It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 532.htm
<< 529  530  531    533  534  535 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by 00nunya00

Just downloaded the photos a little while ago- was working off your cropped one. I agree that crane is pretty effed up but the rest of my statement I'll back.

That pipe was moved but not by explosive or quake forces. The small section of pipe was undisturbed as well as the whole area around the pipe being cleaned up. Good catch on noticing the pipe getting moved in the first place!!

I'll be digging through the photos here after dinner and see what I can see.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   
OK caught up and want to see if my daily summary is complete...

TEPCO to set up silt filters at the seawater ducts to prevent radiation from reaching the ocean...

Now how the hell do they expect a glorified coffee filter to trap single individual atoms of iodine, cesium and the rest of the "iums"??? Nothing but spin, half-truth and outright lies from start to finish. What galls the hell out of me is nobody even THINKS to question such ridiculous statements or even allows what is being said to sink in before parroting it off as a panacea for 4 crippled, broken, radiation spewing reactors!

They've poured concrete willy-nilly into a trench, packed another one full of absorbent silicates (diaper lining) and even tried the high tech solution of hamster litter and the equivalent of paper machie'. I am firmly convinced this is the work of Douglas Adams- nothing this #ing stupid could be happening in real life!!!

Oh yeah- the fish in the vicinity are now radioactive. 4000/Bq of iodine measured in a local fish species. According to NISA no need to worry. The fish are totally safe. They were just exposed to by-products of process that are themselves perfectly safe.

NISA and TEPCO have also finally copped to rad levels being higher than what has been officially reported and certain areas further out than 30km should be under the"stay indoors and starve" designation.

I would be laughing if this whole thing wasn't so sad.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by SFA437

Yep, I just verified the other poster's correct----they were taken on different days, about 4 days apart. Makes a lot more sense now. But it was moved *towards* the building.....weird, but whatever. I'm cool with it now.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by SFA437

Sweet Pea...I nominate your post as "the most accurate assessment of the situation" post of the day.

Yes, I'm Southern...

Des

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   
I agree with you SFA437.

quoting myself from another thread.

What is going to happen is this entire area is going under "active management" of for the foreseeable future.

And with how freakin' well they are doing it right now, I don't have much confidence in their brilliance at it.

If the plan for how to deal with this had already been in place, THEN I think the Japanese would have excelled at it.

But since it didn't, everyone is expecting them to show an insane amount of innovative brilliance in the face of destruction. Innovative out-of-the-box brilliance isn't their strong suit at the best of times. And this isn't the best of times.

Stuffing NEWSPAPER into cracks in the ground isn't exactly the height of brilliance and due diligence in the face of an overwhelming problem.

Just going on living with it while keeping your mouth shut about it is FAR more likely. The cause of your suffering, is your suffering. Get over it.

Japanese culture needs to be taken into consideration here - and in Asia, hero stories don't end with people riding off into the sunset. Asian hero stories end with the hero dying while overcoming only part of a problem and dying of the problem which continues to go on forever.

Entombment isn't a long term solution here. The coast line is LITERALLY dropping into the ocean. Another shaker, and it is possible the damn thing is going to be underwater. Then managing it is going to get worse.

I need to amend this - the INDIVIDUAL heros actually out doing this work are heros, regardless.

I fault them not at all for what they are doing. I don't think the international and company resources are living up to their side of this. When your workers are working with these resources to stop a freakin' disaster....well, that's just not okay.

I believe these people are working their butts literally too death, and their leaders take for granted - politely with many verbal kudos - that that is what they should do.

"Live with it and don't be inconvenient" attitude from the top is NOT ACCEPTABLE.
edit on 2011/4/4 by Aeons because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
What gets me is that there is no attempt by anyone other than us to actually sift through the BS and find the nuggets of truth.

They keep repeating iodine levels in fish and saying it is no long term risk but ignore the presence of cesium which is not eliminated easily and sticks around for 30 years. Those fish are going to be hot for a long, long time and anything that eats those fish (bigger fish for example) will ingest not only the cesium in the water but the concentrated cesium in the smaller fish....

Then we have the silt filter supposedly to strain out individual atoms if you believe the news release. Why not say "We're setting this up to keep all the corium fragments, bits of poolium and assorted highly irradiated debris from washing out and settling just offshore"? Nobody would fault them for saying this and it makes sense, unlike the official party line.

Every day that goes by I think my contempt for TEPCO executives has hit record highs and my opinion of them has hit rock bottom. Every morning I am unhappily surprised.

I will say that I am very glad to have found this place and see that not everyone on the planet is as stupid as Twitter makes it seem

This is a first class grouping of minds and I am honored to be here and to take part in this thread.
edit on 4-4-2011 by SFA437 because: One last addendum

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Danbones
the plant wasn't hit by the tidal wave
it isn't in the earth quake zone

It failed when it went into shut down and the safety systems failed

this may be related to the Stuxnet virus
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Why do you keep spouting this nonsense?

Fukushima Dai-Ichi an unsafe plant, not well maintained, and was in a zone known for earthquakes and tidal waves. It was provably hit by a 9.1 earthquake and a 10 - 14 metre high tsunami.

You might as well tell us the Stuxnet virus caused the earthquake.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone
reply to post by MedievalGhost

Thank you Ghost, for that report.

It is inconceivable to me, that Japan, is complaining to the World Trade Org., that 25, yes TWENTY FIVE....so far... other countries won't abide by the fair trade rules. What is wrong with the governments' mind, I ask.

All I see is a spoiled little brat, whining that the other countries are not playing fair, when the spoiled brat, (Japan), has changed the rules of the game, by bringing a radioactive ball to the park. Now, they cry "foul" , when on one wants to play with them.

Do you really believe the rest of the world is any better?

Did you sleep through the BP oil "leak"?
Did you not notice how many reactors around the world are built to this same dangerous design, and how many, even in America, are built on earthquake faults?

Greed is international, and punishing Japan won't hurt those responsible, it will only hurt the poor and the powerless, those who were already victims of this greed in the first place.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   
North India earthquake fails to hit functioning of Narora N-power unit
www.business-standard.com...

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone
Why is Japan dumping radioactive water into the ocean?

No place else to put it, though they keep telling us they are trying, after they empty the storage tanks and everything else that is full. And where to empty it? Why the ocean of course, because early on in this mess TEPCO said no problem because the ocean will easily disperse it..

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by SFA437
OK caught up and want to see if my daily summary is complete...

TEPCO to set up silt filters at the seawater ducts to prevent radiation from reaching the ocean...

Now how the hell do they expect a glorified coffee filter to trap single individual atoms of iodine, cesium and the rest of the "iums"??? Nothing but spin, half-truth and outright lies from start to finish. What galls the hell out of me is nobody even THINKS to question such ridiculous statements or even allows what is being said to sink in before parroting it off as a panacea for 4 crippled, broken, radiation spewing reactors!

More to the point... they showed that they were going to put the filters on the INTAKE flows of seawater... WTF? Are they then saying the water is leaking OUT via the intake pipes?

edit on 4-4-2011 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by jjjtir
www.novinite.com/view_inpictures.php?picture_id=5622

Geiger counter reading of 0.628 micro-Sieverts/h is recorded beside blooming cherry blossoms in downtown Tokyo, Japan, 04 April, 2011.

Fake.
The hand holding the dosimeter has been photo-shopped into this picture.

Try holding a packet of matches. The only way you can get that finger at the back is to use a finger from your other hand.

Now try doing that while you take photos....

There is a whole series of photos of various scenes with this little clip-on dosimeter shopped in circulating the net.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheRedneck
reply to post by Altair11

A slip fit in a nuclear plant, regardless of the system involved, doesn't make sense when considered with the regulations of the NRC. Here, every system, be it fire protection (sprinklers), potable water, main steam lines, restroom plumbing, ductwork, etc., is designed to withstand a seismic event of pre-determined proportions (I actually was a designer in the pipe-support section). That would most certainly apply to a vent line that was intended to be used as radioactive contamination ducting!

Not to mention, it appears that pipe (the section running side-to-side) is being used as auxiliary
support for more cables. Why would anyone use a slip-joint, made-to-fail pipe for cable support?

I dunno, maybe the standards are a lot lower in Japan.

I also looked at the pictures again. That long box running alongside the pipe in the first pic is a cable tray, definitely. The rods that seem to be exposed and are on occasion sticking out are conduit, probably 2 - 2 1/2". And if you look closely at where that cable tray runs underneath the pipe toward the top of the pics, you can see damage in the first that has been repaired in the second.

TheRedneck

Humm...a slip on end for Scheduled large ND pipe...??
I am of the opinion that this would not be Scheduled SS pipe.
S/40S (0.375" @ 190.92#/ft) and S/80S (0.500" @ 253.89#/ft) is really your only options at ND 48" (Which is what it looks like to me.).
Heck even a Off-Sch, WT or say 0.1875", will run at ~95.75#/ft.

You probably know more than I do what psi runs through something like that, but I am guess nothing high enough to justify that wall thickness with that ND for simple venting. Hell I have seen pneumatic & hydro tests on pipe like that run over 20kpsi range (given the material grade of course).
Besides anything the the S/20 range (at that ND) will be EFW joints anyway. SO joints would be full of fail with that run weight.

Plus see how that joint failure is on the 90LR...no way a decent EFW joint would fail that smooth.

Unless it is more like a roll & WX sheet tube. OD 48" with a say 18ga. wall?? Then there are more special attachment methods than with pipe and would explain the crushing we see in the pics and the clean separation.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by jadedANDcynical
She's basically saying that since the earthquake and tsunami have killed off large portions of the population and damaged the area, it's ok to dump radioactively contaminated water.

Good grief!! No wonder the education level in the US is dropping when the professors are that stupid. Seems Ph.D. may stand for Phony Doctor

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kailassa
Fake.

I disagree. A quick error level analysis of the photo shows it's got no errors one would expect to find in a shopped photo. There's an example of what errors look like on the main page of that site, and this one is far, far from having any significant errors. If it was shopped in, there would be evidence of it around and on the hand.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by SFA437

I think this is the incident you are thinking about.

Nuclear Material Dumped Off Japan

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kailassa

Originally posted by jjjtir
www.novinite.com/view_inpictures.php?picture_id=5622

Geiger counter reading of 0.628 micro-Sieverts/h is recorded beside blooming cherry blossoms in downtown Tokyo, Japan, 04 April, 2011.

Fake.

Try holding a packet of matches. The only way you can get that finger at the back is to use a finger from your other hand.

Now try doing that while you take photos....

There is a whole series of photos of various scenes with this little clip-on dosimeter shopped in circulating the net.

Isn't that his little finger, being used to stablize the dosimeter?

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Kailassa

I'm just the relayer.

The source is "European Pressphoto Agency(en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Pressphoto_Agency)", taken by photographer "EVERETT KENNEDY BROWN".

His website right here www.everettkennedybrown.com

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Well now the good ideas are coming into play. Sounds like rope and golf balls to me. Japan tries bath salts to stop radiation leaks

By Yoko Kubota and Yoko Nishikawa, Reuters

Japan’s government on Monday told the operator of the crippled Fukushima nuclear plant to move quickly to stop radiation seeping into the ocean as desperate engineers resorted to bath salts to help trace a leak from one reactor. One official has warned it could take months before the nuclear crisis caused by a March 11 earthquake and tsunami is under control. www.torontosun.com...

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   
I hereby give Tepco a theme song, from the Wizard of Oz..."If I Only Had a Brain"... www.youtube.com... Seriously, I'm worried about the level of "thinking" at Tepco. I can only assume their brain pool, is very shallow. Which brings me to this little gem...

What is being done to identify the leak and plug it?

Today, TEPCO engineers unsuccessfully attempted to show that the radioactive water reaching the sea came from a flooded trench beneath reactor 2 which houses electrical cabling for the unit. They poured 13 kilograms of a white powder into the trench, expecting it to emerge at the outlet into the sea. But it didn't, suggesting that the water from the trench is finding its way to the sea by a different route, possibly via groundwater

On 1 April, TEPCO admitted that levels of radioactivity in groundwater underneath the facility were 10,000 times the legal limit, mainly as a result of contamination with iodine-131. At a monitoring point in the sea 330 metres south of the main water outlet from the plant, levels of iodine-131 were 3355 times the limit; levels 1263 times the limit were recorded 30 metres to the north.

Reactor 2, despite appearing the least damaged from the outside, may not have been so lucky. Four days after last month's earthquake and tsunami struck, an explosion was heard from somewhere in the inner containment, which houses the reactor's pressure vessel. Radiation levels are too high for an inspection, but the damage is thought to have been to a doughnut-shaped tank directly beneath the reactor vessel.

This "supression tank" recycles and regulates steam generated by heat from the reactor that is used to drive the electrical generators in the neighbouring turbine hall. The explosion may have damaged the reactor pressure vessel, perhaps holing it, leading to a partial meltdown and leak of the fuel inside

www.newscientist.com...

Follow the yellow brick road....

Des

edit on 03/28/2011 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

edit on 03/28/2011 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

edit on 03/28/2011 by Destinyone because: add link

top topics

<< 529  530  531    533  534  535 >>

join