It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 521.htm
<< 518  519  520    522  523  524 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 10:11 PM
link   
on it's side or not there is absolutely no tell tail yellow from the top or side so I took the overhead photo from HERE
cut the cap out of #4 and dropped it into the hole on the roof for #3's turbine building , a cozy fit , perhaps co-incidence.

edit on 3-4-2011 by Silverlok because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Mass evacuation begun

A Japanese port city where more than half the homeless population has increased by Sunday began a mass evacuation. Nearly ten thousand people in Japan's Miyagi Prefecture Minamisanriku be accommodated in nearby towns.

link

It's about time. Get those people out of there!
edit on 3-4-2011 by MedievalGhost because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by MedievalGhost

Originally posted by MedievalGhost
Mass evacuation begun

A Japanese port city where more than half the homeless population has increased by Sunday began a mass evacuation. Nearly ten thousand people in Japan's Miyagi Prefecture Minamisanriku be accommodated in nearby towns.

link

Yes, what is happening is that the local authorities are taking action in absence of leadership by the higher-ups. Mayors taking action on behalf of their constituents, in spite of the lack of an "official" evacuation order. I wish they had done this sooner!

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 10:22 PM
link   
What a mess............

I still believe they have no real clue as to where the cracks and holes are. I mean how can they? Earthquakes,Explosions,and Tsunami,moved all those buildings.........

Hi Res

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by DancedWithWolves

Originally posted by Silverlok
reply to post by OuttaHere

If it is what it appears to be ( the containment vessel on it's side) then it explains the odd pattern of debris on the turbine roof , and lends credence to the idea that the primary and secondary caps made those holes (hell they may have even slid across the roof )

Before I ask another question - just wanted to say thanks to you and several others on here, again, for all you have added. Someone like you or Redneck should really post a new thread for people on ATS that explains what this new find could mean. Not all our members can follow a 500 page thread. This news needs to be known. We are no longer talking about traces of MOX fuel being found in the soil.

That may be a good idea but for the nonce:

After careful examination of the video and obvious extreme destruction to the #3 reactor building I am absolutely certain that both containment cores were blown and the reactor has been open to the air since 11:00a march 14 2011 (fukushima time) .
I firmly believe the evidence clearly shows that most of the core material was ejected as powder and most of the pool storage was also powdered and blown in the air ( since the plume was over 500m this means at least some of that material went into the upper air currents which has the potential to carry it half way around the world )

I believe that a vast majority of the grey debris behind the reactor ( inland side ) and scattered across the turbine roof is powdered MOX . I also strongly believe that a fair amount of that mass was propelled into the ocean inlet water ( the open body of water right next to the plant ) .

The holes in the roof of the turbine building ( in my opinion ) are from the primary and secondary core containment caps

This is easily confirm-able with thermal imagery
edit on 3-4-2011 by Silverlok because: e is not better than at

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by okiecowboy
I will disagree with you here...It's not steam in my mind....

I agree not steam

edit on 3-4-2011 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Anti-TEPCO protests in Tokyo intensifying- all but ignored by Japanese television media

Tokyo Electric reported that a protesters’ sound truck, presumably sent to heckle the company, was blocked from entering the Fukushima Daiichi plant on Thursday.

There are also frequent protests at the company’s headquarters in the Uchisaiwai-cho neighborhood of central Tokyo. On Sunday, several hundred antinuclear protesters assembled in front of Tokyo Electric’s offices, then marched to Kasumigaseki to protest in front of the offices of Japan’s nuclear regulators.

The protesters shouted such slogans as, “Tokyo Electric, get out of nuclear energy” and “Compensate the victims.” Others called for the company and government to apologize. Some carried placards that read, “Even if we don’t have nuclear power, we’ll still have electricity.”

“The Japanese people don’t protest usually, but this time, we have to show that we can call for change,” said Masanobu Takeshi, 40, who was there with his wife and son.

Makoto Yanagida, 70, who has been protesting since March 12, said that on the first day, only about 10 people showed up. Sunday’s protest, the 10th, drew more than 300 people, he said. Mr. Yanagida said that he would continue protesting until nuclear plants were shut down.

link

I have noticed there is no coverage of these protests in Japanese news television. Big surprise.

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by jjjtir
April 2nd rainwater results from EPA's RadNet.

www.epa.gov/japan2011/docs/rert/radnet-precipitation-final.pdf

EPA expects to see radioisotopes consistent with the Japanese nuclear incident during sample analysis. EPA
expects the measured levels to be extremely low as this air mass disperses across our planet. All results are in
picocuries per liter (pCi/L). A picocurie is one trillionth of a curie.

Thank you!! been looking for this!!!

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

Originally posted by windwaker
One guy on Twitter had the revolutionary idea of going into the reactors and taking the fuel rods out.
The masses are clueless!

Tell him Tepco is hiring... benefits include a trip to Japan

Two guys tried... two guys died...

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by monkeyingaround

Yes it is true, these people are idiots. Personally I would throw something a little more binding in there, those ingredients are too small and will spurt right through the crack. I would suggest a company out in calgary called sealweld might have the expertise to figure this out, they have chemicals used to seal high pressure valves for the oil industry. Personally I would lower a sheet of metal mesh (like a rebar cage, actually) and use carbon fibers or kevlar strands mixed in with some of seal weld's own XXXH valve sealant. That would stop that leak; these tepco people are so damned clueless it's not even funny it doesn't even seem as though they've tried contacting some experts on how to do what they are doing. unbelieveable.

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by 00nunya00
reply to post by OuttaHere

If you have the full-size photos from the zip file and blow this one up, it appears to be just arcing steam. I can't see any evidence of a solid structure when it's zoomed in, it really just looks like the source of the steam plume above it originates from the bottom of what looks like the "circle's" right side.

ETA: actually, when it's zoomed in you can see some debris barely visible behind the steam. It's definitely not the reactor on its side.
edit on 3-4-2011 by 00nunya00 because: (no reason given)

I concur, the arch shaped structure in the image is smoke and steam not the reactor vessel.

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   
www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5hcixo8gq2_rNxiVYnG2-9eVhNiJw

Japan tsunami survivor returns to help save nuclear plant

By Kimiko de Freytas-Tamura (AFP) – 19 hours ago

KAZO, Japan — Three weeks after watching a massive wave smash into the Fukushima nuclear plant, Hiroyuki Kohno is heading back to the disaster zone to join crews struggling to avert a meltdown.

The 44-year-old radiation controller, who has worked in the nuclear industry since his late teens, has taken on a job many others have declined, with a clear understanding that the mission will likely be the last of his career.

"To be honest, no one wants to go," Kohno, who is soft-spoken and bespectacled, told AFP at the evacuation centre in the city of Kazo north of Tokyo that has been his home since the March 11 disaster.

"Radiation levels at the plant are unbelievably high compared with normal conditions. I know that when I go this time, I will return with a body no longer capable of work at a nuclear plant."

Kohno, who was employed at the now-crippled Fukushima Daiichi plant for a decade, left northeastern Japan soon after the quake and tsunami, but a fortnight later he received an email he had been half expecting.

"Attention," read the email from his company, a subcontractor of plant operator Tokyo Electric Power Co. "We would like you to come work at the plant. Can you?"

Single and without a family of his own, he felt it was his duty to accept the assignment.

"The work rotation is becoming increasingly difficult, and my friends have families to return to," he said.

But Kohno is not just a company employee. He is also the eldest son in his family, and when he broke the news of his return to the plant to his parents, he did his utmost to downplay the risk.

They were not fooled. His father, who also worked many years as an electrical engineer at Fukushima Daiichi, told him to follow his heart. His mother's reaction was simpler: "Come back as soon as possible."

(...)

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by SilverlokSomeone like you or Redneck should really post a new thread for people on ATS that explains what this new find could mean. Not all our members can follow a 500 page thread. This news needs to be known.

hard enough to keep up with this thread. Trying to juggle more threads would really mess things up
Best to keep up with the end of this one then review during slack periods (usually after 1am pacific
)

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by MedievalGhost
Mass evacuation begun

link

edit on 3-4-2011 by MedievalGhost because: (no reason given)

YAY!!!!!

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by jjjtir

Well, given the surcumstances he is doing the right thing. God Speed young man!!

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

Originally posted by okiecowboy
I will disagree with you here...It's not steam in my mind....

I agree not steam

And look at how the debris is arched over whatever is in shadow. If steam can keep a steel roof frame/debris work arched like that it is some bad assed radioactive super steam

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Silverlok
One of the big problems with salt in the reactors (besides uralyl chloride)is the molten NA building up around the fissionable material and acting like a thermal blanket increasing the likely hood of fission, I think it's a desperate maneuver with adding water ,

NA is natrium which is sodium... putting sodium into a kleenex tissue was one of those things we did back in chemistry lab...

Sodium metal + one drop of water =

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy
Yes. Star on your post sodium is crazy reactive with water. It is often kept in a bath of kerosene for storage in labs so that it doesn't react with water vapor in the air. Sodium and water, the results are truly explosive. Mythbusters did an episode with it once.

This is probably Redneck when he was a kid

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Much to my suprise they are proceeding with the nitrogen plan...

Engineers also planned to begin injecting nitrogen gas into reactors Nos. 1, 2 and 3 in an attempt to prevent possible explosions from the buildup of hydrogen gas.www.rep-am.com...

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

I know , I also know that various forms of salt precipitate out of water even under normal sunlight evap ( as with SO many salt farms like the one they use to have on the Oakland side of the bay bridge), so under rapid transfere conditions a sizeable fraction of the sodium should be accumulating on the heat sources much the way calcium does , er it obviously would not be pure sodium but some compound
edit on 3-4-2011 by Silverlok because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 518  519  520    522  523  524 >>

join