It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 70.htm
<< 67  68  69    71  72  73 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   
A few facts and figures about Plutonium.

www.ieer.org...

Obviously, the local effects of Pu release would be almost unthinkable on a local level. As for how far it could disperse in concentrations large enough to be a health hazard (although you could say that almost any small amount is potentially hazardous) I wouldn't know. Perhaps some more knowledgable types can chip in some information here.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by xxcatcatcatxx

whereabouts in japan are you?

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   
The American, Mainstream media, sucks so bad.

The media, is suppose to be working for the people. Not the powers that be.

I have to basically guess, at the severity of this just by the small crumbs of information the powers that be cannot hide, the evacuation of civilians, the removal of the 7th fleet due to radiation poisoning, and some explosions..

Pretty pathetic Media coverage..

Not to mention we are getting very little information on the tsunami, and EQ.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Nagoya, about 500km south of tokyo, is that enough to be safe, my friends are only 100miles south of fukushima, Im so worried

xxx

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by xxcatcatcatxx
Nagoya, about 500km south of tokyo, is that enough to be safe, my friends are only 100miles south of fukushima, Im so worried

xxx

you have to watch the direction of the wind. 1oo miles is not far enough.. Watch the wind..

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Erasurehead
I heard this from contacts in Japan. The fuel rods in the #2 reactor are almost fully exposed to air. They are expecting another hydrogen explosion in reactor #2. This should happen today. Partial meltdown is already occurring.

The radiation being released is higher than being reported so not to panic the public. This will increase if/when the #2 bulding explodes.

The situation is dire. They will be expanding the evacuation zone again to get people away from the radiation.
They are running out of options.

More to add. In a bid to prevent a hydrogen explosion in the building of reactor #2 they want to break a hole open in the roof to release some of the hydrogen bulding up. The problem is that it is too dangerous for workers to get close enough to work on breaking through the roof. A hydrogen explosion is eminent unless pressure can be relieved in the building.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   
The recent press conference with TEPCO seemed like they weren't answering the questions the press was posing to them per reports from ( Source ) The guy reporting said it's either they just don't know or are dodging questions they didn't want to answer. Tune in as he is still covering that press conference...

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   
I think some people are confusing meltdown with breach in containment. Fuel rods not covered in water will eventually melt due to excess heat but this does not surely mean they will break containment.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by ethancoop

Where is the radiation coming from if everything is contained?

never mind. Something is wrong over there is what I am getting at. I dunno what you wanna call it, radiation is in the air.. Looks like allot of it also..
edit on 14-3-2011 by Bicent76 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Bicent76

simple if you want to put something in an closed vessel ..there needs to come something out...........
so they pump water on the hot core that becomes steam and pressure pressure must be low to pump water in ..so they release radioactive steam.........

edit on 14-3-2011 by ressiv because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by bluemooone2

No, it doesn't... I think someone has gotten their figures mixed up.

I don't remember exactly how much fuel was on site when our plant was getting ready for start-up, but I want to say it was less than a ton? No one shoot me if my memory is off on that, though.

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Bicent76

The only hard fact we have is that the radiation is from them venting steam from the reactors. Any other 'source' of radiation is pure speculation.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   

First off: stay calm. Fear will not help you. Fear is the enemy.

Second: know that as far as I can see, you should be very proud of your country and countrymen... they are doing everything they can. Ignore the rumors. The real info is inside those plants trying to get them shut down safely.

Third: listen to the authorities. They are trying to help. They will have orders based on the types of radiation involved and the needed solutions.

Fourth: welcome to ATS. You now have a whole community for support.

May I ask how close you are to the affected power plants?

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

One question here, and my apologies if this has already been addressed.
If this is the case, as it is believed by those on the inside, it seems this would increase the dangers altogether in Japan, and other areas by wind?

Inside the plant, according to industry executives and American experts who received briefings over the weekend, there was deep concern that spent nuclear fuel that was kept in a “cooling pond” inside one of the plants had been exposed and begun letting off potentially deadly gamma radiation. Then water levels inside the reactor cores began to fall. While estimates vary, several officials and industry experts said Sunday that the top four to nine feet of the nuclear fuel in the core and control rods appear to have been exposed to the air — a condition that that can quickly lead to melting, and ultimately to full meltdown.

www.nytimes.com...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   

yup and the other hard fact was, they said is was not dangerous to the public, it was small doses, yet we still have people getting sick from radiation and evacuations, and not to mention US Naval pieces moving due to radiation exposure. I would say that the radiation presently in the air around that nuclear site, is unhealthy and its safe to speculate something is wrong.......

I will agree thou all we can do is guess, due to the lack of information..

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

I posted a PDF from Greenpeace, dated 1999, that stated 450kg of MOX was headed to Fukushima. I imagine this was the fuel currently used in reactor number 3. However, I also discovered that the plant did not change over to the use of MOX until August of last year. I suppose it took some time to re-tool thing for the use of the new fuel. I don't know how much of the fuel is actually used, but it seems to me that there is at least 1/2 or more of MOX alone at the plant. With ten reactors total, it doesn't seem hard to believe that there is much more nuclear material at the site.

I just want to say on a personal level that this disaster has given me the same feeling that the Deepwater Horizon incident gave me; that sense of things being a whole lot more serious than we will ever be told. Of course some people don't be that DH disaster was that big of a deal.

archive.greenpeace.org...

Here is the PDF, it appear that this particular shipment was being divided between two facilities.

edit on 14-3-2011 by odd1out because: additional info

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   

i understood that once the rods start melting there is no such thing as containment anymore. Nothing can contain them.

the latest news is that the rods in all three reactors appear to be melting.

i understood this to be the worst case scenario.

the only positive left that i am aware of is that they were not in production. they had been shut down when earthquake happened. so damage wont be as bad as could have been. however, locally i would imagine damage will be very serious?

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   
If anyone doesn't know yet this is one of the most direct best english translated news sites I have heard yet keep an eye on this one the guy is translating live for I think 3 Japanese media sites and is getting live reports from a ton of people around the world...good stuff coming in here in terms of info!
YokosoNews

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnySeagull

i understood that once the rods start melting there is no such thing as containment anymore. Nothing can contain them.

the latest news is that the rods in all three reactors appear to be melting.

i understood this to be the worst case scenario.

the only positive left that i am aware of is that they were not in production. they had been shut down when earthquake happened. so damage wont be as bad as could have been. however, locally i would imagine damage will be very serious?

Deserves to be repeated....

www.chron.com...

Later, a top Japanese official said the fuel rods in all three of the most troubled nuclear reactors appeared to be melting.

Not sure about the source...but figured it was worth repeating and posting.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   

You and your friends should be fine where you are. Just listen to the authorities and stay calm.

TheRedneck

top topics

<< 67  68  69    71  72  73 >>

join