It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 639.htm
<< 636  637  638    640  641  642 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 12:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheRedneck
reply to post by Silverlok

once I was working in a place where the neutral and ground line for the electricity were cut leaving only the two 120 alternating current lines , the supply voltage went nuts radically altering between 60volts and 240v at any given point depending on usage, we had a true floating ground situation. I saw light bulbs glow withthe smae weird intensity pattern seen in those lights . also clearly visible in those light sare nultiple spots that must be kilometers apart.

That is an astounding observation!

Yes, normally the two phase lines are regulated with respect to ground, but if that ground is interrupted for whatever reason, they will be regulated with respect to whatever charge voltage exists on the ground conductor. That could theoretically be thousands of volts of differential, although practically it would likely be much less.

So when one plant is putting out 120VAC 60Hz dual phase with respect to ground, and another is putting out the same with respect to something else, there can exist an absolute difference between the voltages. That absolute difference will act as a short circuit wherever those voltages meet, creating an arc. Also, if both are backed up by large generating power plants, that arc could become sustained.

I had been wondering mainly about the length of the glow, as it did appear to go on much longer than what a transformer typically would have. But if it was two unreferenced voltage sources coming in contact, then it could easily have created a sustained electric arc.

You just got yerself a star.

TheRedneck

yes I believe that we had what Cali had all those years ago , either a strange "earth is no longer a ground" situation, or the much more likely event of voltage synchronicity inductance failure due to ANOTHER criticality at a different plant

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 01:08 AM
link   
Here is an interesting article about plans to move the radioactive water.

From Kyodo News

Highly radioactive water in nuke plant to be moved for storage Sun.
TOKYO, April 10, Kyodo

Workers at the troubled Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant are expected Sunday to start pumping out highly radioactive water filling an underground trench to a nearby storage place they have secured inside the No. 2 reactor turbine building, the government's nuclear safety agency said.

Hidehiko Nishiyama, a spokesman for the Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency, said that removing the highly contaminated water from the trench must be done ''in haste,'' as the level of the water filling the tunnel-like trench is edging up, apparently because of steps taken to prevent the water from leaking into the Pacific Ocean.

edit on Sun Apr 10 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 01:20 AM
link   
A lot of fear going on in this thread about radiation.

There is no cloud seeding over the pacific, the radiation disperses over the amount of space between here and there, that's just plain physics. The plume is traveling 5000 miles. Chernobyl was supposedly worse than what is happening here, I do not believe that, but, 5000 miles away from the plant was minute radiation, why do we think that here it is going to be deadly?

We still in science have not fully wrapped our heads around radiation, especially smaller amounts. When you compare in the US and Canada with the amount of background radiation vs. The cancer rates, it seems as if a small amount of radiation is actually beneficial. They have gone into the exclusion zone of Chernobyl and studied the animals living there, they are actually less prone to genetic mutation, and less prone to abnormalities.

The people in Ramsar, Iran are exposed to 130 mSv annually year after year. Some people have actually built up radiation resistance.

www.ecolo.org...

I'm not saying this doesn't suck, this is the biggest disaster of our history and the sad thing is it is man made, but, our thoughts need to be with the Japanese people whose government is lying to them.

Pred...

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 01:20 AM
link   
reply to post by MelvinTheMad

Here is an animation showing tsunami debris from the Fukushima area Based on Satellite images and study of ocean currents

That was taken from a news article out of Hawaii, Researchers from University of Hawii provide the data.

Not sure the debris will actually hit the West Coast, but comes close. In the good ole days, ships disposed of trash 12 miles out to sea off the coast of California, never recall incidents of debris making it ashore in California, once it gets caught up in the currents, not sure where it ends up. (Unless it was retrieved by a Russian Trawler that shadowed us once in awhile, looking for classified data)

And now you know

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 01:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ektar
Sorry this may be a totally stupid question, I have asked & didn't get an answer...I'm just a layman here...
Why can't they pump or use gravity to remove the radioactive water into an oil tanker or something
instead of the ocean? Is it too hot or ? Until they have some other way of dealing with it. Or pump it back onto already contaminated land, or recycle for cooling? I know the land would still be releasing into the air but which is worst land or Sea Life food chain?
Thank you & apologies if not worth answering.

Ektar

cost

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 01:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Frenchi

two cranes,... one has been positively identified ...core off center 99.999999999%confirmation information on this thread , by the way breach100% confirmation, also on this thread. love the idea of trying to make the world better on positive thought , gonna take a lot of power for this one

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 01:34 AM
link   
where is the measurement of air born radiation level in the drywell at n.1 dated 9th of April?

It seems to be missing....

Knowing how Tepco has been operating with measurements, my "guesstimate" is that radiation was at least double that of the 8th (double 100 Sv/h)

atmc.jp...

...and yes, I did check the original sources.. the press release has a nice * where the 100 Sv/h reading was...
www.meti.go.jp...
edit on 10-4-2011 by monica86 because: (no reason given)

P.S this is the 100 Sv/h original report
www.meti.go.jp...
edit on 10-4-2011 by monica86 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 01:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by janezjane
Here is an interesting article about plans to move the radioactive water.

From Kyodo News

Here is an article written by the other hand...

Radioactive water disposal delayed

Work to dispose of highly radioactive water at the crippled Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant is not proceeding smoothly as more time is needed for preparations.

www3.nhk.or.jp...

Sunday, April 10, 2011 07:30 +0900 (JST)

Left hand and right hand need to set up a meeting and get on the same page

edit on 10-4-2011 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 01:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by bitbytebit

This morning I was drinking coffee with milk, as I walked out to the car in the rain I saw drops hitting my coffee. for one brief instant I thought about dumping it but I didn't.

Then today I found a site that described a lot of the nuke testing we did in the 50's, there have been TONS of fallout clouds dropping on us, much worse than we have seen with this disaster (talking about the US not Japan). So I am no longer worried about radiation.

If people want to be scared and possibly scare their kids thats up to them, but in my opinion its warrantless. The big problem is spending too much time here, this thread just reinforces the fear. All the talk about radiation levels, speculation on explosions, dwelling on lying to the point where some people see lies in every single statement. Thats more harmful than the radiation in the US.

for some interesting reading and perspective nuke tests in nevada

You want perspective?

There are / were about 12,000 times as many curies in the cooling pool in Fukushima Dai-ichi reactor four as there were in the Hiroshima bomb, and that's just one of many Japanese reactors in trouble. You can imagine the figures for the Mox-using reactor three which has been totally destroyed.

The fuel rods in these pools have been left uncovered, steaming and then burning as they release radiation into the environment in a continuing stream, the likes of which this earth has never seen before.

Spent Fuel at the Fukushima Dai-ichi plant

The Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Fuel Management Issue

US stores spent nuclear fuel rods at 4 times pool capacity

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 01:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by XRaDiiX
reply to post by ALTERNATECH

You do realise the amount of Radiation detected in Milk Etc was lower than the background radiation we receive each day? Fear monger much?

I'd mostly be worried if i was in Japan right now. Not so much if i was in the U.S/ Canada
edit on 9-4-2011 by XRaDiiX because: (no reason given)

Read this thread much child?
This is your world , rich or not that's being tainted, but stupid, thank god is it's own reward.neither condemning or condoning I suggest learning if you wish to live

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 01:55 AM
link   
reply to post by predator0187

They have gone into the exclusion zone of Chernobyl and studied the animals living there, they are actually less prone to genetic mutation, and less prone to abnormalities.

"The mutation rate in these animals is hundreds and probably thousands of times greater than normal," Dr. Baker said.

The Chernobyl accident has, in essence, compressed several thousand years of evolution into a decade, according to Dr. David Hillis, a molecular biologist at the University of Texas who wrote an editorial accompanying the Nature paper.

Source

Despite Mutations, Chernobyl Wildlife Is Thriving

Moller and Mousseau have shown that certain species in the area have a higher rate of genetic abnormalities than normal.

"In Italy around 40 percent of the barn swallows return each year, whereas the annual survival rate is 15 percent or less for Chernobyl," Mousseau said.

Source

The insects had "feelers the shape of sausages; their larvae had divided wings or black growths sticking out of their eyes

source

The people in Ramsar, Iran are exposed to 130 mSv annually year after year. Some people have actually built up radiation resistance

An Iranian study has shown that people in the area have a significantly higher expression of CD69 gene and also a higher incidence of stable and unstable chromosomal aberrations.

source

We still in science have not fully wrapped our heads around radiation, especially smaller amounts

I agree..not enough has been done to study the effects of smaller doses on the human body..both long term and short term..

I just hate the whole world has become one big study group

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 01:58 AM
link   

I'll weigh in or should I say wade in..... I live in Washington State on the west side and last i heard, the debris from the tusunami will hit Hawaii be fore the Cali, Oregon, Washington coast and that will be a year??
We will find out when it hit the islands, you might look to them first.
Personaly I stopped going barefoot on our beach because of the garbage from china and Japan along time ago.
rbrtj out.....

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 02:04 AM
link   
On another note and no offence to our Japanese friends, I'm concerned we are going to have alot less ocean to forage over.
It is going to be war out their on sea.
that is all i have to say, other than the milk truck driver who picks up the bulk milk from the dairy farms turns in a sample of the milk to be tested prior to being off loaded.
I worked in both industries and the timber industry all of my life.

Yeah we a re worried, we always have been.
But when a companies stock goes up over a disater like this all bets are off.

edit on 10-4-2011 by rbrtj because: missed a word or 3

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 02:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by predator0187
why do we think that here it is going to be deadly?

Don't recall anyone here saying 'deadly' in the US, just concerned. We could be LESS concerned if they would give us true details and we could trust them

We still in science have not fully wrapped our heads around radiation, especially smaller amounts. When you compare in the US and Canada with the amount of background radiation vs. The cancer rates, it seems as if a small amount of radiation is actually beneficial. They have gone into the exclusion zone of Chernobyl and studied the animals living there, they are actually less prone to genetic mutation, and less prone to abnormalities.

The people in Ramsar, Iran are exposed to 130 mSv annually year after year. Some people have actually built up radiation resistance.

Yes and some people in Russia also had a high tolerance to radiation. Its called Natural Selection. But has it occurred to you that some people would prefer NOT to find out if they are sensitive to it and will get sick

Have you any data on when cancer started increasing? Was it after we started atomic testing? What about the addition radiation stress added from microwaves in our society? Different frequency, but still radiation... and if you tell me that is no concern, stick your head in a microwave and show me.

Radiation causes damage over the long term... it is accumulative... but you are also forgetting the difference between radiation beamed at you momentarily and consuming PARTICLES of radioactive material that will stay in your system for a long time and replace essential minerals. Might not kill ya, but it WILL eat away at your health... just ask any of the 500,000 liquidators from Chernobyl

Now the Government says a certain level in milk is safe... so what if you drink 3 times what is 'normally safe' and add to that cheese (concentrated milk) chocolate and ice cream?

Point is no one really know what it will do to any particular individual.

No need to panic, but one has to be aware.

Now if what Redneck thinks is true, then the cores will melt deep into the ground and release little more into the jet stream... good news for us... but those corium melts will seep into the ocean for a very long time. bad for Japan and surrounding areas.

And as can be seen by most peoples apathy outside of ATS... as long as it only effects Japan... no worries.

Well last two hours NHK has been showing Chinese and Japanese history documentaries... very little of ANY kind of news, not even Libya... so I guess the situation is under control... time to move on to other things

At this rate in a month or so most people will have forgotten

www.ecolo.org...

I'm not saying this doesn't suck, this is the biggest disaster of our history and the sad thing is it is man made, but, our thoughts need to be with the Japanese people whose government is lying to them.

Pred...

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 02:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by predator0187
A lot of fear going on in this thread about radiation.

There is no cloud seeding over the pacific, the radiation disperses over the amount of space between here and there, that's just plain physics. The plume is traveling 5000 miles. Chernobyl was supposedly worse than what is happening here, I do not believe that, but, 5000 miles away from the plant was minute radiation, why do we think that here it is going to be deadly?

www.ecolo.org...

Pred...

Life is funny, to a certain extent each of us are responsible individuals, and do our best to control our destiny. But it is times like these that we realize there is a much higher power at work that is completely out of our control. Whether it be physics, mother nature, or a Supreme being, whatever the case, we must educate ourselves and learn to appreciate each and every day. Be thankful for what you have.

Each new day brings new challenges, but we as humans, as we evolve we are stronger for it. Having lost three homes, survived Mt Pinatubo, and numerous Super Typhoons in Philippines, Guam and Japan, we come together, support one another, and simply rebuild. Life truly does go on.

Governments hiding behind classified data in the interest of national security, doesn’t stay hidden forever. It’s eventually declassified by Executive Orders by the President of the U.S. If that doesn’t satisfy you, then pick up a Newsweek magazine or Washington Post, most journalist have elected officials that appear as their sources for divulging highly classified information.

Fear of radiation levels in forms of fallout over 5,000 miles away, don’t necessarily seemed justified at this point. I assist veterans in their disability claims with Veterans Affairs, and I have set across the desk from WWII veterans in Operation Crossroads, and other veterans at various experiments at Nevada Test site. None of these radiation claims have been approved, although the Decision Letter doesn’t say so, we know it’s because they lived to a ripe ole age before complications set in. Smoking, useage of herbicides, diesel fuel exhaust, etc.. could all cause similar medical complications. The burden of medical proof is delicate in these cases.

I can honestly say a minesweeper Captain came into my office about 3 years ago with photos taken in the aftermath of Nagasaki that he took three days after the bomb dropped there. He was perfectly healthy and rarely seen a doctor throughout his life time. Yes, there are those that develop complications and die at an early age, but they are the select few.

Sad but true, many will die in Japan based on their daily accumulation levels in close proximity to Fukushima. Others will experience miscarriages, still births, and severe birth defects, but it’s only because their exposure levels will be very much higher than ours over 5,000 miles away. Our thoughts and prayers be with them.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 02:08 AM
link   
reply to post by okiecowboy

That was quite the reply...

Watch a program by horizon called nuclear nightmares and they talk about their finding not being accepted by mainstream scientists, the idea in it's infancy but that how science works...

I was just showing the other side of the story about radiation and why people should not be panicked. People should be worrying about what is this scenario were to take place on American soil, where these facilities were not built as good as the decaying fukushima.

There is two sides to all science, here at ATS we usually look at both sides, and we are focusing on the radiation paranoia. Just offering the other side, with a horizon episode and nuclear physicists to back it up.

Pred...
edit on 10-4-2011 by predator0187 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 02:12 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 02:12 AM
link   

If ya see one of these... no its not a free drum of fuel oil...

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 02:18 AM
link   
Here we go again!

Yahoo UK News

"A mysterious flashing light was captured on video over Japan as yet another earthquake hit the beleaguered country on Thursday, but what was it?"

uk.news.yahoo.com...

I cannot believe they are quoting David Icke!

"And it's goodbye Ruby Tuesday Come home you silly cow
We've baked a cake and your friends are waiting and David Icke says he'd like to show us how
to love you back to life again now" Carter USM

It's just power lines and substations

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 02:27 AM
link   
reply to post by IDBIT

That's one theory, and Silverlok has done a great job of explaining it.

However it's pretty strange that no Japanese authority has yet stated this as fact or shown us the burnt substation.

new topics

top topics

<< 636  637  638    640  641  642 >>

join