It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 494.htm
<< 491  492  493    495  496  497 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

I use to be one of those sheep, but not no more!!!

thank you I'll go back to ghosting the thread.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by rbrtj

I hope that my comments were not misunderstood.
I was not commenting on your post...but the article by MSNBC.

I actually agree that when I saw the title, I was left with the very same thoughts as you.

Then I had to go back and read it again and think about it. My apologies if I was less than clear.

Its the media thats so blatantly disgusting with their spin...

Edit to add...that is exactly the type of social reponse MSNBC hopes to create with
that title. Divide, distract, and decieve.

edit on 2-4-2011 by burntheships because: To clarify

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by imlite

Something else interesting to note - up until a week ago few if any workers were wearing radiation suits or gas masks. Now in all the pictures we see, even on the water barges coming into dock they are wearing full radiation clothing.

I think you are on to something with that observation. As the triple meltdown is proceeding the radiation at the site has increased daily. Hence more protective clothing, and you will see it further away from the site.

I know that the nuclear reactions will eventually stop as the plants run out of fuel but, there is an awful lot of fuel on site.

Note; Traditionally a reactor is said to be critical when the number of disintegration's per second begins to increase without limit. If the fuel is separated and under water you can NOT reach criticality in these reactor designs. When the plants blew up, particularly #3 it is obvious to me that a critcality accident had taken place, the fuel had melted and formed a critical mass at the bottom of the reactor and suddenly (within seconds) released a tremendous amount of heat, and boom.

Believe it or not this can be a good thing. The chances of #3 going critical again are very low, as all the fuel is scattered around the plant and turned to dust or burned in the explosion. Technically it wasn't a nuclear bomb because it would have had to be set off in nano seconds not seconds, so it left a lot of radioactive debris that a nuclear bomb would not have.(Yea, umm #3 had plutonium in it (MOX), which helps explain why it was able to reach a critical mass)

At least reactor 3 is shut off. I can't say the same about 1 and 2. 4 is looking to cause the most long term problem, fighting a losing battle on that one every day. (and it's not even fueled, spent fuel pool is broken)

---
Note Disclaimer; There is data to prove or disprove this criticality accident hypothesis. 1> Neutron readings at the time of the explosion. 2> fallout analysis to determine isotope production at the time of the explosion.
edit on 2-4-2011 by SDoradus because: Got to have a disclaimer. This is just a hypothesis after all.

edit on 2-4-2011 by SDoradus because: Spelling IS important.

I don't mind being wrong and in this case Fukisima reports that the reactor vessel is just fine with high pressure readings. The blast was just a hydrogen explosion.

I feel relived and am glad that this is not what it looks like. Of course the bad news then is it can still get worse at #3.
Analysis by Power Plant company
edit on 2-4-2011 by SDoradus because: Contraditory reports by experts tell me my hypotesis of a criticality accident causing the explosion is all wet.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by JustMike
reply to post by OuttaHere

Yes. No way that crack is 20 cm wide. (PS for members who are not so familiar with metric: 20 cm is eight inches.) But then, did they say it was 20 cm wide, or just 20 cm?

Judging by TEPCO's previous level of precision I wouldn't be surprised if they said it was simply 20.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   
I know I'm practically brain numb at this time...but, in searching for something else, this popped up.

KORIYAMA, Japan (AP) — The U.N. nuclear agency says Japan has declared a state of emergency at another earthquake-affected nuclear plant where higher-than-permitted levels of radioactivity were measured.

The International Atomic Energy Agency says Japan informed it that the source of the radioactivity at the Onagawa power plant is being investigated. It said all three reactors at the plant are under control.

Then expanded my search and found this.

TOKYO, March 13 | Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:50am EDT

TOKYO, March 13 (Reuters) - Japan's nuclear safety agency said on Sunday there was no problem with the cooling process at Tohoku Electric Power Co's (9506.T) Onagawa nuclear power plant and that a rise in radiation levels there was due to radiation leakage at another plant in a neighbouring prefecture.

Guess all those "safe/low" readings of levels at Fukushima Daiichi were a little higher than they thought huh.

And this Folks, is how they get caught, in their own lies.

Des

edit on 03/28/2011 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   
here's the current radiation levels in california for april 2, 2011
www.radiationnetwork.com...

i'm not worried and i live in the central valley 90 miles east of san francisco

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

And recall that #4, the first one that gave off those sounds, didn't even have fuel in the core. That means no pressurization whatsoever.

Do you have a theory, or explanation for a layman such as myself, as to how, if there was no pressure at #4, the first reported boom at #4 could be suspected as being the suppression chamber/taurus (as described first hand from that quote - originally posted p476 by buffet of lies":

A ghastly boom was heard in the suppression chamber of reactor 4, said Kenji Tada, who was there at the time. Cracks started ripping in the asphalt and the sides of the building. They fled before the tsunami arrived and did its worst.

www.watoday.com.au/world/fukushima-fifty-in-their-own-word s

Is there any possibility it was actually in service (which would of course be a major can of worms for TEPCO given the history of #4 and the revelations also noted on this thread about confessions of a damaged pressure vessel/core casting at #4....? Or do you think it may be an inaccurate account, as perhaps the stories about uneducated labour may give room for? What am I missing?

[*One other idea: could the boom(s) thought to come from the Taurus/base of that enourmous internal structure, have actually been simply massive structural failures (under immense weight, and in very strong components) being 'broken' or disconnected by significant earth/rock movement in the EQ? I'd imagine that at close quarters some failures could sound just like explosions?]
edit on 2-4-2011 by curioustype because: *Point added - tidier in this post I thought?

edit on 2-4-2011 by curioustype because: Corrected typo/spelling and added proper link to buffet of lies post.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

I can't get the image of the three monkeys: see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil out of my head when I look at this pic.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

No offence taken at all... I understood completely and appriciate your logic.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Naoto Kan and the End of 'Japan Inc.'

Beginning in the early 1950s, the LDP was financed heavily by the CIA as a bulwark against the once-powerful Japanese left, and successive LDP governments acted as a junior partner to the United States in the cold war. While Washington provided the weapons (and the soldiers) to fight communism, the Japanese elite provided military bases and profited by funneling economic aid and investments to US allies in South Korea, Indonesia, the Philippines and elsewhere. At home, the LDP and its corporate backers fought ferociously to suppress labor unions and civic groups that organized to protect workers, human rights and the environment. The end result was an LDP-created “Japan Inc.”—an undemocratic, corporatist state in which bureaucrats blessed and promoted nuclear power and other industries they were supposed to regulate, and then received lucrative jobs in those industries upon retirement—a system known as amakudari.

Leadership missing (From NY times)

Evasive news conferences followed uninformative briefings as the crisis intensified over the past five days. Never has postwar Japan needed strong, assertive leadership more — and never has its weak, rudderless system of governing been so clearly exposed.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by curioustype

Thankyou for this link I put it on all our computer tool bars.
By the way I'm located between Seattle and Portland on I-5 in a town called Chehalis.
Partly sunny with gust of high wind coming from the south.
I have told my family to no longer go out in the rain and they looked at me like I was nuts and still flew to Hawaii this morning.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   
YouTube video of one of the Fukushima diachi reactors being built.
www.youtube.com...

edit on 2-4-2011 by imlite because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by buffet of lies

The core at #4 would have been open and empty , so when the quake ("shock") wave hit it would have rung that open core like a bell, because it is like a 5-1/2 or six story bell it would be a very deep sound ( long sound wave ) and because it would have been 'focused' out the the narrow top (like a smoke ring generator) it most likely would have been the source of a before the wave boom

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chakotay
By the way, the BLUE STAR TOPAZ is Texas State Gem... Blue Star Kachina.
edit on 2-4-2011 by Chakotay because: CLASSIFIED

Just a quick FYI----the whole red/blue star kachina thing was all BS some dude made up back in the 60's and 70's. Never, ever found in Hopi literature or stories before this kid made it up. Much more interesting true stuff like the Snake People, though.

The only prophecies that have ever concerned white people and their future were disclosed at the UN, and is part of the official public record.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone

KORIYAMA, Japan (AP) — The U.N. nuclear agency says Japan has declared a state of emergency at another earthquake-affected nuclear plant where higher-than-permitted levels of radioactivity were measured.

The International Atomic Energy Agency says Japan informed it that the source of the radioactivity at the Onagawa power plant is being investigated. It said all three reactors at the plant are under control.

So, as expected, there are other plants with major problems. But I also see that no details have been given - except for the accident rating being the same as Fukushima R4. I wonder if they are as 'under control' as the reactors at Fukushima?

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by curioustype

You answered your own question:

[*One other idea: could the boom(s) thought to come from the Taurus/base of that enourmous internal structure, have actually been simply massive structural failures (under immense weight, and in very strong components) being 'broken' or disconnected by significant earth/rock movement in the EQ? I'd imagine that at close quarters some failures could sound just like explosions?]

That is exactly what I am saying.

TheRedneck

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wertwog

Originally posted by Regenstorm

Just as an aside, as I'm not scientific but appreciate very much all the thoughts and energy being put into this thread, I am good at noticing things. I notice that in this lovely "kodak moment" with the crack that the worker appears to have no dosimeter... anywhere. Now, he's supposed to be standing beside a nasty crack emitting huge levels of radiation right? This is a joke, but it's just flaunting to the public that they care less for worker safety. Not even bothering to even pretend, but putting it right in our faces. I can imagine that the photographer likely doesn't have one either. Notice the "noise" in the image also (looks a little like rain). This can be from just generally poor resolution, but it could also be radiation effecting the camera.

I feel sorry for the photographer - I assume he has a leg either side of that crack, and guess where that radiation is directed...

Joking aside, you're right - it does indeed look like a 'kodak moment'. If they want details or to catologue the crack then take actual pictures of it, not of someone pointing to it !

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by jimmyx
here's the current radiation levels in california for april 2, 2011

i'm not worried and i live in the central valley 90 miles east of san francisco

Good for you. Now do yourself a favor and actually read this thread

-----

A while back someone asked about cameras around the plant, and it was speculated that the cameras were subcontracted but that Tepco controlled the data, that turns out to be (possibly)correct (unsubstantiated, anyone care to confirm) . One of the reactors even had thermal cameras installed around it , now why would one of the reactors need thermal and not all of them ? could it be that someone might have been a little worried about extra heat from say MOX. anyone want to bet if the thermals were on reactor three?

The Jerusalem Post on Monday, Magna’s head, Haim Siboni, said the thermal cameras also had the ability to detect the presence of radioactive clouds in the air, but added that Magna had not been able to gain access to the images recorded by the cameras at this time." Stunningly not even the contractor is allowed to see its own recorded data: "Although Magna is able to gain remote access to its computer system, which receives the cameras’ images, Siboni said his company had not yet been authorized to do so. “We have not been allowed to take control remotely yet,”

Posted back on the 19th, but an important tid bit is the thermal imagining of the radiation in clouds, that sure could be embarrassing for Tepco, even still

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

You're on to something here.......a state of emergency was called at the Onagawa plant on Sunday, March 13th due to excessive levels of radiation being detected. Officials then determined that the radiation was attributed to Fukushima and that no radiation was leaking at Onagawa.

The Onagawa plant is 50 kilometers S/SW of Fukushima.

So......enough radiation was leaking from Fukushmi on Saturday/Sunday to cause a state of emergency 50k away yet officials only called for a 30k evacuation???

ETA: And that's with the prevailing winds LIKELY blowing in the opposite direction....out to sea (although I have no way to confirm this, but almost every weather forecast I see on NHK supports this).

I'm at a loss for words.....

edit on 2-4-2011 by buskey because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

Thanks, as you can tell that was bugging me.

Those are the key differences between this and Chernobyl I think, that when eventually someone makes a nice clear computer rendering of what REALLY happened, it will show that the quake caused so much damage to both the key structures of the recators and the (very dodgy) turbine plumbing, but also put fractures in the ground beneath them, and THEN you got those big explosions...

I still wonder what the story re: water/coolant loss with the SFR ponds was though, I wouldn't be surprised if it is eventually found that when looking at the full set of them (i.e. all reactors) it may be a combination of EQ damage (leaks), explosion damage (leaks), as well as displacement/evaporation from the explosion, and evaporation via over-heating SFRs - a combination that may vary from one building to another?

I'm tired, time for sleep.

new topics

top topics

<< 491  492  493    495  496  497 >>

join