It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 67.htm
<< 64  65  66    68  69  70 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 07:41 AM
link   
CNN is reporting that the reason the rods were exposed on plant two was that the fuel pumping the water ran low because of worker error.

Again, we need to remember to filter the information we are receiving from a company with a reputation for lying unfortunately. This is just a mess. I agree with others here that independent verification is critical.

In 2002, the president of the country's largest power utility was forced to resign along with four other senior executives, taking responsibility for suspected falsification of nuclear plant safety records. The company was suspected of 29 cases involving falsified repair records at nuclear reactors. It had to stop operations at five reactors, including the two damaged in the latest tremor, for safety inspections. A few years later it ran into trouble again over accusations of falsifying data. In late 2006, the government ordered TEPCO to check past data after it reported that it had found falsification of coolant water temperatures at its Fukushima Daiichi plant in 1985 and 1988, and that the tweaked data was used in mandatory inspections at the plant, which were completed in October 2005. And in 2007, TEPCO reported that it had found more past data falsifications, though this time it did not have to close any of its plants.

Source

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 07:45 AM
link   

radiation rises

This is my post apologies i am post illiterate I can confirm that radiation levels.have risen in Tokyo for first time in 18hrs previously held at a max of 26 cpm and have just raised to 29 cpm readings taken at an altitude of 101m. I believe this to be accurate co-ordinates of equipment has been noted but I will not publicly reveal location Atm information blackout is been planned.will advise of further increases,providing source is able.

edit on 14-3-2011 by asset921vector4 because: tried to fix post dont know what im doing added a title as well.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 07:46 AM
link   
reply to post by DancedWithWolves

Again, we need to remember to filter the information we are receiving from a company with a reputation for lying unfortunately.

I absolutely agree. I'm not convinced we're hearing the whole truth from YokosoNews, I've said that since he went online about this catastrophe, BUT, it's what we've got at the moment and again it's live from Japan, so... Anyway, that's why I'm trying like mad to get a copy of the news conference from last hour...

EDIT TO ADD:

I'm hearing at this moment that 70cm of the 'exposed rods' are now covered.

But even with what they're saying, that it needs three meters to completely cover? You've got to be kidding me, only 3 meters of water over this MOX fuel is going to really 'do it'?

Like the broadcaster says this is 'Super new' news...

Well, I guess every little bit helps and we need to be thankful for that...

peace
edit on 14-3-2011 by silo13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Tepco says it has opened the steam relief valve at Daiichi's no.2 reactor.

TEPCO says water levels have risen, and the fuel rods are now only half-exposed.

live.reuters.com...
I hope they can handle it.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Even if TEPCO was being straight with us, I don't think they even know what is going on for certain.

In the event of a meltdown, they lose their means of monitoring what is happening in the reactor. The high temperatures and radiation levels destroy equipment that they count on to give them info. They can't just look in there and drop a tape measure down to the water level and say 'hey, we got 70 cm of water on them now!'.

The only thing I would believe would be a calibrated geiger counter that I had in my hands.

Read up on the Three Mile Island accident, it took them years to verify (at least to admit it) that portions of the core had melted. It took them a lot longer to clean up the mess afterward.
edit on 14-3-2011 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Ok, we're getting a heads up to watch this NOW:

NHK

GO! LISTEN!

peace

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 08:01 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

I just caught the end of the English portion of the broadcast.

They zoomed in on the video of the #3 reactor building.... It is a mess.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Masashi Goto, a former nuclear power plant designer, told a press conference in Tokyo that the consequences of a serious meltdown "would be tremendous", adding that he believed such a scenario was highly likely.

Mr Goto said the reactors at Fukushima-Daiichi were suffering pressure build-ups way beyond that for which they were designed, creating a severe risk of a second explosion

source

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 08:06 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

thanks for the heads up!!

worth watching

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 08:07 AM
link   
reply to post by okiecowboy

You really deserve an applause and then some! YOU GOT IT!

THANK YOU TONS!

Masashi Goto, a former nuclear power plant designer, told a press conference in Tokyo that the consequences of a serious meltdown "would be tremendous", adding that he believed such a scenario was highly likely.
source

It has emerged that the third reactor to suffer a failure in its cooling mechanism contained the controversial Mox fuel, which is in part made of plutonium and is thought to be more dangerous in the event of a serious meltdown.

Radiation of up to 700 times the normal level has been found at the Onagawa power plant north of Fukushima - although the government insisted that it was fallout from the radiation leak at Fukushima, rather than a separate incident at Onagawa, which was engulfed by a 21-foot wave when the tsunami hit the area on Friday.

"First I was worried about the quake," said Kenji Koshiba, a construction worker who lives near the Fukushima plant. "Now I'm worried about radiation."

That's the guy! Now we just need to find a rebroadcast of that press conference!

peace

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Very intresting video with explanation of the explosions
www.reuters.com...
edit on 14-3-2011 by AstraCat because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Silo, I'm not sure if this is it, but it looks like a possible recording of a news conference with that gentlemen

link

Sorry if it's not..don't want to mess up the thread

Michelle

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Anyone out there have any good sites for Russian news? If anyone is going to be reporting radiation levels correctly I would think it would be them as they've got a vested interested in keeping it real, and, have no real fear of exposing the truth.

Any sites people?

Thanks!

peace

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 08:31 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Russia Today

Here is one. Supposed to be a good one.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Found this a few minutes ago. Its from a blog on Forbes, so Im not really sure if this is 100% credible.

Breaking: Core at Third Nuclear Power Reactor May Have Melted Down

After explosions rocked reactors 1 and 3 at the Fukushima Dai-Ichi nuclear power complex, a third reactor (number 2) there may have already experienced a complete core meltdown — the most serious scenario — the Tokyo Electric Power Company (TEPC) which owns and operates the plant said Monday morning.

The unit lost all cooling capacity earlier in the day after backup power generators failed. The company is now reportedly attempting to pump in seawater to cool the highly radioactive molten mass, but the efforts are unlikely to succeed given the tremendous pressure inside the reactor. Plans are being made to punch a hole in the building surrounding the containment vessel in order to relieve pressure there — a process that would vent radioactive steam into the air, and, it is hoped, avoid an explosion similar to the ones that occurred at reactors 1 and 3.

edit on 14-3-2011 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 08:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Michelle129th

Silo, I'm not sure if this is it, but it looks like a possible recording of a news conference with that gentlemen

link

Sorry if it's not..don't want to mess up the thread

Hey, you're not messing anything up! You're bringing us all great new info!

I'm watching the link right now and I'll let you know - if nothing else you've brought more information to the boards and for that I give you a huge 'high five'!!!

EDIT TO ADD

I can't tell (yet) if this is NOW (or recorded) but whatever it is TUNE IN PEOPLE - it's GREAT!

peace

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Well, my radiation alarm went off twice last nite and is above the norm for this area.. I can also say that another alarm located elsewhere on a building air circulation system also went off.

My alarm is set at 0.30 μSv/h and the building alarm is set at 0.60 μSv/h.

0.30 μSv/h is the maximum permitted background radiation for buildings worldwide. (Normal buildings, not reactors and other facilities dealing with radioactive substances)

Can anyone else report abnormal readings?
(My geiger counter is calibrated and relatively new, kept in a1 condition. My Civil defense dosimeter also indicates an increase in the norm)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 08:36 AM
link   
This just came out on the Nasdaq website, saying the Pentagon has found radiation 60 miles away from the reactors.
Risk of Nuclear Catastrophe after Explosion and Contamination Found 60 Miles from Reactor

The world is still coming to terms with the terrible tragedy in Japan. A second explosion at the Fukushima nuclear reactor overnight and Pentagon reports of radiation being detected 60 miles away from the reactor suggest widening nuclear contamination leading to concerns of a nuclear catastrophe.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 08:38 AM
link   
reply to post by LilFox

Sorry, but, would you be so kind as to post here you are? Your location and post does not say.

And for you, please stay safe!

peace

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by LilFox

Where are you lil fox?

It says on the net, but I am more interested in a physical location.

new topics

top topics

<< 64  65  66    68  69  70 >>

join