It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 547.htm
<< 544  545  546    548  549  550 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 03:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nucleardoom
reply to post by meathed

Thanks for your reply and your information. It is obvious from your post that the ground under and around fukushima has moved a considerable distance. Question one must ask ones self is, "how could these gaps be filled and the problem be fixed?", and answer i came up with was, IT CANT be fixed. Not unless we can find a really big can of gap fill. These reactors should have already been entombed.

Maybe a million cans of Great Stuff?
Expandable foam to save the day.
Sounds like Ineptco's next "great" idea.
At this point it wouldn't surprise me in the least if they did try something that asinine.

It is great stuff, that expanding foam.
We will have to watch for fluctuations on the gap filler price on the stock market to see if Tepco is buying up big.
As i agree, the scary thing is they may just try to use it.

edit on 5-4-2011 by meathed because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-4-2011 by meathed because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 03:35 AM
link   
Apologies if this has already been posted

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 03:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by sonnny1
reply to post by Noscible

I have a question for you. Are their websites in Japanese that are giving out different storys,then the Governments,or TEPCO's official ones ? One more.......Do you believe the Government and TEPCO are telling the Japanese people the truth? Thank you in advance.

Good question. Before I respond, I need to first provide a preface; I'm Japanese, but I don't speak a word of the language. I grew up in several countries when I was younger, and though I was exposed to the language (therefore I have some kind of receptive bilingualism) I never had the opportunity to keep up with it constantly (such as having a Japanese-speaking friend to regularly converse with). So, any report I provide regarding news in Japan will always be hearsay--being what my friends say, or what my father tells me. I do understand some of the words though, and can capture the general tone pretty well if that helps.

Now, that being said, I cannot personally determine if there are other websites in Japanese giving out different stories. I assume you mean alternative theories akin to those posted on sites and communities such as ATS. I am sure such sites and opinions exist, though I am unable to provide you with an example at the moment. I can see if I can get a friend to find some though, if you'd like.

In response to the second part of your question, I do believe that the Government in this particular situation is telling the truth, at least to the best of their ability. My reasoning for this is twofold: 1) the extraordinary international exposure of the incident, and basically forced international cooperation on the issue; 2) what the Government is generally reporting is what is being reported from TEPCO. You need to remember that TEPCO is not nationalized--it is not run by the Government.

Now, of course, TEPCO might not be telling the Government the whole story (which I think is a very real possibility, with some reservations based on my cultural understanding). But, I guess the point I want to make with 2) above is that if there is any adulteration of information being done during delivery, it is probably not being done by the Government. This does not mean, however, that the Japanese Government is some shining beacon of transparency and disclosure.

The Japanese government 'technique' for lying isn't to outright lie. Instead, what they do is to play a shell game with misdirection and obfuscation. Then they wrap the whole thing with bureaucratic red tape and bury it. Towards the end of last year, there was this incident where a Chinese fishing trawler collided with a Japanese Coast Guard ship. You can see this shell game in action with that incident.

This isn't isolated to the national government. Around the same time last year, there was also some issue with prosecutors in Osaka tampering with evidence.
JapanToday Article

What happened there was attorneys from a local prosecutor's office were caught basically fabricating evidence against suspects basically in outright violation of due process. This would be like a District Attorney in the U.S. fabricating evidence and inserting it into the record. There's checks and balances against this in the U.S., but for one reason or another, prosecutors in Japan aren't only tasked with prosecution, but with investigative duties as well.

But, going back to the Japanese technique for lying, as I mentioned, it's very sneaky. So you really have to scrutinize what is being said. It might not be an outright lie, but there is definitely selective omission of information--critical information. Thankfully, I guess, the government doesn't blatantly censor information like, say, China's government.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 04:03 AM
link   
Here goes the fishing industry... which was already destroyed by the tsunami...

Kyodo: One type of edible fish (ammodytidae) found in Ibaraki-ken with cesium exceeding legal limit.

Ibaraki-ken is South of the Fukushima prefecture. About 200 km... They should test all fishes... but they'll never do that.

And TEPCO is laughing at the Japanese people...

TEPCO is offering evacuees near the nuke plant a "payment for their trouble." It's not the official compensation, but a token payment.

Know what the payment is? 12$/person. This is like a big slap in the face.
edit on 5-4-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 04:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo

Kyodo: One type of edible fish (ammodytidae) found in Ibaraki-ken with cesium exceeding legal limit.

Ibaraki-ken is South of the Fukushima prefecture. About 200 km... They should test all fishes... but they'll never do that.

The fact that Ibaraki-Ken is 200 km south of Fukushima is very telling. It means my fear that the entire coastline is screwed. There's nothing left now. It's over.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 04:10 AM
link   

TEPCO is offering evacuees near the nuke plant a "payment for their trouble." It's not the official compensation, but a token payment.

"Here's a quarter, call someone who cares", TEPCO-style.

The one country I would never think of having a protest of any kind (especially violent) would be Japan.

But I'm beginning to re-think that thought.

edit on 5-4-2011 by notsofunnyguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 04:10 AM
link   

Are they for real?! Wow! That might be the most pathetic thing I've heard so far since this whole thing started, and that's saying a lot. How dare they offer a payment of $12 per person. Ughh..this pisses me off. Are they off their rockers?

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 04:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Noscible

Thanks for your reply and honesty,
However, TEPCO and the JAPANESE government arent telling the truth. They havent told the truth ever since the first day.
It is only because of web sites like ATS are we discovering just how bad the NUCLEAR DISASTER IS and how bad it WILL continue to be until these reactors are ENTOMBED.
So i will not be believing anything that any spokesman from TEPCO or the J/ government says, nor will i believe anyone that believes their lies.( No disrespect intendend)
You may want to swollow their lies, but i will not.

Peace.
Meathed

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 04:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by mikeybiznaz
reply to post by Silverlok

Question? how can EU have suck ratings when USA doesnt?

You are referring to the ZAMG northern hemisphere map? The reactors have been spewing steadily but have definite 'surge days' and that causes changes in the density and then the jet stream bends things every which way . so if the EU has suck numbers they were most like a couple of days ago numbers over teh US
in fact the West coast has been seeing BIG daytime surges and the entire US is getting painted according to these projections for Japan orthis one For xe-133 in north america ( at that site clicking on the little blue arrows on the right allows one to view different areas)
edit on 5-4-2011 by Silverlok because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 04:29 AM
link   
And cesium 137 will stay in fishes for 300 years. So... I guess the fishes off Japan are screwed basically ``forever`` in human terms.

Japan says no thanks to Korean nuclear experts help

Japan has refused proposed assistance from South Korean nuclear experts as it struggles to deal with the dangers of a possible nuclear power plant meltdown.

According to the Nuclear Safety Division at the Ministry of Education, Science and Technology, Korea expressed its will to send nuclear experts to assist Japan’s efforts to bring the crisis under control on March 18.

But Seoul received a message the following day saying that they did not need immediate assistance just yet.

``Japan appreciated our offer but it said only that it will make contact again if they need such assistance,’’ said a ministry official from the division.

You don't need it? HELL YOU NEED EVERYTHING THE WORLD CAN MUSTER.

Japanese arrogance pisses me off.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 04:39 AM
link   
reply to post by kismetphayze

$12 can't even buy you a bottle of kelp iodine pills. TEPCO should give each person at the very least $5000...the cost of a basic funeral.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 04:40 AM
link   
The situation is bad and when I see video of #3 exploding, all I see is the containment failing. Look at the velocity of that cloud and how directional it was. It goes directly up in the sky at a high velocity which to me, means what exploded was under immense pressure. It effectively came out of the barrel of a cannon. This is why all the efforts were on #3 as far as cooling and fire trucks went.

No matter what is told about this incident we are looking at a Level 7+++. Not a 6 or a 5 or a 6.5. Future generations of Japanese people are going to have to deal with this as well as the rest of the world.

Watch the videos...

edit on 5-4-2011 by TheRemedial because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 04:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by PhysicsAlive
Here's something I've been mulling over which simply doesn't add up. To be honest, I think it is an insult to the human race that TEPCO would think the general population would be this bad at basic arithmetic - but on the other hand, nobody out there seems to have noticed this yet

TEPCO is currently saying that they have about 60,000 tons of radioactive water to remove.

english.kyodonews.jp...

Now, they originally bragged that the wacky "super pumper" concrete pumping vehicle which they brought in to fill the used fuel pools could pump 3.8 tons of water per minute:

www.asahi.com...

Based on the fact that the satellite and other areal images of the site don't show any other vehicles anywhere near this size/scale present, and seem to only show this one vehicle spraying water into a single pool at a time, I'll guesstimate the total pump rate into the pools is probably about 4 tons per minute at any one time. Assuming they are running 24x7, this would be 5760 tons of water per day.

edit on 5-4-2011 by PhysicsAlive because: silly typos

For what it's worth, a big crane appeared towering over reactor unit 4 this afternoon:

As per webcam images.

Mendel
edit on 5-4-2011 by mendel101 because: smaller pic

edit on 5-4-2011 by mendel101 because: wrong date on pic

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 04:51 AM
link   

Advice on exposure to radiation arising from the nuclear accident in Japan - 5 April 2011: TIME: 1600 Advice for Australians remaining in Japan on food and water precautions, the availability and use of potassium iodide tablets and on appropriate sheltering from radiation if required have been provided by Australia's Chief Medical Officer and the Australian Radiation Protection and Nuclear Safety Agency (ARPANSA). Extensive advice on these new topics of concern, together with information for people returning from Japan and for use by GPs is contained on this website and is updated regularly. As a result of new assessments of the situation in Japan, ARPANSA and the Department of Health and Ageing recommended, as a precautionary measure, that Australians within an 80 km zone from the Fukushima nuclear power plant move out of the area. The US had made a similar recommendation in accordance with the standard guidelines of their Nuclear Regulatory Commission. Their guidelines would require a zone of 80 km (50 miles) around the Fukushima nuclear power plant. ARPANSA is closely following the safety issues surrounding the Fukushima Dai-ichi site and in particular the current status of the four reactor units and the spent fuel ponds at a number of the reactor units. ARPANSA notes that the Japanese Government has increased the International Nuclear and Radiological Events Scale (INES) rating for this event to INES Level 5 (an accident with wider consequences) for three of the reactor units. The ARPANSA modelling of airborne radioactive material released from Fukushima Dai-ichi predicts that for the next 36 hours (from Tuesday1600 AEST) the majority of any plumes of airborne radioactive material will predominately be pushed to south-east, east, or north-east directions out to sea. The modelling predicts that there is the possibility of landfall to the north of the Fukushima reactors. Landfall in the Tokyo area is unlikely. Australians returning home from Japan are highly unlikely to be contaminated or exposed to significant radiation and will not require checks for radioactivity. However, if people wish to seek medical advice they should contact their local GP. ARPANSA and the Chief Medical Officer advise that iodine tablets are only required when exposed to substantial radiation doses from radioactive iodine. There is no current need for those returning from Japan or those in Japan outside the Exclusion Zone to consider the use of potassium iodide tablets at this time. Discussions continue with medical organisations and state and territory health authorities on these issues. Further information will continue to be provided by the Australian Government as the situation develops. People reading this advice should also visit www.smarttraveller.gov.au and read the travel advice and the travel bulletin for Australians in or returning from Japan. Media contact: 02 6289 7400

ARPANSA (Australian Radiation Protection and Nuclear Safety Agency) issued these bulletins, above is the latest

Funny that.. I thought the potassium iodide tablets were issues BEFORE exposure...

My average dose for the last 4 days has been 19 microsieverts, pretty average. The peaks have been excessively high, 2.8 microsieverts, I have never detected those levels as background before.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 05:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone

Originally posted by crazydaisy
reply to post by Destinyone

Thank you for your reply - if you have a link for Toyota in Georgetown, Kentucky USA
that would be great. .I will look back and check the other links you left tomorrow.

I found a few pertinent links for you.

The Toyota spokesman explained the production delay to difficulty procuring sufficient electronics, rubber and resin in Japan. The Toyota facilities in Georgetown, Kentucky and Ontario manufacture the Camry and Avalon sedans and source about 75 percent of parts from North America.

www.dbune.com...

Tags: japan, kentucky, Toyota
Posted in Business | Written by: Mark Leevan
Toyota Shuts Down All Plants In Japan
Georgetown, Kentucky production curtailed due to possible parts shortage.
Mar 14 2011

www.indyposted.com...

Toyota said Monday that stopping some production in its US car plants was inevitable after Japan's earthquake...
Breitbart 2011-04-04

article.wn.com...

If you need more, just let me know.

Des
edit on 03/28/2011 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

This is a really brilliant post. It indicates lots of financial economic ramifications about to ripple their way through the global economy. I wonder if the worlds stock brokers are reading this thread yet?

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 05:35 AM
link   
reply to post by LilFox

As a result of new assessments of the situation in Japan, ARPANSA and the Department of Health and Ageing recommended, as a precautionary measure, that Australians within an 80 km zone from the Fukushima nuclear power plant move out of the area. The US had made a similar recommendation in accordance with the standard guidelines of their Nuclear Regulatory Commission. Their guidelines would require a zone of 80 km (50 miles) around the Fukushima nuclear power plant.

And while Australia and the US says 80km...

Japan says :
Despite UN recommendation, Japan will not widen evacuation zone

However, there were no plans to widen a 20-kilometre (12-mile) exclusion zone around the Fukushima plant despite the UN atomic watchdog saying radiation at Iitate village 40 kilometres away had reached evacuation levels.

Japanese government arrogance killing their own people.

Around Fukushima, they know.
Fukushima Pref. leaders say they can't see the light, they're in a dark tunnel. Hurting in every way imaginable.

#Japan Foreign Min. Matsumoto: #Fukushima radioactive water release does not violate int'l law; diplomatic corps informed beforehand.

Right... Even if you warn people, under the agreements signed by all countries, it's illegal to dump radioactive water in the ocean... and you know the ironic part? Japan wrote that international law, a ban to dump any nuclear waste in the ocean, and pushed for it to pass... in response to Russia getting caught dumping nuclear waste in the ocean in 93.

Japan sets new radiation safety level for seafood

The government set its first radiation safety standards for fish Tuesday after Japan’s tsunami-ravaged nuclear plant reported radioactive contamination in nearby seawater measuring at several million times the legal limit.

And more censorship of the truth and killing their own citizen...

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 05:46 AM
link   
This has gotten beyond ridiculous, WHEN are they going to tell the truth.

Japanese are so proud, I remember in a culture class our teacher told us that Japanese NEVER admit somethings wrong unless it's discovered ... so I'm guessing no time soon ...

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 05:59 AM
link   
reply to post by xxcatcatcatxx

It is discovered as it is right in front of your face. Just look at the unit #3 video and think for just a moment what could cause an explosion like that. Compare it to #1, if you have had fun with hydrogen as a youth then you notice the similarities in explosions. It exploded almost evenly in all directions if you watch closely. This is not the case with #3 which is directional...The only thing in that building that I can imagine which would be able to direct that blast upwards at such a velocity is the core containment structures.

It popped. We are are all in it up to our eyeballs and it's going to be a game changer for all our lives.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 06:02 AM
link   
On the ticker on NHK it says they have now injected liquid glass into the pit to try and stop the leak.

www3.nhk.or.jp...

TEPCO starts injecting agent to stop leakage The operator of the crisis-hit Fukushima nuclear plant has injected a hardening agent beneath a leaking concrete pit in a bid to stem the flow of highly radioactive water into the sea. Tokyo Electric Power Company started infusing liquid glass into gravel below the pit near the Number 2 reactor at 3 PM on Tuesday. TEPCO spotted a crack in the pit 3 days ago while trying to find the source of the leakage of contaminated water into the Pacific Ocean. Since then, the utility has tried in vein to seal the pit with concrete, or to plug piping leading into it with a polymer mixture. A test using a dye agent showed the possibility that the radioactive water is leaking from a cracked pipe, and then seeping through gravel into the concrete pit. TEPCO is planning to board up the breached sections of an offshore dike to prevent the tainted water from spreading further into the sea. It is also considering building underwater silt barriers at 3 locations, including one near a water intake for the Number 2 reactor. Tuesday, April 05, 2011 18:57 +0900 (JST)

NHK

Sorry if already posted and thank you to everyone who keeps this thread updated

edit on 5/4/11 by MissTiger because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 06:29 AM
link   
Two new videos.

One high res stabilized fly over and a post tsunami pre explosion aerial view of the plant.

[yvid]

top topics

<< 544  545  546    548  549  550 >>

join