It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 577.htm
<< 574  575  576    578  579  580 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Operation Tomodachi

Some good news from Col. Stephen Bissonnette, deputy commander of the 353rd SOG:

As part of coordinated relief efforts, the group will work tirelessly with our Japanese counterparts and other relief organizations to help the people affected by the earthquake recover...

The Wikipedia article on Operation Tomodachi has more information on the relief effort.

On 4 April 2011, Japan's minister of defense, Toshimi Kitazawa, accompanied by US ambassador to Japan John Roos, visited the Ronald Reagan to thank its crew for its assistance as part of Operation Tomodachi. Said Kitazawa, "I have never been more encouraged by and proud of the fact that the United States is our ally."

edit on 6-4-2011 by Chakotay because: CLASSIFIED

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   
So here's my 2 comments regarding food storage/stockpiling:

1. My neighbors and family know I coupon and have about (conservative estimate) about 3 months food and water supply. How will I say no when they come asking??? Sigh.

2. At some point I will have to replenish what has been used --- and how will I know that THAT food wasn't contaminated at some point in the packaging process?

I think EVERY person/family needs to have stockpile of basic canned food/water, but most will not. Is that somehow going to bite my butt? I'm thinking so.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by rbrtj
reply to post by windwaker

All this talk of food is making me hungry

*cough* Sushi? *cough*

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Think I would be a little more concerned about the Reagan. If my memory is correct, it was the ship that ended up with, what, 17 sailors contaminated? I have a hard time believing that only 17 were contaminated, but who am I to judge?

If they sailed through a plume, or cloud of radioactivity, then you can expect the vent plenums and their associated ducting will be contaminated as well. So would all of the spaces those vent systems supply unless they are filtered somewhere along the line.

Also, if they had the misfortune of sailing through a batch of contaminated sea water, you could expect all of the systems that use sea water for cooling and lubrication will also be potentially contaminated.....not just the sea water sides of the condensers.

That ship needs a thorough system by system series of contamination surveys to bound the problem because many systems that one would not even consider needing radiological controls, under normal circumstances, may end up needing those controls due to this disaster.

Hopefully, the fact they high tailed it once the radioactivity was detected will keep the problem to a minimum, and the concerns I voiced above will not be an issue for the sailors and those who have to service the ship between deployments.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by windwaker

Like I said, it's not necessary to completely shield your crops from the fallout. Fertilizing well is extremely effective at preventing uptake, as well as conditioning the soil with clay or peat or sand, depending. Much better than depending on Walmart to choose safe food. But this is kind of getting into an agricultural debate that maybe is better for the "Discussion on preventing radioactivity in food" thread (or whatever it's titled).

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrbillshow
Obviously my post above was tongue in cheek but many of the comments hit pretty close to home and aren't so much funny as they are catastrophic.

A little ELE nee gallows humor never hurt anyone!

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by sameoldsameold

Kind of makes you have mixed feelings about how well the government can cover up this food threat, eh? If people were really aware of how much you start getting when combining tap water, fresh produce, and top it all off with dairy and meat products, they would probably be asking a lot more questions than they are. But so long as the levels in all of those things individually are "not an immediate concern" then they'll keep watching TV instead.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by notsofunnyguy

Originally posted by mrbillshow
Obviously my post above was tongue in cheek but many of the comments hit pretty close to home and aren't so much funny as they are catastrophic.

A little ELE nee gallows humor never hurt anyone!

After all the earth shattering discussion the last few days about air vents with legs, bathroom nightlights and ghost steam thingys, I thought a little levity might be in order.

Hope I didn't offend anyone.

Archer.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Hugues de Payens

The sad part is USS Ronald Reagan was operating off the coast of Fukushima when #3 blew. The wind direction blew straight out of the west. If ongoing flight ops were in session, the ship would have been heading right into a radioactive cloud by heading into the wind. Without any prior warning, it is doubtful they had set material condition zebra before alarms would have sounded. A ship that size normally takes 11 to 12 minutes to lock down all hatches, and ventilation systems. 17 souls would be a conservative estimate in my book. 15 minutes later the entire battlegroup relocated. But was it in time? The plume projection for that day followed the coast line to the W and NE.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Ex-governor blasts Tepco's cozy ties

Sato, who served five terms from 1988 to 2006, said the inappropriate relationship between government bureaus and the utility often resulted in them burying major troubles, including cracks in reactors and safety shortcomings at Tepco's two nuclear plants in the prefecture.

"Their improper bond means that no one was keeping an eye on Tepco," Sato, 71, said, adding it ultimately led to the inadequate preparations for the March 11 disaster.

The first hint Sato had of inept supervision at the nuclear plants was in January 1989. Tepco, despite being aware for weeks that one of the reactor coolant pumps at the Fukushima No. 2 nuclear plant was malfunctioning, did not report the trouble to prefectural authorities.

Sato said he quickly filed a complaint with the old Ministry of International Trade and Industry over a development he felt endangered the public. But Tepco only received a slap on the wrist and the power plant was back up and running after a temporary shutdown.

"That's when I learned that METI, NISA and Tepco were all part of the same gang," Sato said, adding this prompted him to set up an office in the prefectural government to handle tips from insiders regarding the nuclear plants.

link
Is anyone even surprised by this?
edit on 6-4-2011 by MedievalGhost because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   
www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5i10LpfPfzBOBS6lZ7BozS7sfgucw

London downgrades Tokyo travel warning

(AFP) – 2 hours ago

LONDON — London Wednesday downgraded its warning over travel to Tokyo but advised its citizens against visiting northeastern Japan following last month's earthquake and crisis at the Fukushima nuclear plant.

"We no longer advise against non-essential travel to Tokyo," a statement from the Foreign Office (FCO) said.

"However, we continue to advise against all non-essential travel to those areas north east of Tokyo," it added.

The decision was taken on Tuesday on the recommendation of John Beddington, the government's chief scientific advisor.

(...)

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by edball40

I'm sure they had no warning until an APD went off somewhere, and when that happens it's more a limiting excersise than that of prevention. Thus my skepticism about the number of sailors contaminated.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by jjjtir
www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5i10LpfPfzBOBS6lZ7BozS7sfgucw

London downgrades Tokyo travel warning

(AFP) – 2 hours ago

LONDON — London Wednesday downgraded its warning over travel to Tokyo but advised its citizens against visiting northeastern Japan following last month's earthquake and crisis at the Fukushima nuclear plant.

"We no longer advise against non-essential travel to Tokyo," a statement from the Foreign Office (FCO) said.

"However, we continue to advise against all non-essential travel to those areas north east of Tokyo," it added.

The decision was taken on Tuesday on the recommendation of John Beddington, the government's chief scientific advisor.

(...)

Ah well good to know...crisis over...crisis averted! Whew that was quite nerve wracking. I am glad the reactors have been brought under control and the radioactive contamination has been controlled and we can get back to a sense of normalcy and start to rebuild...I feel better now...like it didn't happen almost...what a relief...

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by MedievalGhost

It looks like Japan Times has pulled that article, why am I not surprised...

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Tworide

missing last L in html(htm).

adding L it works.

search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/nn20110407a5.html

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by makeitso

Unfortunately it would appear the web cam has finally been undone as a tool as either they are noising up the image on purpose , faking it, or severely increasing the compression so as to hide anything in the low light images. could just be radiation bursts though

edit on 6-4-2011 by Silverlok because: radinotcool

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Tworide

edit on 6-4-2011 by xfooln because: duplicated while posting

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 07:29 PM
link   
is it possible that they are actually waiting for all 6 reactors to fully melt down? I think they are only trying to save the spent fuel rods

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by SDoradus

Originally posted by Silverlok

Originally posted by SDoradus

Originally posted by SFA437
reply to post by TheRedneck

I did say everything but the core- especially with the release of the fact there's spent fuel rods strewn about the landscape and nearby ocean like a set of Lincoln Logs.

I still think that large falling object was the secondary containment lid or the RPV lid which means (to me anyway) the corium hit a flooded basement, the water flashed into steam and blew back upwards through the containment structure.

I don't know I've been looking in the pictures for the crane of the #3 building. It's not on the south side, it's not on the north side, it could be in the middle of the building. Or that hole in the roof of the turbine building may contain parts of it.

It's a pretty big piece of equipment to misplace.

I've posted it a couple of times but the size co-incidence is just too much to be ignored:

thats the cap at scale cut from it's resting place in the picture of reactor #4(so we have something that would have been exactly like the # 3cap) and dropped in the hole on the turbine roof , a dime against a doughnut say the other hole is the primary cap
edit on 6-4-2011 by Silverlok because: 1,2,5, no 3 sir 3

Hmm, could be. I've looked in the hole and tried to enhance it but can't get any detail out of it and nothing that proved the reactor lid had dropped there. But, as I'm fond of saying everything has to be somewhere.

Tepco knows what fell through the roof. I'd like their take on it. Heard anything else about the press conference where they take questions? I'd like this to be one of those questions.

I'm still missing the number 3 building crane. If it's still in the reactor building it would have to be in the middle. If it's in the middle and then it should have been blown through the roof by by the size of that massive explosion. I'd really like to track it down.

I brought this up a few hundred pages ago (:wow
counting pages and not days, and I am still of the mind that it was the supports from the reactor building going across the roof of the turbine building and on to the ground. I think one went through the roof, tearing the jagged hole on its way down.
I copied the blocks and pasted them where it seems they went off or through the turbine room roof, and highlighted the pathes and debris fields from them going off.
I could still be wrong, but the hole had a strange straight edge on the reactor side that lookes an awfull lot like the support.
Have a look and decide for yourself.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Silverlok
reply to post by kismetphayze

In timedelay threadtransit mode but:

the odd 'box' is cause by a slightly off center portion of the picture being just a bit lighter than pure blck around the bright spot , it is almost certainly scattering from the original light source and indicates that the light is pointed almost directly at teh web cam ( but a bit , from our perspective left )

(bicubic enlarge200% and color and lightness saturation)

The little rectangles are normal compression artifacts from a nearly uniform dark source but the light and it's 'bloom' are quite evident..if they faked it it's a really exceptional job for the level of competence we've seen at tempco .

Okay, now I'm really late at responding too, but thanks for clarifying. I figured there was a reasonable explanation.

new topics

top topics

<< 574  575  576    578  579  580 >>

join