It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 673.htm
<< 670  671  672    674  675  676 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jrosh

Originally posted by zorgon

And a point of clarity... that comment that people would be on their own to evacuate came from Chief Cabinet Secretary Yukio Edano, not TEPCO....

www3.nhk.or.jp...

Either way...thats pretty sick, Japgov and Tepco in cohorts, directly responsible for not acting sooner, given they were operating on information that they are not sharing...which i assume is taken for granted by now...

And it just got worse...

Radiation levels in parts of Fukushima over limit

The Japanese government says the radiation accumulated over a 25-day period at some locations in Fukushima Prefecture has exceeded the permissible level set for a full year.

The government announced the findings on Monday. The calculation is based on data collected from 53 locations, up to 60 kilometers from the Fukushima Daiichi power plant, from the day following the March 11th disasters through April 5th.

34 millisieverts of radiation had accumulated over that period at one location in Namie Town, about 24 kilometers northwest of the plant. This equates to about 314 millisieverts per year, more than 3 times the permissible level of 100 millisieverts.

On Monday, the government expanded its 20-kilometer evacuation zone to include towns where annual exposure is expected to top 20 millisieverts. It asked residents to evacuate within about a month.

Tuesday, April 12, 2011 08:52 +0900 (JST)

www3.nhk.or.jp...

And the NHK feed is still down
At least we can get updates on this page

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by okiecowboy
reply to post by IDBIT

Like I said.....At the counter at McTepco, "Here's your S**t Sandwich"........"do you want Lies with that?"

How about a McTepco Pluto shake to wash it down.........????

I think I will just have the

Nice!

Actually, I posted theSimpson fish pic on page 444. I found out tonight that if I explain my "Sardonic Wit" people give me a bunch of stars, if you check back there are some gems. So far ironically only "notsofunnyguy' has got them.

Moving back on Topic. I think this whole situation is beyond belief and I do hope that the Main stream press starts to report some facts for a change.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 11:22 PM
link   
So... I've seen some reports from people in California going to the doctor to make thyroid tests in the last few days... and it seems a lot of them have symptoms of hypothroidism, caused by too much Iodine-131...

Anyone on the west coast can go test himself/herself and post the results on ATS?

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by IDBIT

reply to post by IDBIT

BBC saying that it is only 1/10th radiation as Chernobyl!

that is such BS!!!

ok just a quick look

they said releases of 10,000 TBq / hr for several hours...(knowing Tepco it was many hours)

1 TBq ~ 27 curies
270,000 curies/hr

just 8 hours would be 2,160,000 curies (somebody check my math to make sure)

most reports say Chernobyl was 50 million curies total

Cesium-137 levels of 3.26 million becquerels per square meter 40 kilometers northwest of the Fukushima plant

compare to most reports of Chernobyl 550,000 becquerels per square meter of Cesium-137

Like I said.....At the counter at McTepco, "Here's your S**t Sandwich"........"do you want Lies with that?"

edit on 11-4-2011 by IDBIT because: BB

That's the "Three-Reactor Combo Meal" isn't it?

I think it comes with a $12 TEPCO coupon, too. Good for one visit to RadLand.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Silverlok

Funny you should say wipe the screen. The other day I said something about the clouds above the plant looking funny with rainbow type hints, so, I get what your seeing and venting at night is plasable because of the heat in the afternoon.
Good job with the experiment

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
So... I've seen some reports from people in California going to the doctor to make thyroid tests in the last few days... and it seems a lot of them have symptoms of hypothroidism, caused by too much Iodine-131...

Anyone on the west coast can go test himself/herself and post the results on ATS?

Do you have a source for these reports please?

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

I'm in Washington State and go to Dr. every 3 months for a diabetes blood test.
I'll mention it.
The thyroid also is something they have to rule out when you go to mental health with problems also.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 11:34 PM
link   
55% of Fukushima evacuees worry radiation: survey

More than half of respondents of a survey of evacuees from Fukushima Prefecture, say their biggest future concern is the impact of radiation from the troubled nuclear power plant in the prefecture.

NHK interviewed evacuees last week, originally from Fukushima Prefecture, who are staying at shelters within the prefecture and nearby. 251 people responded.

When asked what is most troubling to them now, 55 percent of respondents said they are frustrated with the lack of accurate information about the nuclear plant, and their future housing prospects. This was followed by 36 percent who said they have to stay at shelters without privacy and 11 percent who said they cannot move easily without their own cars or gasoline.

In terms of the future, 55 percent said they are most concerned about the impact of radiation leaks from the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant, which has been out of control since the March 11 massive quake and tsunami.

43 percent said they are concerned about future jobs and their livelihood, and 28 percent said they are wondering how to secure a place to live.

One respondent said he has no idea how to stick it out, although everybody tells him to do so. Another person is worried about how he will manage because has lost both his house and land.

For evacuees, anxiety over their future appears to be growing as life at the shelters is dragging on.

Monday, April 11, 2011 15:51 +0900 (JST)

www3.nhk.or.jp...

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wertwog

It's the word going around. Could be true, could not be, that's why it would be interesting to see if ATSers could do their own investigation.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

The government announced the findings on Monday. The calculation is based on data collected from 53 locations, up to 60 kilometers from the Fukushima Daiichi power plant, from the day following the March 11th disasters through April 5th.

But people are supposed to evacuate...over the next week or so...on their own.

More suckiness from the government and TEPCO.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

And it just got worse...

Radiation levels in parts of Fukushima over limit

The Japanese government says the radiation accumulated over a 25-day period at some locations in Fukushima Prefecture has exceeded the permissible level set for a full year.

34 millisieverts of radiation had accumulated over that period at one location in Namie Town, about 24 kilometers northwest of the plant. This equates to about 314 millisieverts per year, more than 3 times the permissible level of 100 millisieverts.

On Monday, the government expanded its 20-kilometer evacuation zone to include towns where annual exposure is expected to top 20 millisieverts. It asked residents to evacuate within about a month.

Tuesday, April 12, 2011 08:52 +0900 (JST)

www3.nhk.or.jp...

And the NHK feed is still down
At least we can get updates on this page

So at a distance of up to 60 kilometers you aquire over 100 millisieverts in somewhere around 25 days.... where exactly are the planning to find 20 millisieverts a year....certainly not on that island anytime soon....

My heart goes out to those people...and its relentless with all the quake activity recently and the unknown of nuclear who knows what the bleep...the future they will have to endure...

And its great gettin info here, for every update on NHK or Kyodo...im sure there are 20 pages here

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wertwog

It's the word going around. Could be true, could not be, that's why it would be interesting to see if ATSers could do their own investigation.

I see some people on Curezone talking about it.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

You know what's even crazier? 50 milisievert per year will probably give you cancer and Japan raised the limit to 100 millisieverts? Really?

What is worse is that the majority of people in Japan don't know this and a lot of people are gonna get cancer and all kinds of diseases, but not only them, their kids too.

This is so sick, no pun intended...

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 11:43 PM
link   
en.wikipedia.org...
This helps explain the need for some iodine and the thyroid.
I made sure my vitamins have everything because I don't use table salt.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 11:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Do the Japanese have government subsidised health care?
Those poor people are in hard place heading for a harder one real fast.
I feel so bad for them.

www.expatforum.com...
wow....... they got good insurance better than US, hope they cover cancer.
edit on 11-4-2011 by rbrtj because: added link

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by notsofunnyguy

Originally posted by IDBIT

reply to post by IDBIT

BBC saying that it is only 1/10th radiation as Chernobyl!

that is such BS!!!

Do you want to supersize your Lies?

ok just a quick look

they said releases of 10,000 TBq / hr for several hours...(knowing Tepco it was many hours)

1 TBq ~ 27 curies
270,000 curies/hr

just 8 hours would be 2,160,000 curies (somebody check my math to make sure)

most reports say Chernobyl was 50 million curies total

Cesium-137 levels of 3.26 million becquerels per square meter 40 kilometers northwest of the Fukushima plant

compare to most reports of Chernobyl 550,000 becquerels per square meter of Cesium-137

edit on 11-4-2011 by IDBIT because: BB

That's the "Three-Reactor Combo Meal" isn't it?

I think it comes with a $12 TEPCO coupon, too. Good for one visit to RadLand.

Do You want to supersize your Lies?
edit on 11-4-2011 by IDBIT because: FY

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 11:58 PM
link   
URGENT: Radiation leakage may eventually exceed that of Chernobyl: TEPCO

The operator of the crippled Fukushima nuclear plant said Tuesday that it is concerned that radiation leakage at the plant could eventually exceed that of the 1986 Chernobyl catastrophe.

''The radiation leak has not stopped completely and our concern is that the amount of leakage could eventually reach that of Chernobyl or exceed it,'' an official from the Tokyo Electric Power Co. said.

Is MAY now a word to describe the past?

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 12:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Silverlok

Hmmm this is almost a month old... so why again did you post this?

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 12:00 AM
link   
Nuclear accident level raised to maximum

Official now with more numbers to ponder... but they are still saying 1/10th of Chernobyl... Just who are they trying to con? Surely anyone with internet access can look up the numbers...

I know right now NHK is still our best source but someone needs to walk into their office and slap these reporters upside the head

Japan's nuclear safety agency has raised the crisis level at the stricken Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant to 7, from the current 5.

The agency told reporters on Tuesday that large volumes of radioactive substances that could affect human health and the environment are being released in a wide area.

Level 7 is the highest rank on an international standard and equivalent to the severity recorded after the Chernobyl disaster in 1986.

But the agency said the volume of radiation from Fukushima is one-tenth that at Chernobyl.

The agency said its calculations show that 370-thousand terabecquerels of radioactive iodine 131 and cesium 137 have been released from the plant.

The nuclear safety commission, in a joint press conference with the agency, put the estimated leak at 630-thousand terabecquerels of both substances.

One terabecquerel is equivalent to one trillion becquerels. Both organizations say the leak constitutes a level-7 crisis.

Senior agency official Hidehiko Nishiyama said 29 people died of acute radiation exposure at Chernobyl but there are no fatal radiation casualties at Fukushima.

He added that at Chernobyl the nuclear reactor itself exploded in contrast to the Fukushima plant, which was damaged by hydrogen explosions. He said the reactors themselves retain their shape.

Nishiyama also said the upgrade does not affect the existing evacuation plan, which was made on the basis of the same radiation evaluation.

The agency is required to announce the severity of a crisis at a nuclear facility based on the international standard from zero up to 7 set by the International Nuclear Event Scale.

Tuesday, April 12, 2011 13:09 +0900 (JST)

www3.nhk.or.jp...

new topics

top topics

<< 670  671  672    674  675  676 >>

join