It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 71.htm
<< 68  69  70    72  73  74 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   
As well as asking for help from the IAEA Japan has also just asked the US for help to stop a meltdown:

The US Nuclear Regulatory Commission says that Japan has asked the US for help with cooling its damaged nuclear reactors, Reuters reports.
BBC 16.56 gmt

By changing tune soo quickly from safe and in control, to asking for immediate help from the iaea is an indication imho that they are or have lost control of the reactor.

Kind Regards

Elf

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

I had no idea they were storing spent fuel... sheesh, can this country get a break? Just one?

Gamma radiation is not wind-borne; is is electromagnetic energy similar to a microwave oven's energy. As long as there is some sort of containment, everything should be fine, and even if containment is lost, radiation suits would protect those exposed. There should be no long-range effects.

The fuel rods are what is worrying me. We have seen two hydrogen explosions, but luckily there has been no major breach. I don't like the odds of dancing that dance a third time.

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   
i definitely feel like alot of information is being withheld, i know the government keeps reassuring us, but especially the bbc twitter updates show otherwise

I'm about 500 km or more away, my geography sucks though, my friends are being relocated from nearer to this area i think. Also in the north it seems like a lot of the foods running out too ... guys this is a disaster

I just watched a documentary about Chynoble, will this type of scenario happen?
I don't understand how there could be explosions, then the rods are exposed, then there not, then the designer said the containers might not be storng enough etc, is anything actually confirmed by the government?

thanks in advance

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnySeagull
i understood that once the rods start melting there is no such thing as containment anymore. Nothing can contain them.

the latest news is that the rods in all three reactors appear to be melting.

i understood this to be the worst case scenario.

the only positive left that i am aware of is that they were not in production. they had been shut down when earthquake happened. so damage wont be as bad as could have been. however, locally i would imagine damage will be very serious?

From my understanding, even if the rods totally melt, there is still the containment floor underneath the reactors that are designed to "catch" the rods and contain them. The only way the melted core can go into the ground beyond that is if that containment floor is also somehow breached.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by odd1out

450kg, if I am not going insane here, is about 1000 lbs. and that sounds about right. That would be 5oo lbs. per reactor if it was intended to be split two ways.

And at 500 pounds per, ten reactors would call for 2 1/2 tons.

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   
radiation is very dangerous, even if its not a full meltdown, who wants to be walking around in radition..

Radiation is why Nuclear weapons are so despised, your lucky if you die in the blast, and doomed if you live and die, thru the fallout..

Nothing safe about radiation, and life..

Don't let the news tell you radiation is safe, or anyone. Ever heard of Cancer?

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

You keep saying no breach like your there...I'm thinking not a single person has been in there since the blast how could they it would most likely be hotter than h-ll and radiated further than a suit would protect. It seems to me especially after watching the yokosonews.com... press conference coverage that they are relying on the gauges and those say it's too low to measure. Also the no.2 reactor diesel generators have run outta fuel completely no coolant is being pumped. How could this not be melting down?
edit on 14-3-2011 by RickyD because: language sorry...

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   

There are Gamma particles "GCR" in the case of the nuclear reactor they are artificial GCR.
High MEV Protons from the nuclear reactor can also produce gamma rays and gamma emission. Gamma radiation is the most dangerous and can penetrate large amounts of shielding.

edit on 14-3-2011 by pepsi78 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Navieko

From my understanding, even if the rods totally melt, there is still the containment floor underneath the reactors that are designed to "catch" the rods and contain them. The only way the melted core can go into the ground beyond that is if that containment floor is also somehow breached.

I don't think they can be contained when metling. This is why we refer to it as a 'meltdown'

found this piece:

Without coolant around the rods, temperatures can rise to hundreds of degrees Celsius, almost certainly resulting in some melting.

This opens the possibility of a serious meltdown - where molten, highly radioactive reactor core falls through the floor of the containment vessel and into the ground underneath.

www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by RickyD

They are melting down! No question about that. But a meltdown is not a breach. A meltdown means the fuel has melted (to some extent) and therefore the control rods are no longer effective. A breach means the reactor has split wide open and is exposed to the atmosphere. That has not happened, based on what I have seen.

If a breach happens, we will be looking at a full-blown meltdown similar to Chernobyl, as opposed to a partial melt-down like is going on now.

There may be some cracks in the reactor vessels (minor breach); that is also a concern I have. The question there is how big, and how much radiation of what type is being released.

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnySeagull
I don't think they can be contained when melting. This is why we refer to it as a 'meltdown'

I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that the containment floor underneath was made out of some pretty darn strong concrete based material that was designed to keep the core from melting through... but I'm sure someone here (Redneck?) can clarify on that one...
edit on 14/3/11 by Navieko because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Without coolant around the rods, temperatures can rise to hundreds of degrees Celsius, almost certainly resulting in some melting.

That would mean the container would melt along with the rods.
But they are puting sea water for the container to resist heat, but are puting out large amounts of steam while doing it. If you ask me it's just like a breach if steam gets out of the container.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Ok that makes more sense thanks for the clarification...What do you think the visual signs of full meltdown will look like?

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Navieko

Yes unlike Chernobyl the 'floor' on these plants is very thick concrete - will try and find out how thick.....

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnySeagull

The fuel rods (uranium anyway) melt at 1132 degrees C.Source
The zirconium cladding over the fuel melts at 1852 degrees C.Source

They have already seen those temperatures in the core. The authorities have admitted to partial meltdown.

edit on 14-3-2011 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Everything was OK for the last 2-3 hours? The reactor 2 is still alive?
I've heard a piece of translation on the radio lately, they were talking about 2 explosions today. what could it mean?

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by xxcatcatcatxx

There is radioactive materials dispersed into air. Here it happens by steam, in Chernobyl it happened by fire. You should gather food and water. Tape all windows, make your house as airtight as possible. When the fallout comes, stay inside three days, not moving outside, and I'm quite sure you won't get sick.

----------

Hello everybody, this has been the best nuclear disaster thread out there that I have found. I've been keeping track of events in here in Finland as our media plays down the insident. (Will continue that, so don't expect quick replys.)

I just had to bring my part of knowledge here as Redneck wan't certain for fuel loads in nuclear reactors. There indeed is close to 100 tons of low enriched uranium! Uranium is heavy as hell and it's packed in 4-6 meter long fuel bundles weighting easily a ton each.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by pepsi78

As I understand it, energetic protons have half-lives in milliseconds, producing neutrons and beta particles (positrons) almost instantaneously. The positrons then produce gamma rays upon interaction with electrons. The majority of the gamma radiation is in the form of rays, not particles.

Gamma rays are very dangerous, but only locally. They are not airborne particles.

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by AstraCat

I think you have it backwards everything has gone downhill in the last 2-3hrs. yokosonews.com... Check that site for the most up to date non-partial source I could find so far.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Can't link to it but if you see theenergycollective.com and search for fukushima nuclear accident there is an excellent explanation of the layout of the reactors and explanation of what is going on - trying link:-

theenergycollective.com...

top topics

<< 68  69  70    72  73  74 >>

join