It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 703.htm
<< 700  701  702    704  705  706 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 06:56 AM
link   
102-year-old man in Japan's nuclear fall-out zone kills himself rather than leave home

* Man lived 25 miles from Fukushima plant but exclusion zone was extended
* Prime minister Naoto Kan faces calls to step down over handling of crisis
* Police search wasteland for up to 1,000 bodies of people still missing

A 102-year-old Japanese man, one of the oldest residents for hundreds of miles around, has taken his life because he did not want to leave his home in a newly-declared radiation zone.

The centenarian lived in the village of Iitate, which until earlier this week was declared safe from radiation pouring from the crippled nuclear plant at Fukushima.

Government officials earlier insisted that anyone living within a 19-mile radius of the plant must move and either stay with distant relatives or take shelter in an evacuation centre outside the zone.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 07:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Procharmo

Somewhere buried in this thread is a link to the fact that the next reactor planned to go MOX is #6. Just something to watch for information on as 5 and 6 return to the headlines in the days to come. Reactor #1 was the originally planned MOX reactor but local protests stopped that conversion according to reports. #3 obviously succeeded in the conversion plan to MOX fuel due to a change in the political climate. Also withheld until recently, or at least I had not understood it, was that there was fresh MOX fuel stored in the spent fuel pool along with the spent fuel rods. I will look for those links today.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 07:05 AM
link   
Surprise surprise... well not really... the Japanese government didn't said it was a Level 7 right away on fears it would cause panic.

Japanese Officials on Defensive as Nuclear Alert Level Rises

… Seiji Shiroya, a commissioner of Japan’s Nuclear Safety Commission, an independent government panel that oversees the country’s nuclear industry… suggested a public policy reason for having kept quiet.

“Some foreigners fled the country even when there appeared to be little risk,” he said. “If we immediately decided to label the situation as Level 7, we could have triggered a panicked reaction.” …

Typical government behavior.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tworide

Originally posted by Destinyone

Originally posted by Fractured.Facade
reply to post by Destinyone

10 Bar = 145.038 PSI.

Given the massive size of these vessels, that is a hell of a lot of pressure. Especially if it is water pressure.

Found this graph on the same site, and another one listed below first one. Maybe you can make heads or tails of them.

And numbers chart.

Des

Well, this spreadsheet is for internal consumption of the Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency & Ministry of Economy, Trade & Industry, it's on a secure server that they didn't password protect the files. I don't know how long this link will be available!

A rough transliteration of the spread sheet column headings: a=date, b=atomic furnace level A (mm), c=nuclear reactor water level B (mm), d=atomic furnace pressure force A(Mpa g), e=atomic furnace pressure force B (Mpa g), f=pressure vessel water temp (ºC), g=lower pressure vessel temp (ºC), h=DW (Mpa abs), i=SC (Mpa abs), j=DW CAMS (Sv/h), k=SC CAMS (Sv/h)

On the bottom of the spreadsheet are selection boxes, starting from the left, clicking the first box gives you the spreadsheet for the reactor selected from 3/15, the second box gives you a chart of pressure force A&B, the third box is a chart of pressure vessel water temp upper & lower, the forth box will give you a spreadsheet of readings from ~3/15. The left right arrows on the bottom will scroll the bottom boxes to the next reactor, using the same sequence for the display. Reactors 1,2,3,5,6 are on this spread sheet. 4 is not there!
Have fun!
Oh, and thank Masato-san for posting all this info, his twitter address is on the spreadsheet!
edit on 14-4-2011 by Tworide because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-4-2011 by Tworide because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-4-2011 by Tworide because: spelling

An addendum: There is a pressure correction factor to be applied to pressure readings as follows:
"Reactor pressure until midnight on April 6, the correct list of each number based on TEPCO announced April 06, 1.111 after correction with the value multiplied by the number."
That's a transliteration of the notice in red on the spreadsheet.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 07:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by 1SawSomeThings

I would agree with the fact that we would expect cesium 137 or other elements in the soil or groundwater around Oak Ridge, but since the samples are of "precipitation", do you think some Cs-137 is somehow still escaping from Oak Ridge to mix with atmospheric rainwater? Or does EPA maybe have a problem with collection procedures there?

I was more interested in views on I-131 spikes in places like Jacksonville, Kansas City, Salt Lake City, Nashville. These cities are far enough apart that the fallout could be considered North American continent by now.

I understand that I-131 has been downplayed due to the relatively short half-life. But if I-131 is around in any abundance, it is almost certain the Cs-137 and certain others will follow on dust, soot, and smog particles then eventually rainwater.
ETA: does anyone want their little kids playing in the rain with 200 pCi/l of I-131 for any amount of time?
edit on 13-4-2011 by 1SawSomeThings because: question,spelling

I honestly do not know if the issue is cesium from Oak Ridge currently being emitted or their collection methods or what; but I cannot see how rain with cesium could have hit Oak Ridge without also being detectable in Nashville or Knoxville. Our weather pattern since this has happened is moving precipitation from the west/southwest towards the east/northeast. In addition, most of our rain the past month has been large squalls stretching across the state and moving eastward. Sure there are small pockets of rain as well, but the coincidence is more than I can accept. It deserves a stinking fish emote...

The I-131 is concerning to me, but I'm thrilled there has been no cesium detected in my area. In fact, I'm wearing myself out this week trying to get my concrete raised beds finished to plant this weekend. I was going to build vertical supports for some vining plants in a few of the beds, but I have decided to use a vertical support system with bent PVC piping that can double as hoop houses for ALL the beds. Then I will cover them in greenhouse plastic to prevent excess rainwater from getting into the soil. I also plan to put a drip irrigation system in using city water because I don't trust the rain water. I'm really glad I didn't buy this new rainwater containment I was eyeballing earlier in the year. What a waste of money that would have been. Maybe next year.... *fingers crossed*

I admit to not allowing my son out in the rain the last couple weeks. Since TEPCO doesn't like to tell us about large radiation releases until weeks later (though we knew here) and testing results take days, I cannot on any day know exactly what IS in the rainwater. As such, I feel it's safer to not take unnecessary risk - even if the risk is small. Maybe I'm just paranoid, but it is hard to look at my son, who has his entire life ahead of him, and not feel just a little over-protective right now.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 07:21 AM
link   
I'm so sorry for the second double post. I only click Reply once but the post has shown up twice again. Very frustrating.

edit on 4/14/2011 by Aponi because: Double post

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 07:26 AM
link   
The weather reporter on NHK said there is going to be 'welcome rain'. I would have thought in this situation rain would not be a good thing.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 07:28 AM
link   
Onagawa nuke plant suffers jolt greater than designed in aftershock

The No. 1 reactor of the Onagawa nuclear power plant in Miyagi Prefecture on April 7 sustained a jolt greater than what it was designed to withstand during a strong aftershock from the powerful March 11 earthquake, according to nuclear safety officials.

The finding raises further doubts about the viability of the assumed quake resistance at the Tohoku Electric Power Co. complex, even though it had been shut down safely after the deadly quake last month.

Gee another one not safe... What a surprise.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 07:32 AM
link   
ETA Ignore this post: corrected by Makeitso in his/her post. ignore ignore ignore. Thankfully.

Why is TEPCO saying Reactor #4 was NOT shutdown for refueling now (even though they said this was reported in March - it was not!) ?

On March 11th 2011, turbines and reactors of Fukushima Daini Nuclear Power
Station Unit 1 to 4 (Boiling Water Reactor, rated output 1100 Megawatts) that had been operating at rated power automatically shutdown at 2:48 pm
due to the Tohoku-Chihou-Taiheiyou-Oki Earthquake (previously announced on
March 11th).

At 7:15 pm on March 15th, the reactor of Unit 4 achieved cold shutdown. As
a result, all reactors of Unit 1 to 4 at Fukushima Daini Nuclear Power
Station achieved cold shutdown (previously announced on March 15th).

As of 4:00 pm on April 14th, the reactors of Unit 1 to 4 are in cold
shutdown (please refer to the attachment). We continue to make our endeavor
to stabilize each plant.

TEPCO April 14 news release

ETA: emphasis added.

At the time of the quake, reactor 4 had been de-fueled while 5 and 6 were in cold shutdown for planned maintenance.

Source

Zorgon - yes we definitely need that smelly fish. This is....(words not allowed).

edit on 14-4-2011 by DancedWithWolves because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 07:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Procharmo

Ok found some sources which indicate AREVA were attempting to use 50 - 100% MOX in some newer PWR designs (AP1000) but they could have tried to retrofit Mk1 BWR's with 50% - 100% MOX fuel assemblies.

This would be illegal under the Nuclear authorities rules and would have required observed secrecy under white blankets etc.

In short if AREVA were to create 100% MOX fuel use in older BWR reactors. They would make way more money because there are more older reactors and new reactors take time and a lot of money to build.

That rates high on the list as to why the white sheets on the barge, the foot dragging on keeping any observers out and the level at 5.It may be a "co-inky-dink" but Siemens rather rapid withdrawal from the partnership with AREVA on possible regulatory transgressions they found out about (or maybe knew?)?

OK, evidence is "outa here", no barge, no JSDF destroyer, lets raise the level to 7, invite everyone in to help and tell (almost) all!

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 07:55 AM
link   
reply to post by DancedWithWolves

Because that is a different facility.

Not the one that is in trouble.

Daiichi vs. Daini

edit on 4/14/11 by makeitso because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 07:58 AM
link   
reply to post by makeitso

OMG you are correct. THANK YOU.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 08:07 AM
link   
The Kyodo news ticker is saying:

NEWS ADVISORY: Groundwater radiation level rose 10-fold in 1 week at nuke plant: TEPCO (22:0...

Kyodo news

I don't see any updated news report yet further explaining the headline, but I'll watch for one.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 08:19 AM
link   
The newest thermal images are posted for Daiichi buildings 1 through 4. No. 4's spent fuel pool has an estimated temp of 63C for 4/14, up from 37C on 4/12.

Thermal images

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 08:48 AM
link   
I visit this thread multiple times per day and this is my primary source of information that I share with family/friends, I want to thank everyone on this thread for their contributions.

In regards to TheRedneck, the longer he is absent, the more my conspiracy antenna tingle.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Shake rattle n' roll...Good Morning Friends.

M 5.1, off the east coast of Honshu, Japan
39.717°N 143.380°E

Thursday, April 14, 2011 10:32:35 UTC
Thursday, April 14, 2011 08:32:35 PM at epicenter

Depth: 29.50 km (18.33 mi)

Posted on 14 April 2011 | 10:32 am

Des

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   
New report results. It appears , at least to me, TEPCO has managed to put themselves in the drivers seat in doing all the testing. What happened to independent, outside of the influence of TPTB, radiation testers.If the only information we are getting is from the mouths of sneaky, agenda driven mongers, then all we get is lies.

The "skew" factor is in full swing with this report...

International Atomic Energy Agency Briefing on Fukushima Nuclear Accident, 13 April 2011 (14:30 UTC)

Vienna, Austria--(ENEWSPF)--13 April 2011 - 14:30 UTC.

Presentations: → Summary of Reactor Status

1. Current Situation

Overall, the situation at the Fukushima Daiichi plant remains very serious but there are early signs of recovery in some functions such as electrical power and instrumentation

There have been no changes concerning the provisional INES Level 7 rating and protective measures as reported in yesterday's brief.

www.enewspf.com... 1430-utc.html

Des

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Q+A-Risks at each reactor of Japan's stricken plant By Mayumi Negishi and Chizu Nomiyama

TOKYO, April 14 | Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:48am EDT

-- REACTOR No 2: 784-MW (Manufacturer: GE, Toshiba)

This reactor is flooded with the most deadly waters. A worker would exceed his annual quota of radiation after just 15 minutes in the basement of the turbine building.

Workers have transferred 660 tonnes of the radioactive water out of basement and reactor's tunnel into its condensers, but the water level failed to go down by much, and workers now plan to pump water to tanks on the site's central radioactive waste facility.

If engineers cannot pump out water faster than it leaks back in, TEPCO might have to set up an external cooling pump system outside the turbine building.

Nobody wants that water dumped into the sea. Japan has already dumped low-level contaminated water into the ocean to make space to store the more toxic water on site, drawing international criticism.

Engineers are now struggling to cool the reactors to the point where they can be safely shut down. Until the cooling pumps, or alternatives, are online to continually cool the reactors, workers are forced to periodically inject new water to keep the fuel cool, but that creates more contaminated water.

The immediate challenge is to transfer and store the contaminated water, while at the same time limit as much as possible the spread of radiation still leaking into the atmosphere and sea. At the moment, workers do not have access to the cooling systems in reactors No.1, No.2 and No.3.

So far, eight workers have sustained injuries from radiation at the Daiichi plant. All have been released from hospital

TOKYO, April 14 | Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:48am EDT By Mayumi Negishi and Chizu Nomiyama

Reactor A# 4. At the time of the earthquake and tsunami on March 11, the reactor was undergoing maintenance, and all fuel had been transferred to the spent fuel pool.

Four days after the quake, the spent fuel pool caught fire and caused an explosion. Japan's nuclear safety agency said the blast punctured two holes around 8 metres square in the wall of the outer building of the reactor.

The pools contain racks that hold spent fuel taken from the reactor. Operators need to constantly add water to the pool to keep the fuel submerged and trap radiation.

TEPCO sampled the water this week and detected small increases in radioactivity in the water. Nuclear authorities are trying to gauge if the increase in radiation is airborne or from damage to the Unit 4 fuel.

www.reuters.com...

Des

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Thank you, Zorgon, for explaining what was meant by "fire" (not really conventional fire). I get it now.

I will be visiting LV in May to see my new nephew!

Peace

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by NoAngel2u
reply to post by mrbillshow

Uncalled for and harsh assessment.
D you expect everyone to make you happy with robotic and emotionless reporting of straight facts and data?

It's a tough and emotional subject that posters have been spending a great deal of time immersed in researching, reporting and reading AND there has been a great deal more self control than lack thereof in posting emotional rants, commentary and far out speculations.

Much gratitude to all involved for their dedication to gathering an presenting this information and being human

edit on 4/13/1111 by NoAngel2u because: (no reason given)

No, but conspiracy mongering only mucks up the thread and makes it look goofy.

For instance, the barge in the middle of bay. A week or so ago one press/media report stated workers were filling sand bags because they were going to reinforce the breakwater. To me this indicated they were probably going to attempt to close it off at a narrow juncture in an effort to keep radiated seawater from entering to the outside. I thought it was a pretty good idea. So now we have pics of a barge loaded with sandbags covered by white tarps and a crane to lower them into place. Pretty simple explanation. But on this thread it has become a gigantic conspiracy to hide equipment from a mysterious and hidden weapons program by dumping them in the bay.

top topics

<< 700  701  702    704  705  706 >>

join