloodable compartment in the event of a loss-of-coolant-accident. Extensive cracking of circumferential welds on the core shroud has been discovered in a growing number of U.S. and foreign BWRs. A lateral shift along circumferential cracks at the welds by as little as 1/8 inch can result in the misalignment of the fuel and the inability to insert the control rods coupled with loss of fuel core cooling capability. This scenario can result in a core melt accident. A German utility operating a GE BWR where extensive core shroud cracking was identified estimated the cost of replacement at $65 million dollars. The Wuergassen reactor, Germany's oldest boiling water reactor, was closed in 1995 after wary German nuclear regulators rejected a plan to repair rather than replace the reactor's cracked core shroud.

Rather than address the central issue of age related deterioration, U.S. BWR operators now opt for a dangerous piecemeal approach of patching cracking parts at least cost but increased risk.

Paul Gunter, NIRS, March, 1996, updated by Michael Mariotte, NIRS, March 2011

Hazards of BWRs
edit on 15-4-2011 by DancedWithWolves because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 07:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by apacheman
Don't know if anyone noticed when I first posted this a lot of pages back, but it seems Reactor Number 4 wasn't exactly empty of fuel at the time of the quake according to this footnote in this report from JAIF:

Unit-1, 2, 3 & 4, which were in full operation when the earthquake occurred, all shutdown automatically. External power supply was available after the quake. While injecting water into the reactor pressure vessel using make-up water system, TEPCO recovered the core cooling function and made the unit into cold shutdown state one by one. No parameter has shown abnormality after the earthquake occurred off an shore of Miyagi prefecture at 23:32, Apr. 7th

www.jaif.or.jp...

It would explain a lot of the anomalies concerning No. 4 if it were actually in operation at the time.

TEPCO has two nuclear power stations in Fukushima. They are Fukushima Dai-ichi (one) and Fukushima Dai-ni (two). Fukushima Dai-ichi, the older plant, has six reactors, and Fukushima Dai-ni has four.

The chart you got your information from is referring to Fukushima Dai-ni.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 07:59 AM
link   
Never sure if I double post

GUYS this looks potentially awful!!!

english.kyodonews.jp...

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by xxcatcatcatxx
Never sure if I double post

GUYS this looks potentially awful!!!

english.kyodonews.jp...

that is what we have been saying ever since the first explosions. you can read all about it in the first 100 or so pages

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Morning everyone.

Just wondering, has anyone heard anything new about where Redneck has gone? Looking at this profile, he has not logged in since Wednesday, and not posted since Sunday.

Anyway, thank you so much to all of the rest of the regular memebers in this thread! All of you are valiant seekers of truth, and I salute everyone of you.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 08:19 AM
link   
There is info out there...it's being suppressed...thus my quest for info led me to this quest too...

Been digging in the dirt here....According to company records, Magna B.S.P. obtained a contract in 2010, to place very high tech camera systems in Fukushima,
April 15, 2011 8:44 AM ET
Aerospace and Defense
Magna B.S.P Ltd.

Japan, Areva and Magna BSP sleep in the same bed....it's called the Isreal/Japan friends with benefits bed.

www.jpost.com...
Israeli firm’s cameras recording Japanese nuclear core
By YAAKOV LAPPIN

pdf file for extensive info. www.israel-japan.org...

Some back ground on this little company..Their primary customer base is...ta daaaa...Military/Defense
Magna BSP ltd
Rotem Industrial Park
D.N. Arava 86800, Israel
Tel: 972-8-6552668
972-8-6570396
Fax: 972-8-6552669

Magna BSP About Us
Magna BSP Ltd –Passive Electro-Optic Radar www.magnabsp.com...

Magna BSP produces a patented stereoscopic vision sensory system, based on a pair of electro-optic cameras, (CCD and/or thermal imaging infrared). The product maintains a low false alarm rate (FAR) while enabling high probability of detection on a predefined region of interest (ROI). It has a 24/7 capability of detecting targets as small as one pixel and even less. Due to its stereoscopic vision, the system can accurately estimate the size, distance, height above ground, azimuth and other features of the detected targets, and can filter the target by user-defined parameters.

Magna’s innovative passive electro-optical radar system is applicable to numerous areas of homeland security and other security and strategic applications including perimeter control, facilities protection, border security and coastal defense. The stereoscopic technology provides the best available solution for critical areas in airports and runways, like automatic runway safety surveillance. It is a combination of aircraft detection, bird detection, foreign object and debris detection systems (FOD), runway traffic inspection and intruder detection.

Key developments for Magna B.S.P Ltd.
Magna BSP Wins First Order for Japanese Reactors
04/27/2010

Magna B.S.P Ltd. has received its first order for its passive electro-optic radar system for perimeter security from Japan to protect nuclear reactors. The order is worth several hundred thousand shekels. The company is in negotiations for additional orders.

Major Product Lines
1. The OWL (Optical Watch Line) family: A virtual wall concept employing a network of OWL systems to generate an impenetrable obstacle.
2. The EAGLE family: Scanning biscopic protection for the defense of fenced-in areas and entrances.

Superior Quality
Magna BSP's innovative systems meet the most demanding performance requirements and international quality standards. The company is ISO 9000 certified, maintaining the highest levels of quality and reliability.

MAGNA BSP is a startup company founded in January 2001. Following successful product trials, interest was generated, orders were received and production began.

Our customers include:
* Israel Ministry of Defense (MOD) - special applications at extreme desert conditions
* Israel Defense Force (IDF) - air, sea and land applications
* Israel Defense Wall (Israel - Palestinian border) *Israel Prison Service (IPS) – top security jails
* Israel Harbor Authority, Ashdod port – Israel's main sea port
* The Israel Airports Authority, Ben-Gurion International Air Port
* Chief scientist of the State of Israel

Jump to today...notice that Magna B.S.P., EDITED TO REMOVE CONNECTION TO AREVA UNTIL I HAVE HARD DATA LINKS TO PROVIDE....yep that's the stinkie stuff...From BusinessWeek
investing.businessweek.com...

From the JPost: "As the world continues to gaze with concern at Japan’s Fukushima nuclear power plant, hi-tech security cameras installed by an Israeli defense firm are recording events at the troubled core from an insider’s vantage point. The Arava-based Magna BSP company, which specializes in producing and installing stereoscopic sensory and thermal imaging cameras, had been contracted to place cameras around one of the plant’s six cores – the core that has been experiencing explosions and overheating. Speaking to The Jerusalem Post on Monday, Magna’s head, Haim Siboni, said the thermal cameras also had the ability to detect the presence of radioactive clouds in the air, but added that Magnahad not been able to gain access to the images recorded by the cameras at this time." Stunningly not even the contractor is allowed to see its own recorded data: "Although Magna is able to gain remote access to its computer system, which receives the cameras’ images, Siboni said his company had not yet been authorized to do so. “We have not been allowed to take control remotely yet,” Siboni said." Surely the classified data must be perfectly normal if the completely discredited Japanese government is keeping it under such tight lock and seal.

Presenting The Latest Digitalglobe Satellite Photo Of Fukushima, As Thermal Imaging Continues To Be Top Secret
According to the latest Digitalglobe overflight, the situation in Reactor 4 continues to deteriorate. We wonder where precisely in the Reactor 1,3, and 4 wreckage are the working water pumps that are about to be electrified? Far more importantly, since heat appears to be the biggest issue, why have no thermal or IR photos been released to the public, and most importantly why is the Japanese government actively covering up thermal data? From the JPost: "As the world continues to gaze with concern at Japan’s Fukushima nuclear power plant, hi-tech security cameras installed by an Israeli defense firm are recording events at the troubled core from an insider’s vantage point. The Arava-based Magna BSP company, which specializes in producing and installing stereoscopic sensory and thermal imaging cameras, had been contracted to place cameras around one of the plant’s six cores – the core that has been experiencing explosions and overheating.
Digitalglobe www.digitalglobe.com...

Japan Earthquake and Tsunami
Image Collected March 18, 2011

These are natural color, high-resolution DigitalGlobe satellite images featuring the aftermath of the 9.0 magnitude earthquake and resulting tsunami that struck Japan's coast on March 11, 2011.
> Usage Guidelines
DigitalGlobe's Response

We put our constellation of three satellites to work collecting imagery as soon as we heard of the disaster. Starting Saturday, March 12 (Friday evening March 11 US time) we focused on collecting imagery of the entire impact zone, covering 48,000 square kilometers in a single day. DigitalGlobe has the largest image library in the world, with historical pictures showing the state of the area before the incident. With them we could clearly see the initial impact of the earthquake and the tsunami across the entire country.

Since then we have used the power of our constellation to amass updated imagery of the stricken region, including 300,000 square kilometers to date. Working every day, our satellites have witnessed the explosions and failures at nuclear facilities (including incredible images taken one minute before and three minutes after the explosion at the Fukushima Dai-ichi Nuclear Facility, Unit #3), documented the state of the country’s highways, and assessed damage at the main ports and refineries. Our images and analysis are available to customers online within three hours of collection every day, representing a near real-time cycle from collection to processing to analysis.

I'm still playing connect the dots here, most are hidden in a deep pile-o-poop-......it will take a lot of digging, I'm good at that. Don't know if this thread/forum is the proper place though. The only reason I've been doing this, is because there is a reason for such a tight lid on info...this is part of it.

Des

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by lasertaglover

Several days ago, TheRedneck mentioned that he had some personal matters to attend to and (to paraphrase) he said he was only posting at all even then, because of the seriousness of the situation in Japan.

I feel that his absence from posting in the past few days is purely because of the personal matters he alluded to. I doubt that there is anything more to it than that. We all appreciate that people have lives away from here and sometimes other concerns outside of ATS have to take priority. It has certainly been so in my case during the past week or so... Sometimes there are things that cannot wait and we need to deal with them.

I'm sure TheRedneck will return when he is able to devote the necessary time.

Best regards,
Mike

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

Des, Magna B.S.P. is based in the town of Arava -- as you noted in your own post. The Magna B.S.P. "contact us" on their own website confirms this.

On the Rotem Industries site it says here:

The Company

Magna B. S. P. Ltd. is a co-project of the entrepreneur Haim Sibony and the Dimona Technological Incubator under the auspices of, and partly financed by, The Office of the Chief Scientist of the Israeli Ministry of Industry and Trade (OCS), was founded in January, 2001. Aeronautics Defense Systems Ltd. and "angel" investors invested in the company.

I can't find any information in that Business Week article that says Magna B.S.P. is owned/under the umbrella of the Areva company. I think it's purely coincidental that the town where Magna is located has a similar spelling to the French company that supplies nuclear fuel rods. Rather, it appears to have connections to Rotem Industries in Israel.

Mike

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by JustMike

Just Mike, I guess I left that part vague, there's so much to this drama...Areva is using Manga BSP in new contract negotiations for nuclear facilities...I don't know if this is the proper forum, but I'll find some links for you. Sorry I didn't provide them with my post. Yes, Areva and Arava can get mixed up.

Des

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by JustMike

I agree 100%. I know there are times when I don't even get a single free moment to come on ATS at all (too many kids and a demanding job).

I appreciate the follow-up on him. I didn't think anything evil, just wondering about where a good guy had gone is all.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 08:59 AM
link   

No worries Des.
The webs are certainly complex.

I think that providing we keep such discussions/research of company relationships germane to the issues and problems in the Japanese nuclear power industry, there shouldn't be too much trouble with the "on-topic" issue. I for one would certainly like to know why an Israel-based company's cameras are being used at a Japanese nuclear facility: one would think that as the Japanese know a thing or two about cameras, they'd be able to source this kind of stuff locally.

If there is a provable ownership/controlling-interest link between Magna B.S.P. and Areva that would help to explain the above.

In any case I bet we'd all like to know why pictures from those cameras have apparently not been released. (Unless anyone can recall them being released??)

Okay, must go and get some work done...

Mike

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Japanese government adviser threatened with dismissal over telling the truth

A senior lawmaker of the ruling Democratic Party of Japan urged Prime Minister Naoto Kan on Friday to fire one of his aides over a controversial remark attributed to the prime minister regarding radioactive contamination in an area near a crippled nuclear power plant in Fukushima Prefecture.

Kozo Watanabe, the DPJ's supreme adviser, told reporters that he had urged the prime minister to dismiss Kenichi Matsumoto, a renowned writer serving as a special adviser to the Cabinet. ''That kind of aide should just be sacked. The residents of Fukushima Prefecture are really angry,'' Watanabe said.

Matsumoto, who assumed his post in October, sparked the controversy during a conversation with reporters Wednesday after his meeting with Kan, quoting the premier as having said people evacuated from homes near the plant would be unable to return to their hometowns ''for 10 or 20 years.''

link

I would say 20+ years minimum (depending on the area affected).

But how dare he tell the truth.

edit on 15-4-2011 by MedievalGhost because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 09:07 AM
link   
My opinion is that reactor 3 was destroyed by a gigantic explosion and the radioactive material is settling in tiny pieces all over Japan and the rest of the world. Can they show us a photo of the reactor vessel? Put up or shut up TEPCO!

Originally posted by silent thunder
Has this been posted yet? Sorry if so; there is no way I have the time to keep up with all of this thread.

Meltdown confirmed?

Nuclear fuel inside the crippled reactors at the Fukushima Daiichi power plant has partially melted and settled at the bottom of pressure vessels in the shape of grains, according to an analysis by the Atomic Energy Society of Japan made public by Friday.

The academic body's panel on nuclear energy safety has said the melted fuel at the No. 1 to 3 reactors has been kept at a relatively low temperature, discounting the possibility that a large amount of melted fuel has already built up at the bottom of their reactor vessels given the temperature readings there.

More at source:
english.kyodonews.jp...
edit on 4/15/11 by silent thunder because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anmarie96
reply to post by Silverlok

As I said earlier - They DO Watch us here

Finally found the beginning/introduction on the Yellowstone Thread - I was off by a few Pages

Linky

U.S. Department of the Interior | U.S. Geological Survey
URL: volcanoes.usgs.gov...
Page Contact Information: yvowebteam@usgs.gov

Bottom of Page One Source

Yeah I went looking briefly. Anyway my comment was in regards to Tepco watching, not the USGS, and really it was just in response to the (mostly serious) comments about how Tepco was doing things they read about here first. Just trying to ground some people.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Sorry if I am missing something but I don't see where "Magna B.S.P., is under the umbrella of Areva" is indicated in your post. I didn't read the entire article but I did read your entire post, twice.

Are you referring to this?
"The Arava-based Magna BSP company, which specializes in producing and installing stereoscopic sensory and thermal imaging cameras, had been contracted to place cameras around one of the plant’s six cores – the core that has been experiencing explosions and overheating."

If so, I understand "Arava-based" as indicating the city where thier headquarters are.
"Arava 86800, Israel", (city, postal code, country).

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by jjjtir

Without some serious intervention by people doing things that are right and not just cheap and easy, it will take 2 years minimum for there to be some decay.

More like 5 years. They'll just keep moving the target as things develop.

There are NO plans to try anything extrodinary. They are going to actively manage this, and hope that this will be enough.

I think they UTTERLY fail to understand the political situation, because they are so used to dealing with a compliant populace.

Because, if they don't start acting like some extraordinary measures and thought are happening, and the nations around them start showing effects of their negligence....well those countries are well within their rights to take them over.

Do they really think that anyone is going to give a good god damn if China decides they don't like being radiated for for 10 years and comes in with a populace willing to DO THE WORK? Anyone for one minute think that Chinese scientists wouldn't be coming up with the strangest ideas, maybe they wouldn't work, but they'd give it a try? Something Japan in its ridiculous conservative nature isn't even contemplating?

The one country most willing to act on their behalf in that case, they turned away during the crisis, because Japan was probably working on technology they are under restrictions about. Japan was working on a nuclear weapons program. Maybe for them, maybe for someone else and the benefit was that their scientists and technicians got the benefit of learning how to do it.

new topics

top topics

<< 710  711  712    714  715  716 >>

join