It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 595.htm
<< 592  593  594    596  597  598 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by LilFox
reply to post by notsofunnyguy

Sorry about that, here is the source.

The now defunct Japanese government research organization Power Reactor and Nuclear Fuel Development Corporation (PNC) 動力炉・核燃料開発事業団 (later reorganized into the Japan Atomic Energy Agency ( JAEA) 日本原子力研究開発機構 ) created an anime propaganda starring Little Mr. Pluto (or Pluto-kun プルトくん) who wears a green helmet with a pair of antennae and the chemical symbol for plutonium, Pu.

edit on 7/4/2011 by LilFox because: added info

edit on 7/4/2011 by LilFox because: better link >.>

No problem. I hunted down more info on them and the video last night.

Apparently they got ripped by the international community after showing the video to school kids in 1993 because it was so blatantly a lie (the plutonium clump in the ocean and the "it's safe to drink" thing).

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Okay - I gotta ask again.

What is the problem with blowing apart the mass of melted plutonium/other? Don't small piles that would be formed radiate less?

Isn't a mess with less radiation easier to deal with than a clean big pile that you can't even get at?

Why can't the cores / melted cores be cooled with liquid nitrogen or some other consistent source of immense cooling (gas hydrate) to steal the kinetic energy of the neutons? Sure, it might explode, but if you have partial containment so the frac what? Let it. Then keep pumping in the coolant on the mess.

Why can't you use microwave ionization for cooling - microwave ionation should be able to penetrate the metal at least partially. Partially is better than not at all. If the ionization is caused by the removal of a neutron from the atomic structure, shouldn't this then also act partially as a neutron poison while the microwave allow for some penetration into the metal soup of atoms, and the cooling effect should steal some of the kinetic energy of the neutrons.

Or ionized atomic plasma without a neutron be directed at these melted cores?

Hell, can you do this is stages? Then the first solution needs to only be temporary while you put in place the second more long-term and better manageable one?

edit on 2011/4/7 by Aeons because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Looked at a couple quick possible sources for the brilliant flash on the new video. Assuming electrical I followed some high tension lines north to a junction, but it was only about 5 miles out from my origin. I don't give that one much weight as where the flash took place.

Following that heading out to 13 miles I discovered an electrical substation directly adjacent to a high speed rail line as it exits from a tunnel. I'll provide the google earth image here, but also if you navigate to that spot there is an image that shows the substation with a couple greenhouses in the fore ground.

Also, this location to me seems probable because it's line of sighted just slightly from the hotel web cam which gave it that ability to light up the hillsides in the video. Maybe if I knew the height above street level of that web cam we could figure a distance? The enormity of that flash might make it hard to pin point.

Soul

ETA: That rail line runs directly back to the station overlooked by the webcam in Sendai.

edit on 7-4-2011 by Soulwarrior because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   
has anyone heard anything about Tokaimura?
I have been unable to watch any live feeds or anything..

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

And a wonderful asset you are Des! I am proud of everyone on this thread contributing their time and thoughts and energy. I think if one of you amazing writers ever wanted to write a documentary about this event this thread would be an invaluable resource.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Soulwarrior
Looked at a couple quick possible sources for the brilliant flash on the new video. Assuming electrical I followed some high tension lines north to a junction, but it was only about 5 miles out from my origin. I don't give that one much weight as where the flash took place.

Following that heading out to 13 miles I discovered an electrical substation directly adjacent to a high speed rail line as it exits from a tunnel. I'll provide the google earth image here, but also if you navigate to that spot there is an image that shows the substation with a couple greenhouses in the fore ground.

Also, this location to me seems probable because it's line of sighted just slightly from the hotel web cam which gave it that ability to light up the hillsides in the video. Maybe if I knew the height above street level of that web cam we could figure a distance? The enormity of that flash might make it hard to pin point.

Soul

ETA: That rail line runs directly back to the station overlooked by the webcam in Sendai.

edit on 7-4-2011 by Soulwarrior because: (no reason given)

That looks about right except it doesnt account for the other explosions before the big one they were across a big area.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Aeons

What is the problem with blowing apart the mass of melted plutonium/other?

and sort of blast would further spread any particles even further...even the wind is a problem that's why they are spraying the resin stuff to help control dust etc..

Why can't the cores / melted cores be cooled with liquid nitrogen or some other consistent source of immense cooling (gas hydrate) to steal the kinetic energy of the neutons? Sure, it might explode, but if you have partial containment so the frac what? Let it.

many of the chemicals one might think would be a good idea, won't work due to reactions with other things there..as explained before in this thread liquid nitrogen would be akin to throwing gas on a fire from what i understand..
and I am not sure about the partial containment

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheLastStand
reply to post by SDoradus

Japan is a total lemon spot for nuke facilities, we have one solid piece of proof that it is, so we need to determine the whole island to be unsuitable, and screen for further unsuitable locations in and around the pacific ring of fire.

Maybe you haven't noticed but the more energy a society consumes (and redirects) the wealthier that society is. MODERN civilization comes from our ability to consume and direct massive amounts of energy into useful work. Without it we become a primitive agrarian society of small population.

I believe that you can design nuclear plants that are safe. These at Fukushima have serious flaws.

If you deny Japan, which has no oil, access to nuclear energy, you relegate them to primitive poor third world status.

Do you drive a car? THEN you have parts in your car that were created by nuclear energy, some energy from Fukushima. YOU and WE all are guilty of utilizing the energy of Japan in our electronics, our computers, our cell phones, all of it has some fraction of it's existence owed to those magnificent machines that have exploded in Japan. If you don't cry at their loss then you don't understand the magnitude of the accident.

SERIOUSLY, I've done the calculations and our global society now/today consumes the same energy as if we had converted 150 kg of matter directly into energy each year. We are on the verge of becoming a truly advanced society.

All we need is more cheaper energy, Nuclear is the best way of getting this energy. Without it we return to tribal warfare and cannibalism.

Prosperity Comes From Inexpensive Energy

Burn Baby BURN! Annual US Terra Watts!

I wish the anti-energy folks would get there collective heads screwed on straight.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy

Originally posted by MedievalGhost
Japanese tv news just reported that workers were evacuated from the plant right before the nitrogen injection was started because TEPCO is not sure what the result of the injection will be.

Like kaboom?
edit on 7-4-2011 by MedievalGhost because: (no reason given)

Good Gravy!

I thought the TEPCO operation was scary before. Now it's like a bad episode of Laurel and Hardy.

Whether they planned it this way or what, here is a synopsis of the nitrogen injection operation.

Step #1- Inject nitrogen into reactor pressure vessel that has a partially melted core.

Step #2- RUN AWAY! [/quote

Actually I'm hearing circus clown music:

Do-do-dodo-dodo-do-do-do-do...BOOM!

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Have they no shame? They are ready to start this up again this coming Monday? I thought they had no money left so could only pay $12 a head to their victims?

Recyclable-Fuel Storage Co. said Thursday it will resume peripheral construction work Monday for a facility for intermediate storage of spent nuclear fuel in Mutsu, Aomori Prefecture.

The company, which is 80 percent owned by Tokyo Electric Power Co., has suspended the construction since the March 11 earthquake and tsunami triggered a crisis at TEPCO's Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant.

The company attributed the suspension to materials shortages after the disaster and noted that the resumption comes as materials distribution has been stabilized.

But the firm said it is uncertain when to resume construction of the facility itself as its safety against quakes and tsunami waves must be confirmed. The facility is now planned to start operations in July 2012.

The company noted the facility will store only sound spent nuclear fuel rods excluding broken ones at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant.

source

And here's a little more background on what they will be storing there

The Mutsu facility will initially have the capacity to store 3000 tonnes of used fuel, almost half of Japan's total annual nuclear fuel use. However, RFS plans to later increase this capacity to 5000 tonnes.

The facility would store the highly radioactive fuel assemblies from the utilities' boiling water and pressurized water reactors in dry storage casks until they are reprocessed at the Rokkasho plant, under construction about 50 kilometres away. A mix of recovered uranium and plutonium oxides - where the plutonium is never separated - would then be recycled into fresh mixed-oxide nuclear fuel at the J-MOX nuclear fuel manufacturing plant, alongside Rokkasho.

According to Japco, "Used fuel is usually stored on-site at power stations until reprocessing, which may result in large stockpiles. Therefore, an intermediate storage facility is necessary for more efficient off-site management of used fuel and functions as the recycling centre for spent fuel."

source

Guess central Japan is a little "out of season" now so they want to build on the coast of northern Japan. They are going to run out of rock.
edit on 7-4-2011 by DancedWithWolves because: (no reason given)

edit on 7-4-2011 by DancedWithWolves because: html for dummies

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Concerns grow in South Korea where the capital's weather agency said that radioactive material from the Fukushima plant might be carried to South Korea by south-easterly winds

Scores of schools in South Korea were closed today as teachers and parents panicked over fears that falling rain could be carrying radiation from Japan's crippled nuclear plant.

As rain swept across the Korean capital, Seoul, and the surrounding Gyeonggi province, classes were cancelled or cut back and children were hurried to their homes.

Seoul is around 750 miles from the damaged nuclear plant at Fukushima and since the March 11 earthquake and tsunami radiation has been leaking into the atmosphere and the sea, contaminating vegetables, meat and fish nearby. www.dailymail.co.uk...

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by okiecowboy

Great - blow it apart while spraying the resin.

Did you know that if you keep throwing fuel on a fire, you can smother it? Keep letting it explode.
edit on 2011/4/7 by Aeons because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by IDBIT
CENTRAL CALIFORNIA just got hit with a 2.9

I didn't know how many earthquakes happen in a week!

earthquake.usgs.gov...

Greetings:

Ya want excitement?

4.4 2011/04/07 16:40:50 63.897 -148.620 119.2 CENTRAL ALASKA
2.9 2011/04/07 16:39:04 37.479 -118.841 5.0 CENTRAL CALIFORNIA
4.6 2011/04/07 15:31:28 38.301 142.119 67.2 NEAR THE EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN
4.6 2011/04/07 15:25:14 38.203 141.867 67.0 NEAR THE EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN
7.1 2011/04/07 14:32:42 38.253 141.640 49.0 NEAR THE EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN
4.3 2011/04/07 13:41:00 31.339 -115.538 10.0 BAJA CALIFORNIA, MEXICO
6.5 2011/04/07 13:11:25 17.431 -93.978 167.4 VERACRUZ, MEXICO
2.9 2011/04/07 12:20:49 36.023 -117.777 1.9 CENTRAL CALIFORNIA
2.6 2011/04/07 11:13:54 34.271 -118.719 12.9 GREATER LOS ANGELES AREA, CALIFORNIA
4.7 2011/04/07 10:52:13 35.608 140.489 35.5 NEAR THE EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN
2.5 2011/04/07 10:03:35 35.243 -92.359 3.2 ARKANSAS
4.6 2011/04/07 08:25:06 37.611 141.890 30.8 NEAR THE EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN
5.1 2011/04/07 07:16:12 -42.228 177.490 14.1 OFF E. COAST OF THE SOUTH ISLAND, N.Z.
4.6 2011/04/07 06:34:24 37.928 142.661 39.2 OFF THE EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN
4.4 2011/04/07 06:13:24 -24.198 179.713 529.7 SOUTH OF THE FIJI ISLANDS
2.8 2011/04/07 05:10:55 39.001 -111.340 0.2 UTAH
4.6 2011/04/07 04:47:36 34.360 45.570 17.8 IRAN-IRAQ BORDER REGION
2.7 2011/04/07 04:11:47 32.264 -115.191 10.0 BAJA CALIFORNIA, MEXICO
3.6 2011/04/07 04:11:14 45.950 -129.882 10.2 OFF THE COAST OF OREGON
2.5 2011/04/07 03:45:22 57.692 -154.836 77.2 KODIAK ISLAND REGION, ALASKA
4.9 2011/04/07 02:40:48 36.511 140.830 48.5 NEAR THE EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN
3.4 2011/04/07 02:34:51 35.232 -92.367 6.3 ARKANSAS

In Peace & Light

tfw

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Some Nuclear Plant info from right after 9 quake

en.wikipedia.org...

Onagawa Nuclear Power Plant
A map showing epicenter of earthquake and position of nuclear power plants

A fire occurred in the turbine section of the Onagawa Nuclear Power Plant following the earthquake.[150][165] The blaze was in a building housing the turbine, which is sited separately from the plant's reactor,[153] and was soon extinguished.[166] The plant was shut down as a precaution.[167]

On 13 March the lowest-level state of emergency was declared regarding the Onagawa plant as radioactivity readings temporarily[168] exceeded allowed levels in the area of the plant.[169][170] Tohoku Electric Power Co. stated this may have been due to radiation from the Fukushima I nuclear accidents but was not from the Onagawa plant itself.[171]
Tōkai Nuclear Power Plant

The number 2 reactor at Tōkai Nuclear Power Plant was shut down automatically.[149] On 14 March it was reported that a cooling system pump for this reactor had stopped working;[172] however, the Japan Atomic Power Company stated that there was a second operational pump sustaining the cooling systems, but that two of three diesel generators used to power the cooling system were out of order.[173]

Des

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by SDoradus

Originally posted by TheLastStand
reply to post by SDoradus

All we need is more cheaper energy, Nuclear is the best way of getting this energy. Without it we return to tribal warfare and cannibalism.

Cannibalism huh. Nuclear accounts for 30% of the energy profile of the US and without it we will turn to cannibalism? WOW. Americans are weirder than I thought *giggle*. I think us Canadians should keep a very wary eye on you guys from now on... I prefer my eyeballs in my head where they belong and not in someone's campfire soup!

Wind and solar power outperform nuke energy Greenpeace, yes, but they've got a point.
edit on 7-4-2011 by Wertwog because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Good to know it was most likely a Sub Station, and not From Fukushima 1 Daiichi, Reacter 1(At a guess).

Does anybody know the status of the pumping operations at Reacter 1?

Is it true the plant was evacuated because they don't know what the end result could be, or was it just due to the Earth Quacke?

And have have the idiots/Liars At Tepco or NISA, confirmed if it was liquid Nitrogen, or Nitrogen gas they were injecting, hopefully the 1st?

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Here is the latest situation update from:hisz.rsoe.hu...

I have made some space out editing for easy reading
There is a lot of good info in this one.

Tokyo Electric Power Co. said it started injecting nitrogen early Thursday into reactor 1 at the Fukushima No. 1 nuclear plant to purge the hydrogen inside and prevent an explosion, and the process went smoothly in the afternoon. Tepco meanwhile said it believes 25 percent of the fuel rods in reactor No. 3's core were damaged as of March 15, with their casings ruptured or melted from earlier overheating caused by temporary loss of coolant water.
The damage could lead to the release of strong radioactive materials from the reactor's core. Tepco said earlier that an estimated 70 percent of the fuel rods in the No. 1 reactor and 30 percent in the No. 2 reactor were damaged as of March 15. This was the first time the utility issued an estimate for reactor 3's core.

According to Tepco, the operation to inject about 6,000 cu. meters of nitrogen into reactor 1's containment vessel is expected to last six days. Tepco is also considering injecting nitrogen into reactors 2 and 3. According to a New York Times report, U.S. experts advising the Japanese government were particularly concerned about a possible hydrogen explosion in reactor No. 1, which could severely damage its integrity and lead to the release of large amounts of radioactive materials.
Hydrogen, which is believed being generated inside reactors 1, 2 and 3, could explode if it reacts with oxygen. According to the Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency, the pressure inside the No. 1 reactor had risen to 0.168 megapascal by 9:30 a.m. from 0.156 megapascal at 1:31 a.m., when the procedure started, showing the nitrogen was entering smoothly.
Purging the hydrogen from the reactor could also result in release of some radioactive materials. Tepco claimed it was closely monitoring radiation levels in and around the plant compound. Workers around all four reactors were ordered to temporarily evacuate at the beginning of the operation due to the possible leakage of radioactive materials.
But Chief Cabinet Secretary Yukio Edano said they were back at work later in the morning. "There was a certain amount of risk at the beginning of the infusion of nitrogen and we took measures just in case the unexpected happened," Edano said. But "the nitrogen is being injected properly and I have been told that the workers have resumed their jobs at the reactors.

"Ever since the March 11 earthquake, preventing an explosion inside the reactors has been one of the main goals of our countermeasures," Edano said. "The possibility of a hydrogen explosion at the moment is not necessarily high, but we wanted to bring it down to as close to zero as possible." Meanwhile, Tepco has decided not to estimate the percentage of damaged fuel rods beyond March 15 because it can't obtain reliable data, a company official said.
The utility made the estimate by measuring the rate of change in the amount of gamma rays inside the pressure vessels for reactors 1, 2 and 3, which hold nuclear fuel rods. Reactor 4 has no fuel rods inside its core because it was shut down before the quake. "Judging from the temperature of the pressure vessels, the damage to the fuel rods may be greater now (than 70 percent) for reactor No. 1, while No. 2 may not have changed much," said Ken Nakajima of the Kyoto University Research Reactor Institute.

Still, Nakajima said the fact that the radiation level of water in the turbine building of reactor No. 1 isn't that high means damage to the reactor's pressure vessel and containment vessel — two key barriers preventing the release of radioactive materials — must have been relatively small.
"It is lucky that the containment function at reactor No. 1 is not so damaged," he said. He also said it makes sense that Tepco began pumping nitrogen into reactor 1's containment vessel first because the level of damage to its fuel rods means it poses the greatest danger of releasing radioactive substances should it explode.

Nakajima said the damage to pressure and containment vessels of the No. 2 reactor is probably greater than that of No. 1 and No. 3, judging from the level of radiation in water in their pipe trenches. Tepco said March 27 that the radiation level in reactor No. 1's trench was 0.4 millisievert, while that in reactor No. 2's trench was more than 1,000 millisieverts. It could not monitor the level at No. 3 because of debris.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by SDoradus

Nuclear is the best way of getting this energy. Without it we return to tribal warfare and cannibalism.

[

Thats a steaming pile of something. Efficiency, Solar and Geothermal all clearly offer ways to provide needed electricity without the glaring risks of nuclear power generation.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by DancedWithWolves

Don't forget Rokkasho-mura is already home to the worlds largest spent fuel pool

source

I talk a bit about it in this thread about spent fuel fires
www.abovetopsecret.com

top topics

<< 592  593  594    596  597  598 >>

join