It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 678.htm
<< 675  676  677    679  680  681 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Edano proves by eating in public that the food on the markets are safe:

Kyodo news

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by MedievalGhost

Originally posted by windwaker
reply to post by MedievalGhost

.14 is still not the high at all. Ironically I bet you it's much higher here in the US.

If you go to Weather Online website and check the Cesium-137 cloud forecast, you will see that incredibly large amounts of Cesium-137 are reaching the west coast of the US.

Weather Online - Cesium-137 Dispersion Forecast
edit on 12-4-2011 by windwaker because: Grammar

Yes, I know .14 or .15 is not that high, but just reporting that it did increase today above usual. And I am seriously doubting some of these websites posting maps of daily Japan geiger counter readings. Those readings are much lower than some of the readings I have seen taken in Tokyo area recently, not to mention my own recent readings.
edit on 12-4-2011 by MedievalGhost because: (no reason given)

Ghost, I just wanted to let you know, how much I appreciate, as I'm sure many others do as well, your very valuable contributions to ATS. I'm honored to be a fellow traveler in this unknown journey with you. Getting your reports, keeps me grounded in the reality that this is real . A first hand voice of balance, helps me in ways you'll never know. Please, take care to keep yourself safe. I hope you are getting, if not already have, Plan B in place. I know that sometimes, just because you are a member of ATS in Japan, some dim-witted people challenge you to go beyond what would be safe for you. Like going to the X zone to take readings, and such nonsense. I know you are too smart to take that idiotic bait.

Stay safe Friend. If ever you need to include the southern states of the U.S. as part of your Plan B...count my support as an option for you.

Des

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 08:15 AM
link   
A few pages ago someone asked about a fire today 12/04/11.

www.tepco.co.jp...

Press Release (Apr 12,2011)

Fire at the sampling equipment at the water discharge channel, Units 1-4, Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station (2nd release)

At approximately 6:38 AM, April 12th, fire has been found at the distribution switchboard containing batteries located in the sampling equipment switchbox situated close to the south water discharge channel for Units 1-4. The self defense fire fighting team conducted the fire fighting at an early stage. At the same time, at approximately 6:45 AM, we reported to the Futaba fire authorities.

As a result of the fire fighting, it is confirmed that the fire has been under control without fire or smoke. There is no impact on the external release of radioactive substances or on the cooling capability of the reactor from this incident. There has been no change on the monitoring figures of the surrounding environment.

We will continue monitoring the status of the plant and the surrounding environment around the Power Station. We will investigate the cause in detail.

(Previously announced) The Futaba fire authorities confirmed fire extinguishment on site survey at 9:12 AM, April 12th. We will investigate the cause in detail.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 08:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Procharmo

I really don't mean to laugh, but that one line made me roll my eyes. The fire is under control with no fire or smoke.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 08:41 AM
link   
April 11, 2011 11:03

Radiation level normal in Primorye - Emergency Situations Ministry

www.interfax.com/newsinf.asp?pg=9&id=235343

VLADIVOSTOK. April 11 (Interfax) - The radiation level is normal, 14 micro-Roentgen per hour, in the Russian Primorye territory, a representative of the territorial emergency situations department told Interfax on Monday.

(...)

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by JustMike

Extract from material originally posted by zorgon
Radiation levels in parts of Fukushima over limit

The Japanese government says the radiation accumulated over a 25-day period at some locations in Fukushima Prefecture has exceeded the permissible level set for a full year.

The government announced the findings on Monday. The calculation is based on data collected from 53 locations, up to 60 kilometers from the Fukushima Daiichi power plant, from the day following the March 11th disasters through April 5th.

34 millisieverts of radiation had accumulated over that period at one location in Namie Town, about 24 kilometers northwest of the plant. This equates to about 314 millisieverts per year, more than 3 times the permissible level of 100 millisieverts.

Tuesday, April 12, 2011 08:52 +0900 (JST)

www3.nhk.or.jp...

Here's what I mean:
As "the day following the March 11th disasters" is March 12, then from that date to April 5th (both dates inclusive) is 25 days. Anyone who wishes can confirm this here. (Or look at a calendar on your fridge or whatever.)

Clearly, as every month has more than 25 days, then the annual figure has to be more than twelve times 34, and 314 is not even ten times 34. So there was obviously either some shenanigans going on -- or whoever did the calculations hasn't a clue how to do simple arithmetic.

I suspect the former...

So okay, here's my numbers. If someone can check them then that would be good. After all, I might have missed something.

If we take the year as having 365 days and divide it by 25, we get the number of 25-day periods in the year:
365/25 = 14.6

Using a simple, equal-rate formula (as they only say "equates to"), then if there was 34 millisieverts of accumulation in 25 days, then the yearly accumulation is calculated from:
14.6 x 34 = 496.4

That is, just under 500 millisieverts in one year, not the 314 figure that they give!

Almost five times times the "permissible level" of 100 millisieverts.

Good catch.

I noticed the article itself mentions a 25 day period, and wondered about the fictional >250 day year their phony figures refer to.

It's a good example of how we must expect those benefiting from the nuclear industry, and this includes the "regulators", to lie, lie, and keep lying.

To work it out a different way,
34mS over 25 days = 1.36mS per day.
365 x 1.36mS = 496.4mS per year.

The Japanese government's figure of 314 millisieverts per year only works if their year has 231 days in it.

Come to think of it, that will probably be the next measurement change to be made to prove radiation is safe, or at least within legal limits.

Yes, people are only getting the allowable dose per year, and they are living just as many years as before, but our years have gone metric.
. . . Ten months per year, ten days per month, ten hours per day . . .

Isn't it nice that the nice government is making things simple for the people they so deeply care about?

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Kailassa

Thanks for confirming those figures.
I was beginning to wonder if I'd forgotten the arithemetic I learned in primary school all those years ago, back in the days before we had electronic calculators.
Oh, I meant to mention that in my post, I only showed the 25-day calculations to confirm that at least they had that figure right.

That story with the wrong figures is still on the NHK website:

Source: NHK World

Note the time of the update... 13:46 UTC April 12...

Ummm... NHK people... Correct the figures, would you? The ones you have are so wrong it's embarrassing...

Mike
edit on 12/4/11 by JustMike because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Procharmo
The blame game!

Ok so whose fault is it? Japan, America or France, TEPCO (Toshiba/Hitachi), GE or AREVA.

Source

When the Fukushima No. 1 plant was being built, Japan was importing technology from the United States and learning from a more advanced nuclear power nation. The No. 1 plant was considered a "learning experience." A former TEPCO executive said, "The Fukushima No. 1 plant was a practice course for Toshiba and Hitachi Ltd. to learn about GE's design on a trial-and-error basis."

With the exception of the No. 6 reactor, the other five reactors at the Fukushima No. 1 plant are Mark I boiling-water reactors developed by GE. According to sources, the locations of emergency generators and the seawater pump structure were also based on a GE design.

In contrast, the No. 6 reactor is a Mark II reactor. Moreover, the Fukushima No. 2 plant and Kashiwazaki-Kariwa plant, which were constructed from the mid-1970s to the 1990s, used an improved and safer version of the Mark II reactor.

After Toshiba and Hitachi gained experience in constructing nuclear plants, they located emergency generators and seawater pumps within buildings.

Yet those safety improvements were never reflected in changes at the Fukushima No. 1 plant.

I'm sorry guys but it looks like Japanese engineering is superior and the American GE MkI and ground level generators are the main culprits.
From my own personal view the addition French MOX just made something bad really bad.......

Talk about playing the blame game ...

"The No. 1 plant was considered a "learning experience." " WHAT?
People worried about nuclear power were being ridiculed then, just as they are now, and told they could trust those in charge to keep them safe.
- And now we're being told this effort to make money by harnessing nuclear energy was seen as a learning experience?

"After Toshiba and Hitachi gained experience in constructing nuclear plants, they located emergency generators and seawater pumps within buildings."
Great, so what happens when a leak is sprung suddenly in a reactor and the reactor building becomes too hot to access?

"French MOX just made something bad really bad.."
- Which Americans tested, and found was unsafe because the rods tended to deform, making shut-down difficult or impossible.
These tests were open knowledge, but pure, uncaring greed drove TEPCO and others to use this fools' fuel anyway, over-riding the protests of better informed residents.
- Residents who are residents no more, robbed of their land, their homes, by greedy bastards.

And these criminals, now guilty of mass murder, have the cheek to shed crocodile tears on television in a cowardly attempt to gain sympathy through this ritualised replacement for seppuku.

Check the pictures, not a single trace of moisture on the faces of any of them.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Procharmo

TRhanks for the info and the image.

A fire in the sampling equipment switchboard. Hmmm...

How very, very darned (in)convenient. Now if there are problems with getting sampling readings, they can say "Oh, so sorry! It was the fire that damaged the sampling switchboard equipment, so no accurate readings can be given for now..."

Yeah, right...

Mike

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Regarding the release of radiative material allegedly being only 10% as much as Chernobyl, this update from the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) adds an interesting clarification..

Source: IAEA Fukushima Nuclear Accident Update Log

The re-evaluation of the Fukushima Daiichi provisional INES rating resulted from an estimate of the total amount of radioactivity released to the environment from the nuclear plant. NISA estimates that the amount of radioactive material released to the atmosphere is approximately 10% of the 1986 Chernobyl accident, which is the only other nuclear accident to have been rated a Level 7 event.

When you compare the wording of the first sentence and second sentence they are pretty carefully worded. The first sentence talks about "total amount of radioactivity released to the environment" but the second sentence indicates that the 10% figure is based only on "the amount of radioactive material released to the atmosphere."

They seem to be carefully excluding soil contamination and sea water contamination when calculating the release as 10% of Chernobyl.

In other words, they are purposely comparing apples to oranges.

Soil contamination in the area around Fukushima Daiichi was previously reported in this thread as already being up to 4 times the level of contamination around Chernobyl. And of course we also know that large amounts of radioactive material have been leaked and dumped into the sea.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Siemens says received €1.62bn for Areva NP stake - Monday, 11 April 2011 01:45

www.thepeninsulaqatar.com/business-news/148480-siemens-says-received-162bn-for-areva-np-stake.html

BERLIN: Siemens has received ¤1.62bn ($2.35bn) for the sale of its 34-percent stake in its joint venture with French group Areva, a spokesman for the German industrial giant said yesterday.

“Areva has paid out the 1.62 billion, that’s correct,” Alexander Becker said, confirming an earlier report set to appear in the Die Welt daily yesterday.

(...)

The German group is exercising a put option on its holding after the French government, which is the majority shareholder, rebuffed an attempt to take a direct stake in Areva.

Siemens has since turned towards Russia, and is in talks on the creation of a joint venture with Rosatom, the state-owned nuclear energy agency. However, after the nuclear crisis in Japan, Siemens is thought to be reconsidering its nuclear strategy.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Now that they finally admit to the situation being a seven , isn't it about time the Japanese government and Tepco release that U.S. drone footage , and oh yeah now that this is a WORLD WIDE problem how about we starting getting those MAGMA thermal cameras online and updated plant footage everyday(since we know the #3 reactor has them) ...OR IS THIS MOST EPIC FAIL IN THE HISTORY OF HUMAN TECHNOLOGY just keep blindly stumbling along .

I would think since NHK is saying Tepco is now claiming that the most radiation was released on the 15th and 16th ( perhaps they mean into the air as I am not sure how you top 7.5 million times the legal limit in water , but give Tepco a chance they might yet (and perhaps already have) find a way ) then they should at least release the footage of #4 popping it's walls off
edit on 12-4-2011 by Silverlok because: it's called t and it's there for a reason

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Silverlok

A star on your last post.

It is way past time. Freakinn' greedy snakes, all the people being affected by the radiation and they are still as tight-lipped as ever.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by ikonoklast

Yes, carefully worded. But pull apart what they are really saying

provisional INES rating resulted from an estimate

I am also thinking the webcam shots are older file photos.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone

Originally posted by MedievalGhost

Originally posted by windwaker
reply to post by MedievalGhost

.14 is still not the high at all. Ironically I bet you it's much higher here in the US.

If you go to Weather Online website and check the Cesium-137 cloud forecast, you will see that incredibly large amounts of Cesium-137 are reaching the west coast of the US.

Weather Online - Cesium-137 Dispersion Forecast
edit on 12-4-2011 by windwaker because: Grammar

Yes, I know .14 or .15 is not that high, but just reporting that it did increase today above usual. And I am seriously doubting some of these websites posting maps of daily Japan geiger counter readings. Those readings are much lower than some of the readings I have seen taken in Tokyo area recently, not to mention my own recent readings.
edit on 12-4-2011 by MedievalGhost because: (no reason given)

Ghost, I just wanted to let you know, how much I appreciate, as I'm sure many others do as well, your very valuable contributions to ATS. I'm honored to be a fellow traveler in this unknown journey with you. Getting your reports, keeps me grounded in the reality that this is real . A first hand voice of balance, helps me in ways you'll never know. Please, take care to keep yourself safe. I hope you are getting, if not already have, Plan B in place. I know that sometimes, just because you are a member of ATS in Japan, some dim-witted people challenge you to go beyond what would be safe for you. Like going to the X zone to take readings, and such nonsense. I know you are too smart to take that idiotic bait.

Stay safe Friend. If ever you need to include the southern states of the U.S. as part of your Plan B...count my support as an option for you.

Des

Wow. Thank you for your very kind post.
I hope me posting my personal observations here is helpful to some.

Yes, actually I do have a plan B. If things get really bad where I am at, I will get out. But for now, I stay. My plan B actually includes the southern part of the US, where I have a place to go.

Just to update you and everyone else here, today my highest reading was .18 microsieverts per hour. My daily average since I got my geiger has always been within normal background levels of around .09 to .10, so this is about double my usual readings. Not deadly levels, but a notable increase.

I haven't had any abnormally high geiger readings for a week until today (been doing outside readings several times a day). My guess is the wind must be blowing some radiation up here today.

I will continue to report above normal readings. And thanks Destinyone and everyone else for the support. This is a stressful time for us all.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by jadedANDcynical
Been trying to catch up as quickly as I can (am currently on 662), I read the last page when I started (which was 667) and went back to where I left off.

Man oh man, is the pot really starting to boil now. Speaking of boiling, I think I found the reactor's torus:

I couldn't get the ellipse to rotate in order to run it perfectly parallel to the line I'm trying to indicate as the top of the torus, but I think it's apparent if you look inside the circled area. If you look almost dead center 6 o'clock just a bit above the line of the area I've circled, you will see what I think is the top of the torus.It continues on around to just shy of 9 o'clock inside the circled area.

Maybe it is, maybe it ain't but I thought I'd point it out for everyone to puzzle over until I get caught up.

I don't know if that's the torus, (good pic of the real thing here:) but it's clearly part of something large, metal and cylindrical. You can see a reinforcement strip encircling the cylinder.

To see what's what, one needs to get an idea of the scale of the reactors and buildings. These things are huge, many times larger than they look in pictures. So it's possible this is the torus we're looking at, but still guesswork unless we have someone here who better understands what they're looking at than I do.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by SFA437

I've been thinking about this for a while and I'm consdering is this.

Many species have much shorter generational timespans than people do sk any mutations will begin to express in lower animals far longer than they will in humans. Would there be a way of using this to track the spread of the contamination?

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by ikonoklast

They seem to be carefully excluding soil contamination and sea water contamination when calculating the release as 10% of Chernobyl.

Thats how they do it. Take the death toll from Chernobyl for example, the WHO and UNSCEAR list the official death toll around 80. That number is taken from the workers in the plant at the time of the accident and the emergency responders who battled the intial fire along with a few heroes who actually swam through the basement below the reactor to open valves to drain the basement. They swam through the reactor water itself.

The WHO and UNSCEAR toll does not take into account the deaths of liquidaters, pilots, or miners. The group that represents the liquidaters says over 100,000 of them have died from unatural causes. Of the 600 pilots who flew the missions to dump sand, boron and lead in the reactor, over 500 are said to be dead. Of the 10,000 miners used at Chernobyl, 2300 are said to be dead.

The whole damn world colluded to keep the true story hidden from us. Despite overwhelming evidence gathered by russian and european scientists the UN refuses to acknowledge the truth for the sake of protecting the nuclear industry.

edit on 12-4-2011 by FreeSpeaker because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   
AFP - Japanese queue to buy produce from nuclear crisis area
Tue, Apr 12, 2011

news.asiaone.com/News/Latest%2BNews/Asia/Story/A1Story20110412-273274.html

TOKYO, JAPAN - Japanese shoppers on Tuesday snapped up fruit and vegetables farmed in the area hit by a nuclear disaster at a specially organised market, saying they wanted to show solidarity with the region.

The event was held to support the hard-hit farmers of an area of northeastern Japan devastated by the triple whammy of a massive earthquake followed by a tsunami and the biggest nuclear catastrophe since Chernobyl.

Shoppers in the capital Tokyo lined up on the first day of the two-day market to buy fresh strawberries, asparagus, tomatoes and leeks from Iwaki - an area about 50 kilometres (30 miles) from the Fukushima Daiichi plant, which was devastated by the disaster.

Fears over heightened radiation levels have triggered shipping bans on some produce from nearby Fukushima prefecture, home to the crippled nuclear plant, but organisers said tests had shown everything on sale was safe to consume.

The government's chief spokesman Yukio Edano, who has sought to calm fears over radiation contamination, exclaimed "this is so sweet" as he ate a strawberry before the gathered media at the event.

"This is food that people who are going through great pain devoted all of their energy to produce," Edano said.

"Only safe produce is being distributed. Please eat it," he added, saying the government planned to organise other events to promote produce from the disaster zone.

(...)

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Here is some March 24 drone high resolution photos.

Photos

top topics

<< 675  676  677    679  680  681 >>

join