It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 695.htm
<< 692  693  694    696  697  698 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   
another very close to last one of 6.1 both very shallow about 10 miles apart

M 5.7, off the east coast of Honshu, Japan
39.668°N 143.199°E

Wednesday, April 13, 2011 20:32:22 UTC
Thursday, April 14, 2011 06:32:22 AM at epicenter

Depth: 20.90 km (12.99 mi)

Previous quake:

M 6.1, off the east coast of Honshu, Japan
39.587°N 143.357°E

Wednesday, April 13, 2011 19:57:23 UTC
Thursday, April 14, 2011 05:57:23 AM at epicenter

Depth: 11.20 km (6.96 mi)

Posted on 13 April 2011 | 7:57 pm
newsblogged.com...

Des

edit on 03/28/2011 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Aponi

37C is not that hot(one could still pick it up by hand , or with gloves) well below the water temp one would expect high radiation numbers to be coming from "all of a sudden", and the position and distribution of the material in that photo is not right...

right undies on the outside ....I'm firing up the Bat-signal

..on a hunch I think Tepco DOES NOT LIKE THE IDEA FLOATING AROUND public attention ABOUT HOW MUCH POLLUTION THOSE RODS PUT OUT as their experts 'Areva' put in that assessment...

ha..

just read THIS, and it is quite possibly the most misleading statement they have put out yet, but to their credit clearly they have someone more intelligent wording things now , I can't say I like the way they do things but this was a pretty slick eel.....

edit on 13-4-2011 by Silverlok because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Those stinkin' barges...

Yep, we're not getting a lot of info about them.

All I can offer to this discussion are some barge images from TEPCO's webcam shots. Well, the links to them, anyway. I wrote up most of the following post on Monday (but didn't post it), and then revised it today to include the latest images. As we're not getting much new from TEPCO on anything right now I figured it might be a good time to post this:

Probable arrival of a Barge in 9 a.m. image on April 2nd
I recall TEPCO stating a barge docked at about 9.10 am on this date. In fact I think someone posted the precise TEPCO statement (to that effect) in the thread. This image shows what appears to be a barge in the extreme right of the frame (mid foreground) entering through the breakwater. The object is not in either the preceding or following images on that day, which would tend to suggest that it was probably on its way in to dock as TEPCO announced.

Barge with crane in 9 a.m. image on April 11th
Hard to discern the barge at first glance in the above image, but after seeing the next one then re-checking this one, you will be able to identify it okay.

Barge with crane in 10 a.m. image on April 11th
Much clearer here. Makes you wonder what they're up to, doesn't it?

New ones from today (April 13th):

Barge with crane in 9 a.m. image on April 13th
Quite visible this time. Repairing something? Moving something?

Barge with crane in 10 a.m. image on April 13th
Still there...

Barge with crane in 11 a.m. image on April 13th
Yep. Still there. Hmmm...

I have no idea what this barge with the crane is doing. Certainly in the latter ones (today), it doesn't seem likely it was sailing off anywhere, unless they needed some hours to prepare it for sea. I'm not even sure it would be very navigable with that crane boom sticking up like that. (Yes I suppose they could lower it.) But whatever... I'll leave that to the experts on matters maritime.

If anyone has the time and wouldn't mind uploading all these images for our members' and many lurkers' viewing pleasure then I'd appreciate it. I'd normally do it myself but I'm not feeling too good tonight and need some shut-eye.

Best regards,

Mike

edit on 13/4/11 by JustMike because: clarification.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheRemedial
Another point I would just like to add to this thread. It makes me wonder if any opportunistic corporations or governments are going to use this disaster as a silent way of dumping some of their wastes into the oceans.
Food for thought at least...It probably wouldn't surprise me.
-Regards

Where does New York City dump all it's garbage?

Oh wait... they banned that didn't they?

Ocean Dumping Ban Act (1988)
www.bookrags.com...

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   
speaking of barges...I still wanna know what this white stuff they are washing off under these pipes is?
anyone have a guess?

edit on 13/4/11 by masqua because: Fixed image for scrolling

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Interesting interview with Arnie Gundersen today regarding situation at Fukushima.

Source: RT / YouTube:

www.youtube.com...=80

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Been a few entries of late, questioning the relationship between shallow earthquakes and volcanic eruptions. The volcanologist will tell you there is just no way to connect the two.

The key would be to keep an eye on shallow earthquakes, large earthquakes (7.0 would qualify), fissures of steam along mountain tops, and mountain tops with known fissures that develop smaller ones or they expand into larger fissures.

From where I lived in San Antonio, Zambales province, Philippines, across the rice fields, about 20 miles away, I could monitor Mt Pinatubo daily. When a volcano blows, what happens? Do you loose all communications? No, microwave relay stations and commercial inter-switching trunks performed flawlessly. Power, Yes, transformers, Yes, substations, Yes, water, Yes, air conditioning, Yes, heat, and Yes.

Communications facilities have backup generators. When the volcano blows vertical, the debris falls back to earth in the form of fine magma particles and sand. Mt Pinatubo provided SO2 sand almost a foot thick. (This sand will get into vehicles with front wheel drive and destroy the bearings) A blackout occurred 600 mile radius out to sea. There is 0, zero, nada, zilch, not even the back of your hand visibility. Drainage ditches fill to capacity. Flooding ensues. My on base housing developed six inches of water, maggots took over the freezer and refrigerator, furniture was water logged, mold destroyed carpets, grew up the walls and into the ceiling in tropical climates. (Without power in an enclosed home that is not ventilated, direct sunlight through windows, same effect.) Vegetation is completely destroyed.

The weight of the sand falling from the sky caused 120 warehouses to be lost at NAVSTA Subic Bay, NAS Cubi Pt, and NCS San Miguel due to the weight on the roof structure. Seabees were called in to grade the roads clear of sand, haul sand away, reinstall power transformers on poles, install emergency generators at key locations, etc.. SO2 sand will harden like concrete when wet, expect to go nowhere without a 4 wheel drive vehicle.

This doesn’t even address the lahar issue to follow in surrounding streams. Japan has their hands full, but in case they're listening.... Expect the best, plan for the worst.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tworide

Originally posted by TheRemedial
Another point I would just like to add to this thread. It makes me wonder if any opportunistic corporations or governments are going to use this disaster as a silent way of dumping some of their wastes into the oceans.

Food for thought at least...It probably wouldn't surprise me.

-Regards

Can we say N. Korea?!

I wouldn't expect they would take that opportunity.

However, they might assess the point at which a couple of the third and second world nations start noticing effects, and their citizens are or believe they are being impacted by the pollution from Japan.

Then, N. Korea could make some friends by....dropping a nuke on Northern Japan to stop the continuing uncontrolled chain reaction.

Then they'd be heros to a segment of nations they might want to make friends with.

I also wouldn't want to piss off China, India or Pakistan too much with poisoning their populace. India might take it well. Pakistan with the wrong leaders might take it as an affront and a religious leader might look to make a name for themselves, and well China. China is China, and China is for the Chinese. They might kill off their own populace, but I bet they won't take kindly to Japan killing them off or adding to their medical costs for their elder bulging populace.

Uncontrolled unstopped years and years of 4 reactors melting down isn't likely to be well accepted. Right now everyone is in Shock and Awe mode. I wouldn't suggest that Japan or this industry count on people STAYING in that state.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by JustMike
reply to post by zorgon

Those stinkin' barges...

Yep, we're not getting a lot of info about them.

All I can offer to this discussion are some barge images from TEPCO's webcam shots. Well, the links to them, anyway. I wrote up most of the following post on Monday (but didn't post it), and then revised it today to include the latest images. As we're not getting much new from TEPCO on anything right now I figured it might be a good time to post this:

Probable arrival of a Barge in 9 a.m. image on April 2nd
I recall TEPCO stating a barge docked at about 9.10 am on this date. In fact I think someone posted the precise TEPCO statement (to that effect) in the thread. This image shows what appears to be a barge in the extreme right of the frame (mid foreground) entering through the breakwater. The object is not in either the preceding or following images on that day, which would tend to suggest that it was probably on its way in to dock as TEPCO announced.

Barge with crane in 9 a.m. image on April 11th
Hard to discern the barge at first glance in the above image, but after seeing the next one then re-checking this one, you will be able to identify it okay.

Barge with crane in 10 a.m. image on April 11th
Much clearer here. Makes you wonder what they're up to, doesn't it?

New ones from today (April 13th):

Barge with crane in 9 a.m. image on April 13th
Quite visible this time. Repairing something? Moving something?

Barge with crane in 10 a.m. image on April 13th
Still there...

Barge with crane in 11 a.m. image on April 13th
Yep. Still there. Hmmm...

I have no idea what this barge with the crane is doing. Certainly in the latter ones (today), it doesn't seem likely it was sailing off anywhere, unless they needed some hours to prepare it for sea. I'm not even sure it would be very navigable with that crane boom sticking up like that. (Yes I suppose they could lower it.) But whatever... I'll leave that to the experts on matters maritime.

If anyone has the time and wouldn't mind uploading all these images for our members' and many lurkers' viewing pleasure then I'd appreciate it. I'd normally do it myself but I'm not feeling too good tonight and need some shut-eye.

Best regards,

Mike

edit on 13/4/11 by JustMike because: clarification.

This particular barge and crane looks like the typical equipment that's used for harbor repair, like breakwaters and such. They may have used it to install the water barriers at the cooling water intakes.

The barge of interest was the one tied up at the dock loaded with equipment hidden from sight by white sheeting material.
That's the one that was accompanied by a JSDF destroyer....

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Another in same area...still shallow only miles from previous 2.

USGS M 2.5+ Earthquakes

Real-time, worldwide earthquake list for the past day
M 4.9, off the east coast of Honshu, Japan
39.530°N 143.211°E

Wednesday, April 13, 2011 21:36:56 UTC
Thursday, April 14, 2011 07:36:56 AM at epicenter

Depth: 23.20 km (14.42 mi)
newsblogged.com...

Des

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Photo of machine to be used to move spent fuel rods....looks like a huge pasta maker to me...

n this undated photo released Wednesday, April 13, 2011 by Tokyo Electric Power Co., a standing man is partially seen above an example of the truck used to move spent fuel rods in the pools. Nothing is decided yet but TEPCO told the press at its Tokyo headquarters Wednesday morning that this is one option TEPCO officials are considering to use at the tsunami-stricken Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear power plant in Okuma town in Fukushima Prefecture, northeastern Japan.

www.npr.org...

Des

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by okiecowboy

My guess, dried salt residue from all that salt water dumped and sprayed everywhere....

Des

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Aponi

The thermal images are from Japan's Ministry of Defense.

The image posted is the last image from todays thermals.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Surprise...surprise... Radiation levels in seawater off coast of Fukushima highest.yet.

Radiation levels in seawater off coast of Fukushima highest
Radiation levels in seawater off coast of Fukushima highest
April 13, 2011 - 13:57 AMT 08:57 GMT

PanARMENIAN.Net - Japan’s science ministry says radiation levels in seawater off the coast of Fukushima Prefecture are the highest since it began monitoring them about 3 weeks ago.

The ministry says the level of iodine-131 was 88.5 becquerels per liter in a sample taken on Monday in the sea about 30 kilometers east of the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant. The figure is 2.2 times the government's upper limit for wastewater from nuclear facilities.

The level of cesium-137 was also the highest observed so far, but was below the limit.

Tokyo Electric Power Company says the iodine-131 level was 23 times the upper limit in a sample taken 15 kilometers from the plant. This was the highest figure since TEPCO began taking samples 15 kilometers offshore on April 2. Radiation levels are higher in the sea to the north of the crippled plant.

The government's Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency says radioactive substances seem to be flowing and diffusing northward.

The agency says predicting the course of the flow is difficult and it will step up monitoring in locations where high radiation levels have been detected, NHK reported.

www.panarmenian.net...

The ministry conducted a computer-simulated prediction of movements of such substances, based on a seawater survey as well as data on currents in nearby waters.

On April 2nd, levels of radioactive iodine-131 near the water intake of the plant’s No. 2 reactor were found to be 7.5 million times higher than the legal limit.

The ministry says the radiation levels are on the decline, but remain high.

The ministry’s short-term prediction says the substances will spread from the coast to the northeast, maintaining their levels for several days.

The ministry’s long-term prediction says the substances will be carried south by a current 100 kilometers offshore in lowered concentrations, then move east with a rapidly-moving current off Ibaraki Prefecture in about a month.

The ministry said the concentration of radioactive substances in the sea is likely to decrease gradually.

The ministry plans to step up monitoring of the movement of radioactive substances in waters around the plant and release another prediction.

Wednesday, April 13, 2011 19:44 +0900 (JST)

Source: NHK

www3.nhk.or.jp...

Des

edit on 03/28/2011 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by JustMike

I wonder if they might not be fish'n with the barge and crane, as in trying to hook and bring up something HOT that was thrown into the bay during one of the many hydrogen explosions?

Side Note: has anyone read anything about the common pool or seventh pool that contained over 6,000 spent fuel rods? I'm wondering where exactly it is / or was the common pool and what is its current situation. I had thought earlier it was part of the #4 reactor complex, but I keep finding references to it being in a separate building.
Link PDF has some interesting detail on spent fuel stored at FU daiichi

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by AlaskanDad

According to Wikimapia

the common pool here
edit on 4/13/11 by makeitso because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   
new photos released of the battery building that was on fire
and several other new photos
source

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Silverlok

PS Still waiting for our royalty check
Maybe we can get TEPCO to compensate our time correcting them

edit on 13-4-2011 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

haahahahah, better watch out Zorgon Tepco may want to hire you as a SUBCONTRACTOR, and I am pretty sure the job comes with a red shirt, and some duct tape

I bet they would even be willing to throw in a lifetime supply of sake.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Found an informative site, interesting photos, plus part of a report on the assessment of damage to Fukushima I and II.

Martyn Williams

Multimedia editor and Tokyo bureau chief at IDG News Service. I cover Japan for IDG publications including PC World, Macworld, Computerworld, CIO and other IT-focused media. I'm also producer of Akibatteru, a monthly TV show on Japanese pop culture. I am a former president of the Foreign Correspondents' Club of Japan, an avid North Korean IT watcher, and correspondent for Voice of America
martynwilliams.posterous.com...

Tsunami damage at Fukushima Daiichi

Tokyo Electric Power has published some amazing images showing the destruction caused by the tsunami at Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant.

An accompanying explainer from TEPCO details the tsunami inundation and indicates where the four pictures were taken. The plant is protected by a seawall, and sits 10 meters above sea level.

Based on high-water marks on the side of buildings, the tsunami waves reached a height of 14- to 15 meters above sea level, thus inundating the area around reactors 1 through 4 with about 4- to 5 meters of water.

Reactors 5 and 6 sit in a different part of the plant and are built 13 meters above sea level. TEPCO estimates the water only reached a maximum of 1 meter around those buildings.

Update: I've added a short video showing one of the tsunami waves hitting Fukushima Daiichi. It's only a few seconds long, but you can clearly see water being smashed upwards several tens of meters as it hits the power station.

1 of 6
Filed under // Fukushima Daiichi TEPCO 福島第一
Posted April 13, 2011
Tuesday morning fire at Fukushima Daiichi

Tokyo Electric Power has released photos of a fire that occured Tuesday morning at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant. The fire was in a battery storage area and started after a strong aftershock rocked the area. There's a second shot showing the same area after the fire was extinguished.

1 of 2
Filed under // Fukushima Daiichi TEPCO 福島第一
Posted April 13, 2011
Fukushima Daini tsunami images

Tokyo Electric Power has published images showing Fukushima Daini nuclear power plant before and after the tsunami. They were taken from from the car park near the center of this image looking east.
1 of 2
Filed under // Fukushima Daini TEPCO 福島第二
Posted April 12, 2011
Video: Remote-controlled helicopters, vehicles helping at Fukushima Daiichi

Here's a look at some of the robotic, remote-controlled gear being employed at Fukushima Daiichi

Filed under // Fukushima Daiichi IDG TEPCO 福島第一
Posted April 11, 2011

Tokyo demonstration against Hamaoka nuclear power station.

Hamaoka nuclear power station sits on the coast in Shizuoka prefecture, about 200 kilometers south west of Tokyo. The demonstrators, of which there were between 3,000 and 4,000 by my estimate, were demanding the power station be closed. The Shizuoka region has been rocked by large earthquakes (magnitude 8+) every 100-150 years and seismologists consider a major quake overdue in this area. The demonstrators want the power plant closed down because they fear the impact of such a quake on the facility.

Update:Here's my radio report (click on the MP3 button). "Thousands Protest Nuclear Power in Japan" - VOA News

1 of 7
Filed under // Demo Japan Nuclear TEPCO Tokyo デモ 日本 東京

Des

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by makeitso
reply to post by Aponi

The thermal images are from Japan's Ministry of Defense.

The image posted is the last image from todays thermals.

.. thanks very interesting ...
I have made a couple of quick seat of the pants orthorectifications and can't see any evidence supporting core activity from these photos (heat spots do not line up with the core hole). there does seem to be part of a pocket of material left in an oddish area I would not think to be a pool (perhaps a lower chamber that is holding water ..? ), but certainly the stuff seemed more prevalent in earlier photos, if those pools have some kind of separating chambers (like the different bulkheads on a ship) I'd say that's what it appear to be: a straggler.

One thing that does pop out is that we seem to have another poolium falls naming contest as it looks as if our fubarium falls between (on the north side between 3 and 4 ) has a friend on the west face near heavily damaged corner of the #4 reactor .

we May have a pocket of rods (near the core opening)that made it this far because it was melt crusted over and either trapped water or couldn't maintain criticality , and either water was added to it ( because it was know to be aerosoling ) or it cracked and water got in ( has it rained in Fukushima in the last couple of days ?) and re-started some internal fisioning .

a)a temp reading on the core could be from the pool finding its way through the concrete and now starting to melt/ heat the core steel ( would would raise the ambient metal temperature which is where they take the temp readings ). which could be bad if poolium is boring into tank full of water

b)Or it could be that the recent shaker broke a remaining 'wet' store of fissionable material loos in such a way that it fell into the core water allowing the broken bits to start creating slow neutrons ...I'd vote for a) if I had to guess

?

top topics

<< 692  693  694    696  697  698 >>

join