It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 491.htm
<< 488  489  490    492  493  494 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by makeitso

Originally posted by makeitso

Tepco's image is not much better

How do they propose to seal that hole if the radiation is above 1 Sievert per hour in the pit? HOW MUCH above 1 Sievert per hour is it? I wish for once they'd get their hands on a meter that can measure above 1 Sievert per hour and give the public some accurate numbers.

I would think being a NPP they would have access to meters that can read high radiation levels. I just don't get it.

Surely they are not thinking of sending human beings into that pit to seal the crack? How did they get the reading or ascertain that there was a crack in that location unless they have already sent someone in there? O_o
edit on 2-4-2011 by OuttaHere because: duh

[edit]NVM - No doubt the plan is to simply pump the pit full of concrete. Still, they had to send someone in there to observe the crack and take the reading.
[/edit]

edit on 2-4-2011 by OuttaHere because: duh

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by OuttaHere

Yes. No way that crack is 20 cm wide. (PS for members who are not so familiar with metric: 20 cm is eight inches.) But then, did they say it was 20 cm wide, or just 20 cm?

Also agree with Des that the image there is just a kodak moment. Or better, a Nikon moment...

However, they now have a dilemma: it's been announced they're sealing the crack with concrete. That's not such a great idea, because concrete doesn't flex very well and any decent aftershock in the region could let it leak again. A silicon-based filler would be much better as it'll flex and the right type has excellent adhesive properties. Lasts for years as well. It's not likely to be a repair to anything that's load-bearing so silicon's way better than concrete. They could even use fast-setting two-pack epoxy resin if they want to seal things like this in a hurry.

Where temperature or load is not a problem then that's what I'd do for repairs like this in a seismically-active area. Use synthetics, not concrete.

Mike

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by mrbillshow

Yes, and a star for that concise, well thought out opinion...

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by JustMike

Originally posted by JustMike
reply to post by OuttaHere

Yes. No way that crack is 20 cm wide. (PS for members who are not so familiar with metric: 20 cm is eight inches.) But then, did they say it was 20 cm wide, or just 20 cm?

Also agree with Des that the image there is just a kodak moment. Or better, a Nikon moment...

Yes, I concur. I was stating the obvious, which I am told I am quite good at. Still, some real pictures and real information would be most excellent at this time. I think we are all sick to death of TEPCO insulting our intelligence.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by JustMike

The crack was said to be about twelve inches long. Then 20 cm was mentioned, without regard to length or width, I believe. The two dimenions are approximately the same.
So we are left to believe that the crack is about 1 foot long, but then we have to believe TEPCO, eh?

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   
I can't help noticing that the crack in the picture does not match the description of a 20cm crack in a pit:

couldnt resist,

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   
This is an excellent radiation chart.. easy to read and appealing to someone like me who likes illustrations to go along with facts

Radiation Chart (Effects on Health) *Clickity Click*

In a press release on the 2nd April NISA reported the following. Water with dose rate of greater than 1000 millisievert/hr was confirmed by TEPCO at around 00:30 UTC on 2nd April in a pit housing cables located next to the Unit 2 sea water inlet point.
Source
Honestly, this is ridiculous.. "dose rate of greater than 1000 milisievert/hr".. Well, um, okay, so it could be 2000 for all we know.. 10,000 for all we know. We all know Tepco & the governments aren't exactly excited to give us civilians the correct numbers and "greater than 1000 milisievert/hr" leaves their options open. I live in West Texas and in comparison with Japan I have nothing to worry about. However, last night watching my beautiful 3 year old daughter gulp down a glass of milk I became angry. My husband isn't very interested in current events, kind of irritating.. so when do I stand up and take the glass of milk away from my daughter? I just hope if and when that time comes tptb will let us know. Esp. if minor precautions can be taken (as in taking away milk). Its also heartbreaking to think about the 'Jumpers'. It is easy to take lifes when you put the blinders on. Tepco isn't able to see the family that will starve to death because Daddy who is the sole provider comes home and gets sick and dies. We surely do live in troubled times.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by XRaDiiX
reply to post by Vitchilo

I live in the Great lakes Mega region in Canada should i be worried about radiation if the planet continues to leak? I'm pretty sure that the Jetstream runs right over our area sometimes i live in Canadian part of southern Ontario. I'm between Ontario and Lake Erie in Niagara region.

If this plant keeps leaking Radiation won't it the radiation exposure keep building up isn't Cesium's half life 30 years?
The situation seems doom and gloom right now

en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 2-4-2011 by XRaDiiX because: (no reason given)

There are two factors here Cs production and Cs concentration..

PRODUCTION

When the reactions stop, as they will, the total amount of Cs-137 produced will be fixed and not change. 10 x 30 years and the Cs will be gone in 300 years. In the year 2311 there will barely be a trace of today's reactor accident (At least in Cs-137)

CONCENTRATION

As the plant erodes into the sea over the next 300 years and is hit by a tsunami 3 or more times, ALL of the soluble radioactive materials will wash into the ocean or be blown into the atmosphere. The trick is to keep it locked up in a big radioactive waste dome on the site or nearby, which will have to be constructed. Eventually over thousands of years all of the plant will erode into the sea.

Fighting the ocean is always a losing battle.
edit on 2-4-2011 by SDoradus because: spelling

edit on 2-4-2011 by SDoradus because: Make myself more clear

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Speaking of cracks.....

By David Nakamura, Saturday, April 2, 12:40 PM www.washingtonpost.com...

Radioactive water found leaking into sea from pit at Japan plant

TOKYO — Authorities discovered highly radioactive water leaking from the crippled Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant into the ocean Saturday, the latest sign that the desperate strategies being used to cool the overheating reactors could be creating new problems.

The toxic water had pooled by an almost eight-inch-long crack in the concrete wall of a pit at the No. 2 reactor where power cables are stored, Japan’s nuclear regulatory office said. The radioactivity level in the air above the water was measured at 1,000 millisieverts per hour, four times the maximum level that workers can be exposed to under Japanese law.

Emergency crews poured concrete into the crack Saturday afternoon and again in the evening in a bid to stem the leak, the Yomiuri Shimbun newspaper reported.

Hidehiko Nishiyama, deputy director general of Japan’s Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency, said the government has instructed Tokyo Electric Power Co., which operates the power plant, to examine the facility for other potential leaks.

“Today we found highly irradiated water in the pit where the electricity cables are contained,” Nishiyama said at a news conference. “It seems that there is a crack on the side of the concrete wall of the pit. Some water is spilling out of the crack to the sea.”

The discovery raised the disconcerting possibility that the power company’s decision to drench the reactors with tens of thousands of tons of water in an attempt to submerge the exposed spent fuel rods is having an unintended side effect.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheRedneck
. If it succeeds, they can grout over that little crack and announce how they have fixed the leak.

Well no... not this time... They poured in concrete but 6 hours later it had not set and the amount of leaking flow is too high and still leaking into the ocean. They plan to try a polymer tomorrow (Sunday) to absorb this water

They are still saying that they need to darin the basements into the condesors but they need to drain those into the storage tanks first but they need to empty the storage tank first .... so bottom line... no advancement and water is still flowing to sea..

They are still showing this old image while saying they are still pumping in water... getting old show me a recent picture

TEPCO says they will show daily radiation levels on there website BUT since the automatic monitoring equipment is toast, they will need to send in a worker daily to get those readings... nice

People in Japan are staring to demand accurate info

Some Good News...

Coast guard rescued a dog stranded on floating debris for three weeks

Now I need COFFEE with just a touch of Cesium to get the engine started

edit on 2-4-2011 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone
I just realized...they kinda let the kitten out of the bag, with that diagram, I think Zorgon posted, of the new "rehabilitation plan". The last line makes total sense now...

PLUG LEAK!

Your right...

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   

-At around 11:35 am April 1st, a worker fell into the sea when he got into a barge of the U.S. Forces to repair a hose of the ship. The worker was rescued immediately, and was not injured and not contaminated.

The worker will be checked using the whole-body counter to ensure his health.

Tepco Press Release

edit on 4/2/11 by makeitso because: (no reason given)

edit on Sat Apr 2 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: --Off Topic, One Liners and General Back Scratching Posts--

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

TEPCO says they will show daily radiation levels on there website BUT since the automatic monitoring equipment is toast, they will need to send in a worker daily to get those readings... nice

-Monitoring posts of No. 1 No.8 set up near the boundary of power
station area have been restored. We will periodically monitor the data
and announce the results of monitoring.

Tepco Press Release (Apr 02,2011)

However, the same press release indicates they wont be reporting "minor" variations in data anymore.

From now on, if the measured figure fluctuates and goes above and below
500 micro Sv/h, we deem that as the continuous same event and will not
regard that as a new specific incidents stipulated in article 15, clause
1 of the Act on Special Measures Concerning Nuclear Emergency Preparedness
(Abnormal increase in radiation dose measured at site boundary) has
occurred. In the interim, if we measure a manifestly abnormal figure and
it is evident that the event is not the continuous same event, we will
determine and notify.

Originally posted by zorgon

They are still saying that they need to darin the basements into the condesors but they need to drain those into the storage tanks first but they need to empty the storage tank first .... so bottom line... no advancement and water is still flowing to sea..

Well... Not much advancment anyway.

Draining water from underground floor of turbine buildings
-In regard with transferring water from a condensate storage tank to a
suppression pool water surge-tank in unit 1, work began at 0:00 pm March
31st and continued until around 3:30 pm on April 2nd.

edit on 4/2/11 by makeitso because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrbillshow
I'm not buying the "crack' being the source of the radiated ocean water.

That crack they showed is surface and easy to see... they would have seen that crack on day one... not need three weeks to 'discover' it. They probably read Rednecks post on the crack and threw that one in. I mean how could they have missed this?

Also how is THAT crack related to this pit?

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   
More ripples:

If there is a new release of radiation from Japan's crippled Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant today, its fallout may reach the vicinity of Taiwan around the evening of April 6, the Government Information Office (GIO) said in a statement yesterday.

Source

Ripples in a pond reflect off of anything they encounter and begin interacting with further ripples. This is especially true if the source of the ripples is ongoing.

We can expect more and more effects to continue to radiate outward from Fukushima and those ripples in turn will create others.

This is obviously a global event.
edit on 2-4-2011 by jadedANDcynical because: Typos

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Am I alone in smelling copious amounts of BS with this 20 cm crack story?
I might be more enticed to feed on what they are saying if they said the crack was 20 cm wide.

They want us to believe that the current poisoning of the Pacific Ocean is due to what is flowing from a crack in concrete that is 8 inches long? Maybe if under thousands of pounds of preure, but it wouldn't be a crack for very long at that!

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   
In thinking abou cracks in concrete, these would be due to seismic stresses imparted from the bedrock the plant is built on. Cracks above imply cracks below. When planting in pots you put Fricker rock or potsherds in the bottom to provide for better drainage.

If the bedrock is crumbled and riddled with cracks from the quake (and ongoing aftershocks) the ENTIRE site is leaking like a sieve and a few tons of concrete, epoxy, or filler of your choice won't do a whole lot of good. You're gong to need to backfill mass amounts to have even the slightest hope of slowing, much less stopping, the leakage.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone
I think Tepco is a little like an octopus, many arms, but, no central brain to guide those arms. IMO, Tepco is using any, and all means, to justify "after the fact", everything they are doing in the present.

TEPCO press conference... one statement only carried on NHK

They don't look too happy...

[Paraphrased] "To tell you the truth, about the reactors and the spent fuel pools, is a very difficult task. We can't expect to say it will be controlled any time soon"

It should be on Kyodo soon

Funny how we get one story on NHK and a different story shows up later on Tepco's site...
edit on 2-4-2011 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   
english.kyodonews.jp...

Radiation below legal limits found in farm, sea products near Fukushima
TOKYO, April 3, Kyodo

The health ministry said Saturday that lower levels of radiation materials than the legal limits were detected in farm products and seafood in and around Fukushima Prefecture where the crippled nuclear power plant is located.

In Fukushima, 33 out of 49 vegetables and fruits had radioactive cesium and iodine but their levels were below the limits set under the food sanitation law, the Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare said.

''There is a possibility of proliferation of radioactive substances abating,'' a ministry official said.

Four farm products in Niigata Prefecture, west of Fukushima, did not contain either of the radioactive substances, while cesium was detected in five marine products off the coast of Ibaraki Prefecture but was well below the limit.

Samples of seawater taken some 20 to 30 kilometers off the coast near the radiation-leaking Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant, which was crippled in the wake of March 11 mega quake and ensuing tsunami, had lower levels of iodine and cesium than their limits, the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology said.

The amount of radiation in the air in Ibaraki and Tokyo continued to fall on Saturday, and Kanagawa Prefecture saw it return to normal levels, according to data compiled by the ministry.

==Kyodo

Questions that need to be asked...but won't by the lapdog Japanese press.

1. How much lower? 1%?
2. What vegetables and fruits?
3. Which four farm products in Nigata? Tubers? Leafy plants?
4. Why only four? Did you test other products? You tested 49 in Fukushima.
5. What five marine products? Seaweed? Lichens? Clams? Anchovies? Pelagics like tuna?
6. Why only off Ibaraki? How about Fukushima prefecture? How about 100 yards from the plant?
7. Why seawater 20-30 kilometers "off the coast" instead of near the coast? Is this inside or outside the normal currents flowing south? How much "lower"?
8. What was the prevailing wind pattern at the time of measurement? How much do wind patterns play in high and low readings? Do you endeavor to take air readings downwind from the plant everyday and where are those posted?

I'm sure participants can come up with a few more.

new topics

top topics

<< 488  489  490    492  493  494 >>

join