It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 609.htm
<< 606  607  608    610  611  612 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 02:50 AM
link   
I think he was talking about the big ball of white/blue earlier that appeared during the 7.4 eq being a plasma ball. I searched for some info about plasma ball, but only got related things about fusion?

The only thing i can think of what he is talking about is from this DFO poster on GLP about nuking the plant to stop the runaway fission:

Im pretty up to speed on the reality of the situation, and was active in the referenced thread.

On the notion of this being an infinite thing or a virus, it is really neither. Just a predictable fission process.

The Soviets designed a doomsday weapon, a weapon designed to self propagate rare earth metals, split them up to continue the neutron propagation, and destroy the planet, whether any of them were still alive or not. I encourage everyone to google this doomsday device. It was quite real. Some say it still is..

The SALT treaty obligated both the US and the USSR to destroy many weapons, and later the US offered to buy the weapons grade material, enforce its use as civilian fuel. MOX isnt always just as its described. Some of it had some different mixtures of isotopes, is not 95% uranium dioxide and 5% plutonium. For obvious reasons Im not going to get into the ratios and materials, but I will tell you this enriched MOX is great at making other isotopes propagate neutrons, very desirable to breed yet more fuel, easily propagate weapons grade material without the need for very expensive centrifuges.

This is what we have in #3. It is conceivable, but not too likely it could run away, and react til it ran out of a pretty common set of elements in Earths crust. It would be doomsday.

Its much like what they didnt tell you at Chernobyl. After the initial explosion, and fire, the core was still fissioning, and unlike in Japan, where this cant happen, it threatened to explode, as in atomic explosion. A crew took a T-72 tank and drove it right thru the reactor core to disperse the core to avoid criticality. This cant be done in Japan, as the cores are in very robust containment structures, far too strong for a tank to break thru. Chernobyl had no such containment.

Lots of talk about nuking the place. This would be a huge disaster, and release a large amount of radionuclides into the atmosphere, where they would setlle out all over the northern hemisphere. The only way this is indicated is if #3 goes critical, starts steady fissioning, and maintains it. The point is to disperse the atoms in the core away from each other, stop the reaction at all costs..

Boron will stop the reaction, and has been employed extensively, especially at the spent fuel rods, in most of that water you have seen sprayed. At this point the temps are far too high to put boron in aqueous solution inside the containment vessels, as the steam explosion would blow them sky high. Boron pellets is another option, and will stop the reaction dead, but how to get them into the core, where its too hot in both temp and rads for either humans or robots to work is the problem.

They are gonna melt til they cool, and its gonna take weeks, or months. Hopefully they will do it on their own, with little intervention, and not hit the water table, where again, boom, radionuclides are injected strongly into the air.

No one really knows how it will play, but Obomba is closely monitoring the situation..

Originally posted by AlphaExray
reply to post by Aeons

Tick Tock. That my friends was a plasma ball. What you are seeing, is all part of the reactors decay cycle. We discussed it here pages ago, when it was just wee little confined "neutron beams".

No use pouring the concrete now, that will just make things worse. Only a few options left, and two maybe three weeks tops before this goes very sour. That's what happens when you neglect your science. You get monsters like Eastlund and monstrosities like Fukashima.

Maybe the Russians will be able to get this under control.

For the record, for all those who are actually concerned for their safety, if there is a radiation scare in your part of the world, be calm. Your eyes are not going to fall out of your head. Radioactive fallout is a storm like any other, it should be respected, and there are simple things you can do to protect yourself. You will be exposed, no matter what you do, but your body is a lot tougher than you think.

Just try to stay indoors, but not in the basement. Infact, avoid the basement like the plague. Use lots of water, wash often, the house, the car, yourself. Moving water is your best friend, using water keeps it moving through city systems, and there is no shortage of water this year. Stagnant water basins, pools etc should be avoided.

Don't take Iodide pills, you won’t know if they are legit or counterfeit, and ether way, they are fairly toxic to your liver, and will only protect you from one of a myriad of radioactive isotopes that come from these types of events. You need to keep yourself as healthy as possible. Take vitamins, drink lots of fluids, eat reasonable amounts of low residue protein like eggs. If you live within proximity of a body of water contaminated with radioactive Iodine, small amounts of sea Urchin can supply the body with just as much protection as the pills. Small amounts!!

Very small amounts of 24k gold, less than 10mg/person, when ground to a fine powder, mixed into a bread roll, and consumed with wine can dramatically improve your chances of survival. If you have too much, or it contains alloys like silver nickel lead etc, it is quite toxic for the body. The bread acts to increase the exposure time of the gold to the acids in the stomach. Gold is very very hard to decompose chemically (one of its' finer qualities) so the longer it sits in acid, the more likely some small amounts will enter the blood stream as gold ions. These ions lodge in the liver, where they will stay for the next five to seven years (one of the reasons why gold is toxic). Gold has a wonderful way of deflecting gamma particles, and helps in stabilizing blood plasma electrostacticaly.

Standard breather masks work on a hepa Micronic filtration basis, which traps radioactive material close to your face, and do not filter out plutonium dust which is in a submicronic state. If you must wear a breather, one with positive ventilation, like those used for sandblast technicians would be better. The best cure is to keep yourself clean, use a hospital mask if you have them, and dispose of it away from your living space. Relax on electronic devices, especially burst transmitting devices. Apparently they increase an individual’s rate of exposure significantly.

Good luck!

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 02:56 AM
link   
reply to post by hack2011

Yeah. That glowing ball of light during yesterday's earthquake didn't seem natural at all. It reminded me of the nuclear weapon that the Predator monster set off at the end of Predator.

It totally looked like an explosion of some sort.

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 02:59 AM
link   
Havent been on this thread for awhile. Just checked Kyodo and saw these, not sure if they were posted yet.

english.kyodonews.jp...

NEWS ADVISORY: Gov't to decide whether to change evacuation zone within few days: Edano (16

Not sure why they would wait a few days. Why wait?

Radioactive water spilled at Onagawa nuclear plant in Miyagi

Radioactive water spilled from pools holding spent nuclear fuel rods at the Onagawa power plant in Miyagi Prefecture following the strong earthquake late Thursday, the nuclear safety agency said Friday.

While the spent fuel pools at the Onagawa plant and the Higashidori nuclear power station in Aomori Prefecture, both operated by Tohoku Electric Power Co., lost their cooling functions for 20 to 80 minutes after the quake, the temperature hardly rose, the Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency said.

The above 2 seem to be pretty much under control at the moment.

A small amount of contaminated water spilled on the floor was observed inside the buildings at all three reactors at the Onagawa plant, which has suspended operations since the mega earthquake and tsunami last month, according to the agency.
In all, water spilled or leaked at eight sections of the plant as a result of the 11:32 p.m. quake, according to Tohoku Electric.

As much as 3.8 liters of water leaked at one of them, with the highest level of a radioactive isotope -- 5,410 bequerels per kilogram -- found in the spilled water on the floor beside a spent fuel pool in the building housing the No. 1 reactor.

I dont know how bad 5,410 bequerels per kg is, but I dont think any escaped the building.

The Onagawa nuclear plant lost three of its four external power connections but one of them was restored on Friday morning, with its cooling system for the spent nuclear fuel pools temporarily stopped.

The article said the temperature barley rose after the spill. If what the article is saying is true, I would doubt there would be an explosion thats similar to Fukushima at these reactors.

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 03:10 AM
link   
omg holy #...the plasma ball that showed up earlier with blue/light during the 7.4 EQ was the aftermath of a nuclear explosion!!!!!!!!!

"A nuclear explosion is accompanied by two principal types of ... By this time, the plasma ball from a one-megaton bomb is 1200 miles across. ...

books.google.com... &ei=CsKeTeuzDOnniALluJGOAw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=8&ved=0CFMQ6AEwBw#v=onepage&q=plasma%20ball%20nuclear&f=false

if link doesnt work search plasma ball nuclear with this on the link:
New Scientist - May 17, 1962 - Google Books Result

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 03:15 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Centrifuges are under the covers. What type they are is a mystery for now. I kind of wonder if TEPCO scrapped the plan on using fresh water all the time. They might have decided to use a different type Centrifuge to remove salt from water ( Sea Water) ( ie not for drinking water but just remove the salt and sand) they do make Centrifuges like that. Maybe TEPCO might be doing a combination of both fresh water and sea water-Centrifuge process. This might explain the missing or unidentified fresh water barge if there is any at all. Thus they might be opting to use sea water filtered though the Centrifuges.

This theory of what TEPCO might be doing is long shot of mine , but seems logical, because you would need allot of barges for fresh water and the removal of the contaminated water. The barges that arrived could be for removal of contaminated water. The water to cool will still come from the sea using the sea water-centrifuge process. then they are going to dump the contaminated water at sea. ( I pray they don't dump at sea ) This seems like what TEPCO is doing according to the photos. some , but not all of the Centrifuges might just be for water removal, but not all of them.

Here are some models , maybe if someone has the time to go though the list maybe a match can be found from the shape of the cover over the centrifuges on the barge and match to the list of centrifuges photos

continuous operating centrifuges

This looks close

The one I linked above separates solids from liquids, salt mud, etc. kind looks like the shape of the one under the tarp.

Tepco will have to remove the mud that came with the Tsunami in both removal and cooling filling process.

edit on 8-4-2011 by SJE98 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 03:57 AM
link   
Don't know if this has been posted, haven't seen it in the last half dozen pages.

From Safe Distance, U.S.-Japanese Team Draws Up Plan to Demolish Reactors

Already, dozens of engineers from Toshiba, which helped build four of the Fukushima Daiichi reactors, have been joined by experts from the United States to prepare for the decommissioning work, a job so big that the planning needs to start even now, in parallel with the efforts to contain the crisis. The team includes experts from Westinghouse, whose majority owner is Toshiba; the Shaw Power Group, a civil engineering firm; and the Babcock & Wilcox Company, an energy technology and services company, one of whose specialties is the disposal of hazardous materials.

The New York Times

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 03:58 AM
link   
I got a problem with the explanation of the explosion that occurred during the 7.1 quake yesterday. Especially the size of it. To emphasize this I drew some lines to get more perspective. The vertical one gives a better view of the distance which is 3 to 7 miles. In the horizon you see a mountain range of hills ranging from 600 feet up to one mile.The explosion occurs BEHIND these hills.
I know it's guessing but I don't think I'm far of.

So if the hills are 600 feet high, how large is the explosion?
And if they are one mile high?

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 04:03 AM
link   
Also, hardware is on its way.

Massive pumps departing U.S. for Japan nuclear plant

Two of the world's largest concrete pumps will depart the United States later this week as part of the effort to resolve the crisis at Japan's Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant, officials said. Each pump weighs 190,000 pounds and has a boom reach of over 227 feet, and can pump water and concrete at massive rates. They will be loaded aboard enormous Russian cargo jets Friday.

CNN

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 05:19 AM
link   
Hello /all. Long time listener, 1st time caller. This is a little something,

earthquake.usgs.gov...
"The April 7, 2011 earthquake near the east coast of Honshu, Japan occurred as a result of thrust/reverse faulting on or near the subduction zone plate boundary between the Pacific and North America plates. At the latitude of this earthquake, Pacific plate moves approximately westwards with respect to the North America plate at a rate of 83 mm/yr, and begins its westward descent beneath Japan at the Japan Trench. Note that some authors divide this region into several microplates that together define the relative motions between the larger Pacific, North America and Eurasia plates; these include the Okhotsk and Amur microplates that are respectively part of North America and Eurasia.
The epicenter and focal-depth of the April 7 earthquake are consistent with the event having occurred very close to the main interface thrust-fault of the subduction zone plate boundary. Preliminary focal-mechanisms, however, imply slip on a fault with steeper dip than that of the main interface thrust-fault, which may imply an intraplate source is more likely.
This earthquake can be considered an aftershock of the March 11, 2011 Mw 9.0 Tohoku earthquake. The aftershock sequence of that event has been ongoing since March 11, and has included 58 earthquakes of M 6 or greater up until April 7 2011, two of which were greater than M 7 (M7.7 and M7.9, both on March 11). Over the two days preceding the March 11 earthquake, a series of large foreshocks had occurred, beginning on March 9th with a M 7.2 event approximately 40 km from the epicenter of the March 11 earthquake, and continuing with another three earthquakes greater than M 6 on the same day. Prior to March 9 2011, the Japan Trench subduction zone had hosted nine events of magnitude 7 or greater since 1973. See the tectonic summary of the March 11 event for more details of the historic seismicity in this region"

Notice they only had nine "7's or better" since 1973. It's noted that they basically had 4 of these puppies in the same day, march 9th, two days be4 the big1. I find it a tad incriminating that less than 2days later these reactors were "runnin'"and they were go see, there's ppl there.
www.goandroam.com...:city
ibaraki 120kms south of fukushima radiation levels "possibly compromised, I don't know, saw 2500nGy on it after reac 3 explosion some time ago"
www.houshasen-pref-ibaraki.jp...
Sorry for the psychosis, but I have literally been driven mad repeatedly.
edit on 8-4-2011 by ALTERNATECH because: wingnut

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 05:38 AM
link   
Big crane again towering over reactor 1-4 complex today:

(bit enhanced by averaging; raw image)

Anyone has seen this reported? What is it doing there?

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 06:04 AM
link   
Just wanted to report that I finally received my Terra professional model geiger counter today. We had some rain this morning. Was outside today, testing the air, soil, rain puddles, and moss on and off. I detected no abnormal radiation readings whatsoever. Not even the slightest. Everything at normal background levels. Also did close-up surface tests on vegetables and fish in the supermarket while shopping (very discreetly!). Scanned vegetables from Saitama, Tochigi, etc. Scanned various unwrapped fish. Again, no abnormal readings at all. I know doing testing this way on food is not the same as a chemical analysis, but I figure it's better than nothing. Heck, I even did the wet paper towel on the dirty car wipe test. Once again, no abnormal readings. All of these results actually kind of surprised me, as I was expecting at least some higher-than-normal readings.

I am located on the northern island of Hokkaido. Some parts of Japan have been spared from detectable levels of radioactive fallout so far. Just a bit of good news I wanted to share with everyone.

I do expect higher readings sometimes as the wind changes directions. Will continue to do testing regularly, and will report any higher-than-normal readings.
edit on 8-4-2011 by MedievalGhost because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 06:12 AM
link   
reply to post by MedievalGhost

How do you know they're not shipping out "doctored" units that won't register anything other than faked low levels of contamination ?
I'm just throwing that into the thought pool

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 06:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by yellowbeard

How do you know they're not shipping out "doctored" units that won't register anything other than faked low levels of contamination ?
I'm just throwing that into the thought pool

I bought it directly from a certified Ukrainian distributor. I trust they didn't tamper with it.

Just to be sure, I suppose I could take a field trip to Fukushima to test it.

NOT.

edit on 8-4-2011 by MedievalGhost because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 06:20 AM
link   

You could test the unit against a sample reference dose. Those modern units could probably even pick up the slight radiation from Luminous watches.

I gave you a star for bringing some good solid objective observations to the discussion.

Thanks!

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 06:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bordon81

You could test the unit against a sample reference dose. Those modern units could probably even pick up the slight radiation from Luminous watches.

I gave you a star for bringing some good solid objective observations to the discussion.

Thanks!

Thank you for the star!

I just wanted people here to know that not all of Japan is a radioactive wasteland... at least not yet.

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 06:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Regenstorm
I got a problem with the explanation of the explosion that occurred during the 7.1 quake yesterday. Especially the size of it. To emphasize this I drew some lines to get more perspective. The vertical one gives a better view of the distance which is 3 to 7 miles. In the horizon you see a mountain range of hills ranging from 600 feet up to one mile.The explosion occurs BEHIND these hills.
I know it's guessing but I don't think I'm far of.

So if the hills are 600 feet high, how large is the explosion?
And if they are one mile high?

Now that you mentioned it,it really looks like its behind a Mountain...

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 06:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Regenstorm

During most professional video camera operations we are usually running at maximum exposure, where the image sensor is as optimally saturated as possible for least noise. Before this sensor, the light passes through an adjustable iris called an apeture, which controls the amount of light coming in, to dial in the overall picture exposure.
When a bright event like the likely electrical explosion occurs, you'll often get a larger 'explosion patch' than is actually there - as the apeture is usually locked at a optimal level for streetlights in a static shot, not brief, bright explosions. Even autogated millitary night vision gear and mil cameras have a hard time with this. For example you can see the bright flash envelopes nearly the entire frame, however the explosion itself is quite small. To test this yourself if you have a camera, take it to a dark room or outside at night, where it can very faintly see a few very dim lights or objects and strike a lighter/match or similar in front of it - it'll be larger than it appears in real life on camera, whilst it adjusts. Under the right conditions it will produce the exact same 'near perfect circle phenomena' extending beyond the outside of the flame. This accounts for the larger than life explosion - it is merely sensor saturation. Strobe lights and other stage lighting effects (especially lasers) exhibit the same effect. If you absolutely are not satisfied with my explaination I can capture, convert and upload video of this occuring with a lighter, high powered strobes and even high powered lasers to illustrate my point further.

As I mentioned in a prior post, the unusually blue colour content of the explosion (from the properly white balanced camera) is from high amounts of UV from arcing occuring, another poster further confirmed from their arc welding experience that this is the case also, as they need UV shielding for these exposure levels. Same reason you can look at the sun through a welders mask (although I'm not condoning it!).

Just to give you a further idea of the energy flowing through these substations, this is what occurs when an arc
is not extinguished properly, air heats up and lifts the arc, causing it to grow. Think about how bright that arc is to be seen during the day, listen to it echo and imagine what it'd look like at night. Serious energy involved in these contraptions. This arc is more greeny than blue likely due to camera white balance being out.

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 06:41 AM
link   
If an explosion with that kind of flashlight occurred in any other country we would have seen reports from the place where the explosion occured and known exactly what caused it by now.
Has any journalist in japan gone to the source of the light and did they show for certain what blew
Up?
If not. Thats very odd!!

edit on 8-4-2011 by monica86 because: (no reason given)

edit on 8-4-2011 by monica86 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 06:48 AM
link   
reply to post by windwaker

Yes it was an explosion, the sort where there is a massive amount of electrical energy in a short circuit. All the bluey white flashes were electrical, either failures or air circuit breakers operating. The "plasma ball" comment is accurate, like St Elmo's fire or ball lightning it is air ionized.
The big flash was interesting and no doubt very very expensive. I thought it looked like a loaded generator failing from sudden disconnection of load followed by internal short circuiting, but the sleuths on here did the intel on the direction and found a substation. A substation has many different components, and it is possible a main incoming stepdown transformer let go in a big way, but that (assuming oil cooling) would result in a fire which is yellow orange with lots of thick black smoke. (Such a transformer is handling very high voltages and currents, and is not to be confused with the many pole mounted auto transformers found in rural areas of USA (probably Japan too) which brown out easily and give great local light shows). If you look at the video of the big flash plasma ball which lasts for about 8 seconds watch just to the right of it, one much smaller ball, then later on further right but still closeby another flash and what looked like a lightning bolt (big arc). That's other components of the high voltage distribution system failing, and their proximity to the big one made me think of transformers and switchgear associated with a generator, but again maybe substation components, capacitor banks, switchgear, kvar compensators, etc.

The lack of and quality of information coming out of Japan is not helping. A "house fire" explanation for the big flash, was that a generator house, a transformer house, or a brick s*** house?

Re what is on the barge, those are not nuclear casks, nor centrifuges imho, and I don't think diesel generators but items left and right are foot/bed mounting rotating machines like pumps or mechanical drives. I see no manifolds, exhausts, tanks, and they are short and stubby with possibly pipe flanges. Also no lifting eyes sticking up, unusual. The centre item I don't know. They are are not very big, for size compare with the grease pot in the left bottom and the gate valve handle right side. Any more photos?

The US military in there is something I find reassuring, their NBC training and capabilities are second to none.
TEPCO on the other hand....words fail me!

Lets hope for no more quakes.

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 06:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Regenstorm

I just came to post these strange explosions, quickly went through last threads and I can see it is something unexplainable, am I right?

Really out-of-this-world and cinematic, if one asked me. It really looks like something straight out of sf movie.

And I must add... scary indeed.

new topics

top topics

<< 606  607  608    610  611  612 >>

join