It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 702.htm
<< 699  700  701    703  704  705 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 02:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheOneEyedProphet
700 pages of being on the cutting edge, of proving the naysayers and plants that a community driven effort could indeed have all it takes to take this hijacked ship from them, and finally have a chance at choosing our own futures instead of letting those sad buffoons drive this thing off a radioactive cliff with us in the backseat smelling our own farts!

Fair warning: I've been eating chips and garlic-flavored hummus.

Yummy, but
afterward!

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 02:26 AM
link   
Mox fuel rods can be used to make weapon-grade plutonium easily, and they have a mox fuel fabrication plant already somewhere else. I think they might be testing or building a 100% mox fuel reactor at Fukushima, which is reactor 4?

Fast breeder reactors usually use a mixed oxide fuel core of up to 20% plutonium dioxide (PuO2) and at least 80% uranium dioxide (UO2). Another fuel option is metal alloys, typically a blend of uranium, plutonium, and zirconium. Enriched uranium can also be used on its own.

Several prototype FBRs have been built, ranging in electrical output from a few light bulbs' equivalent (EBR-I, 1951) to over 1000 MWe. As of 2006, the technology is not economically competitive to thermal reactor technology—but India, Japan, China, Korea[clarification needed] and Russia are all committing substantial research funds to further development of Fast Breeder reactors, anticipating that rising uranium prices will change this in the long term. Germany, in contrast, abandoned the technology due to political and safety concerns. The SNR-300 fast breeder reactor was finished after 19 years despite cost overruns summing up to a total of 3.6 billion Euros, only to then be abandoned.

en.wikipedia.org...

Originally posted by maria81

Originally posted by zorgon

Originally posted by maria81 But these isotopes can of course be removed from water containing them.

Yes they can... and that is why Fukushima has a treatment plant on site just for that...

However (to quote a well used TEPCO word) that plant was full to capacity and takes TIME to clean the water before releasing it. But TEPCO just dumped 10,000 tons of the 30,000 tons capacity into the sea (containing low levels, only 500 times higher) to make room for the highly contaminated water in the buildings

So yeah they can clean it, but not that quickly or that much volume

That sounds interesting, because it works the other way too... you can produce heavy water with this enrichment plant to produce weapon-grade plutonium in another type of reactor. Could it be that it was this what they tried to hide?

edit on 14-4-2011 by hack2011 because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-4-2011 by hack2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 02:43 AM
link   
Has anyone noticed that radiationnetwork.com has only been showing a report from Arizona? Nothing else is showing on the map. Been that way for 3 hours now.

radiationnetwork.com

I don't know how to put in a picture I saved.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 02:44 AM
link   
Deutsche Presse-Agentur - Japan starts search for missing near damaged nuke plant
14.04.2011 11:05

en.trend.az/regions/world/ocountries/1861064.html

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 02:50 AM
link   
reply to post by be4peace

That is weird. The one station that's showing is their local station in AZ (you can tell from the color code).

Their last entry on their messages page was two days ago, and it looks like they've had some erroneous spike readings in certain areas of the country. Hopefully this is just some kind of "office" problem and not anything worse.

Although, now that I think about it, Arnie's video from today DID say that information has been less than forthcoming, even in the states.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 03:01 AM
link   
reply to post by notsofunnyguy

I also hope it's a glitch. blackcatsystems.com seems to still be working. I'm hoping someone isn't trying to block this info from us too.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 03:07 AM
link   
'Radioactive' child from Fukushima bullied at school

A child evacuee from an area near the troubled nuclear power plant in Fukushima Prefecture was bullied by other children, who taunted him, saying he could infect others with radiation, an education board in Chiba Prefecture said Thursday.

After learning about the incident through an anonymous phone call, the board in the city of Funabashi instructed 83 local elementary and middle schools to tell their students to be kind to the evacuees and be considerate of their feelings.

link

Very sad. In Japanese culture, one of the greatest fears is to be rejected by the group and become an outcast.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 03:13 AM
link   
Radiation now in the food in California.

UCB Food Chain Sampling Results

Not good.

reply to post by MedievalGhost

And this ain't much of a surprise for Japan... since those who survived the nuclear bombings were outcasts all their lives.
edit on 14-4-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 03:14 AM
link   
Wow and holy cow!

It looks like there are cracks appearing in the damn dam that has been holding the information back and our collective attention is widening those cracks.

I'm a parent of five children, and as with them, we've been able to smell the lies and half-truths from across the Pacific. And also just like with kids, the more you probe and question, the more evident the lies become.

I've been posting fairly regularly to my FB status with many of the links that have been presented here and have been surprised at some of the people who have begun taking an interest. It almost begins to start a glimmer of hope in my mind regarding the awareness of most people.

Thank you everyone who has given of your time and energy to bring this information to us and most especially to those who have been able to share their expertise gained from training and observation.

I too am a bit worried by the continued absence of the Redneck and hope that he is merely busy with his shop or even work.

Keep it up everyone!

To the sunless lands I go.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 03:28 AM
link   
So whats the go with this. Where is this all heading. Is this the end of the world as we know it or what? Where are we at with this disaster, Excuse my ignorance

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 03:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by MedievalGhost
Wow, everyone here is really on the ball today. Keep the great flow of info coming.

Something to note: Recently I have told many Japanese people that Japan has 53 nuclear power plants. No one I told knew that. No one.

I thought it was 55 not 53? No one outside of this and a few other forums cares!

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 03:37 AM
link   
reply to post by be4peace

I have not found any current readings either, been raining alot here. I'm hunkered down until I need food and that will be Monday.
Anyone find any radiation readings for the US?

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 03:51 AM
link   
S. Korea simulates N. Korea attack on nuclear site
(AFP) – 1 day ago

www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5im9rsd02vhFGVlHcStZ09q1JLPQg

(...)

Its oldest reactor at Gori was coincidentally turned off Tuesday due to an electrical malfunction amid growing controversy over the extension of its life.

There were no safety risks to the 587,000-kilowatt reactor and no radiation leaks, state-run Korea Hydro and Nuclear Power said, adding it was repairing an electrical component.

The reactor was temporarily turned off in 2007 at the end of its 30-year operation life cycle. But operators received government approval last year to stay online for another 10 years after updates to safety systems.

(...)

Yonhap - Circuit breaker problem causes reactor shutdown

english.yonhapnews.co.kr/business/2011/04/14/0502000000AEN20110414006900320.HTML

Yonhap - S. Korea's oldest nuclear reactor shut down on electrical fault

english.yonhapnews.co.kr/business/2011/04/13/94/0501000000AEN20110413003800320F.HTML

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 03:59 AM
link   
Japan Mulls to Move Capital over Disaster Worries

Finally thinking about evacuating Tokyo... took them a while.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 04:01 AM
link   
Excessive radioactive cesium found in fish caught off Fukushima

TOKYO, April 13, Kyodo

english.kyodonews.jp/news/2011/04/85289.html

TEPCO confirms damage to part of No. 4 unit's spent nuke fuel

TOKYO, April 14, Kyodo

english.kyodonews.jp/news/2011/04/85295.html

Deutsche Presse-Agentur - High radioactivity in fish, vegetables near stricken plant

Apr 14, 2011, 1:49 GMT

www.monstersandcritics.com/news/asiapacific/news/article_1632842.php/High-radioactivity-in-fish-vegetables-near-stricken-plant

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 04:01 AM
link   
reply to post by mrbillshow

I don't agree. Yes a nuclear expert is handy. But we also have data crunchers, graphic artists, journalist, problem solvers and many other vocations.

A lot of info has and can be quickly learned from the net. No it won't make you an expert but face it. Most of the cover ups have been simple mistakes and not complicated drop offs.

Like Arnie said the main difference between TMI, Chernobly and Fukishima is .....................the NET!

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 04:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Silverlok
reply to post by JackBauer

The was reported to be no fuel in the core , but the hot and not so hot ( waste rods ) were stored in the pool around and near the top of the reactor.

From all evidence Tepco does not like the attention the idea of 1535 fuel rods turning into smoke and blowing away is attracting ( from the Areva report , their assessment is : dry pool likely all rods aerated or gone) especially as it seems to be prompting Stronium detection far from the plant .

They have suddenly become vocal after about two weeks of relative secrecy , and started spewing 'stuff' about #4
here is the offical statement

it is as pure a snake oil as you will every see :

Some

of the spent nuclear fuel rods stored in the No. 4 reactor building of the crisis-hit Fukushima Daiichi power plant were confirmed to be damaged, but most of them

are believed to be

in sound condition, ..... its analysis of a 400-milliliter water sample taken Tuesday from the No. 4 unit's spent nuclear fuel pool revealed the damage to

some fuel rods

in such a pool for the first time,.....,

had all of its 1,331 spent fuel rods and 204 unused fuel rods stored in the pool for the maintenance work and the fuel was feared to have sustained damage from overheating.

The cooling period for 548 of the 1,331 rods was shorter than that for others and the volume of

decay heat

emitted from the fuel in the No. 4 unit pool is larger compared with pools at other reactor buildings. ... The government's Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency said the confirmed radioactive materials were up to 100,000 times higher than normal but that the higher readings may have also been caused by the pouring of rainwater containing much radioactivity or particles of

radiation-emitting rubble in the pool.

they do not say this is a current condition , they do not say HOW they got a sample of water from a radioactive source 100,000 times normal, they only admit to
"revealing.....for the first time"

not that it happened today or yesteday

they forget to mention that there should NOT be decay heat as if the reactor was just scrammed ( no to say there would be no heat but they are deliberately stretching a term that is not exactly informative in this circumstance )

and in the end some truth "radiation emitting rubble in the pool"

edit on 13-4-2011 by Silverlok because: you see when the backs into the corner it appears to get larger..trickery trickery

edit on 13-4-2011 by Silverlok because: (no reason given)

As I remember, after reactor building 4 exploded they first cooled down the reactor 4 spend fuel pool with sea water. Now they are topping it up with sweet water. Sea water and fresh water don't mix very well and the fresh water, being lighter, floats on top. My guess is that the highly contaminated salt water was not sampled, only the relatively uncontaminated sweet water upper layer.

In other words, the 400 cc sample may not be a representative water sample. Therefore statements about the intactness of the rods are shakey.

Mendel.

Edit: source of news article stating they intend to replace sea water with fresh water dated March 25.

edit on 14-4-2011 by mendel101 because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-4-2011 by mendel101 because: typos

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 05:22 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 05:39 AM
link   
reply to post by hack2011

I did say exactly that way back on the 12th or 13th. I couldn't find the source but distinctly remember reading and article saying MOX rods are typically used in 1/3 of a core.

The Japanese in corporation with AREVA were looking at 50% MOX reactors and even considering 100% MOX reactors.

Unfortunately when I try to find the source I only find my own posts on this and other forums!

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 06:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Procharmo
reply to post by hack2011

I did say exactly that way back on the 12th or 13th. I couldn't find the source but distinctly remember reading and article saying MOX rods are typically used in 1/3 of a core.

The Japanese in corporation with AREVA were looking at 50% MOX reactors and even considering 100% MOX reactors.

Unfortunately when I try to find the source I only find my own posts on this and other forums!

Ok found some sources which indicate AREVA were attempting to use 50 - 100% MOX in some newer PWR designs (AP1000) but they could have tried to retrofit Mk1 BWR's with 50% - 100% MOX fuel assemblies.

This would be illegal under the Nuclear authorities rules and would have required observed secrecy under white blankets etc.

In reality secret weapons experiments would best be carried out at the nuclear reprocessing plant as opposed to the commercial reactor.

I really do not think there was secret weapon stuff going on at Fukishima. However using 100% MOX in all older designs of reactors would make AREVA a lot of money.

Found it

Safe and efficient use of MOX fuel in Japanese commercial reactors was successfully demonstrated by two testing campaigns performed in the late 1980s. The Tsuruga 1 unit was loaded with 2 MOX fuel assemblies between 1986 and 1990, and the Mihama 1 unit was loaded with 4 MOX fuel assemblies between 1988 and 1991.

Like France, Japan will load its commercial nuclear reactors with a in-core MOX ratio of around 30%.
Research and development programmes are underway in Europe and Japan to increase the percentage of MOX fuel assemblies to be loaded in a reactor. For instance, French and German companies are jointly working on the EPR project (European Pressurised Reactor).

This reactor, whose commissioning is planned for the first decade of the 21st century, is basically designed to operate with 50% MOX core loading and 100% MOX core loading is considered.

Japan is also working on a new generation reactor known as the Advanced Boiling Water Reactor (ABWR) that will use a full MOX fuel core.

In short if AREVA were to create 100% MOX fuel use in older BWR reactors. They would make way more money because there are more older reactors and new reactors take time and a lot of money to build.

edit on 14-4-2011 by Procharmo because: Spelling

top topics

<< 699  700  701    703  704  705 >>

join