It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 576.htm
<< 573  574  575    577  578  579 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

It was discussed on Seattle news that it was leaving to avoid getting contaminated, but that was the extent of the story.
It is what perked my ears up and got me to look for information and foind this thread.
The George Washington is suppose to be Home now in Bremerton.
I was totally amazed at how fast it came and am not aware yet that even dropped off the air wing in California as SOP.
I will look into asap.
rbrrtj

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   
A while back we were discussing the pipe alongside #3 being moved and why they might have done it.

Fuel rod maybe? The report says bulldozed and a bulldozer would definitely have the oomph to move that pipe.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by SFA437

I didn't see tracks , but if you compare the photos some of the debris was picked up and taken somewhere else , and you can see kind of a trail around and back to the thing that teh pipes connect to .

I though matbe fire fighters tried to get in but it DOES look like someone was on cleanup detail around #3 and they moved that pipe to get under and then around it

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by rbrtj
reply to post by zorgon

It was discussed on Seattle news that it was leaving to avoid getting contaminated, but that was the extent of the story.
It is what perked my ears up and got me to look for information and foind this thread.
I was totally amazed at how fast it came and am not aware yet that even dropped off the air wing in California as SOP.
I will look into asap.
rbrrtj

heres link to the Kitsap Sun
www.kitsapsun.com...
www.navy.mil...
edit on 6-4-2011 by rbrtj because: miss linked

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Seems like marine nukes do have a bit of bother if they get into hot spots:

Reactors used in nuclear marine propulsion (especially nuclear submarines) often cannot be run at continuous power around the clock in the same way that land-based power reactors are normally run, and in addition often need to have a very long core life without refueling. For this reason many designs use highly enriched uranium but incorporate burnable neutron poison directly into the fuel rods. This allows the reactor to be constructed with a high excess of fissionable material, which is nevertheless made relatively more safe early in the reactor's fuel burn-cycle by the presence of the neutron-absorbing material which is later replaced by naturally produced long-lived neutron poisons (far longer-lived than xenon-135) which gradually accumulate over the fuel load's operating life.

but I do not understand poisons you say , thank wiki when they ask for money, and this may also shed light on when the rods in each of the reactors went from rods to clumps of disaster

Most types of reactors are sensitive to a process variously known as xenon poisoning, or the iodine pit. Xenon-135 is normally produced in the fission process, and acts as a neutron absorbing "neutron poison", which acts to shut the reactor down, but can be controlled in turn within the reactor by keeping neutron and power levels high enough to destroy it as fast as it is produced. The normal fission process also produces iodine-135, which in turn decays with a half life of under seven hours, to new xenon-135. Thus, if the reactor is shut down, iodine-135 in the reactor continues to decay to xenon-135, to the point that the new xenon-135 from this source ("xenon poisoning") makes re-starting the reactor more difficult, for a day or two, than when first shut down (this temporary state is the "iodine pit.") If the reactor has sufficient extra capacity, it can still be re-started before the iodine-135 and xenon-135 decay, but as the extra xenon-135 is "burned off" by transmuting it to xenon-136 (not a neutron poison), within a few hours the reactor may become unstable as a result of such a "xenon burnoff (power) transient," and then rapidly become overheated, unless control rods are reinserted in order to replace the neutron absorption of the lost xenon-135. Failure to properly follow such a procedure, was a key step in the Chernobyl disaster.

read it before wiki mutates ;-)

edit on 6-4-2011 by Silverlok because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-4-2011 by Silverlok because: bold is good

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Silverlok

The USS George Washington status reported here. This was followed by reporting that U.S. military to withdraw from post-quake Japan relief in mid-April. But I failed to find official DOD announcements to confirm that.

I can't speak for nuclear ships, with regards to their water distillation plants, but the conventional ships utilizing the boiler systems do indeed take water from the seas to make fresh water for showers, preparation of food, laundry services, and freshwater washdown systems. In addition they would provide distilled feedwater to their boilers to generate steam to drive the turbines for electricity and propulsion.

As for chill water, you're absolutely correct. Only exception would be in the Persian Gulf where the water temperature was so hot we could not make chilled water to cool our electronic equipment. Daily temperatures in the work spaces there was 95F or higher.

Contamination is a major issue with ships, as the radiation adhers to paint. Not only on aircraft, but ships as well. But more importantly fan room intakes would have absorbed the radiation from the outside and spread it throughout the ship in their a/c ducting system if they failed to set material condition zebra which would have secured all ventilation, hatches, and evap systems. A very costly decontamination would be in store as a result.

The USS Ronald Reagan activated their fresh water washdown system on March 22 and 23 2011.

Radioman Chief Petty Officer Surface Warfare qualified, USN, Ret 1976-1997.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   
I believe that all topics about Japan have dropped off of the Drudge report. If they can't find any news they have nothing to link to.

So move along everybody there is nothing to see here anymore

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Procharmo

But make sure you have a green house. Radioactive rain can't grow nice veggies whether it's a suburban garden or an urban window box.!

Actually, it's not absolutely necessary to shield them from the fallout, so long as you're washing them off before eating. If you thoroughly fertilize your soil with potassium, calcium, and all the other nutrients they need, they uptake anywhere from 4-40 times less cesium, strontium and other radionuclides than doing nothing to the soil. Greenhouses are great, but the size you would need to feed a family of 3 or 4 would be bigger than most people can get in their yards, or are willing to. Growing open-air well-fertilized produce is much much better than eating the who-knows-from-where produce from the store.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by okiecowboy

Gravy. Less i-131, yay! More cesium 134 and 137.............here we go. Those cows aren't getting it from breathing, I can assure you.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by 00nunya00

After news of Fukushima came out I was quickly informed that sushi fish does not come from Japan. This does not change my current lack of appetite for it, and I use to eat sushi at least twice a week.

You are right about our inability to grow our own food. I spent hours trying to figure out how I would handle the new crops of vegetables that would be grown in radioactive soil and shipped to the city for consumption. My plan is to not eat fresh vegetables. it's the only thing I can think of doing that will protect me from radiation in food...which means I will only eat processed foods until the end of this ("this" being the end of the radiation threat or live as we know it on Planet Earth.)

Many New Yorkers dont shop for food, just like people in Tokyo, so if good supplies become tainted or dwindle we are out of luck. I am buying as much canned foods and non-perishable items as possible. I'll be able to hold out for half a year before I will have to hit the road.

But lets be real, Fukushima isn't going to be fixed any time soon and as dutchsinse reported, background levels of radiation across the globe are slowly and steadily increasing. If this keeps up for a couple of more months I believe most big cities will lose large amounts of their populations.

Feels like the end.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by windwaker

Exactly. Very wise to stock the canned goods, as you gotta get what was grown before the fallout came. Man, especially with the prices in NYC, that has to really hurt the wallet. And it's not like most NY homes are gushing with storage space. But you've bought yourself time to decide what to do before you're dependent on anyone else for your next meal. That puts you at +5 off the bat.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Procharmo

But make sure you have a green house. Radioactive rain can't grow nice veggies whether it's a suburban garden or an urban window box.!

Indeed, as of a couple weeks ago "low" levels of radioactive iodine allegedly from Fukushima were already being found by the Illinois Emergency Management Agency in grass clippings in Joliet, Illinois. Joliet is a suburb of Chicago. Illinois also grows huge amounts of corn, soybeans, and other crops.

Source: Illinois Emergency Management Agency (IEMA)
IEMA Detects Radioactive Material from Japanese Reactor in Air, Grass Samples

Minute levels of radioactive materials believed to be related to the troubled Fukushima nuclear power reactors in Japan have been detected by the Illinois Emergency Management Agency (IEMA). Radioactive iodine was found in grass clippings collected in Will County and in an air sample collected at IEMA’s radiochemistry lab in Springfield.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   
How to Decipher a Japanese Media Report

Work under way to prevent explosion at Fukushima reactor
TOKYO, April 6, Kyodo

"Tokyo Electric Power Co. on Wednesday started work to inject nitrogen into one of the reactors at the crippled Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power complex to reduce the potential risk of a hydrogen explosion, while it succeeded in stopping highly radioactive water leaking into the Pacific Ocean from the plant earlier in the day."

A hydrogen explosion is imminent. We did not succeed in stopping radioactive water leaking into the Pacific Ocean but put on a pretty good show! Did you see our reps apologizing then breaking down and crying! CLASSIC! I mean, who wasn't moved by that?

"Nitrogen, an inert gas, will be injected into the No. 1 reactor's containment vessel from around 1 a.m. Thursday, a process that could take several days. Hidehiko Nishiyama, a spokesman for the government's Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency, denied during a morning press conference that there is an ''immediate danger'' of explosion."

Look forward to a 2-3 day dog and pony show as we embark on another useless but crowd pleasing video expose to take attention off the fact our reactors are melting down and in runaway fission reactions.

"In addition to the task of maintaining the relative stability of all six reactors at the nuclear complex in Fukushima Prefecture, the utility firm known as TEPCO has also been engaged in efforts to stop highly radioactive water from leaking into the sea and cleaning up contaminated water within the plant."

Portraying our efforts as maintaining anything is a ruse and our efforts to stem the leakage into the sea have failed.

"At 5:38 a.m. Wednesday, highly contaminated water, which had been confirmed as leaking into the sea from around a cracked pit located near the No. 2 reactor water intake on Saturday, stopped flowing after TEPCO injected around 6,000 liters of chemical agents including sodium silicate, known as ''water glass.''"

Contradicting our statements from yesterday that the leakage was occuring in the gravel layer below the pit, not from an overflow hole that obviously has been in use for years as indicated by the rust stains below the spout..

"Nishiyama told a press conference in the afternoon that so far no further leakage has been detected from the pit. But there is a possibility that the water, which has lost an outlet, could show up from other areas of the plant."

We really have no idea where the leakage is coming from and frankly, we don't care. We got 6 nuclear bombs about to go off, why should we care about a few thousand tons of nuclear material escaping into the ocean? For all practical purposes we have been using the ocean as our liquid landfill. What is the PM going to do, send us another tersely worded yet polite letter? Hahaha!

"The highly radioactive water is believed to have come from the No. 2 reactor core, where fuel rods have partially melted, and ended up in the pit. The pit is connected to the No. 2 reactor turbine building and an underground trench connected to the building, both of which were found to be filled with highly contaminated water."

The #2 reactor core is cracked, the fuel rods melting down and we got water everywhere.

"To make room to store the highly radioactive water that is hampering the plant's restoration work, TEPCO continued to dump into the sea massive amounts of low-level contaminated water from inside a nuclear waste disposal facility at the site as well as contaminated groundwater found from around the Nos. 5 and 6 unit buildings."

Ooops, the spent fuel pools in 5&6 are compromised and the radiated water is leaking into the reacor chamber and then to the groundwater. Did we mention that before? Sorry...

"TEPCO is aiming to dispose of a total of about 10,000 tons of low-level contaminated water into the sea by this weekend, a move which has sparked concern among neighboring countries and strong protests from the domestic fishing industry."

"I know we said it was already done but dumping 10k tons of instant death takes time. We got our own problems here, frak the fisherman and the rest of the world.

"After opening up the disposal facility, which can accommodate 30,000 tons of liquid, some repair work is expected to take place for about a week to ensure that the facility can retain highly radioactive water safely without fear of the stored liquid leaking outside."

After dumping radiated cooling water from the holding tanks into the ocean, the seiverts of which we won't disclose, we will spend a week on another dog and pony show which will captivate our audience but serve the useful purpose of diverting attention from the fact our reactors may explode and shower the world with deadly radioactive particulates...at any time.

""The plant's power grid and most of the emergency diesel generators were knocked out by the magnitude 9.0 earthquake and ensuing tsunami on March 11, resulting in the loss of many of the reactors' key cooling functions, partial melting of reactor cores and hydrogen explosions."

Blah, blah, blah, watch us pull a rabbit out of this hat!

"According to estimates by TEPCO announced Wednesday, 25 percent of the nuclear fuel rods have been damaged at the No. 3 reactor. The company earlier said that 70 percent of the No. 1 reactor's fuel rods and 30 percent of the No. 2 reactor's fuel rods have been damaged."

Which we've known all along but preferred to let you you know the extent of this catastrophe in small tidbits so as not to alarm anyone, particularly our investors asd stockholders.

"Nishiyama said past hydrogen explosions have likely occurred due to hydrogen accumulation caused by the reaction of melted fuel rods' zirconium with steam from the coolant water. But now there is concern that hydrogen could accumulate in the No. 1 reactor under a different process involving radiation-induced decomposition of water into hydrogen and oxygen."

More hydrogen explosions on the way.

"In announcing TEPCO's decision to inject nitrogen into the reactor's containment vessel, an operation approved by the government, the nuclear agency said that radioactive leaks are ''unlikely to significantly rise'' even if the pressure inside the vessel increases as a result of the injection."

Radioactive leaks are most certainly going to increase, but blame it on the Gubmint who "approved" this dumba ss and useless operation.

"Nishiyama said that he also expects nitrogen to be injected into the Nos. 2 and 3 reactors in the future."

Reactors 2&3 are frakked as well, soon to be 4,5 and 6.

"The utility has been pouring massive amounts of water into the reactors and their spent nuclear fuel pools as a stopgap measure to cool them down. But the measure is causing ''side effects,'' such as the detection of contaminated water in various parts of the nuclear complex and some leakage into the sea."

Ooopys. Of course we knew this would happen, where was all that water going to go? But since we fed it to you in small portions you won't gag on it all at once.

"A seawater sample taken near the No. 2 reactor water intake on Saturday showed a radioactive iodine-131 concentration of 7.5 million times the maximum level permitted under law, or about 300,000 becquerels per cubic centimeter."

Of course that 10 million reading we took last week was false..it was only 7.5...

"In the first case of contamination levels in seafood exceeding the maximum legal limit, radioactive cesium in excess of the set limit was detected in young sand lance caught Monday in the sea off the northern part of Ibaraki Prefecture."

The sand lance is a bottom dweller and radiation levels would be much lower than mid and topwater species. God forbid we give you the readings from the other 97 species of fish, clams and seaweed we harvest for national and international export.

"The National Federation of Fisheries Cooperatives Associations lodged a protest with TEPCO and the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry on Wednesday, saying the dumping of contaminated water into the sea without any prior consultation with fishermen was an ''outrage.''"

Frak 'em, they're not the boss of us!

"The group also called for the dumping of contaminated water and the leakage of highly polluted water from the plant to be halted so as to prevent Japan's fishing industry from ''perishing.''"

Hahahaha! Is that all they got? HALT! What are they, Sgt. Shultz?

"To prevent the already seriously contaminated seawater close to the plant from spreading further, TEPCO is planning to install ''silt fence'' barriers in the sea, such as near the No. 2 reactor water intake."

And for our next illusion, we will cut this beautiful Geisha in half right before your lying eyes!

==Kyodo

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   

You also got to remember that you are a caring human being, so your food supplies won't last as long as you think. Once the real news about the damage that has been done comes out into the open, all of the people who you care about who were either in denial or didn't prepare (friends, family, neighbors, etc.) will come to you for safe food and clean water. You won't be able to deny them, so a five month supply of food will quickly turn into a one month supply.

We'll have to take each day as it comes. Nothing will be guaranteed no matter how much you prepare.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   

All this talk of food is making me hungry

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Obviously my post above was tongue in cheek but many of the comments hit pretty close to home and aren't so much funny as they are catastrophic.

In all this Keystone Cops mess called Tepco, the one thing that has become abundantly clear...how useless, inept and castrated is the Japanese Government.

What a bunch of little girls in skirts. If this were to happen in the States, God forbid, asses would have been frying in the pan 2 weeks ago and people would be in charge that know what they're doing.

Or at least making the hard decisions, wherever those chips may fall.
edit on 6-4-2011 by mrbillshow because: more

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Absolutely! That is, indeed, a big factor, but it really depends on how much they let people freak out about it. I think they would be much more likely to just lie and say the food is fine, because really, what's the alternative? Mass chaos? 300,000,000 people freaking out because they know their food is packed with cesium? I don't think they'll let that happen easily. I think you'll see independent testing showing radiation levels far higher than the government's, but most people will either say "yeah, right Greenpeace, you hippies" or they'll say "well, what can we really do about it? I'm not going to live my life all paranoid."

I don't really anticipate anyone knocking on my door for food, because no one who's smart enough to do so knows I'm growing.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Silverlok
first off good call on this webcam image(good eye man):

several interesting things in it , if you have the originally sized one we can match it up :

No, I don't have the originals.
I can tell you how to replicate what I did though.
The glows were there last night and the night before, (their night, our early morning).
Go to the Fukushima web cam page. Look closely and move the page around, you will see the glow.
Change the view of your browser to zoom to the largest size, 3 - 400 %..
Do an alt + printscreen.
Open your picture editor
Paste

Change the mid-tones so the glow is more viewable
zoom more as needed
cut out the area with the glow, small enough to post here and paste it into a new image editor window.
Upload to ATS.
Thats all I did.

Bet its there again tomorrow morning, or if someone has an archive of the Fukushima web cam images, some analysis over time can be done.

Unfortunately I don't have the tools to do more than that, or relate it to how much radiation is being emitted.

edit on 4/6/11 by makeitso because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   

You must already have bags of soil in storage. What are you going to use for water to water the crops with?

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by rbrtj
reply to post by zorgon

I will look into asap.
rbrrtj

Washington is Far away from the west coast..its still in Japan area..just another area .. SASEBO ..

top topics

<< 573  574  575    577  578  579 >>

join