It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 527.htm
<< 524  525  526    528  529  530 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 08:25 AM
link   
25 economies restrict food imports from Japan over radiation fears

At least 25 foreign economies have restricted imports of farm and other food products from Japan in response to leaks of radioactive substances from the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant crippled by the March 11 earthquake and tsunami, the government said Monday.

The restrictions on food imports from Japan have been expanding, while the government has asked foreign countries to comply with the World Trade Organization rules that prohibit member countries from imposing import restrictions that have no scientific ground.

The Japanese government has called for suspending shipments of some farm products including spinach and milk from Fukushima, Ibaraki, Tochigi and Gunma prefectures.

In response, the United Arab Emirates has imposed the most sweeping import ban among the 25 foreign economies, covering all fresh food imports from Japan.

The Philippines has suspended cookie and chocolate imports as well from the four prefectures.

Russia has banned food imports from Chiba and Tokyo prefectures as well as the four. Singapore has suspended vegetable and fruit imports from Saitama, Chiba, Tokyo, Kanagawa, Shizuoka and Ehime prefectures in addition to the four. The United States, China and South Korea have also imposed partial import bans on Japanese food products.

The European Union and Brazil have asked the Japanese government to certify food products as free from radioactive contamination. As the Japanese government has failed to meet the request, Japanese exporters have been unable to ship relevant products to them.

link

Even more bad news for Japanese farmers and fishermen. Who will eat their radioactive foods now? The Japanese people?
edit on 4-4-2011 by MedievalGhost because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
So what the hell now... They are dumping 15 000 tons of radioactive water into the sea at 10AM GMT...

So wouldn't that make the reactors/pools empty of water? To do what? To put more water on it? To get more radioactive water? Or to let them naked, then pour sand on the reactors or what?

Why are they dumping that water?

Sorry, I'm about a hundred pages behind.
I'll need to do some reading (like 10hrs or so) tomorrow.

Why? Because all the fluffy talk previously, about building/acquiring containers to store said water in...were lies.

Des I highly resent, that, they feel so entitled, to break OUR ocean

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 08:28 AM
link   
reply to post by MedievalGhost

What will probably happen is that large corporations will buy the food from the farmers and secretly incorporate it into processed foods as "by products".

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Let's consider this:

For a few days now, TEPCO has deliberately focused our attention on the need to stop the flow of radioactive water into the ocean. They made a big show of cracks, pits, leaks, pouring of concrete and stuffing newspapers into the holes, etc., to stop this flow of contaminated water.

Now they say they are going to intentionally release 10,000 (or 15,000) tons of radioactive water into the ocean, so they can fill the area back up again. So they can dump it again. So they can fill it again.

I submit that, being no idiots, they know full well they are going to have to do this again and again, that there is no recourse, and that this is likely going to be, for all intents and purposes, the new baseline of operations. But they had to wait for the media frenzy to die off, for the continued emotional and intellectual hyper-saturation of concerned parties to exhaust their ability to care, for the shortsighted interest of the sheeple to wane, before they began to slowly leak to the public what they have known all along. What WE here at ATS have known all along, which is this:

We're screwed. The ocean is screwed. There is no recourse, there is no choice, this is what must be done to avoid something even worse.

Welcome to the new normal.

edit on 4-4-2011 by OuttaHere because: just... because.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by windwaker

What will probably happen is that large corporations will buy the food from the farmers and secretly incorporate it into processed foods as "by products".

You may be right. Or the Japanese government may decrease imported foods, and that in turn would force the Japanese people to eat more domestically-produced radioactive foods.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Thank you Ghost, for that report.

It is inconceivable to me, that Japan, is complaining to the World Trade Org., that 25, yes TWENTY FIVE....so far... other countries won't abide by the fair trade rules. What is wrong with the governments' mind, I ask.

All I see is a spoiled little brat, whining that the other countries are not playing fair, when the spoiled brat, (Japan), has changed the rules of the game, by bringing a radioactive ball to the park. Now, they cry "foul" , when on one wants to play with them.

Des

edit on 03/28/2011 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 08:41 AM
link   
the plant wasn't hit by the tidal wave
it isn't in the earth quake zone

It failed when it went into shut down and the safety systems failed

this may be related to the Stuxnet virus
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Danbones
the plant wasn't hit by the tidal wave
it isn't in the earth quake zone

It failed when it went into shut down and the safety systems failed

this may be related to the Stuxnet virus
www.abovetopsecret.com...

I have to disagree. Near the beginning of this long thread, I posted a link quoting a TEPCO worker who was in reactor 1 when the quake hit. He stated that there was white steam coming from the reactor as they escaped outside. It appears that the quake did damage at least reactor 1 before the tsunami hit.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 08:45 AM
link   

MedievalGhost,

I believe some of our ATS members are in Japan.
My concern is that nations will restrict more than produce and goods by the time an evacuation order is given. Will nations restrict refugees from entering too? Already airports are screening passengers from Japan for radiation.

Containers are being held in customs full of Japanese goods and parts because of radiation fears.

We are already seeing it in-country where radiation free certificates are needed to enter a shelter. Children are being bullied in schools and called, "irradiated"

Inside the Danger Zone Japanese authorities are telling people to stay away. Not everybody is listening. NEWSWEEK heads toward Fukushima.

Still, in contrast to the atmosphere of abandonment, creepiness, and fear that characterized the buffer and exclusion zones, the city was bustling, getting back to normal. And, after the initial outpouring of concern for the victims of the earthquake, darker feelings had begun to surface. One factory owner I had spoken to in the exclusion zone had told me that children evacuated from Fukushima prefecture—especially from the exclusion and buffer zones—and sent to centers in Tokyo and other cities were now being singled out for rough treatment in elementary schools. Their classmates were shunning them and taunting them as being “irradiated.” He worried that his own 2-year-old daughter would face similar problems. “These disaster victims need help not only physically but psychologically,” he told me. As Japan reckons with its latest nuclear tragedy, the suffering endured by the hibakushas still weighs heavy on the land.

Inside the Danger Zone

I sincerely hope for everyone's sake in Japan, that everything that needs to be disclosed will be and in time for people to stay safe - and leave safely if need be. Take care and thanks for your contributions.
edit on 4-4-2011 by DancedWithWolves because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 08:49 AM
link   
What I don't understand is how this is still considered a level 5 event, equal to 3 Mile Island. Hasn't this surpassed 3 Mile already? I guess the public can't handle the truth.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 08:52 AM
link   

No, i think the contaminated food will be used in process food abroad.
This way effects wil be undetectable because diluted over many countries...
And this will évén help japanese stats as they Will have More chances to be shown to be in line with the rest of the world..(if the rest of the world is also unknowinly fed contaminated stuff)

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by 00nunya00
Bringing this forward because it kind of got lost in the debate on the last page, and I'd like to discuss if this really does indicate the pics are from different times, or if there are ideas why/how that big@ss pipe got moved? I don't see a door there in side-angle photos or anything they'd need to access, so I'd rule out it being moved by people with heavy equipment. So what's it all about?

I originally noticed this when trying to find confirmation of Redneck's proposed crack in the bedrock under #4 and #3, and thought maybe if it was laying over that crack, maybe it got moved by a widening/heightening, but I couldn't find good evidence of a crack (shadows, yes....crack? Too hard to tell for sure).

I have reason to think these photographs were taken at radically different times, or right before and after another big aftershock:

Both are from the same 3-30 set in the same zip file. But clearly, something happened to that HUGE pipe laying next to #3. How could it have happened so quickly with no evidence of activity around it, ie: planning to move it?

Again- playing catch up but some quick off-the-cuff observations:

The small section of pipe at the bottom did not move- it is still in place.

There seems to be a piece of heavy machinery to the left edge in the second photo.

I haven't STUDIED the pics, just kind of glanced at them so this isn't definitive but food for thought and debate

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by DancedWithWolves

MedievalGhost,

I believe some of our ATS members are in Japan.
My concern is that nations will restrict more than produce and goods by the time an evacuation order is given. Will nations restrict refugees from entering too? Already airports are screening passengers from Japan for radiation.

Containers are being held in customs full of Japanese goods and parts because of radiation fears.

We are already seeing it in-country where radiation free certificates are needed to enter a shelter. Children are being bullied in schools and called, "irradiated"

Inside the Danger Zone Japanese authorities are telling people to stay away. Not everybody is listening. NEWSWEEK heads toward Fukushima.

Still, in contrast to the atmosphere of abandonment, creepiness, and fear that characterized the buffer and exclusion zones, the city was bustling, getting back to normal. And, after the initial outpouring of concern for the victims of the earthquake, darker feelings had begun to surface. One factory owner I had spoken to in the exclusion zone had told me that children evacuated from Fukushima prefecture—especially from the exclusion and buffer zones—and sent to centers in Tokyo and other cities were now being singled out for rough treatment in elementary schools. Their classmates were shunning them and taunting them as being “irradiated.” He worried that his own 2-year-old daughter would face similar problems. “These disaster victims need help not only physically but psychologically,” he told me. As Japan reckons with its latest nuclear tragedy, the suffering endured by the hibakushas still weighs heavy on the land.

Inside the Danger Zone

I sincerely hope for everyone's sake in Japan, that everything that needs to be disclosed will be and in time for people to stay safe - and leave safely if need be. Take care and thanks for your contributions.

Thanks for your concern. Actually, I am one of those currently residing in Japan. Luckily I live in the north, quite a ways from ground zero. If I were in Tokyo, I would probably leave. But where I am located now, I will not leave unless the situation drastically deteriorates.
edit on 4-4-2011 by MedievalGhost because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Korean website with a very recent reading.

JAPAN EARTHQUAKE TSUNAMI NUCLEAR ACCIDENT AFTERMATH

연합뉴스 | 입력 2011.04.04 19:50

media.daum.net/breakingnews/view.html?cateid=100000&newsid=20110404195015058&p=yonhap

(...)

Geiger counter reading of 0.168 micro-Sieverts/h is recorded beside a tsunami damaged fishing boat at a port in Ichinomiya city, Chiba prefecture, 60 kilometers east of Tokyo, Japan, 04 April, 2011.

(...)

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 09:23 AM
link   
media.daum.net/breakingnews/view.html?cateid=100000&newsid=20110404195106508&p=yonhap

Geiger counter reading of 0.452 micro-Sieverts/h is recorded at midday in the upscale Ginza shopping district of Tokyo, Japan, 04 April, 2011

link   

Originally posted by OuttaHere
Let's consider this:

For a few days now, TEPCO has deliberately focused our attention on the need to stop the flow of radioactive water into the ocean. They made a big show of cracks, pits, leaks, pouring of concrete and stuffing newspapers into the holes, etc., to stop this flow of contaminated water.

Now they say they are going to intentionally release 10,000 (or 15,000) tons of radioactive water into the ocean, so they can fill the area back up again. So they can dump it again. So they can fill it again.

I submit that, being no idiots, they know full well they are going to have to do this again and again, that there is no recourse, and that this is likely going to be, for all intents and purposes, the new baseline of operations. The new "normal". But they had to wait for the media frenzy to die off, for the continued emotional and intellectual hyper-saturation of concerned parties to exhaust their ability to care, for the shortsighted interest of the sheeple to wane, before they began to slowly leak to the public what they have known all along. What WE here at ATS have known all along, which is this:

We're screwed. The ocean is screwed. There is no recourse, there is no choice, this is what must be done to avoid something even worse.

Welcome to the new normal.

I'm so glad you have succinctly explained a view point I have held for some time.

We in my view have air borne particles from blown up spent fuel and reactors 1 and 3. We have "Corium" from possibly reactors 1 - 4 and serious water/ground contamination.

As a result he EU have raised safety levels of radioactive levels in food,
Various country's food agencies are doing the same.

foodfreedom.wordpress.com...

EU secretly ups caesium safety level in food 20-fold
According to EU by-laws, radiation limits may be raised during a nuclear emergency to prevent food shortages.

But there is anger across Europe because this emergency order was issued while officials say there is no threat to the food.

The media are quoting safe levels of 100 Sb and not noting the difference between external exposure, ingestion and inhalation of various isotopes.

Even the internet is misquoting the safe level for inhaling plutonium dust is 1milli gram when it is 1 micro gram.

www.ieer.org...

Experiments on beagles have shown that a very small amount of plutonium in insoluble form will produce lung cancer with near-one-hundred-percent probability. When this data is extrapolated to humans, the figure for lethal lung burden of plutonium comes out to about 27 micrograms. Such an extrapolation from animals, of course, has some uncertainties. However, it is safe to assume that several tens of micrograms of plutonium-239 in the lung would greatly increase the risk of lung cancer. Larger quantities of plutonium will produce health problems in the short-term as well.

So as you have said the new background radiation level is here till the next disater.

Incidentailly aftert reading

www.greenpeace.org.uk...

What arrangements are proposed to transport this nuclear material?
BNFL is using two of its ships – the Pacific Pintail and the Pacific Teal - to bring the waste
fuel to the UK. The two ships have recently left Barrow-in-Furness, travelling to Japan
via the Caribbean Sea and Panama Canal.
A total of over 26 tons of plutonium belonging to Japan will be accumulated at the
Sellafield site over the next five to ten years. This is sufficient plutonium for as many as
5,000 nuclear weapons. If all of this plutonium were to be fabricated in MOX fuel it would
amount to more than half a million kilograms of MOX, requiring between 25 and 50 sea
shipments to Japan.

it would appear that there are so many tons of MOX fuel floating around the seas en route from France and the UK to Japan that the next big accident could be a MOX laden ship sinking.

The future background level is going to be here pretty soon. As more additional reactors come online, more fuel will be transported around the world for processing and reprocessing meaning a higher probability for global contamination.

Admittedly there are more reprocessing plants being built to reduce the transportation of fuels.

link   

Radioactive water has been filling up the basement of the No. 2 reactor turbine building and the tunnel-like trench connected to it. The powder was injected into the trench shortly after 7 a.m. but did not come out from the crack as of 11 a.m., according to the company officials.

On Sunday, workers used polymeric water absorbent that can soak up 50 times its volume into pipes leading to the pit, but the nuclear safety agency said the same day that water flow has remained unaffected.

Source

This does seem to confirm previous analysis here that there could be more serious cracks below the reactors and possibly in the bedrock itself. Or there is another leak they have yet to find that is responsible. I'm betting there are many leaks though, and they are likely not going to find them by just walking around the building exteriors searching for cracks.

It would be more telling if they would put different colored dyes in the water they are feeding to each individual reactor and spent fuel pool. Then they would be better able to trace back the issue (discounting high radiation levels preventing close examination of areas in the reactor buildings). Of course, I have no idea if there are any dyes that could be safely used in close proximity to the fuel (not a chemist or such), but surely something is possible.

One day there is going to be a Fukushima documentary where we all sit watching and exclaim: "Ahhh!" "I knew it!" "Oh, that explains it!"

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 09:26 AM
link   
www.novinite.com/view_inpictures.php?picture_id=5622

Geiger counter reading of 0.628 micro-Sieverts/h is recorded beside blooming cherry blossoms in downtown Tokyo, Japan, 04 April, 2011.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by SFA437

Bringing this forward because it kind of got lost in the debate on the last page, and I'd like to discuss if this really does indicate the pics are from different times, or if there are ideas why/how that big@ss pipe got moved? I don't see a door there in side-angle photos or anything they'd need to access, so I'd rule out it being moved by people with heavy equipment. So what's it all about?

I originally noticed this when trying to find confirmation of Redneck's proposed crack in the bedrock under #4 and #3, and thought maybe if it was laying over that crack, maybe it got moved by a widening/heightening, but I couldn't find good evidence of a crack (shadows, yes....crack? Too hard to tell for sure).

I have reason to think these photographs were taken at radically different times, or right before and after another big aftershock:

Both are from the same 3-30 set in the same zip file. But clearly, something happened to that HUGE pipe laying next to #3. How could it have happened so quickly with no evidence of activity around it, ie: planning to move it?

Again- playing catch up but some quick off-the-cuff observations:

The small section of pipe at the bottom did not move- it is still in place.

There seems to be a piece of heavy machinery to the left edge in the second photo.

I haven't STUDIED the pics, just kind of glanced at them so this isn't definitive but food for thought and debate

Perhaps I've missed it but I can't see how the discussion of the movement of these pipes is of significance to this thread. These pipes lead from the turbine building to the chimney stacks. I think in normal conditions they are for venting excess steam from the turbines. If you look at the _big picture_ then you'll see that - uncropped you can see the connection to the stacks.
scroll down here

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by jjjtir
media.daum.net/breakingnews/view.html?cateid=100000&newsid=20110404195106508&p=yonhap

Geiger counter reading of 0.452 micro-Sieverts/h is recorded at midday in the upscale Ginza shopping district of Tokyo, Japan, 04 April, 2011

Star for you. Thanks for posting.

The Japan Geigermap website isn't showing such high levels around Tokyo right now. Maybe it's not updating frequently. I was suspecting higher levels in Tokyo due to the recent changing winds. Good to know.

top topics

<< 524  525  526    528  529  530 >>

join