It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 633.htm
<< 630  631  632    634  635  636 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon
Cruise ships are avoiding Japanese port of Yokahama costing the port city $100,000 a trip. Restaurants are losing Chinese cooks and customers are not coming... Government set up a website posting radiation levels (didn't catch a url) to control unsubstantiated rumors scaring off tourists and shipping lines
edit on 9-4-2011 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

This is what pisses me off the most.

ITS NOT an "unsubstantiated rumor".

It is verified through historical precedent, 50 years of nuclear science confirms those fears through reams of documentation and analysis.

Tourists are scared because of reality. Not rumor.
The reality is that nuclear disaster is upon us. And Tokyo-Yokohama metro is in a highly precarious situation between a rock and a hard place.

It is prudent and correct to leave the zone and to suspend recreational visits to that zone. It is prudent and correct to suspend the export of goods from that zone to other locations for consumption.

Prudent and CORRECT!

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheRedneck
My profile page should give you at least a list of my posts to this thread...

So does the "posts in thread" button under your avatar

So why the intake to #2 and why the focus on #2? What am I missing?

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Okay some more TEPCO math...

They said... Storage facility was full, hence the seawater dumping...

They said... Dumping 10,000 tons from the facility and 1,500 tons from #5/6

They said... Storage facility holds max 30,000 tons

They said... There is 50,000 tons hot water in #2 that needs to be removed

So you have a 30,000 ton capacity facility, and remove 10,000 tons to make room for 50,000 tons

Ummmm

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

The Effects on the Sea life and the world will last for a long time. Wasn't someone saying something earlier in the thread about some type of chlorine radiation type having a really long half life of like thousands of years?. So for Everyone amount of Radiation they pour into the ocean or is released into the air the radiation just keeps adding up to a more concentrated amount?

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
Prudent and CORRECT!

I agree. Why would any sane person go on a vacation to a spot that has limited services, infrastructure damage with a radiation situation not even barely understood yet? I understand that business and life must go on to a recovery, but there is no solution yet to build upon. Even their nuke agency says it will take months

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

I think you forgot to convert that to metric or something??

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by XRaDiiXSo for Everyone amount of Radiation they pour into the ocean or is released into the air the radiation just keeps adding up to a more concentrated amount?

yeah a steady, continuous release of long half live particles has a cummulative effect. An accident like this is far worse than a nuke bomb. A bomb has one flash and contaminates a certain area, but this is a continuous and ever increasing stream.

The fact that cesium has already made it into the food chain enough to suspend fishing and rice planting is more than enough to scare the pants of ya

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Is there any chance of the planets exploding or creating a massive explosion causing a chain-reaction ?

Haven't some of the Cores melted out of their containment chambers?

What about the Chlorine Type Radiation Particle that has a half life of thousands of years. What about the Plutonium Released

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Anyone spekenzie Deutsch?

Google wont translate this.

German Federal Ministry for the Environment, Nature Conservation and Nuclear Safety
Fukushima Summary of the Radiological Situation (PDF, 2.6 MB)

Curious how it differs from what we get fed.

edit on 4/9/11 by makeitso because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheRedneck
My profile page should give you at least a list of my posts to this thread...

So does the "posts in thread" button under your avatar

So why the intake to #2 and why the focus on #2? What am I missing?

Let's say that there's no way any of the pumping machinery that was once along the waterline is able to work or be brougt to a state that would allow them to function. What's the only thing that will move water then?

Gravity.

Whether that's gravity pulling the water that's continually being pumped (according to Tepco) into what's left of the reactors/ spent fuel pools or the gravity of the moon through tidal action.

Water is continually being pumped in and out of the area every day. The ONLY way to stop the tide is to build a wall. The thing is, consIdering that the bedrock the plant is sitting on is probably closer to a rock pile rather than one enormous slab, there's no way these fences will work other than perhaps a token amount.

It's all cape waving to try and confuse the bull.

What's not bein talked about?

Lots I know, but you'll likely find more in their silences than in their words.
edit on 9-4-2011 by jadedANDcynical because: Typos. I really should have my wife proofread these things first.

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Do you guys know what it's like to explain to your kids that 'drinking milk' is coming to an end?
Do you know what that look is on their face?

Explaining to them that YES , we humans have drank milk for thousands of years, but now it's becoming too polluted slowly but surely, and that we will have to cut it off at least for a few months???

It's a NIGHTMARE. But it's reality and for the safety of my unborn grandchildren in the year 2025, I have no choice in this but to take these actions.

Do you think I wanted this? Do you think I asked for this? You think I like this??
It's the worst thing that ever happened in my whole life.

For those people who think I am crazy and over-reacting, get a grip! This is week 5 now. Fallout reached the US at least 3 weeks ago roughly. The milk production chain generally takes several weeks for milk to reach my shelf from the production point. That means that contaminated milk will start getting on the shelf any time now, if not already.

You think I am crazy ? Go drink up. Chug that milk.

But I am an adult and have responsibility for my children and their future health and our progeny of grand children and so on.

I cannot in clear conscious allow them to drink something I know is becoming rapidly contaminated right before my eyes. Check the EPA studies or the various Universities or other Institutional Organizations studies. It's here folks.

I am only taking the precautions that I know how to take. Trying to minimize their exposure as best as I can.
I was in tears explaining reality to my child and why we need to take precautions due to this.
She told me not to cry that it's ok she will stop drinking it.

But how can I? How can I accept this in any way? 100% UNACCEPTABLE
edit on 9-4-2011 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-4-2011 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by imlite
JAIF earthquake report 18.00hrs April 9

...A worker of a cooperative firm who was wearing full-face mask became sick during cable work conducted at the water-treatment facility. The worker accidently stepped into an open manhole located outside of the building.

www.jaif.or.jp...

"I accidentally ran into a doorknob after accidentally falling down the stairs."

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

I'm with you... in spades, and it doesn't end with food.

I want to go mushroom hunting and fishing this weekend.
My daughter wants a new playstation for her birthday.
Son wants a cell phone for his birthday.
Mother wants a new car soon.
Sister works at Amazon distribution center.
My boss wants to order new computers.
Friends work at factory using Japanese parts.

Where does this radiation end?

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 07:36 PM
link   
I wonder how much of Japan's rice industry will be affected by this disaster.

Several years back (could have been as many as ten years ago) a VERY BIG DEAL was made over Japan finally certifying California grown rice (California is one of the world's largest producers of rice) to be "fit" for importation to, and sale, in Japan.

Rice is "Heart and Soul" in Japan.

If the Japanese can no longer trust the purity of their homegrown commodities, especially Rice, it will be a wicked blow to the very psyche of what it is to be Japanese.

The planting season approaches in Japan.

I wonder if Japan's people are prepared for another "So Sorry" moment brought to them by the helpful folks at TEPCO.

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by windwaker

Oh Magoo! Will you ever learn?

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by JustMike
I mean, who imposed these sudden "restrictions" on rights to broadcast? Are we to think that NHK TV imposed these restrictions on themselves? That would be absurd.
Mike

They did this before... had that 'blackout' for copy right early in this story. I then switched to www.ustream.tv... and they had it running... but there was nothing interesting in the report.. it was some documentary section.

The media is funded by advertising, so the major advertisers can control the media.
Look at the companies involved in nuclear power, and you see a bunch of extremely powerful octopuses.

A family member in advertising has told me a few stories in the last few years of large Australian media outlets being forced to pull stories by their advertisers. Sometimes it works the other way and an advertiser insists a certain story they have put together is aired. This caused big problems a year back when one company wanted a story aired about its rival which, although true, was highly misleading because it only showed a small part of the truth, and this rival company withdrew all advertising until the story was retracted.

If the octopuses with interests in nuclear power have joined forces on the issue of information from Japan, between them they absolutely have control over the mass media, as no-one can stand up to them and survive financially.

As consumers of media, our only importance to large media outlets is in the advertising we let ourselves be exposed to, as their income depends on the advertisers' measurements of advertising exposure. This is what ratings are all about. TV stations have to impress the advertisers with viewer numbers, and advertising rates are calculated on an expected per-capita basis. Your presence in front of your TV is a saleable item.

To this end the media seeks to entertain viewers and lull them into unthinking complacency so they will just obediently sit their and not change channel or, even worse, get up off the couch and go do things. Truth is not part of this, because few people want to hear harsh truths, and telling them is counter-productive to all the media's objectives.

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Aren't you glad you are not one of the people who know and DON'T tell there kids? Can you imagine how it must feel to be one of those cowards?

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by makeitso

I want to go mushroom hunting and fishing this weekend.
My daughter wants a new playstation for her birthday.

A few pages back coincidentally enough, someone (maybe you?) posted a link to a website showing possibly either EPA (or some other similar organization) readouts of testing on various "food chain" products, including soil and grass, and listing any findings they may have recorded during these tests.

And guess what I saw on that readout chart?
Mushrooms.
And guess what?
They were contaminated.

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

Actually Quantum physicists are about as helpful as poets in these situations.

My concern right now is that GE is feeding them bad advice on purpose. If they start to pump that reactive slurry out of the sump wells the whole complexe is going to destabalise, and that would be a toxic spill on a cataclysmic scale.

I think at this point, these reactors need to be thought of as not 6 independant reactions, but one big open exposed reactor. The slurry is the only thing providing any kind of cooling. The russians have been using liquid sodium as a coolant for years in their submarine designs. Good to 800 degrees, then starts to burn, and gives off grey smoke. Those sumps were designed to contain a spill, they did their job, they should leave them alone, and start working on the entombment process. Why pump it out when you have no where to put it. Store it with this mess for god sakes!

I mentioned in another thread, how despite the 1000 degree ambiant of the fuel rods, the thermal transfer at 700 gpm waterflow is too prohibitive for volatilization. What happens with salt water in particular, is a lot of it actually decomposes rather than evaporating, so you get tremendous buildup of ozone, hydrogen and hydroxy gas. The salt cakes up on the exposed metal, dryes, then absorbes a good amount of heat before melting and pooling at the bottom of the reactor room. In the meantime radiant neutron energy is absorbed into the salt forming detectable chlorine 38 with a halflife of I believe 6 or 60 hours something like that.

I think we are all in agreement that this whole complexe needs to no longer be. I still think straight concrete will just make it worse, but I am working with 60 year old designs and bargraphs drawn on the back of cocktail napkins.

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   
news.xinhuanet.com...
The circle of death speeds up. Food chain has another weak link.

new topics

top topics

<< 630  631  632    634  635  636 >>

join