It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 65.htm
<< 62  63  64    66  67  68 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 05:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Hot_Wings

What an absurd theory.

This is why the news is not showing any graphics of how these explosions took place in such a manner that “Did Not” destroy containment.

Information has been scarce and they are obviously not experts on nuclear power reactors, hence they don't know.

. However, the core creates the hydrogen. If the core is sealed, then any explosion of hydrogen must therefore be from the core, and not the cooling pumps.

Hydrogen is routinely injected in the Make Up Water System to control corrosives which is completely outside of containment, hence this is where it may of come from. Or it may of come from the core. The core isn't sealed, instead there are numerous valves used to control pressure (etc) hence it would depend on how and if they vented it.

Why? It is because these explosions most likely killed anyone who knew how to operate the experiment at the facility and there is nothing they can do to stop what has all ready happened (full meltdown).

Or because all of the reactors are of the same design and aall have the same limiting flaw. They are all in complete blackout and thus hydrogen igniters won't work and most efforts to cool the core won't work.

Why did radiation levels initially increase with the explosion, and then go down?

reply to post by Unity_99

edit to add: Here near the bottom of this article is a picture of a plutonium mushroom. Looks the same.

Explosions generally produce mushroom clouds. An explosion from a nuclear weapon will create a similar looking mushroom cloud to any sort of explosion.

reply to post by GhostR1der

Most unusual part is that in New Zealand, a nuclear free country (you can see why we are), it's pretty hard to find potassium iodide for a precautionary stock.

There's a possibility that you can't find potassium iodide in new zealand because it wasn't expected that new zealanders would ever need it?
edit on 14/3/11 by C0bzz because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 06:09 AM
link   
About 5 or so minutes ago on CNN (cable tv), the person reporting said there has been an increase in radiation levels, but they didnt say where. Heres an article I found that says there is high radiation levels.

I do not know if this source is "credible". This is the first time ive seen this website before.

Green Action Japan

5 members of the Japan Visual Journalist Association (JVJA) and Ryuichi HIROKAWA, editor-in-chief of DAYS JAPAN (magazine), arrived at Futaba Town where the Fukushima Daiichi reactors are located (the plants are located in both Okuma Town and Futaba Town) to undertake independent monitoring measurements.

We travelled to Futaba Town, arriving shortly after 10:00am Sunday, 13 March and began taking radiation readings. We took three types of radiation detectors, one each. The levels were extremely high.
According to Mr. Hirokawa, when measurements were taken near the high school at Futaba town, the measurements were higher than (the recording sounds like “higher than” but the wording is not 100% clear) when he had taken measurements approximately 200 meters from unit 4 at Chernobyl.

We went to the Futaba Town Hall to inform them about this situation, but because everyone had evacuated, there were no people there. At the front of the Futaba Town Hall, all our three radiation monitors went off scale and became inoperable (we could not take measurements).

We went to Futaba Kosei Hospital, the town’s hospital, where 4 people had been hospitalized the day before for radiation exposure. At the entrance of the hospital, stretchers were turned over, many things were scattered, a feeling that evacuation had been undertaken in a very rushed way. On the first floor, beds were overturned, vinyl pipes for blood injections were scattered around, many items were in disarray, showing that things were very rushed when they evacuated. When we checked the examination room, the levels were so high that measurements could not be taken.

If anyone knows anything about this site, if it is credible or not, let us know. The article says the "three radiation monitors went off scale", but I find that hard to believe at the moment.

So far, atleast from what I know, this article and the previous one I posted from AsiaOne are the only articles that are saying the radiation has increased.

Edit: Heres a youtube video on the article. Its all in Japanese (i think) and I have no idea how to translate it. They show their radiation detector devices about 5:00 into the video but I have no idea what they mean either (not good quality video either).

Also heres the previous article I posted about radiation levels going up (AsiaOne)Radiation level up at Japan Fukushima Daiichi nuke plant
edit on 14-3-2011 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 06:13 AM
link   
On Sky News they are saying that the fuel rods at the Fukushima's no 2 reactor are now fully exposed -

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 06:13 AM
link   
reply to post by C0bzz

It's epic fail. I guess Australia would have it stocked due to their nuclear technology? Might be possible for us kiwis to source from there instead..

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 06:17 AM
link   
newest below.

The operator of Fukushima Daiichi's number 2 reactor says water levels are nearly empty. Jiji is reporting that the fuel rods have been left fully exposed at the comlpex's number 2 reactor as levels of water coolant have fallen. If the fuel rods were to melt down, the risk of damage to the reactor vessel would be greater, increasing the risk of a radioactive leak.

Jiji reports the operator has started injecting sea water into the reactor to cover the rods.

To clarify, the operator is plant-owner Tepco.

via live.reuters.com...
edit on 14-3-2011 by AstraCat because: added a new line

Press Release (Mar 14,2011) Occurrence of a Specific Incident (Failure of reactor cooling function) Stipulated in Article 15, Clause 1 of the Act on Special Measures Concerning Nuclear Emergency Preparedness

At 2:46PM on March 11th 2011, the turbines and reactors of Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station Unit 1 (Boiling Water Reactor, rated output 460 Megawatts) and Units 2 and 3 (Boiling Water Reactor, Rated Output 784 Megawatts) that had been operating at rated power automatically shutdown due to the Tohoku-Chihou-Taiheiyou-Oki Earthquake. (previously announced) In response, water injection into Unit 2's reactor were being carried out by the Reactor Core Isolation Cooling System. However, as the Reactor Core Isolation Cooling System failed today, it was determined that a specific incident (failure of reactor cooling function) stipulated in article 15, clause 1 has occurred at 1:25 pm today.

www.tepco.co.jp...

edit on 14-3-2011 by AstraCat because: added press-release from tepco

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 06:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by blackcat99
On Sky News they are saying that the fuel rods at the Fukushima's no 2 reactor are now fully exposed -

I guess the engineers will get to see how well their containment plans work out in reality , if they don't keep the seawater going in there.

Is anyone ready to admit that the radiation emitted from this accident may be more than just a trifle? I kept hearing things like, 'Oh, these elements have half-lives of about 5 seconds'. Those elements went 60 miles in 5 seconds?

They are fast too, I guess.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 06:22 AM
link   
reply to post by blackcat99

yes also confirmed here
FLASH: Fuel rods at No. 2 reactor of Fukushima No. 1 nuke plant fully exposed (19:58)
english.kyodonews.jp...

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 06:23 AM
link   
Here is a picture I found on a board, it shows both explosions.
img694.imageshack.us...
Should ring a bell. Maybe it's time for the people on the west-coast to move to the midwest.
You still have time.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 06:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Regenstorm
SNIP- Maybe it's time for the people on the west-coast to move to the midwest.
You still have time.

Not trying to stir, but everyone's HAARPing (see what I did there) on about the west coast. What makes everyone seem to think its gonna stop there? Why would the mid west be safer? This proposed cloud of doom will have already crossed the entire pacific ocean so crossing the continental US would be a relatively small distance in comparison.

I just don't get the west coast, west coast posts and the implication that further inland would be safer. In my opinion it wouldn't make any difference. Down wind is down wind.

Just sayin...

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 06:38 AM
link   
Have there been any photos released of the #3 reactor building after the explosion?

It would be interesting to see what it looks like, that explosion was much more energetic than the #1 reactor hydrogen explosion.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 06:41 AM
link   
First Picture of Reactor 3 after explosion:

The Complete outer hull seems to be gone.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 06:43 AM
link   
Getting Mix Messages!
US experts fear 'Chernobyl-like' crisis for Japan
Posted: 13 March 2011 0741 hrs

The situation has become desperate enough that they apparently don't have the capability to deliver fresh water or plain water to cool the reactor and stabilize it, and now, in an act of desperation, are having to resort to diverting and using sea water," said Robert Alvarez, who works on nuclear disarmament at the Institute for Policy Studies.
www.channelnewsasia.com...

Japan nuclear plant: 'no Chernobyl possibility'

Japan's nuclear safety agency has said there is "absolutely no possibility of a Chernobyl" style accident at the Fukushima No.1 plant, according to the national strategy minister.
www.telegraph.co.uk...

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 06:43 AM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

On Sky News they get pretty close to the pictures - looks like the whole thing has blown apart - definately a lot less is left compared to the first explosion

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 06:44 AM
link   
Live interview at the moment here:

YokosoNews

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 06:46 AM
link   
reply to post by who-me?

Exactly right. Chernobyl increased background throughout the northern hemisphere and so will this IF it comes to a real meltdown of these reactors. As the jet stream moves from west to east it will eventually encircle the globe.

The big question remains... is the primary containment breached at either of the two reactors which had the secondary containment blown off?

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 06:46 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

I have been watching YokosoNews as well...I notice how they are now using the word "meltdown" alot now
sounds like they pretty much admiting now it's not pretty at all

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 06:47 AM
link   
More from: YokosoNews

‘At 6:24 it was ‘officially announced’ Unit #2 suspected a total rod exposure, not able to confirm because they can’t see it, but, they suspect a total rod exposure in Unit #2.

Great effort is being made to introduce new water into the unit to cool it but they are unable to keep the levels of water from falling.’

I’m sorry I can’t give you the name of the experts that are speaking but they ‘speak’ their names and I’m deficient in my spelling of Japanese. There are many ‘experts’ being interviewed and I’m only at this point a tool - I’m just typing what I’m hearing and reposting it here from a live conference.

EDIT TO ADD:

‘We heard the fuel rods are fully exposed. What does that mean?’
(Question from journalist)

(Answer from ‘expert’)

It depends on the time they are exposed. The more time, the more severe. They cannot deny at this time the reactor core has melted, but, we are doing our best to counter act this by pumping in sea water.

peace

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 06:48 AM
link   
People with high radiation levels isolated in Japan

Possibly a news source to keep a close eye on...

peace

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 06:49 AM
link   

It depends on the time they are exposed. The more time, the more severe. They cannot deny at this time the reactor core has melted, but, we are doing our best to counter act this by pumping in sea water.

peace

This is self contradictory, reactor core has melted , but they are doing their best to counteract that ?
Counter act what ? if the core has already melted ?

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 06:54 AM
link   
(Question from journalist)

You’re basically describing a worst case scenario (the rods are showing debris at the bottom of the reactor, meaning, meltdown has/is occurring). How much time do we have and how will this effect the other reactors?

(Answer from expert being interviewed)

’In the case of a worst case scenario all I can say is it will take time. There are too many factors to take into consideration and at this point we can’t ‘see’ into the reactor.

As for the other workers trying to keep the other reactors cool? In a worst case scenario they could not continue their work. So we can only hope they keep trying.

peace

top topics

<< 62  63  64    66  67  68 >>

join