It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 509.htm
<< 506  507  508    510  511  512 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wertwog
reply to post by windwaker

This level of "cluelessness" is understandable given the steady diet of distraction the average person is being fed. Add to that an aversion to anything negative or "bubble bursting", then spice that up with some "no immediate impact to human health" topping and you've got a nice lie-latte to have with your Gaga.

There you have it. Creed of the new world ostrich. Sorry I didn't say good night, when logging off yesterday. Quite frankly, I couldn't find anything good about it. I started to feel so overwhelmed, that, I began to doubt my own sanity.

I found myself playing the "what if" game, in my mind. What if, they really do, know what they are doing at Fukushima.
What if, we are making a mountain out of a molehill. What if, two weeks from now, everything is all fixed. What if...ad nauseum. Wanting to slip into the comfort zone of denial, and shove my head deep into that warm soothing sand with the rest of the herd.

Then, I wake up this morning, and there it is, slapping me in the face....What if, what if...we are right.
So, here I am again today. Replenished by the hopes of everyone I read here, and slogging through the unimaginable, claiming my tiny place, in attempting to be part of the solution, not part of the problem.

Good work forum-mates. May you be blessed with new found energy, and fresh eyes, for the tasks ahead.

Des

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by jadedANDcynical

Originally posted by monica86
reply to post by jadedANDcynical

I don't think it can be the base of the reactor where the torus is
The base is huge, look at the second video in my post, it shows it was put in place

videos construction of daiichi post by monica86

I'm not the one who said it was the torus, that was someone responding. what I originally posted was this:

[

yes, sorry, I did know it wasn't your idea. I should have made it clearer

On another note, do you know what are the round things at 6.27 of the video that I posted?

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 08:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

It is so hard to express the realities of what's happening to people who are unaware.

I spoke with my ex-girlfriend from Japan yesterday. She has a two year old child and another on the way. I told her that she may need to one day evacuate her parents from Nagoya if things get worse. She couldn't grasp the concept. Even she, a Japanese native, could not fully understand the gravity of what's going on.

Now even worse, I don't know how to tell her that the Iodine-131 and Cesium-137 in the water can harm her unborn baby...Does she even understand how radiation works? If I talk too long about Fukushima she changes the subject.

Because I'm not in her life anymore there is only so much I can do. What would you do?

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 08:42 AM
link   
I have compiled a concise list of resources that will help you understand and keep up to date on the current nuclear emergency in Fukushima:

pstuph.wordpress.com/2011/03/31/fukushimatoolkit/

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kailassa

Originally posted by Procharmo

No Problem, totally misunderstood on my part. Peace!

Back on topic. Although other forums should not be treated as credible sources there is a five page thread that has some good arguments for and against the likely hood of the Fukishima MOX powder having an effect on the world.

What's this about MOX powder?

The MOX rods are packed with ceramic pellets made of a mixture of uranium and plutonium.
They are not packed with loose powder.

OK Kailassa thanks I understand.

But does the fact that it was a dust which has been densely packed not mean that when blasted with heat and force into the air it will return to it's original state more easily than if it was not originally a powder?

Why would powder be mentioned in the article below about MOX fabrication if it were not an issue in safety.Granted it refers to the MOX production and not a reactor vessel/fuel rod explosion.

Further more has anyone ever exploded a MOX ceramic fuel rod. Did the pellets remain intact or vaporise in the intense heat from the zirconium cladding?

sciencelinks.jp...

Simplified Estimation of Criticality Accident of MOX Powder Fuel.

Criticality conditions in MOX fuel fabrication processes were studied and total fission yields in case of hypothetical criticality accident were estimated by using a simplified model. Criticality conditions of a mixture of MOX powder and additive, which acts as neutron moderator, in a model equipment for homogenization of MOX powder were investiaged. Fission yields of MOX powder were estimated by assuming that the shutdown mechanism of a criticality accident is decomposition and annihilation of the additive, zinc stearate, due to the temperature rise. First pulse power, fission yield during the first pulse and total fission yield till shutdown were estimated by using simplified evaluation models. Since MOX fuel powder has a shorter neutron life time, the first pulse power is larger than that of low-enriched uranium aqueous solution. Fission yield during the first pulse and total fission yield are also larger than those of low-enriched uranium aqueous solution due to the smaller reactivity temperature coefficient and larger density. (author abst.)

edit on 3-4-2011 by Procharmo because: Spelling

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 09:06 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 09:14 AM
link   
The earth is stretching this morning...too near the plant. These quakes are not confirmed.

4.9 and 5.0 earthquakes.

RSOE

Also adding a chart of ocean currents around Japan.

Kuroshio Current

The path of Kuroshio south of Japan is reported every day.[1] Its counterparts are the North Pacific Current to the north, the California Current to the east, and the North Equatorial Current to the south. The warm waters of the Kuroshio Current sustain the coral reefs of Japan, the northernmost coral reefs in the world. The branch into the Sea of Japan is called Tsushima Current (対馬海流, Tsushima Kairyū ?). The Japan Current is also responsible for the mild weather experienced around Alaska's southern coast and in British Columbia.

Morning.

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by windwaker

My heart goes out to you, and her. Sometimes, people, deep down inside, "know", what you are tying to show them, is real...it's just TOO real, for them to deal with. KWIM? So, it's easier for them, to compartmentalize, in their minds, as a self protective mechanism. It's self defeating in the long run, but, that's just the way it is sometimes. Especially when the dark thoughts, they are attempting to quell, have such monumental implications.

When I run into that brick wall of denial...well, all I can do is pray for them to have clarity, and the strength, to accept what they are hiding from....their own, deeply buried fears.

Des

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Noahswife
www.guardian.co.uk...

The comments are just too funny. Everyone keeps up this mantra of "it can't be as bad as Chernobyl, because it's better designed, and has better containment". I have news for you, when your design fails, and your containment fails, your reactor is no better designed, and has no better containment than anything else.

The cheapest and cleanest energy is conserved energy. I had read last year in The Economist that 5-7% of Japanese electrical consumption goes to domestic heated toilet seats. (I don't blame them, their idea of central heating is a bit behind their climate.) It would take almost nothing to provide timers to shut the draw off whilst people are at work, but who will do it? The utilities won't, the government won't interfere in a deregulated market, so who then? It's so marginal on your bill that it is hardly worth your effort as an individual, but all together it's a lot of power. By no means am I a maniac green, but it seems a shame we are destroying a huge chunk of the Pacific for toilet seats and Pachinko machines.

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by brocktoon

There are also people, having lived through Chernobyl, saying that everything will be fine because they lived close to a chernobyl when the accident happened and they are still healthy. So because of this they are not taking Fukushima seriously.

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   
I might be wrong, but, this splice compilation of videos from Fukushima, short video, has some better close-up views of some things we've been pondering.

investmentwatchblog.com...

investmentwatchblog.com...

Des

ps, just heard on CNN, workers in japan tried to use a mixture of sawdust and newspaper, in attempts to plug the leak.
but it didn't work...SAY WHAT???
off to find a link to post here.

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Found it... Story includes video.

Chemical, sawdust, newspaper mix used to plug leak at nuclear plant
By the CNN Wire Staff
April 3, 2011 -- Updated 1015 GMT (1815 HKT)
edition.cnn.com...

Tokyo (CNN) -- Workers on Sunday poured a chemical compound mixed with sawdust and newspaper into a crack at Japan's Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power facility that's been a conduit for highly radioactive water leaking into the Pacific Ocean, a utility company official said.

This follows an unsuccessful attempt a day earlier to use concrete to plug the 2-meter-deep (6.5-foot-deep), concrete-lined basin, where authorities had found water gushing directly into the sea via a roughly 20-centimeter crack.

Eighty bags of a water-gel mix made by the Tokyo-based IB Daiwa company will be used in the operation. Each one contains 100 grams of material that includes a special polymer. A Tokyo Electric official said the substance should expand to several thousand times its size as it sticks, ideally, to plug the leak.

The cracked shaft sits behind the No. 2 reactor's turbine building at the facility, which has been in constant crisis since the failure of cooling systems and numerous explosions in the wake of last month's epic earthquake and tsunami.

Can you say paper mache....with a dash of pampers...Des
edit on 03/28/2011 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone

ps, just heard on CNN, workers in japan tried to use a mixture of sawdust and newspaper, in attempts to plug the leak.
but it didn't work...SAY WHAT???

Can you imagine how much sawdust and newspaper they had to stuff in there to try to get that to work? So now what? And how are they going to get the sawdust and newspaper out? they are going to have to try to plug something else in there on top of the sawdust and newspaper, no doubt.

This is turning into a big mess. Much like when a kid breaks their parents living room china statue and tries to put it back together with Elmer's Glue. It just makes it worse!

And this is a horrific thought: how many workers died trying to soak up the leak with sawdust and newspaper? They had to have gotten pretty close to the reactor to do that. well, I guess it's time for the next batch of kamikaze workers.

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   
The spraying of resin around the grounds isn't only for stopping radioactive dust, it'd also have an effect of lowering beta and alpha radiation counts around the plant, making it appear safer when these measurement criteria are used.
edit on 3/4/11 by GhostR1der because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by windwaker

There are also people, having lived through Chernobyl, saying that everything will be fine because they lived close to a chernobyl when the accident happened and they are still healthy. So because of this they are not taking Fukushima seriously.

I do a lot of business in Kiev, and I have never met anyone in Ukraine who thinks they were unaffected by the events in 1986. As a matter of fact, my neighbor at home (Canada) is the little sister of a guy who was a junior engineer in Chernobyl at the time of the accident. Some of the nuclear apologists out there should have a chat with her some day...

Last time I was in Kiev, I announced I was going to take a Chernobyl tour to my hosts. Big mistake. People were begging and pleading for me not to go. One guy, ex-Soviet Central Committee started crying. Not, he said because he was sad about what happened, but because he liked me and was worried for me. I did not wind up going because I had to go to London on short notice, but try to tell those people about "banana levels of radiation".
edit on 3-4-2011 by brocktoon because: canada

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Sharing these "letters from Fukushima"

The so-called "Fukushima 50" -- a group of about 300 technicians, soldiers and firemen who have been working in shifts of 50 at Japan's troubled plant -- are being viewed globally as heroes, preventing the world's second-worst nuclear calamity from escalating into a full-blown meltdown.

Although the Japanese government has tried to keep the identities and details of Fukushima's workers under wraps, a series of e-mail threads has emerged which sheds new, albeit dismal, light onto the anonymous pack, the Wall Street Journal is reporting.

"I just wanted people to understand that there are many people fighting under harsh circumstances in the nuclear plants," one anonymous Tokyo Electric Power worker writes. "Crying is useless. If we're in hell now all we can do is to crawl up towards heaven." Another worker spoke of the devastating working conditions, and said he was still unsure of his parents' whereabouts in the wake of the tsunami:

"I myself have had to stay in the disaster measurement headquarters the entire time ever since the earthquake occurred, and have been fighting alongside my colleagues without any sleep or rest," he writes. "Everyone is away from their hometown and does not know when they can return. We don't know who to turn to and direct our concern and anger...everyone has lost everything -- their home, their job, their school, their friends, their families. Who could stand this reality?"

link

I have also read reports that there are between 500 and 600 workers onsite. Other reports indicate some of these emails are from a worker at the Fukushima II plant even though this link does mention that fact.

The Fukushima 50 refers to the number of workers who rotate in for different shift. I dearly hope they are being asked what they need and I hope they and the decision makers are collaborating world-wide.

So we are throwing out the diapers and the newspapers....next solutions.

That blow up plug pages ago looked promising, although with the photos showing the utter destruction of these plants - how they could ever expect to get cooling working is unfathomable.

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Teknetium
Tepco failed to seal the radioactive leak, it is almost as from an episode of the Simpsons, (or maybe a late first of April?!):

Engineers put 8 kilograms of the polymeric water absorbent together with 60 kilograms of sawdust and three bags of shredded newspaper into pipes leading to a pit connected to the No. 2 reactor building where a 20-centimeter crack has been found to be leaking radioactive water into the Pacific Ocean, the agency said.

Source: english.kyodonews.jp...

I've been lurking on this thread and very grateful for what appears to be information and assessments from a number of well educated and experienced members helping us make sense of this ongoing crisis. I usually log out nearly on the verge of tears at the enormity and severity of it all, but buck it up and get on with dailies of my life as we all have to do. But this quote has done me in.

Sawdust, shredded newspapers and absorbent gel???????

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   

I have three Russian friends who grew up in Kiev or very close to Chernobyl and they told me that nothing happened to their families and they seem healthy. One friend even lived as close at 20km from the Chernobyl site. He tells me not to worry. Could they be denial to make themselves feel better?

I saw the HBO show ten years ago about Chernobyl children in an orphanage. The birth defects gave me nightmares. I'll never forget it. But no mention of these sorts of things from my friends.

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Spread of Radioctivity/Weather for 04.03 (Today) to 04.05

Source: zamg.ac.at

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   

I've been lurking on this thread and very grateful for what appears to be information and assessments from a number of well educated and experienced members helping us make sense of this ongoing crisis. I usually log out nearly on the verge of tears at the enormity and severity of it all, but buck it up and get on with dailies of my life as we all have to do. But this quote has done me in.

Sawdust, shredded newspapers and absorbent gel???????

Yup...all that's missing is the duct tape...

des

top topics

<< 506  507  508    510  511  512 >>

join