It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 696.htm
<< 693  694  695    697  698  699 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by makeitso
reply to post by AlaskanDad

According to Wikimapia

the common pool here
edit on 4/13/11 by makeitso because: (no reason given)

Thank you very much! :-)
The common pool building looks mostly intact on the outside let us hope all is well inside.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Great photo's. Looks like the cask is going to be filled with the rods lying around the site.

Also the batteries were spent after the diesel generators failed. Did they overcharge them causing the fire?

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   
I accessed the EPA testing data at Radnet (under "All Results" only for some reason) website, looking for new posts. This is a condensed and sorted version of what was posted today 4-13-11.

For brevity I removed the columns for less common isotopes with ND or blank results. The units are all in pCi/l and the samples were all "precipitation". Some of the levels for I-131 were alarming in some areas IMO.

I care a lot about what's happening to the Japanese people and the environment. I'm also trying to look out for my little grandkids here in TX. But seriously nobody wants to know what coming down the pike in these parts.

Maybe EPA sampling in TX has been voted down for lack of popular demand.

edit on 13-4-2011 by 1SawSomeThings because: add info

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   

where , I see a most destroyed pool ? with obvious rod structures dangling and what appear to be two poolium deposits hanging out the side of the building, not to ride ya , just curious...am I looking at the wrong picture

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Procharmo
Great photo's. Looks like the cask is going to be filled with the rods lying around the site.

Also the batteries were spent after the diesel generators failed. Did they overcharge them causing the fire?

once they put that water barrier up the concentrations of radioactivety in the water very near the battery storage case probably spiked pretty good and it may have caused the batteries to outgas, but more likely one or two of them is tired of getting the shake and bake constantly had an internal short

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Here's an interesting digitalglobe image (don't know if its been posted some way back) taken after the reactor 3 blast but before the reactor 4 blast.

Now look at reactor 4 TEPCO and the Jap Government said its damage was mostly from the reactor 3 blast - but it seems pretty intact to me!

DigitalGlobe March14 R3 Damage

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Silverlok

a)a temp reading on the core could be from the pool finding its way through the concrete and now starting to melt/ heat the core steel ( would would raise the ambient metal temperature which is where they take the temp readings ). which could be bad if poolium is boring into tank full of water

b)Or it could be that the recent shaker broke a remaining 'wet' store of fissionable material loos in such a way that it fell into the core water allowing the broken bits to start creating slow neutrons ...I'd vote for a) if I had to guess

?

Neither option is particularly reassuring. Do you have an option (C)? Maybe unicorns and faeries sprinkled some super-sparkly magical glitter that appears hot in thermal imaging but is really a radiation neutralizer? Yeah. I like (C). (B) not so much. (A) I like even less.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Silverlok

where , I see a most destroyed pool ? with obvious rod structures dangling and what appear to be two poolium deposits hanging out the side of the building, not to ride ya , just curious...am I looking at the wrong picture

Sorry from my quick peak at the aerial view from Wikimapia the structure seemed intact and not steaming,
Silverlok thanks for correcting things.

I'm here to learn and there is plenty here to learn from.

btw Silverlock was great reading. :-)

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Silverlok

try this on for size and see if it fits...
unit 4...
If they had pulled Fuel rod Assemblies out beforehand for maint like they said..they also had fresh rods ready to go back into reactor all sitting in the SFP.." basicly a double layer "rerack" that leaves maybe 6 meters of water over fuel in SFP...

they were planning on offloading some old fuel as well

earthquake hit...the plants took damage before the Tsunami hit..as reported by canadian worker video...

in effort to hide fact the they were majorly breaking rules by double stacking..the decide to start sticking some back in reactor...and maybe in a cask?

Tsunami hits...with fuel in motion on fuel handling machine...maybe one load already in reactor...
fuel Assemblies come loose from FHM falling somewhere below SFP but outside of reactor...

could that be cause of the explosion below?
would that explain why there is a truck parked in the fuel loading bay of #4 in photos?
would that explain why 2 bodies were found in 4 when everyone else ran?
would that explain why very early reports were of seawater being injected into reactor 4...because it did have a little fuel in it?

and why and the world do they expect me to believe that they can get water samples from 4 SFP but can't take a dang pic while they are doing it???

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by 1SawSomeThings
I accessed the EPA testing data at Radnet (under "All Results" only for some reason) website, looking for new posts. This is a condensed and sorted version of what was posted today 4-13-11.

For brevity I removed the columns for less common isotopes with ND or blank results. The units are all in pCi/l and the samples were all "precipitation". Some of the levels for I-131 were alarming in some areas IMO.

I care a lot about what's happening to the Japanese people and the environment. I'm also trying to look out for my little grandkids here in TX. But seriously nobody wants to know what coming down the pike in these parts.

Maybe EPA sampling in TX has been voted down for lack of popular demand.

edit on 13-4-2011 by 1SawSomeThings because: add info

It's interesting that Oak Ridge had cesium found when other TN locations did not. I'm betting it was there before the big earthquake in Japan ever hit. A 60-some-year-old nuclear plant with known safety issues pumping out weapons-grade uranium looks a little suspect.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by okiecowboy
reply to post by Silverlok

try this on for size and see if it fits...
unit 4...
If they had pulled Fuel rod Assemblies out beforehand for maint like they said..they also had fresh rods ready to go back into reactor all sitting in the SFP.." basicly a double layer "rerack" that leaves maybe 6 meters of water over fuel in SFP...

they were planning on offloading some old fuel as well

earthquake hit...the plants took damage before the Tsunami hit..as reported by canadian worker video...

in effort to hide fact the they were majorly breaking rules by double stacking..the decide to start sticking some back in reactor...and maybe in a cask?

Tsunami hits...with fuel in motion on fuel handling machine...maybe one load already in reactor...
fuel Assemblies come loose from FHM falling somewhere below SFP but outside of reactor...

could that be cause of the explosion below?
would that explain why there is a truck parked in the fuel loading bay of #4 in photos?
would that explain why 2 bodies were found in 4 when everyone else ran?
would that explain why very early reports were of seawater being injected into reactor 4...because it did have a little fuel in it?

and why and the world do they expect me to believe that they can get water samples from 4 SFP but can't take a dang pic while they are doing it???

Your hypothesis seems about as likely as any other. I hope one day we find out which one is right. .............

I was going to say the suspense is killing me, but that seems wildly inappropriate all things considered.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Another just now...very close to Fukushima 43 miles SW can't be good for those already dilapidated buildings,
15 quakes between 4.7 to 6.6 in the last 7 days. all pretty shallow too.

M 5.2, near the east coast of Honshu, Japan
36.834°N 140.391°E

Wednesday, April 13, 2011 22:35:53 UTC
Thursday, April 14, 2011 07:35:53 AM at epicenter

Depth: 25.60 km (15.91 mi)
newsblogged.com...

Des

edit on 03/28/2011 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

edit on 03/28/2011 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Aponi

It's interesting that Oak Ridge had cesium found when other TN locations did not. I'm betting it was there before the big earthquake in Japan ever hit. A 60-some-year-old nuclear plant with known safety issues pumping out weapons-grade uranium looks a little suspect.

I would agree with the fact that we would expect cesium 137 or other elements in the soil or groundwater around Oak Ridge, but since the samples are of "precipitation", do you think some Cs-137 is somehow still escaping from Oak Ridge to mix with atmospheric rainwater? Or does EPA maybe have a problem with collection procedures there?

I was more interested in views on I-131 spikes in places like Jacksonville, Kansas City, Salt Lake City, Nashville. These cities are far enough apart that the fallout could be considered North American continent by now.

I understand that I-131 has been downplayed due to the relatively short half-life. But if I-131 is around in any abundance, it is almost certain the Cs-137 and certain others will follow on dust, soot, and smog particles then eventually rainwater.
ETA: does anyone want their little kids playing in the rain with 200 pCi/l of I-131 for any amount of time?
edit on 13-4-2011 by 1SawSomeThings because: question,spelling

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   
More on R4...

Wednesday, April 13, 2011
#Fukushima I Nuke Plant: Reactor 4's Spent Fuel Pool Water Analysis

shows that the damage to the fuel rods in the Pool is only partial, if that, says TEPCO.

Asahi Shinbun (in Japanese; 12:58AM JST 4/14/2011) reports that TEPCO released the result of the test that it did on the water sample it had taken from the Spent Fuel Pool of the Reactor 4 on April 12. The result has not been posted on TEPCO's site, but from the Asahi article:

400 cc (0.4 liter) of water in the Pool was taken, using the concrete pump's boom, on April 12;

Iodine-131: 220 becquerels/cc

Cesium-134: 88 becquerels/cc

Cesium-137: 93 becquerels/cc

In normal operation of the reactor, these numbers would be less than 1 becquerel.

The numbers are low compared to the contaminated water in the turbine building in which these numbers are in several million becquerels, leading TEPCO to conclude that "part of the fuel rods may be damaged, but the majority of the rods in the Pool are intact."

Fuel rods were all under water (2 meters under water).

So is everything dandy at the Reactor 4?

Mainichi Shinbun (in Japanese; 10:23AM JST 4/13/2011) may be saying "Not so fast." Why? Because the temperature of the Pool is high, and the radiation level above the Pool is high.

The Spent Fuel Pool's temperature was found to be 90-degrees Celsius, higher than the temperature (84-degrees Celsius) when the hydrogen explosion happened on March 15. In addition, at 6 meters above the Pool, the radiation level was 84 milli-sievert/hr; during normal operation of the reactor, the radiation level there would be 0.0001 milli-sievert.

The Mainichi article says all TEPCO can do is to replenish the water in the Pool as it evaporates from the heat, until the water (coolant) circulation system is somehow restored to remove the heat.

And when will that be? According to TEPCO's president in the presser on April 13 that I watched, "all in good time" and he really doesn't know much of anything.
Sphere: Related Content

ex-skf.blogspot.com...

Des

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   
April 13, 2011

Fukushima Severity Level Raised to 7 - Gundersen Discusses Lack of US Radiation Monitoring Data
Nuclear Engineer, Arnie Gundersen, discusses why TEPCO's announcement of an increased accident severity level should not be a surprise. He also discusses similarities among the Chernobyl, Three Mile Island, and Fukushima nuclear accidents and how Governments are once again limiting public access to accurate radiation dose information. Lastly, Gundersen responds to the overwhelming number of email inquires regarding the Fukushima accident.

en.wikipedia.org...

Sorry if this is already posted.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   
R4...throwing a hissy fit...

Temperature Rise To Over 200% Normal Levels At Reactor 4 Fuels Fear Of Spent Fuel Rod Meltdown

The Intel Hub
By Alexander Higgins – Contributing Writer
April 13th, 2011

A temperature rise in Fukushima Japan Nuclear Reactor #4 to over 200% normal levels and the new discovery of elements produced only during nuclear fission in the fuel ponds fuel fears that the spent fuel rods may be melting down.

The Tokyo Electric Power Company, or TEPCO, says the water temperature in the spent fuel storage pool at the No. 4 reactor in the crippled Fukushima nuclear plant has risen to about 50 degrees Celsius, over 200% higher than normal levels.

TEPCO fears the spent fuel rods may be damaged. Tepco also said it has found elements in the nuclear 4 spent fuel storage pool that are only caused during nuclear fission. This provides evidence that there is a meltdown underway in the number 4 reactor.

As previously noted there is no containment in the #4 reactor and top officials have raised concerns that any radioactivity leaking from reactor #4 is being released directly into the environment.

theintelhub.com...

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aponi

Sometimes I'd like to chain them all together and march them into one of the reactor buildings. But in all fairness I have to ask myself if those are the people who deserve it. Do they make any real decisions? Or are they simply the yes-men and mouthpieces for the those who truly have power? Do they even know the truth? I guess I question whether they're only guilty of having a job and feeding their families or actually complacent in the lax safety issues, lies, and deceit we've witnessed. Without knowing, it doesn't seem quite fair to ask the scapegoat to fall on a sword. Now the actual higher-level executives, decision makers, and complacent politicians...for them I would personally learn blacksmithing to assist in creating the necessary supply of wakizashi to ensure their honorable demise.

One of those three was the president of TEPCO. You don't get much more high level than that in a company.
If you have that kind of status in a company which makes its profits from dangerous technology, you have a responsibility to understand that technology and use adequate safeguards. TEPCO have a long running history of years of unsafe measures, lies and cover-ups.

I had to google wakizashi. Yes, the Japanese perfected the art of making beautiful swords, and I don't wish any of them to be stained by human blood. (So I'd wash them fast afterwards.
)

No, what I'm thinking is there are hundreds of innocent people falling on TEPCO's swords at the moment, being pressured by the call of duty or the need for money into cleaning up the catastrophic mess made by a company who cares nothing about human life. Suicide, to my mind, is a wasted death. Far better to devote your life to a useful purpose than throw it away. These TEPCO officials carry a huge responsibility for what happened, and suicide would be a cheap escape from this responsibility. But they should be sharing the risks of the men whose lives they are demanding by working on site cleaning up. They can hardly say their brains and expertise are needed as they've proved they have neither. So they should at least be out there using their hands.

It could be there are people in this world so powerful they have forced TEPCO's hand and made them place unsafe reactors in unsafe locations and not only ignore safety precautions from then on, but even stuff at least one outdated reactor with unsafe MOX fuel. I've read claims that "The Americans" are responsible and have forced this situation onto the Japanese, but I'm sceptical. On the other hand, it could be there are many greedy, callous and foolhardy companies just like TEPCO, who have merely been luckier in covering their malfeasance and getting away with it.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 07:55 PM
link   
In politics, this would be called opposition research...

TEPCO Employee Searches for Criticism of Company via the Web

Seems the Tokyo Electric Power Environmental Engineering Company is a subsidiary of TEPCO and is responsible for offshore seawater sampling according to a TEPCO press release.

With the recent plan implemented to dump 10,000 tons of radioactive water in to the ocean there could be further environmental damage which could very well lead to an increase in the number of groups criticizing TEPCO.

Countries such as South Korea have recently expressed concern about the radioactive water dumping as well.

The most interesting thing is criticism of TEPCO by the Japanese Media has been almost non-existent outside of independent reporters due to the cozy relationship TEPCO and the Japanese media have.

And TEPCO acted like they just forgot to inform their neighbors about dumping contaminated water beforehand. Ya right. They were playing a game of PR spin the bottle and watching the odds.

"So sorry." *bow*

Source

How's that job at corporate headquarters far from the Fukushima plant treating you Mr. Worker? How about spending your time plugging some leaks in the reactor instead of researching your opposition to nuclear contamination of "our" ocean.

This search was done one day after TEPCO announced this...

April 4, 2011, 7:43 a.m. EDT Tepco to release radioactive water into ocean

Yes...they are watching.

Note to TEPCO: compensate the employees taking the real risks and the evacuees whose lives and livelihoods you have ruined. Help evacuate the people of Japan. Get out of the nuclear business.The party is over. The lights are on and we are watching too, your opposition. .

edit on 13-4-2011 by DancedWithWolves because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aquarius1
April 13, 2011

Fukushima Severity Level Raised to 7 - Gundersen Discusses Lack of US Radiation Monitoring Data
Nuclear Engineer, Arnie Gundersen, discusses why TEPCO's announcement of an increased accident severity level should not be a surprise......

Good ol' Arnie - where would we be without his honest, no BS, assessment of the situation

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Sorry if this is a dumb question, im just catching up after work. Concerning reactor 4, is there fuel inside it? I was under the impression it was empty for maintenance, but they keep talking about a radiation release from inside the pressure vessel.

new topics

top topics

<< 693  694  695    697  698  699 >>

join