It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 562.htm
<< 559  560  561    563  564  565 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   
This is an interesting read from the NY Times....

The document also suggests that fragments or particles of nuclear fuel from spent fuel pools above the reactors were blown “up to one mile from the units,” and that pieces of highly radioactive material fell between two units and had to be “bulldozed over,” presumably to protect workers at the site. The ejection of nuclear material, which may have occurred during one of the earlier hydrogen explosions, may indicate more extensive damage to the extremely radioactive pools than previously disclosed.

Interesting in that this is the first I have heard this, quoted above...and in that NY Times sources are delusional. Not a surprise though.

www.nytimes.com...
edit on 5-4-2011 by odd1out because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by woodwytch

"But you are completely correct now I take in the perspective ... it would be far too big to be a body."

I don't think so...

Seriously, thanks for the laugh!

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by notsofunnyguy

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 10:02 PM
link   
IAEA states "situation very serious, we can not state 'business as usual' for the nuclear power industry"

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Here is a good option for the source of that light on the web cam, it's at 1:53 ,
this film also pulls double duty as it pretty clearly shows the pool level and below it blown out front and back

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Here's another little logical loop to call BS with.

They reported using some sort of white powder to track the leak with and that it didn't work. The only reason they would have used the powder anywhere in the first place is that they would have had evidence of fluid flow in the location suspected as being the source of the leak.

Since their leak tracing substance did not show up where they thoght it would, it must have went SOMEWHERE ELSE.

Indication of multiple leaks when reading through their smoke screen.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by jadedANDcynical

also the pic they used from Zorgon's post showed a solid red lower chamber , and our stain is missing, our crack appears to have been replaced with a fairly circular 'white' opening

edit on 5-4-2011 by Silverlok because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aponi
On one hand I'd like to say this is wonderful. On the other hand I'd like to know where the water is going to go now? I mean, they didn't have a place for it yesterday. Maybe today they will... Or are they giving up any idea of cooling with water now?

Not only that but they said they had 60,000 tons in the basements and dumped 11,500 tons into the see to make room for that in the tanks.. What do they plan to do with the 48,500 tons left over so they can get the workers into the building? For nuclear scientists they seem to have failed at basic math

:shk:

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Silverlok

Could be the source of the light, would have tk do some triangulation to be certain.

One thing that struck me is this. Aren't all of those firefighters wearing their NORMAL non-radiation proof fire fighter gear in the night shots?

Or are Japanese firefighting outer garments designed to be radiation proof as well as water/heat resistant?

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Arnie on CNN...

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   
I found this info about mox on the net, does this mean that all new or used fuel rods are mox rods?

MOX is an abbreviation for mixed uranium-plutonium oxide fuel, a form in which plutonium is used as fuel for the civilian reactors. From the dawn of the "Atoms for Peace" program, the ultimate objective was to close the nuclear fuel cycle. This means to separate plutonium from spent uranium fuel by reprocessing, fabricate into fuel, and burn it in fast breeder reactors (FBR), which would produce more plutonium than consumed. The plutonium created in the spent FBR fuel will be separated again by reprocessing, and the separated plutonium would be used as fuel again. Thus the fuel cycle would go round and round in a closed cycle.

In order to use up the plutonium already separated and the plutonium yet to be separated according to the contracts, the utilities decided to burn it in conventional light water reactors (LWR), namely the MOX program. Originally, this was meant to be a bridging program to fill the time and technical gap moving from LWRs into the plutonium economy which uses FBRs. However, now that the FBR projects have virtually collapsed, the MOX program has become the major part of the plutonium economy.

All nuclear fuel containing plutonium is MOX, including those for the FBRs, but "MOX Program" usually means utilization in LWRs. The difference is the component of the fuel. The content of plutonium for FBR fuels is in the range of 35%, whereas for LWRs, it is 4 to 6 %. (1)

Currently, France, Germany, Belgium, Switzerland, Netherlands, UK, and Japan are the countries involved in the MOX program. (Details of these programs will come in the next issue.)

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Silverlok
Here is a good option for the source of that light on the web cam, it's at 1:53 ,
this film also pulls double duty as it pretty clearly shows the pool level and below it blown out front and back

Nice Catch, I think you have uncovered the mystery of the Ghost Light!

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by hack2011

Hi and welcome to ATS, and the 'nuclear emergency' thread.

That information you posted appears to have oriniginated from this source.

www.cdi.org...

It is understood that only Fukushima Daiichi 3 was loaded with MOX fuel. Thankfully #3 did not operate with
MOX untill September 2010, as citizen groups had resisited.

Japanese citizen groups successfully resisted the use of MOX fuel at Fukushima-Daiichi for a decade. MOX fuel was not loaded into the reactor until August 21, 2010 and the reactor began operation on September 18, 2010. Consequently, all the MOX fuel remains in the core and none of it had yet been transferred to the unprotected fuel pool.

Last August, Beyond Nuclear’s radioactive waste watchdog, Kevin Kamps, was invited by Green Action Japan and their local Fukushima anti-nuclear environmental allies to travel to Fukushima specifically to speak about the risks of storing MOX high-level radioactive waste in storage pools.

“If the citizen groups had not been successful, there would have been a 33% load of MOX at Fukushima Daiichi 3 instead of the current 5% and there would have been MOX in the spent fuel pool,” said Kamps. “The activists have saved countless lives by preventing what might have been a worse disaster than is already taking place.”www.enewspf.com... tml

edit on 5-4-2011 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by woodwytch

shoot I thought the survivors had killed the green giant for his veggies and left his pale radiation stricken corpse to rot.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by IDBIT

I am not sure... #4's lid was off because they were doing maintenance on the reactor (all the rods were in the pool , the pool that is missing or dry), but I did find the rest of that night video, it is dated the 19th ( four or five days after #3 blew) so they might have been responding to #4 (that we do not to my knowledge have video of exploding) popping or burning... the scary interesting bit is at 4:03 all you hear is a choir of radiation alarms beeping...

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheLastStand
looks like they might be making a quick makeshift holding pool in order to safely hold the water for treatment before dumping. Those could be forms, but they are missing their panels.

ummm no... that was during construction. But they do look like limestone embankments in the background, and the rock chips in the foreground are gray, so likely limestone.

But digging a deep hole inland from the plant would have been a good idea

edit on 5-4-2011 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Procharmo
I did see a floating park to store the radiative water on it's way from Russia I think. It was on NHK. I didn't get a screen dump but it can hold a lot of water.

The floating park was from Japan... form Russia they requested a large treatment plant... but the barge story has vanished with the barges and the Russian floating decontamination plant is not big enough to handle the volume of water at Fukushima (and it is the biggest portable one on Earth)

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Keep in mind CBIRF teams are still inbound to Tokyo.

There was a TV show on tonight that had the CBIRF in it as a part of a fictitious nuclear detonation in Washington DC. The Marine (actual CBIRF Marine) stated quite clearly their core mission- to train for a worst case scenario and that they have no other duties or jobs other than constant training for operations in an NBC environment.

They aren't going in force to Fukushima and that in and of itself is very telling. Don't be fooled for a second that the world governments don't know exactly what is going on. They do and they are looking out for #1 and tossing the rest of us under the bus.

Not trying to sound all tinfoil hat but speaking as plainly as I can.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wertwog
Arnie on CNN...

Wow Arnie saying the 11,000 gallons was , 'not as important as the 7,000 gallons a days that have been leaking into the ocean for the past couple of weeks , and they were much more "Concentrated" radiation' , ends pretty abruptly after he says that...

go Arnie

and whatits from the IAEA, 'not business as usual' for the nuke industry, may be fukushima is starting to divide and conquer as cracks form in the ranks as the gallows hammers ring gets louder

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Fishermen affected by nuclear crisis must get compensation: Edano
TOKYO, April 6, Kyodo

Fishermen whose marine products have been affected by the release of radioactive particles from the tsunami-ravaged Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant should receive provisional compensation, Chief Cabinet Secretary Yukio Edano said Wednesday.

english.kyodonews.jp...

top topics

<< 559  560  561    563  564  565 >>

join