It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 58.htm
<< 55  56  57    59  60  61 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 12:18 AM
link   
reply to post by 00nunya00

All I know about MOX fuels is that they contain far more radiation and decay more energetically (burn hotter) than uranium-238... when I worked in the nuclear industry, there were no MOX fuels.

Sorry, but that's really about all I know.

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 12:18 AM
link   
reply to post by C0bzz

EXCELLENT post.

Thank you. Great info with sources.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Ithink they made a wise decision.

TextPhilippines to suspend plans of completing country's 1st nuke plant after Japan nuclear crisis at Fukushima - official #fukushima

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 12:23 AM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

When a meltdown and explosion happens, pretty much everything that was in the core is released into the fallout, right? So if we had the worst happen with #3, plutonium would definitely be in the fallout, as well as everything else it contained?

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by GullibleUnderlord

The most likely failure scenario involves the molten fuel burning through the reactor vessel, spilling onto the containment floor, and spreading until it contacts and breeches the steel containment-vessel wall.

Dam.

And with all that heat and pressure, what do you think will happen when that breech in the bottom of the steel containment vessel wall occurs? I think that's what has already happened and why we saw a large metal structure launch like a rocket out of the building.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 12:24 AM
link   
It's interesting that according to the study I linked, the probability of a large early containment failure conditional on core damage for a BWR with the mk-1 containment (Fukushima) was 41.77%, whereas for a typical Pressurized Water Reactor (Three Mile Island) the chance is 0.25%.
edit on 14/3/11 by C0bzz because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 12:28 AM
link   
Russian news reporting 15 people have already been admitted for radiation exposure.

en.rian.ru...

I just got done listening to "Voice to America" with Tony Famino (sp?), a radio program in Az on KTAR. During his segment covering the quake, the caller reporter from Japan (a local) said he felt the government was covering something up about the radiation.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 12:32 AM
link   

Textthe caller reporter from Japan (a local) said he felt the government was covering something up about the radiation.

I wouldn't doubt that is true ! i'm sure the reports of contaminated
people and areas will start to pour in , but the official story will still
be the same no breach . What you wanna bet.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 12:32 AM
link   
reply to post by GullibleUnderlord

OK, one at a time...

It's not the half-life, but the energy of the emissions that makes a particular isotope dangerous. Cesium emits beta particles just like iodine-131, but the particles emitted have much less energy. The half-life just tells us how long it will take for half of a certain amount of an isotope to decay, i.e. how long it lasts.

My response on what states might be affected first.

That map is a hoax.

To Japan, this is extremely serious. Every time they vent the reactors, they release radiation. If they don't vent the reactors, they risk releasing all of the radiation inside if they crack from the pressure. Any radiation they emit is immediately exposed to the population with no time for it to dissipate or decay. So far, they are doing the best they can, and considering what caused all this, a pretty darn good job IMO!

To the US, this is a concern but not a problem at this point. If, and this is a big, huge, monstrous if, there is a complete reactor breach, it is possible for the Jet Stream to transport the radioactive materials to the US West Coast. The primary problem should this happen would be the neutron radiation from the uranium (and any plutonium), as the energetic neutrons will bond with the hydrogen in water molecules, forming heavy water that would fall as radioactive rain. Other types of radiation would either dissipate or decay and thus not be a major problem (with the possible exception of plutonium... I am not up to date on MOX). But again, this is a worst-case scenario which does not appear to be happening!

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 12:34 AM
link   
reply to post by 00nunya00

If there was a core breach... yes.

But I repeat, there is no core breach.

There is a bedtime, though, and I am past it. I'll be back tomorrow, and don't worry: we'll all still be here to see it.

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 12:38 AM
link   

Here's a pretty good MOX site...

"The dangers and risks of the use of mixed oxide fuel"

Source www10.antenna.nl...://www10.antenna.nl/wise/469-470/index.html

Ektar

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 12:40 AM
link   

Totally, core breach. I'm still running with "unlikely" because it makes me feel better, but good to know what we would deal with if it happened. I really only trust what we can verify with our eyes-----building damage, resident health, etc. All these assurances of safety from TEPCO and the like give me no certainty; they have too much of a vested stake and dodgy track record.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 12:40 AM
link   
Radiation Poisoning? Japan Fukushima nuclear crisis explained http://(link tracking not allowed)/dWq57K #fukushima #japan #news

nevermind i forgot rt links do not work
edit on 14-3-2011 by GullibleUnderlord because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 12:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Ektar

Link broken. Try: MOX

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 12:42 AM
link   
Franky, all I want right now is for an independent study of current contamination levels - no more loaded press releases from the Ministry of This, the Government of That, or the Corporation of Vested Interests.

Does anybody know of people who are roaming around Japan with Geiger counters? Any news outside of "official" press releases that can verify contamination levels? I don't think it's responsible or safe for the people overseeing the situation to downplay everything, especially because it seems like they actually don't know what's going on.

Don't trust the people who might be trying to avoid lawsuits - of course they're going to deny or downplay everything.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 12:46 AM
link   
2 plant explodes live feeds
www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 12:47 AM
link   

thanks hopefully worst case stays just that and not reality

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 12:55 AM
link   
Official death toll in Japan earthquake-tsunami jumps to 1,800 #japan #tsunami #earthquake #news

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 12:56 AM
link   
Here's a picture of the second reactor explosion from Al Jazeera that gives a better view of how much material is in the air:

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 12:59 AM
link   
reply to post by pforkp

thanks for that picture , it will be even worse when the wind direction
changes.

top topics

<< 55  56  57    59  60  61 >>

join