It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 653.htm
<< 650  651  652    654  655  656 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 03:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by MedievalGhost

Originally posted by silent thunder
Woah. Huge aftershock right now in Tokyo. Building still shaking.

Centered in Fukushima prefecture

震度 6, Magnitude 7.1

Was a large one. Hope everything is ok down there.
edit on 11-4-2011 by MedievalGhost because: (no reason given)

Thanks! You are always quick on the draw with the info.

Now lets see how it effected the reactors, if at all. Don't like the fact the center is in Fukushima.
reply to post by JustMike

Edit to add: thanks to Justmike as well.

edit on 4/11/11 by silent thunder because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 03:43 AM
link   
Apparently all Japanese nuke plants are currently reporting no damage or power failures. I wonder how they could inspect everything in just 20 minutes?

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 03:45 AM
link   
Yellow rain covers the snow in northern Sweden
Maybe this is not strictly related to the accident in Fukushima, we do not know yet but a newspaper in northern Sweden is reporting of a yellow rain in the mountain region in Swedish Lapland. At this time of the year, still the land is mostly covered in snow. So it becomes easy to detect miscolored rain or snowfall. Yesterday 10th April 2011, a mix of rain and snowfall left the snow cover yellow colored. Newspaper article published in NSD (Swedish language)

It has happened before but to my knowledge it was left unexplained. When the snow was yellow in the 1990s experts suggested that it could be sand from Saharan sandstorms. Today meteorologist however think it is unlikely that sand could travel that far (from Sahara and beyond a few 100 km of the arctic circle. The winds has been blowing from the west from the Atlantic sea the last days.

Maybe it is not related to Fukushima, but it could be a release from some other industrial accident or natural fenomenon or perhaps from one of the large mines in northern Sweden. But I would not want it to wet my feet until I know for shure what it is. At least it is a clear illustration that release into the atmosphere travels far and in substantial amounts.

Update: Yellow snow is most likely from Saharan sandstorms. Measurements made by US navy confirm that airborne particles from Sahara sand has been detected over the Atlantic sea. NSD newspaper (in Swedish)

So nuclear powerplants in regions where storms can blow particles into the air is a bad idea from a global contamination perspective!
edit on 11-4-2011 by Teknetium because: Update of new information

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 03:46 AM
link   
Quake location on Google Earth, using USGS's coordinates to plot:

Only about 62 km (less than 39 miles) SSW from Fukushima Daiichi and even closer to Daini.

edit on 11/4/11 by JustMike because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 03:52 AM
link   
TEPCO saying Fukushima reactors 1-3 off-site power is now offline. Water injection cooling is suspended. Workers are also evacuated from both Daiini and Daiichi nuke plants.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 03:52 AM
link   
reply to post by MedievalGhost

It would be physically impossible to visually inspect everything in such a short time (especially at sites that are already damaged), and they know quite well that it's not good enough to just check gauges as they won't show things like smaller leaks until there are pressure/level changes or irregularities. In other words, that statement from them is obviously just for public consumption and in no way can be taken as reflecting reality.

Anyway, the quake's location has just been slightly revised -- which is quite normal for quakes and nothing to be concerned about -- so I'll plot a new map and post it.

Mike
edit on 11/4/11 by JustMike because: Needed to emphasise "impossible".

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 03:54 AM
link   

TEPCO saying Fukushima reactors 1-3 off-site power is now offline. Water injection cooling is suspended. Workers are also evacuated from both Daiini and Daiichi nuke plants.

Shiat!

DailyYomiuri BREAKING NEWS: TEPCO says quake has cut external power supply to reactors Nos. 1 to 3 at Fukushima No. 1 nuclear power plant.

This is real bad.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 03:54 AM
link   
Look at the current quake paths... next 7.1 could theoretically strike right underneath Tokyo.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 03:56 AM
link   
Webcam offline. Doesn't promise any good.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 04:00 AM
link   
reply to post by AlphaExray

I think at this point, these reactors need to be thought of as not 6 independant reactions, but one big open exposed reactor. The slurry is the only thing providing any kind of cooling. The russians have been using liquid sodium as a coolant for years in their submarine designs. Good to 800 degrees, then starts to burn, and gives off grey smoke. Those sumps were designed to contain a spill, they did their job, they should leave them alone, and start working on the entombment process. Why pump it out when you have no where to put it. Store it with this mess for god sakes!

Lets say they do decide to go for entombment of this nuclear swiss cheese without pumping out all that contaminated water, but instead use it to form the concrete. My question is: just how radioactive would the resultant concrete be? Another factor in play is all the fractures UNDER everything. Concrete would only cap the problem while it continues to leak from the bottom with no way to contain it. The really scary part is I could see Ineptco/Kan/Putzster going for some quick 'fix' like this out of desperation as this disaster wears on to restore the Japanese citizens confidence (and to show the rest of the world) that the disaster has ended when they really just put a band-aid on it. Redneck, could they be considering this?

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 04:00 AM
link   
震度 means seismic shaking intensity (Japanese measurement scale). This quake was a 6 on a total scale of 7. A very damaging quake. It was only 10 km deep. I have to wonder how damaged Fukushima plant is now.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 04:03 AM
link   
Here's the new plot of the location on Google Earth. Little change in distance but still important to show the quake's location as near as can be determined.

Note: don't be surprised if USGS revises their value for this quake. Could go down, could go up. Usually USGS revises down with the Japan quakes.

M.Ghost: Are the Japanese news services still showing this quake as a shindo 6 and a magnitude 7.1 (Mw)?

Mike

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 04:04 AM
link   

Oh man...BOTH PLANTS? I always wake up right when a quake occurs!

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 04:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by JustMike
M.Ghost: Are the Japanese news services still showing this quake as a shindo 6 and a magnitude 7.1 (Mw)?

Mike

Yes, tv still showing shaking intensity scale of 6, and magnitude of 7. Iwaki prefecture now reporting many injuries. Sounds like a seriously damaging quake. Landslides also reported.

Another quake just hit. Awaiting reports...

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 04:07 AM
link   
reply to post by MedievalGhost

Did you see Arnie Gunderson's latest video at Fairewinds.com? He just explained yesterday what happens when you let the fuel rods heat up. I'm afraid multiple reactors are going to go into meltdown now. It's only a matter of time now.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 04:10 AM
link   
Now they are saying external power supply has been resumed at Fukushima plant, and water injection has resumed. Too many conflicting reports right now. Not sure what to believe.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 04:11 AM
link   

Apparently all Japanese nuke plants are currently reporting no damage or power failures. I wonder how they could inspect everything in just 20 minutes?

NHK report power lost toFfukishima Daiichi 1 - 2 - 3 . water injection has been suspended. Workers temporarily evacuated.

Fire and explosion seen at port on Sky new/ NHK.

Car trapped in mud slide with people on board.

Several gas fires.

Irakibaki fire service have several reports of injuries.

Tsunami warnings lifted.

Please be aware of strong jolts. Earthquake warning issued to Fukishima and Irakibaki.

Fukishima Daiichi 1 and 3 have external power supply and water injection has been resumed. No radiation level increase.

Fukishima Daiichi 4,5,6 no irregularities observed...

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 04:14 AM
link   
How deep was the quake?

If it was only 10 ft then we know it was the "corium" burping...LOL!

NHK now reporting the 15 mins interruption of water injection may have lowered water levels.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 04:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by JustMike

Mike

Yes, tv still showing shaking intensity scale of 6, and magnitude of 7. Iwaki prefecture now reporting many injuries. Sounds like a seriously damaging quake. Landslides also reported.

Another quake just hit. Awaiting reports...

Another hit? Details...my eq app is down

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 04:18 AM
link   
USGS reporting a 6.6 just hit....
edit on 11-4-2011 by amongus because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 650  651  652    654  655  656 >>

join