It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 487.htm
<< 484  485  486    488  489  490 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 01:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by SFA437
If anyone gets pics of the actual barge post them up. I'll be able to ID the barge used, compare it with another from stock photos

and this is the Japanese one

Your right... makes no sense that they brought that US barge from so far away with just water

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 01:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Wertwog

Perhaps a different, more recent victim?

Not sure that's a body though, it could be merely a trick of perspective.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 01:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wertwog

Originally posted by zorgon

He appears to be laying slightly tilted toward his right side with his arm laying across his waist. He doesn't move in the video, I'm assuming he's very dead. It's a wonder to me no one in the MSM has picked this up yet? Sad. Very sad.

Nice catch
I missed that too...

Maybe he is just taking a nap...*insert wishful thinking*. I do wonder why he is so "intact" if he was caught up in the blast and landed here.

We used to say PPE just kept all the squishy stuff in one place. I imagine Tyvek would do the same.

Explosions, especially in confined spaces with a gaseous substance, do not usually mangle a body or dismember it. The overpressure kills while fragmentation is secondary.

Again- this is just a guess- but based on positioning (assuming it is a body) he could have been on that side of the building, blast occurs slamming him into a vertical support column. Once pressure blows out the panels the body falls to it's current position and remains as the area is too hot for recovery and his body is probably cooking right now with radiation.

Stranger things have happened (and the above is pure speculation)- but it's what I can think of off the top of my head.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 02:00 AM
link   
reply to post by SFA437

ok last question of the night before I dig back into my research...

unit 3....
Some BWR have a safety feature as a last line of defense against a criticality accident of tank of borated water with pyrotechnic initiated valves.... valve is triggered boom boron water dumped into reactor..

Could those extra sounds in that video be from Pyrotechnic valves? and the result be boron water hitting a super heated reactor at very high pressure?
Mark I containments have a design pressure of ~55 psig and an ultimate failure pressure of 3 times that.

with that in mind can that fit the video?

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 02:03 AM
link   

He appears to be laying slightly tilted toward his right side with his arm laying across his waist. He doesn't move in the video, I'm assuming he's very dead. It's a wonder to me no one in the MSM has picked this up yet? Sad. Very sad.

Nice catch
I missed that too...

Maybe he is just taking a nap...*insert wishful thinking*. I do wonder why he is so "intact" if he was caught up in the blast and landed here.

I posted a few pages back about that, but this thread moves so fast...

I don't think he was there during the blast or he would be in a lot worse condition. The suit looks too clean, there doesn't appear to be any severe trauma and he is on top of the debris pile. My guess is that he was sent in after the fact to investigate; especially with all the talk about trying to get the cooling systems back on line. Now the thing of note becomes: an immediately lethal dose of radiation is a lot... orders of magnitude higher than we have been told about. Maybe this is an indicator of what the levels really are... any why the area seems abandoned (save for some work well away from the reactors).

Vince

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 02:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by zenzen
The thread has moved on pretty fast and I can't find the pictures but in reply to the question about the pink objects in the building in the after explosion pics.

Pink stuff is the exposed fuel rod containers... little sqaure boxes that should be covered by 30 ft of water. The small green fuel crane has fallen into the pool

Is there an archive specifically for pics/vids posted to a thread?]

Not yet... have been saving all the stuff chronologically bit no time yet to put on my site... thread moving to fast to keep up with both
Needz a sexatary

edit on 2-4-2011 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 02:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by SDoradus
Helicopters still radioactive after decontamination
Surprised?

Yeah
I mean how is that possible with those safe levels with no immediate threat to health?

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 02:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheRedneckEvery computer-aided design system I ever came across I beat on time, accuracy, originality, and quality. Still, the heart of a design office today is a computer instead of a drafting board.

Funny thing I just dismantled my old drafting table was taking up too much room and no one was interested in buying it... seems it is obsolete

But in your case... a computer doesn't have the desire to design things that make big booms

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 02:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by DancedWithWolves The guideline is based on very conservative assumptions regarding the percentage of the diet assumed to be contaminated as well as the amount of food consumed and the length of time an individual consumes contaminated food.

Milk is one thing, but add to that all the products that use milk like ice cream, cheese, chocolate, etc that adds to the amount of intake

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 02:13 AM
link   

If anyone gets pics of the actual barge post them up. I'll be able to ID the barge used, compare it with another from stock photos

Your right... makes no sense that they brought that US barge from so far away with just water

See how high she is riding? Even at 65,000 gallons under capacity she should not be that buoyant.

What I find odd is that her max capacity is 340,500 gallons yet it's reported that she is filled with 500,000 gallons.

OK public admission of incorrect info: here is her DoD stated capacity (went off displacement figure by mistake)

Cargo (8500 BBLS)(of gasoline cargo): 990 tons

That works out to 247,500 gallons. She's riding high. Got to be diesel.
edit on 2-4-2011 by SFA437 because: USN sending 2 barges

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 02:16 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

As I mentioned a few pages back, aircraft engines suck in huge amounts of air. Flying through radioactive air will concentrate any particles on the engine air inlets, turbine blades and the exhuasts in particular.

I'm not sure what kind of chemistry goes on when you burn radioactive air in a turbine engine, anyone care to guess?

I'll bet every aircraft flying in and out of the region has pretty "hot" engines.

They really need to start checking them for excessive radiation levels after each flight, no matter where they're flying, the stuff's all over now.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 02:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by okiecowboy
reply to post by SFA437

ok last question of the night before I dig back into my research...

unit 3....
Some BWR have a safety feature as a last line of defense against a criticality accident of tank of borated water with pyrotechnic initiated valves.... valve is triggered boom boron water dumped into reactor..

Could those extra sounds in that video be from Pyrotechnic valves? and the result be boron water hitting a super heated reactor at very high pressure?
Mark I containments have a design pressure of ~55 psig and an ultimate failure pressure of 3 times that.

with that in mind can that fit the video?

Whatever those booms were they were not explosive in nature. That leaves a whole world of possibilities. I'm not a sound guy and my specialties are in overhead damage analysis and field intel. Redneck would be the one to ask about the valve initiators and what they contain but something big enough to make those booms would do damage.

Timing on the sounds fits with Redneck's assessment of multiple successive structural failures rather than a chemical or thermal explosion

Originally posted by VinceH
I posted a few pages back about that, but this thread moves so fast...

I don't think he was there during the blast or he would be in a lot worse condition. The suit looks too clean, there doesn't appear to be any severe trauma and he is on top of the debris pile. My guess is that he was sent in after the fact to investigate; especially with all the talk about trying to get the cooling systems back on line. Now the thing of note becomes: an immediately lethal dose of radiation is a lot... orders of magnitude higher than we have been told about. Maybe this is an indicator of what the levels really are... any why the area seems abandoned (save for some work well away from the reactors).

Vince

That makes a LOT of sense. I was trying to figure it out from an explosion death angle.

I'd say you're spot on!

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 02:31 AM
link   
reply to post by apacheman

I hope this guy:

Is not this guy:

Originally posted by DancedWithWolves
Photos released today inside #4 from March 24

It's interesting that the photos added to this slide show today are of reactor #4 other than those about the PM, barge and evacuation centers. See additional photos at link. The concern about #4 may be shared by TEPCO.

edit on 2-4-2011 by DancedWithWolves because: fix "stuff" in post

They also didn't show the image of the body.... guess they didn't want to upset anyone.

edit on 2-4-2011 by Chakotay because: CLASSIFIED

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 02:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Chakotay

Not unless his name is Lazarus.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 02:34 AM
link   
Second barge is YON-287 which is a building fuel oil barge.

There is a slim to none chance that those things are cleaned out of former cargo- anyone have any idea what happens when you introduce hydrocarbons into a nuclear environment? I have no clue but I'm guessing it can't be good.....

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 02:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheRedneck
Firstly, I stand by my previous assessment that the oceanic leak is coming from a bedrock crack created by the March 11th quake, a crack that started under Unit #4 and has expended underneath Unit #3.

Crack shown by TEPCO today....

Will catch details next cycle...

ETA

Okay TEPCO says they found a crack in the concrete of a pit on #2 reactor which they say is the source of the radioactive leaking water. They plan to seal that crack with concrete. The picture above was used in the article

www3.nhk.or.jp...

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 03:12 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Yup a little mortar and a skim coat and everything will be perfectly safe.

I finally figured out where I have heard all of this before.... Young Zaphod Plays it Safe by Douglas Adams. I swear the guy wrote the screenplay for this goat rope 40 years ago!

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 03:14 AM
link   
reply to post by SFA437

I've very much been captivated by your breakdown of the blast at the Fukushima plant and I'd like to toss an idea your way and see if it has any validity. So, for your review...

I think we are all pretty settled on that in the reactor building hydrogen and oxygen existed in sufficient amounts to trigger a blast. Now if for whatever reason that blast was the first in a series would it be possible that the force from it would be capable of at least causing a slight breech of the multiple layers of concrete in the access directly on top of the reactor pressure vessel?

Additionally, after the hydrogen explosion in the reactor buildings over pressurization effect would a negative pressure exist that would allow extreme pressures of hydrogen within a compromised RPV to rapidly expand and then ignite?

I could imagine then it would result in the incredibly directed upward explosion using the RPV and its surrounding concrete tomb as the means of providing it that incredible upward direction.

I put this idea forth to the thread. Maybe those booms that where not explosive in nature are the fracturing of the layers of concrete in the access on top of the reactor core that we've seen in the cutaway diagrams as ignited gasses underneath came tearing out. I'll differ to the SME's on this for sure.

Soul

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 03:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by apacheman
As I mentioned a few pages back, aircraft engines suck in huge amounts of air. Flying through radioactive air will concentrate any particles on the engine air inlets, turbine blades and the exhuasts in particular.

Yeah that was sarcasm
but an NHK report says that the US told the defense forces the paint on those copters absorbs cesium 137 and will probably need to be scrapped

Regular airliners have been screening for some time including ships as well. Had that report some pages back

Higher radiation levels on SDF helicopters

Higher than normal levels of radiation have been detected on Ground Self-Defense Force helicopters that flew over the troubled Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant even after decontamination.

GSDF sources say hundreds of microsieverts of radiation per hour were detected at engine inlets and other parts of the helicopters, which monitored radiation levels and took aerial pictures of the plant.

The US military has informed the Japanese force that radioactive cesium in particular easily adheres to paint used on helicopters and other vehicles.

The GSDF is trying to ensure that all mechanics will wear protective gear during their work. It is also considering the purchase of new equipment to vacuum up radioactive substances.

Saturday, April 02, 2011 09:27 +0900 (JST)

www3.nhk.or.jp...

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 03:22 AM
link   
Radioactive water leaking from No.2 reactor crack

Tokyo Electric Power Company says it has found that radioactive water is leaking into the ocean from a 20-centimeter crack in a facility wall of the No.2 reactor at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant.

The power company said on Saturday that the level of radiation has been measured at over 1,000 millisieverts per hour.

It said water is leaking from the crack in the wall of a 2-meter deep pit that contains power cables near the water intake of the reactor. Water between 10 centimeters and 20 centimeters deep was found in the pit.

TEPCO is preparing to pour concrete into the cracked pit to stop the leak of radioactive water.

The radiation detected in water in the basement of the turbine building at the No.2 reactor was about 100,000 times that found in the water of an operating reactor.

The company said it will look into how radioactive water is linked to the water in the pit and how it leaked into the ocean.

Saturday, April 02, 2011 15:46 +0900 (JST)

www3.nhk.or.jp...

TEPCO now says it will make radiation levels available on its website...

new topics

top topics

<< 484  485  486    488  489  490 >>

join