It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 645.htm
<< 642  643  644    646  647  648 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   
It looks like awareness and animosity are growIng worldwide and at least some (granted Greenpeace seems tk be the main organization) are wanting to be heard.

Looks like makeitso beat me to it.

That's what I get for mowing the yard...

edit on 10-4-2011 by jadedANDcynical because: Drat

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by SFA437

you know...you are right..
thank you..I am sorry for feeding the trolls..I normally know better....

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Moshpet
I was in Doha Kuwait when 2/11 ACR's motor pool blew up. About a week or so, on and off, there was a 'mystery flu' going around for several weeks afterwards. Which of course was due to the DU dust that we were not protected against during clean up operations.

Several members of the various units around Doha had to be hospitalized due to dehydration. Me, myself, had several rounds of the 'mystery flu' or a long continuous bout with it. But then I was deep in the debris zone during the explosions, and my area of clean up operations was less than 50 meters from the blast zone.

I survived the explosions and the 'flu', but as to if I will survive the poisoning later on in my life, remains to be seen. It's over 20 years since then, and I am still alive, but well, many of my fellow Vets from that time period are not.

While I appreciate the humor in some of the posts in this thread, I think folks should start using something similar to:

/sarcastic humor

(bad jokes here)

/end sarcastic humor

So that its more evident that it was an attempt at humor.

Because lately the humor hasn't been funny, and I've had to bite my tongue and fight the urge to /slap people on this forum for being stupid.

No amount of Ionizing radiation is safe, period.

/sarcasm
An' while you might survive for a time, ingesting radioactive materials is not a good way to test your genetic legacy.

Though I might let various politicians demonstrate this.

/end sarcasm.

So folks, you might need to consider some of us may not be in a joking mood or distanced enough from our outrage to realize you are joking.

Just saying,

M.

Wanted to get this back up before I go get ready for work tomorrow.

Thanks to all for the real news and stars.

My heart is breaking right now for the people in Japan.

I have big day tomorrow, teaching HS science and I get evaluated tomorrow. I know one thing that I will be talking about though, and not making any jokes.
I have not been sleeping right, and don't see how I will anytime soon.

If anyone can find some good geological data on the soil and rock under the site, it would be interesting. TEPCO did a survey, but I could only find the plan, not the results. Go figure?

M

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by SFA437

The end result of all radiation is gamma. Alpha, beta, and neutron emissions are simply steps to get to that final gamma release. Gamma release is basically microwaves; it produces heat in surrounding atoms.

Knowing that, and knowing how much heating effect is produced by the associated beta and alpha releases, one can equate the energy released from I-131 and Cs-134 to the radiation released from other background sources. Once this is done, a comparison of levels can be made.

Much of the paranoia I see is based on the fact that I-131 and Cesium are not 'natural' elements and thus are somehow more deadly... nope. If ingested, I-131 will react just like normal iodine and accumulate in the thyroid, concentrating its effects. Cesium is toxic (regardless of the isotope). But the radioactive effects in the environment can be equated to background sources.

So how dangerous are the isotopes? That depends on exposure and the isotope. Cesium is toxic, yes, but it mimics potassium and therefore is not concentrated in the body; it is flushed out just like potassium is. I-131 has a short half-life and therefore will not remain reactive for very long unless continuously replenished.

Would I choose to chow down on either one? No! But the human body does one thing and does it very well: it heals itself. That's what it does. As long as the levels of radiation from internal sources and the toxicity rates are small enough for the body to repair the damage as fast as it is produced, there is no problem.

TheRedneck

link   

Originally posted by zorgon
reply to post by okiecowboy

Amazing how much info NHK is releasing right now I can't capture it all. Will have to catch the recycle or hope someone is saving this for youtube

Maybe they lifted the news blackout finally

edit on 10-4-2011 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

You know I hate to be a "Donny Downer" but judging from TEPCO's media control to date my gut instinct tells me the situation is about to get much worse than they are reporting.

If the situation were "under control" in any way shape or form they would not be releasing any bad news or fearful speculations or realistic radiation damage assessments. That ofcourse is an opinion based on how they have handled the crisis to date. I hope I am wrong.

link   
Task team is situated in a special quake resistant building

300 people including an engineer who built the plant are in an earthquake resistant building. Split up into teams. One worker spoke to NHK and says they are working on restoring functions in the turbine building. They have NOT said which one, but I assume it would be #2

NHK managed to interview one worker... his face and voice not shown...

The three workers that first got exposed... the day BEFORE radiation was low at only 1 mSv/hour so they ewent in... the next day there was water of 400 mSv/hr of 15 cm depth. They were working in the dark with just a small light trying to hook up the pumps.

The worker interviewed say that the situation has NOT changed at all. He says going in to search for leaks in such an environment is like going in to die. There is no way to know how to prepare yourself for such work.

Looks like they are repeating this story all day... what a change from the last few days. I wonder if the elections just completed have anything to do with that

www3.nhk.or.jp...

Also they have an expert that has analyzed the ocean currents in the area and others studying the effect on fish

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

I'm thinking they finally got the things to melt down into the bedrock. Out of sight, out of mind. Now it's time for the PR crews to jump in full force.

Oh, wait... we seem to have forgotten about the fact that there is still corium in fractured bedrock...

TheRedneck

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by XRaDiiX
I'm sure they wouldn't release milk into public consumption if it was over the safety limit
[

And I am sure Canada wouldn't let the USA test agent orange over Canadian towns either...

Oh wait they did

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by XRaDiiX

This will be my last comment to you on this topic..
perhaps you don't understand what the word safe means

merriam-webster says

SAFE: free from RISK or harm

source

I'm sure they wouldn't release milk into public consumption if it was over the safety limit

now lets see what Canada says safe is in that site you provided

the food supply is considered 'safe' in the sense that radiation dose and health risk are limited

see the difference there??
lets look further shall we??

It is Health Canada's judgement that this intervention level provides an adequate degree of safety, and represents a reasonable expectation of what the public will accept in the event of an emergency

bolding mine

your source

now you please go back and look and see if you can find where they are saying it is FREE FROM RISK OR HARM

not this adequate degree of safety bs....so go back to your black ops game and leave the grown ups alone

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheRedneck
Oh, wait... we seem to have forgotten about the fact that there is still corium in fractured bedrock...

So if it sinks in deep enough to the bedrock, will it still leak into the sea? Be interesting to calculate that. Maybe that is what they are hoping for...

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Well if you're not going to drink the milk you better not eat any meat either than but i will continue to eat it!

Suit Yourself but the levels are so miniscule for the time being there is not much to worry about unless you're very close to Japan
edit on 10-4-2011 by XRaDiiX because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

One of the foundations of physics is that matter/energy can neither be created nor destroyed, only changed in form. Yes, it will still contaminate the Pacific at a deeper level, but TEPCO will be able to take surface tests and show a decreasing amount of radiation. No one will think to look down.

I do believe we may finally be coming to an end of this tragedy, or at least to the end of the continuation of the disaster. There will be much cleanup, and the Japanese will never be the same... the radiation already released is enough to severely impact life there. Fukushima is a dead zone. The pacific will continue to be adversely affected for a very very long time. But at least TEPCO can start closing the buildings down and bulldozing the debris away.

After all, you can't see radiation. You can see damaged buildings.

TheRedneck

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Here is a link to the tsunami smacking into the nuclear plant:
Tsunami hitting Fukushima Nuke Plant

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Moshpet
I was in Doha Kuwait when 2/11 ACR's motor pool blew up. About a week or so, on and off, there was a 'mystery flu' going around for several weeks afterwards. Which of course was due to the DU dust that we were not protected against during clean up operations.

Several members of the various units around Doha had to be hospitalized due to dehydration. Me, myself, had several rounds of the 'mystery flu' or a long continuous bout with it. But then I was deep in the debris zone during the explosions, and my area of clean up operations was less than 50 meters from the blast zone.

I survived the explosions and the 'flu', but as to if I will survive the poisoning later on in my life, remains to be seen. It's over 20 years since then, and I am still alive, but well, many of my fellow Vets from that time period are not.

Army Shipping Contaminated Kuwait Sand to Idaho
You do know they transplanted that heap to Idaho. It was one gigantic pile of sand a couple miles off the highway heading from Mt. Home to Boise. Seeing the endless line of dump trucks with the radioactive placards hauling it down across the Snake River was very uncool. Shameful the town and airbase at Mt. Home had no idea they lived down wind of this nightmare. Well, they did but they weren't exactly putting it out there to the people. I'd have not known if I hadn't helped a fellow fix his truck and asked him what he did for a living.

Soul

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   

reply to post by Wertwog

Educated yourself Google is very friendly the Government is actually testing for radiation in Domestic and Imported Foods etc Check it Before you spout lies. We don't need people spreading fear mongering when there is no threat for the moment we should be more worried about those in Japan.

Namatse

www.inspection.gc.ca...

Now if you can't do a simple google search about the facts then i suppose you don't criticize it again because it says right on the government website!

The link is in my post....

Here right from the website

As expected, negligible levels of radioactivity have been detected along the North American west coast. The radiation levels found on the west coast are less than the natural levels of radiation that would be detected when it rains or snows.

Nonetheless, as a prudent measure and out of an abundance of caution to reaffirm the safety of this dietary staple for the majority of Canadians, samples of domestically produced milk from British Columbia were tested to verify that milk remains safe for consumption.

Going to take a chance here that your not intentionally trolling.

Hehe, I'm the fear monger huh? So you've switched from ALTERNATECH to me. Do you just call anyone a "fear monger" who disagrees with you?

Finally, you post a source to show they are starting to test milk, still doesn't refute the previous poster's argument that low level radiation could be more harmful than previously thought.

I lied huh? Well, It was widely reported on April 2nd that Canadian inspection agency refuses to test milk for radiation. The Gov site was posted April 6, so it appears the Canadian Gov has reversed their position, that's great.. however...

There is some data on external levels, but they haven't posted the results of these 4 samples and it makes me wonder why not? If they were such low level why not post the data. I'd like to know what they consider "pertinent radionuclides" also. The study they do reference is from 2009-03-10, and that's just odd. Study

The argument ALTERNATECH brought forward is that low-level radiation IS A THREAT and he backed it up with great science, you however, seem to want to live in your cocoon and call intelligent posters who know something on the subject and are genuinely concerned "fear mongers". The fact that the CanGov may now be testing some milk (and not releasing the data and saying everything is "SAFE") doesn't buy you the right.

(Troll? we'll see!).
edit on 10-4-2011 by Wertwog because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

im curious about the spent fuel rods that people have said were most probably spewed all over the place..what are they doing? are they melting into the ground too?

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   

I oversimplified my OP.

The point I was going for is that iodine and cesium are found naturally but the isotopes will behave in the same way as to accumulation and storage in the body (and cause damage due to decay) as well as alluding to the negative representation of the inverse square rule

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   

I guess the key concept in whether it is safe is, done correctly, and with sufficient redundancies. Thing is that I would have expected that the Japanese would have been the ones to do it right. I think we will have to focus on using better technology. Our battery back-ups generally last 1/2 the time theirs did. Were these batteries state of the art in the 70s? Are there better ones now? How much battery time should they have? Obviously 8 hours is way to low, 8 days might make me feel better living next to one.
Do you think the training level for personnel here is better or worse, and do you think it has improved or declined in the last 20+ years since TMI?
I don't blame the plant personnel, but, (bad joke - The punt was obviously a play included in mgmt.s playbook.
If you remember one in yours, let me know.)

Really gotta go NOW,
Thanks again though

M

BTW - Family from way back is from N.E. Alabama, little town called Pisgah.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   
A week before becoming ground zero for the world’s biggest nuclear crisis since 1986, the Fukushima Dai-Ichi plant offered $11 an hour for full-time maintenance work in an area of Japan that was lagging even before last month’s earthquake and tsunami struck.

The wage, the same as McDonald’s Corp. (MCD) pays for part-time work in Tokyo, shows the scale of the northern Tohoku region’s economic blight and indicates towns may never recover from the disaster. Almost 28,000 people are dead or missing and 160,000 are homeless in Tohoku, where 25 percent of the population is 65 or older and job seekers outnumber jobs by two-to-one.

McDonald’s Wage For Nuclear Job Shows Some Japan Towns May Fade

Maybe they should pay them a little more,especially at a Nuclear Facility.........

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Also need to make the point that what they are recording is CURRENT levels... and this is early in the game. This will likely put out years of continued pollution. The fish studies in Japan showed that fish of Japan showed high levels of Cesium for years after Chernobyl... And that source was stopped relatively quickly after the accident... yet it still showed up in fish off the coast of Japan...

Cesium 137 uptake into plants... the white glow shows where the Cesium was absorbed into the rice grain very quickly from tests

A Farmer OUTSIDE the 30Km area... his farm has high levels of cesium and he has been suspended from farming with no info on when or if he can start.

He goes to a bulletin board where they post daily radiation levels in the air. This board s 35 km from the plant

Residents have returned to homes because they have no where else to go and no money to relocate. They also would have no jobs to go to and don't want to leave the older people behind who don't want to leave. The farmers son who was to take over the farm is thinking of leaving the area with his kids, but his father says that is crazy, that he won't abandon the village

new topics

top topics

<< 642  643  644    646  647  648 >>

join