It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 599.htm
<< 596  597  598    600  601  602 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wertwog

Originally posted by SDoradus
reply to post by brocktoon

THIS is the point of nuclear power, releasing mater from the bonds of time. What do you think the Higgs boson quest is about? The god particle? It's about finding the secret to turning mater into anti-mater and limitless energy ...

--
edit -- and you were afraid that they were trying to make little black holes

edit on 7-4-2011 by SDoradus because: any you were afraid then? Are you more afraid now?

It seems to me humans have never fully grasped the idea of not touching a hot stove. Nuclear power is a sexy siren beckoning a super horny guy, chocolate cake to a starving diabetic, it's the CRYSTAL METH of energy solutions. It makes you feel good for a while until it wrecks your life and kills you.

Don't even get me started on the anti-matter experiments, let me die of old age before "poof... there goes planet earth".

edit on 7-4-2011 by Wertwog because: spelling mistake

And if our little corner of cosmos did go poof? It wouldn't even be 1/100th the size of a supernova.

And yes I agree, Humans have always had a hard time not eating the apple. It's kind of the defining attribute of humanity that we will taste the forbidden fruit.
edit on 7-4-2011 by SDoradus because: apple forbidden by God

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by IDBIT

Originally posted by Michelle129th
Is the tepco webcam messed up for anyone else? It's still sitting at 19:00:59 for me...I could've sworn that was what time it was at several hours ago. Wouldn't that mean 7pm was the last update, when it's now 4:28 am there? Or is it just screwy on my end?

Michelle

I thought the same thing, the camera shows the same pic between 7.00pm & 5.00am.

You can view all the latest pics here: -

pointscope01.jp...

It only takes 2 pics a night. One just after dusk, and one just before dawn.
During the day its hourly.

I figured that out going thru them all from the begining, picking out all the night ones, so I could put a slideshow together to look at the reactor glowing. They are glowing. I'll post the slideshow tomorrow when I finish it.

BTW, that link only goes back to 3-29 there are more than that.
edit on 4/7/11 by makeitso because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Procharmo

Does anyone know if Polonium 210 would have been in the list of emitted isotopes from cores or spent fuel?

Yes it's in the decay tree of uranium. Look for a web document called 'Radiation and Life' Some of them contain an illustrated decay tree for U238.

Thanks I found it here. Source

Source

Q: How lethal can the polonium-210 be when compared to other radioactive substances?

This is a difficult question. It depends on the specific activity, i.e, radioactivity per amount of mass. Polonium-210 has 1.66 Exp14 decays per gram in one second (Bequerel per gram, Bq/g), plutonium-239 has 2.23Exp9 decays per gram in one second.

If we assume that the lethal dose only stems from the radioactivity and not from the toxicity of the metal, polonium-210 would be about 75,000 times more lethal than plutonium-239.

Question: How easy (or difficult, rather) is it to acquire this substance? Does every country have experiments or industrial uses for polonium-210 or is it restricted to a few places? Answer: It is a controlled substance governed by the laws of individual countries. In the U.S.A., any radioactive substance can only be purchased by federal and state licensed companies. Not every country has the technology to produce polonium-210. In fact, there are relatively few countries where it can be produced. Russia has all the requirements to produce this material.

edit on 7-4-2011 by Procharmo because: Additional info

Ok so Po-210 is 75,000 times more lethal than Pu-239. How much Po-210 is in the air when tons of spent fuel and reactor core is blown up 500m into the sky?

I'm asking this question because the Russian secret service chose Po-210 over Pu-239 to poison a journalist (Alexander Litvinenko) who wrote an article calling Putin a paedophile!

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   
links.mailing.greenpeace.org...
Here is a link to the Green peace radiation team that was just sent to my inbox.
As a member of the organization they keep me informed. Thought I would share.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   

reply to post by SDoradus

From your source:

The size of the annual body count — conservatively put at 4,700 birds — is unique to this sprawling, 50-square-mile site in the Diablo Mountains between San Francisco and the agricultural Central Valley because it spans an international migratory bird route regulated by the federal government. The low mountains are home to the world's highest density of nesting golden eagles.

That sucks, but is not "millions".

Also, wind turbines are being developed to be "bird safe". Vertical axis turbines and other designs are now being designed and implemented. In other areas they have changed the blade designs and rotation. The green energy alternatives are new, give them the money and subsidies nuke has gotten and you'll see improvements.

Vertical axis wind turbines
Bird safe wind project
Bird safe wind turbine

But that argument aside. Are you really suggesting that we should build nuke plants instead of renewables including wind because wind kills some birds? No, I think you're trying the DD&D's. Deny, deflect and disinfo. The same tactics used by the nuke industry everywhere.

----

I neither deny, deflect, or spread disinformation. I frankly despise GE for their almost-criminal links to our government and for their manipulation of the press, which is a wholly owned subsidiary of GE.

GE BENEFITS from the Windmill hype. THEY MAKE the darn things by the thousands and get government subsidies for doing so.

Nuke plants are renewable. The plutonium fuel cycle is the future. MOX is the future. But you have to burn it in nuclear plants that we have not yet constructed. Stuffing reactor three with the stuff is clearly (at least in hind site) nuclear malpractice.

But hey we are all captain hind site here;

Deaths per Tera Watt Hour

Believe it or not, even with the death's resulting from this nuclear accident Nuclear will still be safer than wind energy.

edit on 7-4-2011 by SDoradus because: something is wrong with the quote tags ... sigh

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   

reply to post by Regenstorm

Thanks. I'd call it Fukishima for Dummies! Lots of good info that we already learned on this thread. They even used the same images........!

Did she read our thread?

I'm still watching it.

She totally dismissed the reactor 3 explosion.

She totally downplayed the Plutonium and how it got to the ground via the air and what happens on inhalation.

This is a nuclear industry PR video......

She did give me a few bits of information I didn't have before. But, she was giving the standard lecture on what should happen to these reactors when an accident occurs.

She missed out all the additional problems that are being revealed through various sources and she does say she gets her information mainly from the Tepco press releases. A normal sheepal woman - the problem is there are many like her in all industries.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   
NHK reporting live "reactor1 had only 45cm of water above rods at 21:30 11/03/11"

Also showing footage after 2nd quake. No steam or flashes! Phew!

They say the damage from 1st quake may have been added to by 2nd quake. They are saying "they might find new issues."

I'll try and catch the rest next time round.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   

And Windmills pollute the environment killing millions of birds and creating a deafening whine.
edit on 7-4-2011 by SDoradus because: Windmills can't catch up.

I don't know what's wrong with the windmills you're familiar with, but I live in Prince Edward Island, Canada. Here, 22% of our province's electricity comes from 164 MW of wind power generated by 9 turbine farms on the Island. I've visited some of the wind farms myself, and have never experienced a "deafening whine".

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by rbrtj
links.mailing.greenpeace.org...
Here is a link to the Green peace radiation team that was just sent to my inbox.
As a member of the organization they keep me informed. Thought I would share.

www.greenpeace.org...
Field team finds high levels of contamination outside of Fukushima evacuation zone
Our radiation monitoring teams have discovered high levels of contamination in crops grown on the outskirts of Minamisoma city in Japan. The data was collected from the gardens of Minamisoma city residents, and registered well over...www.greenpeace.org...
Are we having fun yet?

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   

reply to post by SDoradus

Nuke plants are renewable. The plutonium fuel cycle is the future. MOX is the future. But you have to burn it in nuclear plants that we have not yet constructed. Stuffing reactor three with the stuff is clearly (at least in hind site) nuclear malpractice.

But hey we are all captain hind site here;

Deaths per Tera Watt Hour

Believe it or not, even with the death's resulting from this nuclear accident Nuclear will still be safer than wind energy.

edit on 7-4-2011 by SDoradus because: something is wrong with the quote tags ... sigh

Nuke plants need uranium, a non-renewable resource.

World shortage of uranium looming

Your source for the Deaths per Tera Watt Hour mostly accounts deaths in mines and installion of wind turbines is dubious at best, bad science at worst. The report is trying to correlate random rooftop accidents and electrocutions and pulling various statistics that might not even be related to wind or PV installations, plus only attributing 50 deaths to Chernobyl. I would say this report is highly biased in favour of the nuclear industry and is just plain bad analysis. Even the WHO attributes 4,000 deaths, Greenpeace insists it is more like 200,000, and could be even higher.

It's ridiculous to assert wind and solar are more dangerous than nuclear. I'm done with this debate.

Cherynobly deaths underreported

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Just been watching NBC Nightly on Sky and Lucy Jones a seismologist said that on average we can expect to see an aftershock sequence for a magnitude 9 to last for a decade or two. Sounds like there's not going to be much let up.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Wertwog

"At least 500,000 people - perhaps more - have already died out of the 2 million people who were officially classed as victims of Chernobyl in Ukraine," said Nikolai Omelyanets, deputy head of the National Commission for Radiation Protection in Ukraine. "[Studies show] that 34,499 people who took part in the clean-up of Chernobyl have died in the years since the catastrophe. The deaths of these people from cancers was nearly three times as high as in the rest of the population.
Numbers don't lie governments do.....
We need tranperancy and watchdogs like us on each one of their asses....24/7/365
Keep up the research and bring home the facts and statistics

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   

I'm asking this question because the Russian secret service chose Po-210 over Pu-239 to poison a journalist (Alexander Litvinenko) who wrote an article calling Putin a paedophile!

Don't mess with the KGB, and Putin is God in the KGB... He is also a pedophile God who does not like the truth being made public... This God has the power to taketh life away at any moment he chooses.

Any victims of sexual abuse had better remain silent, or they will end up sick and die like this man.

I wonder how many unconfirmed Po-210 deaths there have been in Russia?

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Does anyone know if Polonium 210 would have been in the list of emitted isotopes from cores or spent fuel?

Yes it's in the decay tree of uranium. Look for a web document called 'Radiation and Life' Some of them contain an illustrated decay tree for U238.

Thanks I found it here. Source

Source

Q: How lethal can the polonium-210 be when compared to other radioactive substances?

This is a difficult question. It depends on the specific activity, i.e, radioactivity per amount of mass. Polonium-210 has 1.66 Exp14 decays per gram in one second (Bequerel per gram, Bq/g), plutonium-239 has 2.23Exp9 decays per gram in one second.

If we assume that the lethal dose only stems from the radioactivity and not from the toxicity of the metal, polonium-210 would be about 75,000 times more lethal than plutonium-239.

Question: How easy (or difficult, rather) is it to acquire this substance? Does every country have experiments or industrial uses for polonium-210 or is it restricted to a few places? Answer: It is a controlled substance governed by the laws of individual countries. In the U.S.A., any radioactive substance can only be purchased by federal and state licensed companies. Not every country has the technology to produce polonium-210. In fact, there are relatively few countries where it can be produced. Russia has all the requirements to produce this material.

Ok so Po-210 is 75,000 times more lethal than Pu-239. How much Po-210 is in the air when tons of spent fuel and reactor core is blown up 500m into the sky?

www.nucleonica.net...

Polonium-210 (Po-210) is a naturally occurring radioactive material. Although it decays to stable lead-206, it is constantly being produced in nature from the decay of uranium-238 – the main component of uranium in the earth. Due to this “equilibrium”, the concentration of Po-210 in nature is approximately 75 µg of Po-210 for every ton of uranium-238.

So if we look at the above data and add the info below.

Source

By mass, polonium-210 is around 250,000 times more toxic than hydrogen cyanide (the actual LD50 for 210Po is about 1 microgram for an 80 kg person (see below) compared with about 250 milligrams for hydrogen cyanide[35])

The committed effective dose equivalent 210Po is 0.51 µSv/Bq if ingested, and 2.5 µSv/Bq if inhaled.[37] Since 210Po has an activity of 166 TBq per gram (4,500 Ci/g)[37] (1 gram produces 166×1012 decays per second), a fatal 4.5 Sv (J/kg) dose can be caused by ingesting 8.8 MBq (238 microcuries, µCi), about 50 nanograms (ng), or inhaling 1.8 MBq (48 µCi), about 10 ng.

One gram of 210Po could thus in theory poison 20 million people of whom 10 million would die.

The actual toxicity of 210Po is lower than these estimates, because radiation exposure that is spread out over several weeks (the biological half-life of polonium in humans is 30 to 50 days[38]) is somewhat less damaging than an instantaneous dose.

It has been estimated that a median lethal dose of 210Po is 0.015 GBq (0.4 mCi), or 0.089 micrograms, still an extremely small amount.

Pu-239 is bad when a few Kgs of U-235 or MOX has been brunt or exploded into the atmosphere. However when we factor many tons of U-235 and many Kg's of Pu-239 have been burnt then only a small amount of Po-210 is present in the atmosphere.

Phew! That is unless my sources/deductions are wrong!!!!

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by pattonisit

some reactors produce plutonium as a byproduct where as the mox #3 reactor USES plutonium as a fuel and is there any more information on how there reactors work as i think each country has a diffrent method of doing such things and diffrent types of reactors produce difrent byproducts or create diffrent chemicals or elements depending on how there reactor functions and controls the nutron reactions and whatnot.....if there talking about not knowing wich reactor is putting out plutonium we might have just uncovered there secret nuke program....

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kennit

And Windmills pollute the environment killing millions of birds and creating a deafening whine.
edit on 7-4-2011 by SDoradus because: Windmills can't catch up.

I don't know what's wrong with the windmills you're familiar with, but I live in Prince Edward Island, Canada. Here, 22% of our province's electricity comes from 164 MW of wind power generated by 9 turbine farms on the Island. I've visited some of the wind farms myself, and have never experienced a "deafening whine".

Excellent. I'm glad they are working on Prince Edward Island. 164 mega watts is nothing to sneeze at. When do you think that you will get 100% of your power from wind? How many wind turbines will there have to be on the island when you reach 100% of you power? How many wind turbines are there now?

Never mind I see that this is the rating of the wind power NOT the actual power produced by them.
So saying you get 22% of your power from wind is optimistic at best.

Source

I counted them (the windmills on PEI) and you have 90 windmills on PEI with a potential output of 166.56 MW hours.

If that is 22% of your total power requirements you will need 319 additional windmills to achieve energy 'Independence' (at an average of 1.8506 MW per windmill).

This will give you a total potential production of 757 MW hours.

My math;
90 windmills at 166.56 MW = 1.85 MW hours per windmill
if 22% of power = 156 MW then total MW required = 757.1
757 - 166 = 590.53 remaining MW
590.53 MW / MW per windmill = 319 windmills required

Lets see at roughly 3.5 Million to install a windmill that will cost PEI and you ouch! $1.117 billion additional dollars. (With 583 million spent already.)

Did you pay for that already? Or did you borrow the money from China (and Japan) like we do?

edit on 7-4-2011 by SDoradus because: Be clear dang it!

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by MedievalGhost
TEPCO: Nitrogen injection going well

The operator of the crippled Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant says it continues to inject nitrogen gas into the containment vessel of the No.1 reactor without problems. The nitrogen gas is being used to prevent a hydrogen blast at the reactor.

The Tokyo Electric Power Company, or TEPCO, says that as of 6 AM Thursday pressure inside the containment vessel of the No.1 reactor had risen only slightly and that this indicates the operation is going well. The gas injection began at 1:30 AM Thursday.

TEPCO says it plans to continue the injection for about 6 days and will also consider taking similar measures at the No. 2 and No. 3 reactors.

link

No explosions... yet.

(let's do the time warp again....)

that is until the ammonium does not condense back to fluid fast enough . given the volumne and highly rough heat estimates a new 'hiccup' will appear before Saturday (US time)

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRemedial

i brought up liquid nitrogen and dry ice and whatnot like a few days into this and ill search for exactly what was told to me by those far wiser in such matters then my self but they dumbed it down for me basicly really hot(nuclear reactor/rods)+really cold(nitrogen liquid or dry ice ish stuff)=boom+ stres fractures from it going from soo hot to cold rapidly so more holes in the reactor and i forget who said it but they seemed to think the nitrogen would turn into a diffrent chemical some how through a reacton and that that would be almost the worst case scenariio.....if tepco is taking hair brained schemes like what mine was orignialy and applying them to this situation im freaking terrified.....

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   
After the recent aftershock newsline reporting following for nuclear facilities:
Higashidori and Rokkasho (has a large amount of spent fuel in pools which need to be cooled) - operating on emergency power as outside power lines down
Oanagawa - two out of three transmission power lines down
Fukushima Daiichi, Fukushima Daini and Tokai Danini - no additional problems reported so far

NHK World

top topics

<< 596  597  598    600  601  602 >>

join