It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 659.htm
<< 656  657  658    660  661  662 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   

T
Sorry quoting myself here...BUT, those thingies I'm asking about are HUGE in comparison to size of cars and trucks on the other side of the road...could those be pipes, photo shopped in, to make it look like work is happening....I mean I feel stupid right now, but that photo does not add up....KWIM?

Des

The other issue is, why haven't we seen this object before?
edit on 11-4-2011 by Wertwog because: (no reason given)

Here's a Geo Eye sat image from 3/19..

You'll see some of the same artifacts. The diagonal "pipes" is a structure of some kind. The dark image at the lower right end of the "pipes" are trees. It looks like they put in some sort of access to the reactor building coming off the "upper" corner of the building in the new pic. Orientation is the right side of the images is North,
edit on 11-4-2011 by Tworide because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by DancedWithWolves
reply to post by Destinyone

Could they be dry cask storage?

And someone just tell me it's not the reactor vessel...
or a full core of several hundred assemblies as they were taken out of #4 more recently and still hotter than others in the spent fuel pool - hence prone to fires.

Doing research on that right now...they could very well be dry cask storage containers packed for shipping.

Wow they are pretty big...here's a boat load of photos of dry casks.

www.google.com... h=558

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wertwog

reply to post by Wertwog

Look like a fit? It does to me...
edit on 11-4-2011 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by iforget

Is that tower still standing? Could those pipes not be from the inside of that if it has collapsed? Just a thought.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tworide

Here's a Geo Eye sat image from 3/19..

You'll see some of the same artifacts. The diagonal "pipes" is a structure of some kind. The dark image at the lower right end of the "pipes" are trees. It looks like they put in some sort of access to the reactor building coming off the "upper" corner of the building in the new pic. Orientation is the right side of the images is North,

Case closed... Well done.

This is why ATS is so awesome.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Wertwog

yes, the "smokey" looking mass there is just the trees. They are definitely visible in several older shots. So no worries, those "bundled" things aren't burning and giving off smoke.

They're also not any kind of cask for storing used fuel rods. Such casks are quite massive but also very solid. Generally they're around 6 metres long and roughly two metres in diameter. (Approx 18-19 feet by about 6 feet.) In any case, the casks at Daiichi are unlikely to have been damaged. They are housed away from the blown-up buildings and even though the building they're in suffered some damage back on March 11, the casks thankfully don't require cooling. Just storage. They are also incredibly tough.

My humble opinion is that those things are probably just lengths of large-diameter pipe. There has been a huge amount of damage to piping as we know, but even besides the need to eventually replace some pipes, they may well need to lay new ones for any future work with cleanup and/drainage -- or even just for temporary site works. It could be that was simply a handy place to drop the loads of pipes, in a location where even a remote-control vehicle operator could have easy line-of-sight if standing some way back on one of the access roads down into the place.

Like I say, just my opinion. Not saying I have to be right by any means. But in this case I'm not very concerned by those objects. I'm more concerned about the poor workers who are still in the area and taking huge doses of radiation.

Mike

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Wertwog

I'm trying to get a sense of scale for it. If that is a road to the right with vehicles on the right side of the road, then it is HUGE.

To me it looks like a large pipe (tunnel?) around 25 feet in diameter made out of something that looks like relatively thin corrugated steel. The right end looks somewhat jagged and slightly flared, giving it the appearance of being torn open or burst open at the right end. If it is one piece rather than two, the visible part looks to be about 100 feet long.

I am not sure if any of that is an optical illusion.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   

english.kyodonews.jp...

They might raise it to 7 FINALLY!
edit on 11-4-2011 by rubyeyes because: to add a description

How many sieverts is 10,000 terabequerls?
edit on 11-4-2011 by rubyeyes because: to ask a question.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Fractured.Facade

I don't get why the case is closed? I don't find the same diagonal shape in the old picture.
can you guys explain

That thing really looks like the content of the dry cask...without the cask..

it is placed where before there were trees, but it's not a tree and it doesn't seem like a bundle made from tree trunks either...

edit on 11-4-2011 by monica86 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

The object in the picture (if it is one long object) appears much longer than those dry cask units and thinner in relation to length. However, if it is 2 separate objects the size might be closer to the pictures you posted. I can't see how it would be possible to put any fuel rods from that plant in dry cask storage though. I mean, there's been partial meltdowns (at least) and so many issues it hardly seems safe, much less feasible. Could it be possible for dry cask storage units to hold water though? I have no idea. Regardless, maybe whatever those objects are they're going to be used to hold water as it's pumped out of the buildings. Maybe?

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by monica86

That think really looks the content of the dry cask...without cask...

What ever it is, it is WAY to long to fit in a cask

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Originally posted by JustMike
reply to post by Wertwog

Hummm, looking at some other things. I'll post back on it.

Ok, I agree with you Mike. It's just some of the angles are weird and changed. The top of the road in the google map curves and there is a small structure, however I think they must have cut a new angular access road that was throwing me off a bit, but this is definitely the same site. Some of the angles are a bit off though and the object appears closer to the building than it would have to be in the Google map. It may just be perspective. Hopefully it's just piping like you say.
edit on 11-4-2011 by Wertwog because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by monica86
I don't get why the case is closed? I don't find the same diagonal shape in the old picture.
can you guys explain

That thing really looks the content of the dry cask...without cask..

That is a sat image taken from space, perspective is everything... You can see the diagonal pipe bundle in it, and the trees at the lower end in the same place as the "smoke" some see... Also look at the shadow from the reactor building being cast on the same spot where it is obscured by the building in the new image.

It is clearly trees and some kind of very long piping.

Case closed in regard to the Trees and Pipes.. as to what they are for and why we are even discussing it, well that case will always be open here.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheRedneck
reply to post by TriForce

IQ is a number (and I actually have no idea what mine is). Never, ever, as long as you may live, be intimidated by anyone to the point where you are loath to state your opinion.

Such is the basis for slavery.

As far as potential catastrophe I cannot argue your point. Yes, nuclear energy does have the theoretical capacity to create widespread disaster (as we are seeing). But so does some guy driving through a residential area dodging school buses in a jalopy at 120 mph. That one car has the capability to cause serious damage to many lives. So, do we outlaw automobiles? Or outlaw dangerous driving?

We outlaw dangerous driving, of course. Cars are necessary to our way of life.

So when we see the following:
  • A BWR reactor plant which pumps highly radioactive water/steam throughout a large area with minimal protection against leaks,
  • This plant built on a major thrust fault line,
  • This plant designed without adherence to potential earthquake intensity, and with zero safety margin in that respect,
  • This plant designed without consideration of historic instances of tsunami probability,
  • This plant designed with minimal backup systems in place,
  • This plant having multiple 'minor' instances that indicate mismanagement, and
  • This plant introducing a 'hotter' fuel than it was designed for, against the advice of the designers
then it becomes apparent to any thinking, informed individual that this is a disaster waiting to happen.

Notice that none of those points above referenced the fact that the plant uses uranium as fuel. Without those many red flags, nuclear power has shown itself to be safe. Every accident that has occurred (and yes, there are many unfortunately) have been as a direct result of either poor design or mismanagement or lack of common sense in locating and operating said plant.

We just watched a guy driving down the road a few blocks away. He is in an antiquated Ford Pinto with bald tires, bad brakes, and his steering is so loose the first two turns of the wheel don't count. He has a 428 Cobra Jet motor with nitrous injection mounted up front and he has the gas pedal on the floor. He has missed hitting two school buses and seven children. Why are we surprised when he hits the next school bus and kills all on board?

And why do we want to outlaw all cars when this happens? The Buicks and Chryslers are doing just fine and providing a service.

I would be thrilled if there were no need for nuclear power; but there is. Wind has limits on how much energy we can take from the winds before we change the climate drastically. Solar just flat doesn't work for high-current AC applications. Hydro is awesome, but we are running out of rivers. Wave power is still in development, although promising. We are enacting legislation on fossil fuels due to carbon dioxide exhausts that are forcing them out. What's left? Nuclear!

We have a decision to make here if you are serious about getting rid of nuclear power... either deal with uranium, plutonium, strontium, cesium, etc., or deal with carbon dioxide. We seem to have chosen. Carbon dioxide is apparently the worst of the two choices.

TheRedneck

Sorry Redneck, I just noticed your reply to my post.
You make some valid points but I think the biggest stigma with Nuclear Energy is the fact that its an unseen force and people tend to be more afraid of hidden dangers, than they are of driving a Pinto with bald tires.
People fell safer when they at least have the illusion that they are in control.
It reminds me of the saying about air travel being so much safer than driving a car. While the statistics may say that is true, to me its not true.
When I am a passenger in an airliner, all control has been taken from me and put into the hands of a person I have never seen before, who could be suicidal, drunk or just having a bad day.
At least when I am driving, I have control.
When a Nuclear plant is releasing radiation, you cant see it, touch it or smell it and unless you have your own geiger counter, you have to rely on "officials" to tell you whether your safe or are going to start losing your hair tomorrow.
Plus, everyone knows that dangers are almost always downplayed when there are profits at stake.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by rubyeyes

How many sieverts is 10,000 terabequerls?

there is no way to calculate that, as far as I know...but those numbers are not good.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   
I think that the objects in question look like bundles of piping. Under the US system piping would be delivered in 21 foot lengths. I am not sure how they supply it under metric measurement. Looking at the lower right portion that is visible, they don't quite line up with the portion above and to the left of them.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   
fleep.com...
pls take a look, this is radiation monitoring too, take a look, you won't regret it.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   

I am not sure what you mean
Here is what I see

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by monica86

I can't draw on a picture... You are looking at it from a completely different perspective... The new image is much closer and from the other side of that building... The shadow where it shows the "damaged" framework structure cast directly on the pipes where it it obscured in the new image.

Really, it seems you are looking in all of the wrong places.. Look at the trees in the center-right of the sat image, then the pipes that move diagonally up from there, then the shadow, then consider the new image.. If it isn't clear to you by then, then I can't help you... Sorry.

edit on 11-4-2011 by Fractured.Facade because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Instead of looking at the old shawdowee pic

look at this old one

I am getting the position by comparing where the damage on the roof at n.1 is

files.abovetopsecret.com...

/i am not very good at these things, but that diagonal "thing" was not there at the time where the picture above was taken, from what I can tell

It could be a bundle of big cables, it could be the content of the dry cask ...

new topics

top topics

<< 656  657  658    660  661  662 >>

join