It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 708.htm
<< 705  706  707    709  710  711 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Source

Found this part of the article quite interesting, wonder why the Russian nuclear chief would say something like this. Especially with the information coming out now.

Oh well, interesting none the less....

Pred...

Seimens whom pulled out of Areva ( costing them 1.62 billion )was 'looking' at 'possibly' partnering with a Russian firm as the new seimens nuclear investment , but said they 'maybe' re-evaluating their position on nuclear investments.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by JackBauer

By keeping them covered it greatly reduces the particulate contamination; if the motors or gearboxes have open windings or shafts...

seeker

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Lil Drummerboy

The situation goes beyond the radiological crisis in the evacuation areas around Fukushima. I've stated WAY earlier in this thread that due to the high numbers of decomposing bodies that are too "hot" to remove, they will stay decomposing in an irradiated environment populated, by wildlife, pets and the occasional straggler (all looking for food), and devastated by multiple ongoing earthquakes and tsunamis where the longer we wait the more human biological "waste" finds it way into the environment. The compounding effects of biological and chemical contaminants escaping (from labs, hospitals, sewer systems) into a highly radiological environment shows the need for that area to be under a heavy-handed containment policy which includes the eradication of all infected life (CBR) in the area in order to mitigate the effects of a biological containment spreading into the utilities of a majorly populated area.

Only a few may be able to be saved. Those other will die knowing they will never be forgotten.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by DancedWithWolves

I would give stupidity as the first 'reason'.
They are probably rationalizing it as compassion for the displaced individuals.
Could be that the circular exclusion zones don't have homogeneous radioactivity levels, and they are giving access to areas that are not as dangerous. ???

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by the seeker_713g

By keeping them covered it greatly reduces the particulate contamination; if the motors or gearboxes have open windings or shafts...

why would they be taking pumps away from the plant tho?

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by windwaker
reply to post by predator0187

Really dumb idea. Those pets have to be put down because they are radioactive. If they bring them out of the exclusion zone they could be bringing plutonium particles out with them, externally or internally. The government should have forbid this.

Really so you're saying we should put down all humans and dogs leaving the Fukushima area interesting O.o.
A bit harsh no i think if you wash the contaminated subject down they won't have as much Radiation contamination anymore. just saying...

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by okiecowboy
reply to post by the seeker_713g

why would they be taking pumps away from the plant tho?
A very good question; are these "pumps" part of the normal deck apparatus of the barge, and just being secured from contamination ?

Or are they units recovered and in need of decon and repair, possibly very "hot" and being covered as an extra measure to prevent the deck crew from added exposure?

Without direct contact with someone that can verify what is under the tarps and the reasons behind it, all we can do is speculate...

but I have hauled "hot" turbine and pump parts for GE and Westinghouse on a flatbed that were only secured by being wrapped in rubberized tarps...

seeker

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 08:32 PM
link   
I'm going to put this out there because I haven't read it elsewhere on this thread (though I could be completely wrong), those white tarp covering the unknown objects are two kinds of the same thing: coffins.

Some of the shapes resemble human sized coffins while the smaller looking boxes are containers for "remains." I have the feeling that these were delivered to Fukushima in preparation of an upcoming major operation where a high mortality count is a significant possibility due to extremely quick radiation sickness and then death. These coffins would be specialized to keep irradiated human remains sealed within them.

It makes since to "seal" the bodies on-site in them rather than risk biological or radiological contamination off-site in a morgue. The sealed containers would only then have to be decontaminated before they go off to where the need be.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by XRaDiiX

The situation is much more than contamination from radiological sources. Please read my reply to Lil Drummerboy at the top of this page. Anybody still living within that zone because they would not evacuate is a biological, chemical and radiological health risk to the greater Japanese area.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by mistafaz

What about the workers at the plant ? They aren't going to put them down. Maybe put them into some kind of contamination but my reply to him was that that aren't going to kill humans essentially and why kill dogs maybe bring all the irradiated ones to a special centre..
edit on 14-4-2011 by XRaDiiX because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Really dumb idea. Those pets have to be put down because they are radioactive. If they bring them out of the exclusion zone they could be bringing plutonium particles out with them, externally or internally. The government should have forbid this.

I love pets and believe they should be treated as members of the family, but sadly I have to agree with you.

These animals have been so exposed they will be a source of radiation. The kindest thing to do would be to tour the area with a gun and an iron stomach.

If animals are going to be brought out they should at least be shaved first to remove their highly contaminated fur, and then scrubbed and scrubbed.

Poor things, I cried watching a video of journalists checking the area out, and seeing those dogs still so loving and trusting, happy to see people again.
But it's a modern, "civilised" society.
- Even the people don't get cared for.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone

But these tasks will be tough because the site is so radioactive and cluttered with debris from last month's hydrogen explosions. Meanwhile, the water level of radiation-contaminated water in the tunnel-like trench at Unit 2 dropped by 4.3 cm Wednesday morning after Tepco started pumping lethally radioactive water from its flooded turbine room into a nearby storage facility the day before.

New term for the ocean - nearby storage facility.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by mistafaz
I'm going to put this out there because I haven't read it elsewhere on this thread (though I could be completely wrong), those white tarp covering the unknown objects are two kinds of the same thing: coffins.

Some of the shapes resemble human sized coffins while the smaller looking boxes are containers for "remains." I have the feeling that these were delivered to Fukushima in preparation of an upcoming major operation where a high mortality count is a significant possibility due to extremely quick radiation sickness and then death. These coffins would be specialized to keep irradiated human remains sealed within them.

It makes since to "seal" the bodies on-site in them rather than risk biological or radiological contamination off-site in a morgue. The sealed containers would only then have to be decontaminated before they go off to where the need be.
yes, this has been discussed before; but , if memory serves me correctly, the photos of the barge arriving did not show these covered objects on the deck; but considering the limited amount of info available about this barge, et al, it is still just a matter of speculation;

I think zorgon posted the original pics, buried somewhere in this massive thread; perhaps he will kindly re-post them all so we can re-evaluate them again...

seeker

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Am I scared of plutonium? Hell yeah. It's a sure-fire killer and it has a half-life of 24,000 years. It's serious and dangerous enough to override any feelings of compassion for animals.

I think putting down animals in this scenario is actually proper procedure. And it doesn't matter if the plutonium is outside or inside the animal. If the animal leaves the exclusion zone and enters a clean, populated city, the plutonium inside of it presents a danger to the citizens. It would be like a living dirty bomb.

The fact that the government allows it's citizens to freely go into the exclusion zone and do such things makes me believe that they are m ore clueless than I thought, and that the whole country is in serious, serious trouble.

Humans have compassion, but radioactive isotopes have absolutely no compassion, for a very, very long time. You can't expect plutonium or cesium to care about us the way we may care about dogs. The radioactive particles will kill regardless.

I think many humans will die because of their ideals in this situation.

I agree plutonium is a sure-fire killer, if you ingest or inhale it, but you are saying this animals should all be killed because they are too close to the plant, what happens if they are close to the edge of the exclusion zone? Would you say the same if there was people in there? Should they be killed as well? If they ingested the smallest it would be undetectable and we would have no idea, so they would be a "dirty bomb" as well.

I'm not saying bring all the dogs back right now without any thought behind it. Give them a bath, run over them with a geiger counter, if they are irradiated, euthanize, if not, they join the uncontaminated zone. There is no reason for an uncontaminated dog to be killed or left for dead when they could be saved.

I would have never left my dogs to begin with, so this situation does not apply to me. To me, my dogs are part of my family and I would be devastated if I knew they were starving to death.

Human ideals are what got us this far in our evolution and you decide that they are bad for us now? Compassion is what supposedly separates us from the rest of the animal kingdom, if you have no compassion they call you inhuman.

I think they should be treated fairly as they are a life.

Pred...
edit on 14-4-2011 by predator0187 because: added some

edit on 14-4-2011 by predator0187 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrbillshow

It has been stated the only MOX fuel (at 33%) was in #3. Is there any evidence of it being used in other reactors?

No, but there is no evidence it was not.

There is proof TEPCO have a well-earned reputation for dishonesty and shady practices,
there is proof TEPCO wanted to use MOX more widely,
there is proof MOX makes shut-down more difficult and can prevent the process,
there is proof Fukushima reactors 1 - 3 did not shut down properly, and
we've seen TEPCO acting in a manner which could be interpreted as indicating they have something to hide.

So I'd suggest keeping an open mind about what is and isn't where.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Would you do the same if they were people?

Given the circumstances of this disaster...Yes even my own family if I had to. It doesn't make me happy or proud to feel this way but I'd do it if it meant less of a means for radiological particulates to spread. Saving those dogs is the weakness that embodies humanity in situations as these, compassion.

If it was my family, I would die with them, there is no way I could leave them. If my two girls and my wife were irradiated I would either end it for all of us or we would die slowly together.

There is no point in living without my loved ones, I might as well be dead.

I would die for them, if my family lived in Japan I would be trying to volunteer to help with the plants with the intended idea that I would not be coming back. That would be the best way to end my life; in order for my family and others to survive.

Pred...

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   
News from Singapore reveals mislabelled food... radioactive foods from Ehime prefecture actually came from Fukushima.

Apr 14, 2011
AVA lifts suspension on food from Japanese prefecture

www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_656832.html

THE Agri-Food & Veterinary Authority (AVA) has lifted its ban on food from Japan's Ehime prefecture.

A food sample, which had been tested positive for radiation, had been listed as originating from Ehime, but this was found to be a mistake on the part of the Japanese exporter.

After the suspension of food products from Ehime on March 24, Japan's Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries carried out its own investigations and confirmed that the perilla leaf sample tested had come from Fukushima prefecture.

(...)

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Would you do the same if they were people?

Given the circumstances of this disaster...Yes even my own family I might as well be dead.

I would die for them,

Pred...

Have you ever scene the movie 'the hidden'? the opening scene is quite interesting ...a man with nothing, ...well his path is as trackless as the wind ( so to speak ) , except I would be looking to TepcO and Armalite 70 as soon to be new acquaintances, quiet and loud are words I understand, I dislike the way one of those words fits to death in these cases, but ...

infrastructure becomes important in the care of these animals (a lot of people need help first and the 'owners' of some of these animals are dead), if they can be saved , moving them to lower contamination zones after this amount of time is somewhat irresponsible, but perhaps some of the people locally can build a containment just inside the zone at teh 50 click limit for the processing and adoption of these and other animals , the Japanese have done a great job at keeping BSE out of their country some federal funding in this area could go a LONG way in public relations and give some of the 'refugees something to do in the short term

I like Russians , and the Russian 'solution' is effective , but perhaps the difference in the Japanese mind set and culture makes an effort like this not only human , but also very face saving ( in a way a bit more noble than the band playing as the ship goes down )
edit on 14-4-2011 by Silverlok because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   
If I had to evacuate for any reason, I would not leave my pet companions period. They are not just my family but my Border Collies are my working partners. If I had personally been in any vacinity of these nuclear plants I would have immediately evacuated the vacinity just to be safe especially w/ EQ & Tsunami... Further out evacuations would have been decided on how bad the situation kept increasing & my news from ATS! A pet can be bathed, or shaved & bathed...I would have put coats on my dogs, & covered the cat & bird crates. I would get airline tickets for us all & if not possible would have driven & taken ferries, or whatever I could to get to the safest place possible. If any of my guys were to start suffering & could not be helped, then I would put that one down immediately...& etc.
I work with animals & when they cannot be saved they need to be put down in a humane way so they don't suffer...& unfortunately many humans cannot or will not make that decision. I think we as humans should have this choice for ourselves.
It is extremely sad those animals were abandoned & highly exposed (not blaming the people). There are many high risks involved to humans, other animals, & the horrific suffering they may or may not face (I'm not an expert). If there were a way to gather different species of animals & place them in a "safe" facility where they could be monitored & have all their needs provided is still NOT a solution because on the other side they may become lab experiments & endure suffering.

Everyone is different & the people who had to leave their pets probably thought they were coming back as we have seen here that the truth was not being told & imagine how devastating the people were once they were told they could not go back for their pets. My heart goes out to ALL the people.

I do NOT understand why humans were allowed in & so forth with these animals since they are ALL now contaminated...I'm learning from you brains here re this horrific situation. The options considered may be 1) Huge perimeter fencing (Tall maybe "Permanet" electric w/ solar panel) keeping animals in & others from entering & air dropping or ? food supplies...eventually MANY will still have to be euthanized & our feathered friends, reptiles, insects & etc are going to still be spreading contamination...fencing, food, & water = $$$$$ especially if they will not make it & only contribute to the problem...2) Send people in to humanely euthanize all the animals...3) Be truthful about the evacuation perimeter so the people on that outer bubble know the truth & can make the proper decision NOW based on what they truly need to make plans for if they re pets.

Sorry up front for this being so long & if presentation was poor...not much sleep for 2 days...However I do appreciate the EXTREME importance of this thread including the scientific info as well as the cultural side from Mike. I know I'm new but to have so MANY versatile professionals on this thread is amazing to me.

Ektar

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by XRaDiiX

The workers in and around the nuclear plant have had safeguards involved to mitigate (the best they can with what they've been equipped) their exposure levels to contaminants of different kinds to the but as we've learned in the past two weeks that those workers know that their deaths are soon at hand because of their involvement trying to avert disaster.

The people I refer to as falling under the policy of a containment response, which may include the eradication of contaminated living things within the evacuation zone, are the individuals who have not left there due to whatever their reasoning may be. Because they've decided to stay within that area and have opened themselves up to contamination from different sources, they must be considered a threat to the health of the Japanese people. They can stay in their homes til the day they die, but I would not let them step on foot outside the evacuation zone.

As for containment shelters from pets and wildlife... Why? How would that be an acceptable use of monetary resources during this crisis?

new topics

top topics

<< 705  706  707    709  710  711 >>

join