It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 508.htm
<< 505  506  507    509  510  511 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 02:57 AM
link   
reply to post by jadedANDcynical

I don't think it can be the base of the reactor where the torus is
The base is huge, look at the second video in my post, it shows it was put in place

videos construction of daiichi post by monica86

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 03:00 AM
link   
It's 4:00 AM in the morning here in NYC. I should be asleep, but my instincts tell me "Buy more bottled water...and more bottled water...and more water."

It's about to get real.

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 03:01 AM
link   
www.epa.gov...-dw-milk

FYI
Do the levels found in rainwater exceed EPA drinking water MCLs? If so, why shouldn't people be concerned?
•While the levels in the rainwater exceed the applicable MCL of 3piC/L for drinking water, it is important to note that the corresponding MCL for iodine-131 was calculated based on long-term chronic exposures over the course of a lifetime 70 years. The levels seen in rainwater are expected to be relatively short in duration.
Top of page

Why are we beginning to see radioactive material in precipitation on the east coast as well as on the west coast? Will we see these results across the entire country?
•EPA is beginning to receive verbal reports of elevated but trace levels of radioactive iodine in precipitation samples analyzed by State laboratories. EPA is analyzing our own RadNet samples at this time to confirm these reports. In the coming days, EPA will also issue guidance to communities on this. We continue to expect similar reports from state agencies and others across the nation given the nature and duration of the Japanese nuclear incident.

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 03:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by 00nunya00
reply to post by elouina

No clue. I'm totally uneducated about its physical properties, I just know it can be very poisonous to infants and babies, so I used cloth diapers for about a year. Beyond that, your guess is as good as mine. Either way, though, if it ends up in the sea, it's bad, because it's supposed to be keeping it out of the sea, LOL. If it gets in, it's just going to cause damage one way or another. Poison the food chain from the bottom up, or head start into the middle of the chain......just accelerates our exposure, I guess. 30+ years starts to make it not matter much. It's not like they're going to be able to get it all with this polymer, so this will just add an interestingly macabre side-plot to the whole thing.

Although not mentioned by me, another of my ideas was to use it as a temporary cork. Until they fix the leak. And they did say they were using it in the pipe that leads to the pit. Now I could be wrong, but it sounds like they are using it as a cork. So the threat of it getting into the ocean will be less. But still I feel this is the lesser of the evils. Smaller concentrated areas vs large quantaties of water. Every plan will have consequences. The biggest risk is to just do nothing.
edit on 3-4-2011 by elouina because: spelling

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 03:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

MOX has up to 7% or more Pu-239 and U-235. Conventional U-235 converts a small percentage to Pu-239 and other isotopes/elements (Pu-240, Americum, ceasium,iodine etc).

Therefore spent MOX has a larger percentage of Pu-239 than would be present in a U-235 fuelled reactor.

Only 1/3 of the rods are MOX and usually in the centre of the array of rods. Japan were reportedly experimenting with 50% MOX reactors and were supposedly going to be the worlds first 100% MOX reactor users.

www.world-nuclear.org...

Mixed Oxide (MOX) Fuel (Updated 21 March 2009)

Mixed oxide (MOX) fuel provides about 2% of the new nuclear fuel used today.
-snip

MOX fuel was first used in a thermal reactor in 1963, but did not come into commercial use until the 1980s. So far about 2000 tonnes of MOX fuel has been fabricated and loaded into power reactors. In 2006 about 180 tonnes of MOX fuel was loaded into over 30 reactors (mostly PWR) in Europe.

Today MOX is widely used in Europe and in Japan. Currently about 40 reactors in Europe (Belgium, Switzerland, Germany and France) are licensed to use MOX, and over 30 are doing so. In Japan about ten reactors are licensed to use it and several do so. These reactors generally use MOX fuel as about one third of their core, but some will accept up to 50% MOX assemblies. France aims to have all its 900 MWe series of reactors running with at least one third MOX. Japan also plans to use MOX in one third of its reactors in the near future and expects to start up a 1383 MWe (gross) reactor with a complete fuel loading of MOX at the Ohma plant in late 2014.2 Other advanced light water reactors such as the EPR or AP1000 will be able to accept complete fuel loadings of MOX if required.

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 03:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by monica86
reply to post by jadedANDcynical

I don't think it can be the base of the reactor where the torus is
The base is huge, look at the second video in my post, it shows it was put in place

videos construction of daiichi post by monica86

I'm not the one who said it was the torus, that was someone responding. what I originally posted was this:

Originally posted by jadedANDcynical

Originally posted by VinceH

Originally posted by zorgon
More closeups of damage

zorgon: do we know which reactor this pic if from? I'm wondering if it is #3.

Does anyone else think that the large green object in this picture might be the reactor top (obviously not where it belongs)

Vince

Originally posted by Silverlok
reply to post by TheRedneck

Compare those two pictures and tell me the one in the damaged building does not look like the top of the reactor vessel under construction. Not only that but it is offset from the center of the building. Every diagram I've seen shows the reactor in the center of the building.

IF that is indeed a portion of the reactor vessel, then it is been dislodged from it's original location and has several of its plates blown off.
edit on 31-3-2011 by jadedANDcynical because: Stupid iPhone typos

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 03:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99
I'm quite alarmed with this as the possible stakes just got higher. What I read was that mox fuel can be used in both fission and fusion. France had a fusion thing going and they were supplying Japan.
1 rod after fission creates 2 rod then fusion which in turn creates 1 rod so becomes a closed cycle chain reaction. And contaminates everything. If this were true they would be considering some dire things to stop this or mom would be dead, mom being earth.

I'm no particle expert but I can assure you that you are sniffing in the right direction. France or to be more accurate AREVA were in colaberation to produce the previoulsy unheard of 50% MOX reactors.

They obviously have profit margins to increase and were looking forward to 100% MOX reactors. They also experimented with from around 3% up to 20 odd % Pu-239/U-235 mixes.

Whilst progress is not a bad thing you have to realise that all the nuclear weapons tests ever conducted accumulatively did not involve the Pu-239 quantity that has just been blown sky high!! (In my opinion).

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 03:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Procharmo

I am reminded of Nuclear Wasteland 2030, apparently it's pretty good, and only about $1 now....

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 03:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Wertwog

This level of "cluelessness" is understandable given the steady diet of distraction the average person is being fed. Add to that an aversion to anything negative or "bubble bursting", then spice that up with some "no immediate impact to human health" topping and you've got a nice lie-latte to have with your Gaga.

This is yet another case of history repeating itself. Shortly before the Roman Empire crumbled the masses were distracted from the utter collapse occurring all around them by pacifying them with bread and circuses. I think most, if not all here would agree were seeing one hell of a circus in Japan right now with Ineptco as the ringleader. No wonder so many kids hate clowns...
edit on 3-4-2011 by Nucleardoom because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 03:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by qmantoo
This is the page with all the webcam images on it - updated hourly. Obviously this is not much use if there is nothing going on there. Still... it shows interesting stuff going on.

Page of webcam photos (look at the black one from 19:00 2nd Apr 2011)
pointscope01.jp/cgi-local/f1np/f1np1/imageview.cgi?mode=main_b

In the 2nd April 2011 at 19:00 one we can see a white heat spot.

Hi qmantoo-

Yes I noticed there was a bright spot last night. However, it's far away from the reactors and only shows up once, in contrast to the much dimmer night spot that shows up at the same place almost every night from March 20 onwards. If you sum up all 19:00 night images (ImageJ) some other incidental spots show up:

If you overlay this onto a daytime shot:

You see that last nights spots are somewhere near the docks, perhaps they are head lights? Other incidental spots are at sea, in the air, among the trees. Not sure if these could be just "noise".

The Mendel

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 03:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Wertwog

So you are mocking me because 1) I'm not a nuclear physicist or 2) you don't believe AREVA and the Japanese authorities were pushing the boundaries of MOX use in older BWR and modern reactors.

You may be right to do so. But it still stands that if spent uranium has x amount of plutonium then the spent plutonium and uranium will have more than x. (Even if that includes Pu-239 and Pu 240).

Also uranium rods start as pellets. MOX is already in a dust form making weather dispersion easier despite its weight.

If you tell me where I was wrong we can all learn from it. I'm sure not every reader of this thread has a PHD in particle theory.

www.world-nuclear.org...

In every nuclear reactor there is both fission of isotopes such as uranium-235, and the formation of new, heavier isotopes due to neutron capture, primarily by U-238. Most of the fuel mass in a reactor is U-238. This can become plutonium-239 and by successive neutron capture Pu-240, Pu-241 and Pu-242 as well as other transuranic isotopes (see page on Plutonium). Pu-239 and Pu-241 are fissile, like U-235. (Very small quantities of Pu-236 and Pu-238 are formed similarly from U-235.)

Normally, with the fuel being changed every three years or so, about half of the Pu-239 is 'burned' in the reactor, providing about one third of the total energy. It behaves like U-235 and its fission releases a similar amount of energy. The higher the burn-up, the less fissile plutonium remains in the used fuel. Typically about one percent of the used fuel discharged from a reactor is plutonium, and some two thirds of this is fissile (c. 50% Pu-239, 15% Pu-241). Worldwide, some 70 tonnes of plutonium contained in used fuel is removed when refuelling reactors each year.

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 04:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Procharmo

On the contrary, no mocking intended, my apologies if you were offended. I should have been clearer that the irony of the entire situation is shocking me... I am deeply concerned by the ramifications of the MOX fuel and the whole "French Connection" and appreciate your contribution. In a previous post I had been discussing distraction and it struck me that here is a game (distraction) about nuclear annihilation and your post made it even more plausible. That we can find the concept entertaining in a different context speaks to the deeply messed-up species we have become, jmo. Peace.

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 04:37 AM
link   
Pretty quiet here right now. So ends another night on this eternal thread. Last one out please get the lights.

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 04:51 AM
link   
reply to post by elouina

We've got almost noon here in Germany, so keep the news coming.
I just read in the Dutch news there was an aftershock.

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 04:51 AM
link   
reports are saying that the attempts to stop the leak have failed :-(

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 05:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Wertwog

No Problem, totally misunderstood on my part. Peace!

Back on topic. Although other forums should not be treated as credible sources there is a five page thread that has some good arguments for and against the likely hood of the Fukishima MOX powder having an effect on the world.

www.godlikeproductions.com...

It'd would be good if some of our mathematicians confirmed if some of the calculations in the thread seemed plausible.

Also here is a very in-depth analysis of the effects of plutonium on humans. There is very little real large scale knowledge and only a handful of conclusive experiments have been performed.

Most of what we know about Plutonium on humans is taken from the earlier radium experiences. (Yes, they used to bottle it and drink it).

www.fas.org...

It's a really good read as it goes some way to explaining where the 1microg = 2kg when it comes to Plutonium and Uranium with regards the the human biology. It also show that there was a misprint carried over to the rest of the net which quotes 1mg.

In July 1945, Wright Langham insisted that the 5-microgram standard be reduced
by a factor of 5 on the basis of animal experiments that showed that plutonium was
distributed in the bone differently, and more dangerously, than radium. Thus, the
maximum permissible body burden for plutonium was set at 1 microgram. That
limit was chosen to protect plutonium workers from the disasters that had befallen
the radium-dial painters

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 05:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Procharmo

No Problem, totally misunderstood on my part. Peace!

Back on topic. Although other forums should not be treated as credible sources there is a five page thread that has some good arguments for and against the likely hood of the Fukishima MOX powder having an effect on the world.

What's this about MOX powder?

The MOX rods are packed with ceramic pellets made of a mixture of uranium and plutonium.
They are not packed with loose powder.

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 07:15 AM
link   
Tepco failed to seal the radioactive leak, it is almost as from an episode of the Simpsons, (or maybe a late first of April?!):

Engineers put 8 kilograms of the polymeric water absorbent together with 60 kilograms of sawdust and three bags of shredded newspaper into pipes leading to a pit connected to the No. 2 reactor building where a 20-centimeter crack has been found to be leaking radioactive water into the Pacific Ocean, the agency said.

Source: english.kyodonews.jp...

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 07:40 AM
link   
I've been looking around for as many sources for individual and independent radiation readings in Japan. I found these two from Tokyo maybe an hour ago. Just tossing them out there in the interest of general info. Like all such sites, who can really vouch for them? But even so, if there is a government lockdown truth is likely to come from whatever grassroots there is out there. Worth a try, anyway.

www.radiationintokyo.com...

roseparsley.iobb.net...

If somebody out there is keepin a "master list" of sites like this and wants to share, I'll buy you a virtual beer...

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tarnished Templar
If somebody out there is keepin a "master list" of sites like this and wants to share, I'll buy you a virtual beer...

I'm not keeping a list but it looks like someone is at Google.

There's a list here in Japaneselink.
Some of the linked pages are difficult to navigate.

This one is more graphical here Japanese

There's a graphic here of where monitoring stations in the immediate area around Fukushima Daiichi are, but as you'll see there's no data available if you click the station. here

If you do a search for 'wherever' 'Prefecture' 'monitoring' you may find some links in English. MEXT has its own page in English.

top topics

<< 505  506  507    509  510  511 >>

join