It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 500.htm
<< 497  498  499    501  502  503 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wertwog
reply to post by SFA437

This ads up to 95% probability they arrived post explosion. Wow, that is interesting because I remember distinctly that the PR said there was an explosion and 2 workers were missing (might have to look that up). If they sent them up there after the explosion I find that highly negligent on TEPCO!

I while back I postulated on how one body might have stayed inside the building. Two is pretty damn improbable. Even the chances of the first one staying inside are along the odds of winning the lottery.

Either those aren't bodies, TEPCO sent them up post-blast or the Heart of Gold is hanging around generating infinite improbability fields

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aponi
I've been following this thread for about a hundred pages now. Thanks everyone for all your insight and discussion. I saw this a bit ago and thought you might find it interesting:

"US simulation predicted similar problems at Fukushima nuclear plant"

Welcome to AST, Aponi. TY for the link, I'm posting an excerpt from it, that I find well...chilling at best.

One part of the simulation assumes that an external AC power source as well as emergency diesel generators have been lost, which is what actually happened at the Fukushima No. 1 plant after the Great East Japan Earthquake and subsequent tsunami hit on March 11.

The simulation goes on to predict what would likely occur depending on how long the emergency batteries were operable as well as on how the emergency cooling mechanism was working.

If the batteries could be used for four hours, the simulation predicts that after five hours without external power, the fuel rods in the core would become exposed. Thirty minutes later, the fuel rods would reach 485 degrees and start producing hydrogen. Another 30 minutes later, the fuel rods would begin to melt, according to the simulation.

edit on 03/28/2011 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Kailassa

I don't understand how a person could believe something so terrible and still be a proponent of nuclear energy.

I don't see it as a black-and-white issue.

We must have energy. We do not want to use chemical fuels. Solar is way too expensive and inefficient. Wind is limited as is hydro. So if we do not want to use chemical, the only other source we have is nuclear. I would actually prefer wave power, as I believe that is a promising technology, but it isn't perfected yet.

I also believe, however, that nuclear power must be tightly controlled. It is an awesomely dangerous situation if containment is broken, as we are seeing. So we must make sure that containment is not broken. That means all BWR plants should, IMO, be shut down immediately and either scrapped or reworked into PWR plants. Nuclear plants should never be built on coastlines or on known fault lines. And certainly they should never have been placed in orbit!

But just because I see one guy driving at 100 mph through a residential area, it does not follow that I want to outlaw all driving. In the same vein, why would I want to outlaw nuclear power because one company is operating unsafely? Instead, that company should have been shut down long ago and the plant idled until someone trustworthy could take over.

Man is incredibly inventive. If we need other sources of energy badly enough we are capable of inventing/finding them.

No, no, no! Man is incredibly inventive, yes, but that does not mean we can change physical laws when they become inconvenient. Even if we did find an alternate energy source tomorrow (which I believe is completely possible), it will not produce the first watt on the grid for many years. A great example is the wave energy I mentioned: very impressive potential, much progress, but how many are operating right now?

Only a fool throws away what they have for dreams of what they might get.

TheRedneck

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by SFA437

Originally posted by Silverlok
reply to post by SFA437

There is no way to see 5 and 6 from that angle, everything else would be blocking it

Incorrect.

#5 has around 20m and #6 has around 27m of positive elevation above sea level.
Now please troll someone else for a change.

Hey what?

A bit of courtesy please. We don't call people trolls here without good reason, and Silverlok has proved he's no troll.
He's been a major contributor to this thread, and proved his intelligence.

If someone is wrong, just point it out nicely. People have been wrong before in this this thread, and have gracefully admitted the fact when it's been politely pointed out. Name-calling only polarises issues. We need to work together here.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Well when about every single post I make is met with incredulity from a single member despite a lack of any knowledge or research what do you suggest I call it?

I've made some mistakes- some pointed out by others and some I caught myself later on. According to one member every single post I have contributed here is wrong, even when I am right. I'll call em like I see em.

I do agree on working together to try and get as much info out as possible but just because I'm a FNG here doesn't mean I'm going to be someone's personal punching bag.
edit on 2-4-2011 by SFA437 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Seattle news
www.kirotv.com...

The contaminated water will quickly dissipate into the sea and is not expected to cause any health hazard, but pooling water at the Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear power plant has hampered the work of technicians trying to stabilize the complex's reactors. Pouring concrete has so far failed to fill the crack.

Quickly dissipate?
Yeah....OK thank you... idiots nothing on seaweed.... I'm writing the reporter

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   
TEPCO press release: TEPCO

Currently, we are preparing to block up the leakage by injecting concrete to the crack.

Now that sounds like they're going to use all kinds of specialized equipment to "inject" the crack with concrete under pressure and seal it up doesn't it?

Reality is they dumped a cement mixer full into a hole.

Why is it so hard to get a simple, straight answer out of these guys? They have to realize by now that nobody believes a word they say.

edit on 2-4-2011 by SFA437 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Well when about every single post I make is met with incredulity from a single member despite a lack of any knowledge or research what do you suggest I call it?

I've made some mistakes- some pointed out by others and some I caught myself later on. According to one member every single post I have contributed here is wrong, even when I am right. I'll call em like I see em.

I do agree on working together to try and get as much info out as possible but just because I'm a FNG here doesn't mean I'm going to be someone's personal punching bag.

No-one on a forum has a right to not be disagreed with.
Anyone disagreeing with you has done so politely. No-one has treated you as a punching bag.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Either those aren't bodies, TEPCO sent them up post-blast or the Heart of Gold is hanging around generating infinite improbability fields

Actually we could use the "Heart of Gold's" drive, or a good infinitely deep black hole to scoop this mess into.

A bit impractical but sure would be handy.

link   

Originally posted by Kailassa

No-one on a forum has a right to not be disagreed with.
Anyone disagreeing with you has done so politely. No-one has treated you as a punching bag.

If that's how you see it- that's how you see it. I see it differently.

I'll keep my personal opinions of a certain member private and move on.

link   
reply to post by rbrtj

Typical Assiated Press........ no reporter to call on the carpet.
No typo on my part either.
I remember the local reporters name who went to Tokyo to get there to be turned back.
He was the first one a week or so ago to try to give seaweed samples from the US to the US government and gave up and sent them to Canada instead.
You guys get along tooo we got enough problems with out our team fighting..PLEASE

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Here is a video in french of the radiation dispersed from Japan nucleur reactor until March 25, 2011.

www.irsn.fr...

Sorry if I double posted but wanted to make sure you ATS members can see this video before it gets hacked/deleted

This looks bad but hopefully all the radiation dispersed is in low amounts??

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wertwog

Yes, if these are bodies, they also appear to be clean and intact,

I've noticed the same scene with 2 slightly different angles in this video @ 2:38 and 2:40.

The broken pipe is visible in all three shots, I've marked it for reference.

However, it sits on an open outside wall directly beside the concrete truck spray arm.
I don't think they could miss seeing it there, if it was a body.

edit on 4/2/11 by makeitso because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by rbrtj

Thanks you!

BREAKING NEWS

Power company reports 2 missing Fukushima nuclear plant workers found dead on site

This was reported just now on Breaking News -Kyodo News

Kyodo - Breaking News Link

www.breakingnews.com...

ETA: Are these the two workers that were missing back from the 15th? Went looking...wish I had not.

From March 16th, 2011.

The few details Tokyo Electric has made available paint a dire picture. Five workers have died since the quake and 22 more have been injured for various reasons, while two are missing. One worker was hospitalized after suddenly grasping his chest and finding himself unable to stand, and another needed treatment after receiving a blast of radiation near a damaged reactor. Eleven workers were injured in a hydrogen explosion at reactor No. 3.www.nytimes.com...

I assume these deaths are from radiation?
edit on 2-4-2011 by burntheships because: to add March 16th report of two missing

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

So they are watching

this thread

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 10:02 PM
link   
'Found dead'. As in radiation poisoning dead?
edit on 2-4-2011 by MedievalGhost because: (no reason given)

link   

TEPCO says bodies of 2 missing #Fukushima-1 nuclear plant workers found on the site.
18 minutes ago via ÜberSocial Retweeted by 30 people W7VOA Steve Herman

twitter.com...

Whoa! I wonder if those missing workers are the ones found by the members on this site!

link   
reply to post by makeitso

I see the lower man is walking and the other image very well could me an optical ellusion.
I wish I had the machine to do a frame by frame.
Does the lower man who looks alive in this latest set of images go to the corner to catch his breath or ?

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 10:03 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

Redneck, I value your expertise and hope you know that I have utmost respect for your opinions, but I must disagree with you on this.

If alternate energy solutions had the same level of investment and attention as the nuclear industry, we would now be reaping the rewards of a much safer, cleaner energy future. Nuclear power is simply not needed. Great advancements in solar energy are being made, including storage and GW increases and with the subsidy that nuclear receives could be made economical and even more plausible for the future. I think we will need an array of solutions, instead of just one. Solar on all rooftops and work for the locale, solar tower power solutions are showing huge promise, in combination with microhydro, wind, geothermal, photosynthetic power, and even wave power, can all be collectively implemented and added to the grid. Not as one single solution, but a whole range of solutions implemented together. We need to diversify our power grid and rely on a multitude of solutions working together to contribute. Massive investment is needed NOW into these solutions, nuclear is simply a drain (vampire) taking away $$ that could be spent in these areas.

I am not convinced that humans have the ability to control nuclear. This accident is a graphic example. The "experts" were simply too short-sighted profit motivated as is the rest of the industry IMO. Human beings will be fallible, and until we are infallible, this technology is far too dangerous. Your analogy to the car being driven through the suburb by a reckless idiot is spurious. I've seen many such analogies. Nuclear power can destroy millions of lives, make our earth uninhabitable, it is in no-way comparible to any other technology, especially not a car no matter how responsible the driver. It is this failure of average people to grasp it's destructive potential that the nuclear industry relies on to downplay the risks. It is also because we want to believe, we want to think we are so smart we can harness the potential of nuclear power. It lights up scientific minds like an enticing chocolate sundae to a diabetic man. It's a sexy challenge, if only we could just do this and that...(make safer containment vessels, not build on fault lines, etc etc). It's impossible not to find the challenge thrilling and the payoff huge. However, what I'm saying is we just aren't capable. Humans are NOT capable of controlling every variable every moment of the day, and that is what is required for nuclear power to be safe. Think of all the mistakes humans make. The mistakes of the legislative bodies, the politicians lining their pockets, the scientists taking payoffs, contractors, engineers working for firms needing business, all the links in the chain that need to be perfect for nuke power to be as "safe" as you say it can be. My belief is there are too many links, humans too greedy and fallible, for this to happen. It's just that simple.

Folks who have vested their careers and livelihoods into something, expending large amounts of effort, tend to believe more and more in it's value - it's intrinsic worthiness - it's a basic psychological principle. I understand that effort, I don't blame workers who are trying to feed their families, especially in an economy that leaves few choices. I do believe there are many highly technical jobs available for folks who will put their brilliance and creative energies into alternative energy industries. Many breakthroughs remain to be found and a name can be had by brilliant men. Much better to put the force of these minds to work for something that will sustain (not destroy) our world and our lives.

I don't mean in anyway to demean your livelihood and you are obviously a high-value asset to the the plant you work at. I don't work in the industry and I'm just a private citizen without any particular bent except I would like to live a long healthy life, lol, and want that for the rest of my fellow humans. I see nuclear power as a huge threat to that basic need.

Of course, I know that we can respectfully disagree on this issue and don't want to derail the thread. Just wanted to respond to your post.
edit on 2-4-2011 by Wertwog because: spelling mistake

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by burntheships
reply to post by rbrtj

BREAKING NEWS

Power company reports 2 missing Fukushima nuclear plant workers found dead on site

This was reported just now on Breaking News -Kyodo News

www.breakingnews.com...

I am assuming the casualties are from radiation.

They are reading here...TY for posting. Hope they expand on that one sentence in a follow up story. Like, what site, when...did they actually retrieve them this time....little things like that.

Des..
edit on 03/28/2011 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 497  498  499    501  502  503 >>

join