It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 594.htm
<< 591  592  593    595  596  597 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   
CENTRAL CALIFORNIA just got hit with a 2.9

I didn't know how many earthquakes happen in a week!

earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 11:52 AM
link   
The flashes of light are electrical in nature. The first was probably a transformer, then the delay for the re closure action, then whatever caused the initial short didn't clear, and something bigger(utility station perhaps?) went up at the end.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   
@ odd1out - Good video
Thanks for posting!

Originally posted by odd1out
This wasn't just ONE explosion...watch this video...it's a series of flashes (blue) than the large white fireball.

www.youtube.com...

That video does show several white/blue light flashes

Three of them in still shots here

3 seconds in - bright light flash off to the left partially behind the tall buildings -

8-9 seconds in - what appears to be another flash with a billowing something behind the tall buildings...

11 seconds in with the largest flash of light -

edit on 7-4-2011 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   
TY BTS....I'm still thinking electrical in nature. Or, at least hoping.

des

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Something I am wondering now - We had that light on again at the last web cam shot. -- I am wondering if "something" happened at the reactors that set off the 7.1 quake? The quake I believe was 72 miles ENE of Fukushima, Honshu, Japan?

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   
From March 14th, 2011:

State Of Emergency Declared At Onagawa Nuclear Power Plant

The U.N. nuclear agency says Japan has declared a state of emergency at another earthquake-affected nuclear plant where higher-than-permitted levels of radioactivity were measured.

The International Atomic Energy Agency says Japan informed it that the source of the radioactivity at the Onagawa power plant is being investigated. It said all three reactors at the plant are under control.

link

I don't know if anyone caught that article on the 14th, but it seems significant. Apparently, Onagawa nuclear power plant was damaged during the 9.0 quake, resulting in higher-than-permitted levels of radioactivity detected. I wonder if it sustained any more damage during this last quake.

edit on 7-4-2011 by MedievalGhost because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheLastStand
reply to post by SDoradus

Nuclides!

Because neutrons make other radioactive atoms, and so their radiation doesn't just disappear, chances are it gets absorbed into an atom and the new configuration is not stable and can re-emit the radiation in just as energetic of a way quickly (strong burst) or slower (gradual or staged series of emission) or potentially in any combination depending on the substance.

When you say it's half-life is only 10 minutes, I am thinking this radiation to be more of a cascading reaction that will dilute itself into a nasty cocktail of thousands of different molecules and elementary isotopes. That radiation has to go somewhere and it does it get re-emitted (just because something is "stable" doesn't mean that it actually is "stable"; just "more stable than most". There are actually many more different isotopes of elementary atoms than we have discovered only in many conditions the half-life is so quick that when the isotope is made it disappears so quickly that there is no instrumentation that can read it or currently discern a pattern (and that is why we will discover more and more isotopes to almost no end).

Making new elements from other elements is NOT as simple as just hitting it with a neutron ya know. You can wack iron all day with neutrons and get nothing.

Elements lighter than Iron tend to absorb neutrons Elements heavier tend to fission into new elements. For example
Light element; H + n -> H-2 (a stable version of hydrogen with an extra neutron)
Heavy element U-238 + n -> U-239 + beta -> Np-239 + beta -> Pu-239 ( with a half life of 24 thousand years)

The neutron has to be at the right speed/energy level the atom has to have the right barn cross section.

Typically neutrons just ionize like any other radiation. More damaging like alpha but penetrate deeper.

If you don't know much about the chart of Nuclides I suggest everybody read up on it a bit. It's just like the table of elements you learned in high school (primary school) but more complete.

Google Nuclides

PS. Personally I favor the fusion reaction 4H -> He +24Mev. It's more interesting. You can fuse other elements which is how some of the very high end heavies have been created squishing lead and americium together for example ... but that's very difficult.

edit on 7-4-2011 by SDoradus because: shift paragraph for clarity

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   
i sincerely DO hope that this hasn't caused more problems at fukushima... i understand they're keen to give reassurances & avoid further panic about the situation, but i dunno... they evacuated all staff, sat out a tsunami warning, waited for clearance, then managed to make an assessment saying no probs on site within a seemingly very short span of time...??

btw, slightly off-topic - earlier today, i posted a thread entitled "Inside Chernobyl nuclear reactor 25 years on" , which has a short, but haunting vid, including the inside of the reactor there...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 7-4-2011 by pattonisit because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by GhostR1der

I'd like to thank you and everyone for their posted opinions and to be honest, I'd also be relatively happy to find out that this was really no more than some pretty big transformer/substation problems. (Btw GhostR1der, you make a very good point about the dangers of UV from such flashes. I've done a fair amount of "arc" welding over the years as well as some MIG and TIG, and it's one reason I always keep my skin well covered, even on a stinking hot day. And of course, I always use a welder's mask.)

Regarding the "flash" webcam's direction. I've dug around but can't trace that particular cam, but meanwhile I'll offer this observation for what it's worth: generally speaking, pointing fixed webcams either east or west at the near-horizontal is not ideal because catching sunrise or sunset nearly full on the lens is not a great idea. Hence I'd suspect that cam was pointing either north or south (ish).

Also, the Onagawa Nuclear Power Station that was reported to be having some power distribution problems is down on the coast at around 75 degrees from Sendai. (ie roughly WNW.) So if my previous assumption of cam orientation is of any merit (always dubious, I admit
), then it's unlikely that particular flash was from Onagawa.

Best regards,

Mike

edit on 7/4/11 by JustMike because: minor details

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Russia bans seafood imports from Japan

www.livestation.com...

Not just the effected prefectures, ALL Japanese seafoods. This is due to inneffective or absent controls by the JapGuv to identify and remove potentially radiated products.

Expect more countries to follow.
edit on 7-4-2011 by mrbillshow because: sp

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Onagawa nuclear plant loses part of outside power

Japan's nuclear agency says the quake on Thursday night disabled 2 out of the 3 outside power lines used at the Onagawa nuclear power plant in Miyagi Prefecture.

The Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency says the plant has been using outside power lines to cool its nuclear fuel rods since the March 11th quake. The agency says after Thursday's quake, the plant is using only one remaining power line.

The agency says there is no change in radiation levels around the plant as of just after midnight Thursday. The agency is trying to confirm the current status at the plant.

Friday, April 08, 2011 01:30 +0900 (JST)

www3.nhk.or.jp...

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Why yes one can have energetic magnitude make different reactions and yes different speed required for different elements. But that radiation has got to go somewhere it simply doesn't disappear, a portion is emitted as alpha and beta-wavelength, maybe some as light from that blue glow and criticality events, plenty as heat although on the small scale it is less noticeable. Not saying there's a 100% conversion rate but seriously we all know how much radioactive garbage they have there, more than original estimates of both the pools and the reactors, and chances are if japan doesn't get a handle on their other plants a new quake will come along and catch them with their pants down. They have some serious blinders going on if they think fukushima is the only problem, they need to disable their reactors and get that nuclear waste off their island asap. The sandstone that fukushima is sitting on will eventually get disintegrated with all the quaking and rattingling going on. I think this quake, dubbed an aftershock (but I don't think so I think this quake is ongoing and it's releasing an incredible amount of mechanical energy and doing what would look like geographically as a sudden slip. Thousands upon thousands of little quakes like this releasing energy, and we can see some rather dramatic geological changes to the area occur over a relatively short time frame (and I would think a lot shorter than what scientists think is possible).

Japan is a total lemon spot for nuke facilities, we have one solid piece of proof that it is, so we need to determine the whole island to be unsuitable, and screen for further unsuitable locations in and around the pacific ring of fire.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by bitbytebit

In the last few days a lot of the b and c team posters have been spreading misinformation willy nilly. Its kind of annoying.

Originally posted by SDoradus

If you don't know much about the chart of Nuclides I suggest everybody read up on it a bit. It's just like the table of elements you learned in high school (primary school) but more complete.

And I have noticed some condescending attitude coming from certain posters who consider themselves "A team". I value every ones contribution here and everyone is contributing with the skills they have. Writers are adding perspective, graphic artists are contributing photo analysis, ex-military are adding their expertise and so on and it's all valuable. We're not exactly able to validate "expert" credentials, so anyone who is positioning themselves for the A team can also be taken with a grain of salt. We are supposed to be able to speculate and have it disproved or accepted and as long as people are citing reputable sources. Anyone can be wrong, and we've had a few hunches and errors by the A team as well. Let's play nice and not get into an elitist tone.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   
since when were there "teams" ...

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by xxcatcatcatxx

Exactly. Bitbytebit brought this term into play with his post and I just think we should remember we're all on the SAME team.
edit on 7-4-2011 by Wertwog because: double quote

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrbillshow
Onagawa nuclear plant loses part of outside power

Japan's nuclear agency says the quake on Thursday night disabled 2 out of the 3 outside power lines used at the Onagawa nuclear power plant in Miyagi Prefecture.

The Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency says the plant has been using outside power lines to cool its nuclear fuel rods since the March 11th quake. The agency says after Thursday's quake, the plant is using only one remaining power line.

The agency says there is no change in radiation levels around the plant as of just after midnight Thursday. The agency is trying to confirm the current status at the plant.

Friday, April 08, 2011 01:30 +0900 (JST)

www3.nhk.or.jp...

They are just admitting this now? They have been on outside power all this time? I wonder what else has been going on there while everyone was focused on Fukushima. They had an alert on the 11th after the earthquake with radiation detected, but later said No the radiation was from Fukushima and only detected at Onagawa and issued the all clear.

A reminder to everyone that Fukushima gave the all clear after the 11th earthquake too. We all know how that turned out.

link   

Originally posted by Wertwog

Originally posted by xxcatcatcatxx

Exactly. Bitbytebit brought this term into play with his post and I just think we should remember we're all on the SAME team.
edit on 7-4-2011 by Wertwog because: double quote

Hey, I'm just the witch who lives under my rock, and fetches data for others to work with. But still all on the same team.

des

link   
reply to post by mrbillshow

The agency says there is no change in radiation levels around the plant as of just after midnight Thursday

Seems they are cautious with their words by saying "no change".
My question would be what were the levels before the recent
quake and power outage?

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Wertwog

Sometimes the odd brainfart is good to keep people on their toes so we don't get to complacent with buying another person's words without doing a little research. I can't remember what it was exactly a few days ago (deleted from my head real quick) that I caught myself falling for... but when I got around to double checking it, the source seemed rather hoaky from beforeitnews I think.... there are so many people clicking on fact on the stupidest hoaxes on there any credibility that site could have had was lost pretty quickly with all the true clickers (on everything) -- some people buy whatever they read they are trained to be that way.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by crazydaisy
reply to post by mrbillshow

The agency says there is no change in radiation levels around the plant as of just after midnight Thursday

Seems they are cautious with their words by saying "no change".
My question would be what were the levels before the recent
quake and power outage?

ahhhh...that would depend, on which TEPCO mouth piece, pulled that info out of their nether regions....

des

new topics

top topics

<< 591  592  593    595  596  597 >>

join