It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 488.htm
<< 485  486  487    489  490  491 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 03:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Soulwarrior
reply to post by SFA437

I've very much been captivated by your breakdown of the blast at the Fukushima plant and I'd like to toss an idea your way and see if it has any validity. So, for your review...

I think we are all pretty settled on that in the reactor building hydrogen and oxygen existed in sufficient amounts to trigger a blast. Now if for whatever reason that blast was the first in a series would it be possible that the force from it would be capable of at least causing a slight breech of the multiple layers of concrete in the access directly on top of the reactor pressure vessel?

Additionally, after the hydrogen explosion in the reactor buildings over pressurization effect would a negative pressure exist that would allow extreme pressures of hydrogen within a compromised RPV to rapidly expand and then ignite?

I could imagine then it would result in the incredibly directed upward explosion using the RPV and its surrounding concrete tomb as the means of providing it that incredible upward direction.

I put this idea forth to the thread. Maybe those booms that where not explosive in nature are the fracturing of the layers of concrete in the access on top of the reactor core that we've seen in the cutaway diagrams as ignited gasses underneath came tearing out. I'll differ to the SME's on this for sure.

Soul

The MK I GE BWR has a poor flange design. An overpressure could have ripped the bolts out releasing whatever was inside under pressure.

The containment system in general is flawed as well so the rapid pressurization and depressurization could have compromised the secondary containment allowing the corium that had eaten through primary to come into contact with the flooded lower levels and up she goes.

The third scenario is that the booms heard are containment failures which allow the hydrogen to collect within the building with the corium still sitting on the floor. One failure, two failures, three failures and the hot corium comes into contact with the hydrogen touching off the first blast which opens the breach wide and allows a large amount of seawater in. The resultant steam explosion takes the path of least resistance which is straight up through the RPV and blows the lid off like an overheated pressure cooker.

The third scenario fits what I observed on the video a bit better. There's about a 0.6 second delay between primary and secondary explosions but I'm not a nuke guy.

I'll put possibilities out there if I am unsure of something and let the guys who know how these things are screwed together pick the correct one or offer corrections to my observations.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 03:38 AM
link   
Why don't they close the gap between the dikes/levies to keep the water inside the artificial bay?

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 03:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by apacheman
NHK just reported TEPCO finding a crack in a "pit" near #2 reactor. Water is leaking from it.
Radiation measured at 1,000 millisieverts/hour.[

Ah I see ya beat me to that one

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 03:50 AM
link   
Restoring stable cooling systems may take time

Sometimes I have to read these things a few times... because it is just so hard to believe...

The operator of the crippled Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant is working hard to restore systems that cool reactors in a stable manner by circulating massive volumes of water.

Currently, freshwater is being poured directly into the reactors and the pools containing spent nuclear fuel rods, to cool them down.

But the plant operator wants to restore the functions of the cooling systems that circulate water inside the reactors and the pools for spent fuel. The freshwater is cooled down by seawater.

On Friday, Tokyo Electric Power Company installed temporary pumps at 4 reactors, from No. 1 to No. 4. The pumps will be used to capture seawater to cool down the circulating freshwater.

So they have put in temporary pumps... BUT

But pipes and pumps used to cool the reactors may have been damaged by the quake, and radiation levels in the reactor buildings remain too high to check their condition.

TEPCO says it may take time to restore the cooling systems, as it has to take emergency measures and wait for radiation levels to go down.

It says it will consider developing other cooling methods.

Saturday, April 02, 2011 09:05 +0900 (JST)

www3.nhk.or.jp...

Wait for radiation levels to go down? Really?

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 03:55 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Er, where are the robots?

I'll tell you - they have been right up exploring the outer reactor containment structure, and maybe even inside it exploring the pressure vessel structure. The reason we don't hear about this is they don't want anybody to know what they found. This has been going on for a while now.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 04:12 AM
link   
reply to post by xxPUSH0Noo

In regards to the "Jumpers" article, I sent an email through Tepco's website for more info, as there is no jobs section on their website.

Should be interesting to see what they say (if they respond).

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 04:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Regenstorm

Perhaps there isn't enough capacity in that lagoon relative to the volumes of water they are pumping (and remember this is a process that may take years to fully stabilise).

Or perhaps they do not want such a concentration of what appears to be very 'hot' radioactive water sitting so close to the plant, open to the elements and highly exposed to subsequent tsunamis, or even tidal/storm surges in the wake of the shift downwards of the land and therefore upwards of the sea levels...

It's also very close to where their ship-to-shore docking operations are taking place (i.e. such as the barge that visited earlier this week with extra supplies of fresh water).

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 04:23 AM
link   
I was reading that stuxet was found in japan just prior to the quake

this puts the event in line with the prediction made in HALF PAST HUMAN
an event where
stuxnet attack on Iranian reactor leads to
( part of the event not nessessary the total cause)
a toxic cloud going around the world

next:
mass evac

guess I'll go reread to see what else

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 04:27 AM
link   
"Tokyo Electric Power Company says it has identified for the first time a place where high-level radioactive water is leaking into the ocean from the No. 2 reactor at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant."

www3.nhk.or.jp...

This is BS:

Basically, there is no way this intense amount of radioactive material could be coming from anyplace but inside the containment - so the only leaks even worth thinking about are on the containment vessel. They say this leak was a crack in a wall in a pit??? Well, what's on the other side of that wall? It doesn't sound like the containment vessel.

If radioactive materials escape from the containment vessel, we're basically married to them in the outer environment and ecosystem - they don't just "go away".

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 04:56 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Well we knew this...I guess seeing is believing.

IAEA calls N-crisis 'serious', 12-inch crack at Fukushima

This report says there is a 12 inch crack in the wall of the No 2 reactor.
It also says a 12 inch crack in a containment pit.

After seeing 12-inch crack in a containment pit at the troubled Fukushima nuclear plant ,

IAEA termed the situation as "very serious".

The Prime Minister's visit to the northeast came as TEPCO said it has found that highly radioactive water was leaking into the sea from a 12-inch crack in a wall of the No.2 reactor at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant....

....It said the water was leaking from the crack in the wall of a 2-metre deep pit that contains power cables near the water intake of the reactor, national broadcaster NHK reported.

TEPCO is preparing to pour concrete into the cracked pit to stop the leak of radioactive water. The radiation detected in water in the basement of the turbine building at the No.2 reactor was about 100,000 times the normal level.
english.samaylive.com...

Picture courtesy of HO/Agence France-Presse/Getty Images

Plant operator Tokyo Electric Power Co. said it has found a 20-centimeter crack in a two-meter-deep chamber holding cables for the No. 2 reactor, which is believed to be leaking highly toxic water from its nuclear core.

It the conduit, which is 10 to 20 centimeters deep in radioactive water, workers found a highly dangerous airborne contamination of more than 1,000 millisieverts an hour. The contamination level of the water itself wasn't immediately available. That high a level of radioactivity has also been found in a trench used to carry cables and various piping for the No. 2 unitonline.wsj.com...

All that radiation leaking into the sea for weeks now. Finally someone is concerned?

Its about time! The UCS is concerned about caesium and plutonium in the water...

Years and Years

"There is the potential, when you're talking about certain types of seafood, that you can have reconcentration," said Ed Lyman of the Union of Concerned Scientists, a respected U.S. non-government organisation that focuses on nuclear safety.........

Radioactive elements are hazardous in food because when ingested their radiation can damage DNA in cells, with the potential to cause cancer.www.eturbonews.com...

"What worries me more is if caesium and plutonium get into the system," he said, referring to two radioactive heavy metals whose half-lives are around 30 years and potentially thousands of years respectively.

So what is going to happen now with all of this caesium and plutonium in the ocean?

Dont worry, it will be temporary...

Radiation in Japan Seas: Risk of Animal Death, Mutation?
More radiation from nuclear plant could cause "bizarre mutations.".

Once in seawater, radiation can hurt ocean animals in several ways—by killing them outright, creating "bizarre mutations" in their offspring, or passing radioactive material up the food chain, according to Joseph Rachlin, director of Lehman College's Laboratory for Marine and Estuarine Research in New York City.

"There will be a potential for a certain amount of lethality of living organisms, but that's less of a concern than the possible effects on the genetics of the animals that become exposed," Rachlin said.

"That's the main problem as I see it with radiation—altering the genetics of the animal and interfering with reproduction."
news.nationalgeographic.com...

edit on 2-4-2011 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 05:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by VinceH

Originally posted by Wertwog

Originally posted by zorgon

Originally posted by Wertwog
He appears to be laying slightly tilted toward his right side with his arm laying across his waist. He doesn't move in the video, I'm assuming he's very dead. It's a wonder to me no one in the MSM has picked this up yet? Sad. Very sad.

Nice catch
I missed that too...

Maybe he is just taking a nap...*insert wishful thinking*. I do wonder why he is so "intact" if he was caught up in the blast and landed here.

I posted a few pages back about that, but this thread moves so fast...

I don't think he was there during the blast or he would be in a lot worse condition. The suit looks too clean, there doesn't appear to be any severe trauma and he is on top of the debris pile. My guess is that he was sent in after the fact to investigate; especially with all the talk about trying to get the cooling systems back on line. Now the thing of note becomes: an immediately lethal dose of radiation is a lot... orders of magnitude higher than we have been told about. Maybe this is an indicator of what the levels really are... any why the area seems abandoned (save for some work well away from the reactors).

Vince

Best explanation yet. If it is a man......

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 05:10 AM
link   
small note
Coincidence?
The same day that our dear Sarkozy and Areva's CEO visited japan, the IRSN in paris stopped reporting daily updates....
They used to publish a detailed analysis every day, it was quite insightful and offered details not released by other sources.

www.irsn.fr...

Yesterday they published 2 days worth of short notes (instead of a detailed PDF file) in which they state they believe no major releases into the atmosphere will occur and that the situation has stabilized, they also state that in virtue of this they will not report daily unless something major occurs....

really?

thanks Sarkozy..

edit on 2-4-2011 by monica86 because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-4-2011 by monica86 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 05:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Procharmo
Source timshorrock.com...

Among the places Horie worked was Tokyo Electric Co.’s now-infamous Fukushima No. 1 Nuclear Power Plant. According to his book, as recounted by AMPO:

Workers are recruited from all over the country attracted by a daily wage of 5,000 to 10,000 yen and sent into the plants with hardly any knowledge of radiation. (Until a few years ago the workers were recruited from slums such as Sanya in Tokyo, Kamagasaki in Osaka and buraku – where Japanese outcasts live – in the Kansai area.

According to Morie, many of the Americans subcontracted by General Electric at the Fukushima plant were African-American (this photograph depicts a black GE subcontractor at the Fukushima plant in 1980). AMPO wrote:

Morie shows in detail how the conditions in nuclear power plants make irradiation control difficult. Tokyo Electric’s Fukushima No. 1 nuclear power plant is said to be the most contaminated nuclear power plant in the world, and Japan Atomic’s Tsuruga plant (scene of a major accident in 1981) is also notorious for its loose radiation control…It is naturally subcontracted workers (and a “foreigners squad” of black workers sent from the U.S. by General Electric and Westinghouse) who are to work under such a high radioactive dose.

Now what I'm asking you all is if Americans (GE/Westinghouse employees) saw TEPCO recruiting poor so called nuclear gypsies from Japanese poor districts.

Do you think it was morally correct to fly all the way back to the US and set up recruitment from poor black areas to just to make as much profit as TEPCO were from the exploited workers.

Anyway it's good to know that the praise for the Fukishima 50 or Nuclear Samurai includes "Black Americans" as well as poor Japanese.

Re the "Jumpers" www.ibtimes.com...

The quoted post is proof that they will use the poor, brave or uneducated from anywhere in the world to fix this problem.

Expect to see recruitment agencies set up worldwide, US,India, Eastern Europe, Africa.

If an agency gets $5000 per man and you can convince someone they will get flown to Japan and fed and paid say $500 a day. You can see how much an agency could make depending on how poor and ignorant of the facts the employees are. If they have no news or internet it would be quite easy to convince the poor almost anywhere in the world.

If I didn't have morals I'd set up an agency tomorrow!

Remember there is "no immediate danger to your health".

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 05:36 AM
link   
Never mind. I worked it out after having second coffee...

Mike

edit on 2/4/11 by JustMike because: removed query to other member as no longer required.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 05:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by JustMike

reply to post by mendel101

Hi mendel,

yes it's weird how nothing much seems evident on those webcam shots, especially as we know for sure the explosion occurred on that day according to NHK, it happened at 11:01 a.m.

But then, there have been various oddities with those webcam images, like the building that seems to lose half its upper structure (except for its framework) then magically is back to normal an hour later (on March 26 at 1600 hours and again on March 28 at the same time), and then on March 29 at 1600 hours the same building's upper half is missing completely! But don't worry, folks... It's back again an hour later...

I'm not sure if I really trust those images...

Mike

Hi Mike, sorry for the late reply, work-party-family--- still within 24h!

As my specialty is becoming the webcam, I thought I'd first figure out exactly what we are seeing on the webcam. Fortunately there is a higher resolution image of the plant in better times from almost exactly the same position:

Comparing the webcam shots with the higher resolution image I come to the following conclusions:

1. The structure that is varying between images March 26, 16:00 and March 29 16:00 is the reactor 5 or 6.

2. The differences in the images are likely due to the lighting and smoke conditions. Only with clear blue skies the webcam captures the 5/6 buildings properly (compare webcam images of the 12th and 29th of March)

3. I don't see any reason to distrust the webcam images. It's just a low res, not so great capture device, especially under lower light conditions.

4. Of reactors 1-4 the webcam almost exclusively sees reactor 4. This is probably the explanation why the explosion of reactor 3 is not at all obvious from the March 14 11:00-12:00 images.

5. As a bonus, knowing that the webcam captures mainly reactor 4, the images below show that the number 4 explosion must have been between March 15 6:00 and 7:00 local time:

Cheers,

Mendel

edit on 2-4-2011 by mendel101 because: only->almost

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 06:03 AM
link   
reply to post by mendel101

Brilliant analysis! Many thanks for taking the time and effort to do all that and for the images as well!

And the fact that you've pretty well established the time that #4 blew up is a major step forward as well...

I hope you get a load of stars for your post. Okay, you can't eat them or trade them
but all the same you deserve recognition. If I could hand out "applause" I'd definitley give you one for this.

Pity that Tepco is not offering those high-res images any more, or better still, a real-time webcam instead of one static shot per hour at low resolution. Hmmm... But then, people might get a better idea of what's really going on...

Best regards,

Mike

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 06:16 AM
link   
Doctors express "deep concern" about Fukushima impacts on Canada

How do we know how much radiation is reaching Canada from Fukushima? Physicians for Global Survival asked, in a press release today. They added that physicians for Global Survival "would like more openness from safety regulators and government about all isotopes, honesty about methods of measurement and regular updates about risks to vulnerable populations."

"Physicians for Global Survival is deeply concerned about the long term health of populations exposed due to accidental or planned releases of radioactivity from Fukushima and from domestic power plants."

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 07:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

I live in the Great lakes Mega region in Canada should i be worried about radiation if the planet continues to leak? I'm pretty sure that the Jetstream runs right over our area sometimes i live in Canadian part of southern Ontario. I'm between Ontario and Lake Erie in Niagara region.

If this plant keeps leaking Radiation won't it the radiation exposure keep building up isn't Cesium's half life 30 years?
The situation seems doom and gloom right now

en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 2-4-2011 by XRaDiiX because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 07:26 AM
link   
reply to post by XRaDiiX

As the existing 40 year old nuclear plants get 20 year licence extensions and new plants are built the probability of more disasters will increase. Chernobyl or Fukishima may not damage the planet drastically but within the next 20 - 50 years the subsequent accidents will have an accumulative effect if they happen say every 10 or 20 years.

The 30 year half life incidents of some of the containments will stay the same but the increased use of MOX will ensure much more 24000 year half life containments.

Thorium fuelled plants may be a way out but all existing plants will need to be closed.

Eventually either the planet will suffer damage or only humans who are resistant will prosper.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 07:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Procharmo

That doesn't really answer my question but yes Thorium like what Chinas doing is where we should be heading.

We need to convert all our plants to Thorium!

new topics

top topics

<< 485  486  487    489  490  491 >>

join