It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 584.htm
<< 581  582  583    585  586  587 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 01:39 AM
link   
www.tepco.co.jp...
the camera is stuck in time 15:00:57 or is not real time ?

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 01:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by notsofunnyguy

Originally posted by kismetphayze
reply to post by LilFox

I think whoever made this should be asked to drink plutonium everyday. If they believe what they say they should have no problem with that, right?

No F'ing kidding.

"Here, drink poison. It's good for you."

WTF!

That reminds me, didn't Ann Coulter get interviewed and say "Radiation is good for you" just a few days after the plant started having problems?

I really need to count to 10 right now, but I kind of don't want to.

ETA: Zorgon already found and posted her video.
edit on 7-4-2011 by notsofunnyguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 01:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by rbrtj
reply to post by notsofunnyguy

Check this out about Pluto...

en.wikipedia.org...

The name was soon embraced by wider culture. In 1930, Walt Disney introduced for Mickey Mouse a canine companion, named Pluto apparently in the object's honour, although Disney animator Ben Sharpsteen could not confirm why the name was given.[34] In 1941, Glenn T. Seaborg named the newly created element plutonium after Pluto, in keeping with the tradition of naming elements after newly discovered planets, such as uranium, which was named after Uranus, and neptunium, which was named after Neptune.[35]

Watch, TEPCO will restructure and form a new corporation...called Charon (the ferryman).

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 01:47 AM
link   
More on the nitrogen injection:

In its operation to prevent a hydrogen explosion at the No. 1 reactor, TEPCO plans to insert nearly 6,000 cubic meters of nitrogen, an inert gas, into the reactor over six days and estimates that about 200 cubic meters were injected between 1:30 a.m. and 9:50 a.m. Thursday.

link

6,000 cubic meters of nitrogen sounds like a lot.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 01:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

Where did you find the images and video?
I want to research them and see if they're connected to TEPCO.

From the video post

The brainchild of a now defunct government research organization, the apple-cheeked animated Little Mr. Pluto debuted in the mid-1990s wearing a green helmet with a pair of antennae and the chemical symbol for plutonium, Pu. Promising to "never be scary or dangerous," Little Pluto extolled the benefits of plutonium, which Japanese nuclear authorities have viewed as a fuel of the future for fast breeder reactor technology.

How convenient.

Wait...that means the Japanese government told people it's okay to drink plutonium every day.

link   

Originally posted by MedievalGhost
More on the nitrogen injection:

In its operation to prevent a hydrogen explosion at the No. 1 reactor, TEPCO plans to insert nearly 6,000 cubic meters of nitrogen, an inert gas, into the reactor over six days and estimates that about 200 cubic meters were injected between 1:30 a.m. and 9:50 a.m. Thursday.

link

6,000 cubic meters of nitrogen sounds like a lot.

Just wait they will try dry ice next

link   

Originally posted by zorgon

Originally posted by okiecowboy
I am going to sleep so much better tonight thanks to that

I wonder how many of THESE are on that whole site? And where are they now?

Those are all in the ocean. Didn't you see the cutesy death video?

Sorry, but I'm MAD. I can't believe that #.

Oh, I can't wait. They say the tsunami derbies will be washing up on our beaches here in Washington state in a couple of years. I'm sure that will include some of this stuff.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 01:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by MedievalGhost
How to prepare radioactive fish and vegetables

Q: What are points to be careful of when cooking fish?

A: For vegetables, it is effective to wash or peel them as radioactive materials get attached to the surface. For fish, however, radioactive materials could be drawn into the body through seawater and feed, so they can be eliminated significantly by removing offal. It is also important to wash the fish because there may be some radioactive materials left on the surface. It is recommended to avoid eating fish skin..

Kyodo News

Mmm mmm. I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm getting hungry just reading this article.

I can't wait to see the video for THIS.

They'll probably use the VeggieTales characters.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 01:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by OuttaHere

I don't know, as recently as two weeks ago there were TEPCO officials hinting at trying to save reactors 5 & 6 to put them back online, and in "late March" (like, less than a week ago) they actually submitted a plan to the government for two NEW reactors at Fukushima. I posted about it when it happened; I will look for the links again if you like.

Well, they were already building 2 more (7 and 8) at Fukushima (#1) Daiichi. Maybe they were asking for permission to continue? Or perhaps they wanted to add two more at Fukushima (#2) Daini. Since there are only 4 there?

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 02:03 AM
link   
For your reading pleasure:

Kyodo News

The firm and the government's Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency said they believe chances are slim that another hydrogen explosion will occur immediately or that high volumes of radioactive substances will be emitted following the nitrogen injection operation.

There's that word again: "immediately".

It won't occur immediately, it might occur in a day or two.

Gotta learn to read between those lines...

[edit]Also I noticed they said chances are "slim" that a hydrogen explosion will occur immediately. Which is essentially admitting that there is a slim chance of one happening at any moment.[/edit]

edit on 7-4-2011 by OuttaHere because: I noticed more evasiveness to comment upon...

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 02:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by jadedANDcynical
reply to post by rbrtj

Ask and ye shall receive

They're tying the barge up right in front of the cask building:

And for a full frontal:

As before, if I'm wrong, I'll take to the corner with the dunce cap.

Couple of questions here:

1. In second picture, they've got something covered. Anybody have any idea what?
2. Pages and pages ago, there was some talk about them sending a fresh water barge in, and by the calculations the barge rode too high in the water. Is this the same barge?
3. If they brought in an empty barge (or were unloading the thing in picture 2), would they be loading anything into the barge once they docked? Like radioactive material?
4. If they did, where would they move it? To Daiini? To the ocean floor? (the criminals from the cartoon keep running through my head)

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 02:05 AM
link   
Toxic water leaking again:

Kyodo News

Hidehiko Nishiyama, a spokesman for the nuclear regulatory body, said the water level, which rose about 4 centimeters and then returned to the previous level, suggests that highly radioactive water may have begun leaking again from somewhere else and said that TEPCO was expected to boost monitoring of seawater radiation levels.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 02:08 AM
link   
reply to post by MedievalGhost

I hate to say this, but this means that 6,000 cubic meters of radioactive gas within the containment will need to be displaced. It will go into the atmosphere.

This could mean for a spike in radioactivity around the plant, and radioactive fallout in the general area and beyond.

Hopefully, winds will continue to blow out over the ocean during this time - but the weather forecast seems sketchy for this:
www.wunderground.com...

Now, this is probably a "drop in the bucket" compared to what has already been, what continues to be, what soon will be, and what later will be released... But just thought I would mention it

edit on 7-4-2011 by PhysicsAlive because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 02:10 AM
link   
reply to post by OuttaHere

No, that's okay. I remember reading about them.

Maybe they don't know. They keep using phrases like "we believe" and "we think" (doubtful, that one) which indicates that they don't actually KNOW.

I realize the circumstances (earthquake+tsunami+multiple nuclear events) seem almost impossible to even imagine, but that's EXACTLY what these guys get paid for. To figure out, and prevent, the absolute worst case scenario.

Unfortunately for the entire planet, TEPCO (and possibly the Japanese government, and GE) failed. Epically.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 02:11 AM
link   
reply to post by PhysicsAlive

Originally posted by PhysicsAlive
reply to post by MedievalGhost

I hate to say this, but this means that 6,000 cubic meters of radioactive gas within the containment will need to be displaced. It will go into the atmosphere.

This could mean for a spike in radioactivity around the plant, and radioactive fallout in the general area and beyond.

Hopefully, winds will continue to blow out over the ocean during this time - but the weather forecast seems sketchy for this:

www.wunderground.com...:00000.1.47557&hourly=1&yday=96&weekday=Thursday

Now, this is probably a "drop in the bucket" compared to what has already been, what continues to be, what soon will be, and what later will be released... But just thought I would mention it

This was addressed in the following new article on Kyodo News

The firm and the government's Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency said they believe chances are slim that... high volumes of radioactive substances will be emitted following the nitrogen injection operation. But TEPCO notified municipalities near the plant of the possibility of an increase in leaks of radioactive materials. Since the start of the operation, no major changes have been observed in radiation levels in the air, it said.

So at least they are addressing the possibility. It's a start, with these TEPCO people.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 02:12 AM
link   
reply to post by rbrtj

I thought I read/saw someone post that it updated hourly. I just checked the link and it was at 16:00:57.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 02:13 AM
link   
I wonder what the Japanese punishment is for breaking Japan ...

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 02:13 AM
link   
This would be funny if it wasn't so d*mn frighteningly ridiculous!

Tepco thinks repairing the new water leaks and ensuring that no more radioactive water leaks into the ocean will take about a week:

Kyodo News

After releasing the low-level radioactive water from the plant to create room in a storage chamber, which can hold about half of the estimated 60,000 tons of toxic liquid at the site, TEPCO will conduct repair work for about a week to ensure the facility can retain highly radioactive water safely without fear of outside leakage, Nishiyama said.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 02:16 AM
link   

I bet the thing on the boat or raft is a valve or pump.
Good Job on the Cask or barrel pick up idea...

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 02:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by OuttaHere
Toxic water leaking again:

Kyodo News

Hidehiko Nishiyama, a spokesman for the nuclear regulatory body, said the water level, which rose about 4 centimeters and then returned to the previous level, suggests that highly radioactive water may have begun leaking again from somewhere else and said that TEPCO was expected to boost monitoring of seawater radiation levels.

Hi.
I've been following this thread diligently. Thanks everyone for keeping this thread alive.

I wonder if the tides effects are not being taken into account when these measurements are collected? If there is a 'new' open fissure along the crust of the coast-line there, then there is where water can dissipate to and from? May also be a good place for contamination to accumulate; due to the vacuum effect?

Maybe there's a 'sweet-spot' directly under the site that is entirely compromised? To me nuclear energy is the power of a sun/star. We figured we could harness it, but it is proving to be beyond our grasp...

top topics

<< 581  582  583    585  586  587 >>

join