It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 483.htm
<< 480  481  482    484  485  486 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by jadedANDcynical

Originally posted by jadedANDcynical
reply to post by SFA437

Would it be possible to run a spectroscopic analysis on the video of the cloud to determine it's contents? Or would you need to pass a laser directly through the material to run those sorts of tests?

Apologies for the shillage, but I don't recall any answer to the question I posed.

To further clarify, if the original question was unclear, do you need to have a direct sample of the light being reflected or will the video work for this sort of test?

I don't mind asking dumb question, so if someone could tell me if this is feasible or not I would be most appreciative.

Sorry brother thi sthread moves like lightning- you'd need a cloud sample and that's WAY out of my lane into the science field. I just stare at photos and ask haji questions (or used to)

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   
If they're going to use the barge to recover core material that thing has got to be shielded like a MOFO!

If anyone gets pics of the actual barge post them up. I'll be able to ID the barge used, compare it with another from stock photos (looking at waterline) and be able to determine if it's filled with water or something heavier as well as if it was shielded or not to start with.
edit on 1-4-2011 by SFA437 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Chakotay

I've always wondered where that 'Glassine' bead tech for fixing automobile blockhead leaks came from , like say mixed with aero-gel, better a huge heat glob than nuetron source

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Black Sheep

You know, I worked in design for twenty-plus years... and during that time I watched the computer revolution come in and take my job away. Every computer-aided design system I ever came across I beat on time, accuracy, originality, and quality. Still, the heart of a design office today is a computer instead of a drafting board.

I have all the design software here... and I actually use it. But I also rely on my mind and reason and ingenuity. Computers cannot do that. Sometimes progress is not measured in gigahertz and terabytes.

TheRedneck

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by SFA437

That's quite alright, Silverlok also indicated that the video compression would exclude this as a possibility.

I know that there are tests that can be run with particles though I also was under the impression that reflected light could be used as well, but then again I've been wrong more than once in the past and will doubtless be wrong numerous times to come.

Thank you both for answering.

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   
The thread has moved on pretty fast and I can't find the pictures but in reply to the question about the pink objects in the building in the after explosion pics.

There was an earlier picture of an intact building where we saw the mini-crane above the spent fuel pool with the yellow reactor tub in the left background. The big green crane running on the tracks up on the wall of the building would have been in the background. I recall the minicrane they were using was pink? From the post-explosion pics you'll see it looks pretty much like a single object broken up and stretched out along its length. Without seeing those pictures again I can't be sure.

[Is there an archive specifically for pics/vids posted to a thread?]

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by SFA437

if anyone gets pics of the actual barge post them up. I'll be able to ID the barge used, compare it with another from stock photos (looking at waterline) and be able to determine if it's filled with water or something heavier as well as if it was shielded or not to start with.

check Zorgons post on page 473..

nevermind I think we are talking 2 diff barges here...sorry
edit on 1-4-2011 by okiecowboy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 10:06 PM
link   
reply to post by jadedANDcynical

you can learn a couple of things, like hard radiation mixed with methane (ch4) produces petrochemicals which is probably where the red junk comes from but other than that , er pull,...

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 10:06 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

my god!!! BRAVO!!!! i love pencils,pens,paper and the human mind!!! nothing screams inovation or creativity louder than the point when pen meets paper.

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   
What about the number FOUR reactor?

I know that four is de-fueled but that reactor has the worst case fuel pool.

I don't like the blackout of information about #4. I'm pretty sure it is the worse reactor accident there and has the most potential to become an order of magnitude worse.

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by setione
This is from April 1, 2011: www.japan.org...
Let us hope it is not some kind of April Fools joke.

The EPA has continued to monitor the potential pathways for radiation exposure of the U.S. population. To date, radiation detected in milk is on the order of picocuries (10-12 Curie) per liter. This is 5,000 times lower than the FDA’s Derived Intervention Level. A Derived Intervention Level is the point at which the FDA would act to take the food in question out of our food supply. The level considers what fraction of the diet is made up by that food (very conservative numbers are used), how often it is drunk, and for how long people are exposed. Similarly, the trace levels of radioactivity being detected in rainwater in the U.S. have been deemed far too low to be of consequence to human health. Levels in the air on the western coast of the U.S. continue to fluctuate about the natural level of background radiation, and are of no concern. source: mitnse.com...

edit on 1-4-2011 by setione because: typo

Sharing some information on how the FDA defines this new Derived Intervention Level...

9. What levels of iodine/radioactive material in milk would make it unsafe for consumption? FDA has set a Derived Intervention Level (DIL) for Iodine-131 of 170 Bq/kg in foods prepared for consumption. This level does not define a safe or unsafe level of exposure, but instead a level at which protect measures would be recommended to ensure that no one receives a significant dose. The guideline is based on very conservative assumptions regarding the percentage of the diet assumed to be contaminated as well as the amount of food consumed and the length of time an individual consumes contaminated food.

Link to pdf

Thanks for the lead.

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by SFA437

sorce
there is a video of a barge on NKH

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 10:17 PM
link   
I started thinking over here..

What if they fed copper pellets/flakes into the cooling system as they line the bottom of the reactor and are exposed to the heat of the rods they would melt. Copper being an excellent conductor obviously would create a sort of submerged heat-sink.

Process: Pump, inject, stop (let settle to the bottom and heat buildup to melt the flakes then repeat.)

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Wertwog

My question is: how did this person get here? I can't seem them ending up there if they were in the building during the blast. Considering that the blast blew out concrete and twisted heavy metal items like sticks, a body would not be lying like that. Also looks way too "clean" to have survived a blast of that magnitude (read between the lines here). To me that would indicate that they went in after the explosion to check things out, perhaps see if the pumps could be re-powered and were overcome by radiation. If that is the case, have a look at the radiation charts to see how much is needed for this to occur. A lot more than mSv...

Jumping to another topic at hand... the sound on the video of #3. My personal opinion (as someone with a fair bit of background in audio/acoustics), is that the sound is NOT of explosion being being seen on camera if the camera is indeed 30kms away. Unfortunately, I can't offer a definitive answer of what it is; it might be dubbed in, it might be the sound of the breach from approx 30 seconds before as Redneck has hypothesized. The biggest give-away for me is that there isn't a big enough low-frequency component to the sound. At 30kms, an explosion that size would have a lot of rumble (think thunder / drawn out boom) associated with it. This is missing in the video; they sound like relatively sharp "cracks" meaning that either the camera is a LOT closer than 30k, that the sound is dubbed in or (most likely in my option), that the sound is of what occurred ~30 seconds BEFORE. If we had access to the entire raw video, we could determine this, as the sound of the explosions should show up approx 30 seconds later.

Vince

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Regarding the barge the YOG designation is for a gasoline carrier. It is not typically used for water transport purposes. It would NOT be possible to get this thing to store solid materials however.

IMO the fresh water from the barge statement is bovine scatology- this thing was there to keep the power on to generators. That's just an educated guess however.

YOGN 115 Albina Engine & Machine Portland OR 165 245 1-Sep-52 Active

NO NAME (YOGN 115)
(ex-U-30 1468)
GASOLINE BARGE (N-S-P)
UIC: 13042
Class: YOGN 106 Fleet:
Date status changed: 03/01/1965 Berth:
Maintenance Category:
Force: MARAD Type:
Builder: ALBINA ENG & MACH
Delivery Date: 09/01/1952
Award Date: Age (since delivery): 58.5 years
Keel Date: Commission Date:
Launch Date: Inactivation Date:
Decommission Date:
Years from Commission to Decommission:
Stricken Date:

Overall Length: 165 ft Waterline Length: 165 ft
Extreme Beam: 42 ft Waterline Beam: 42 ft
Maximum Navigational Draft: 8 ft Draft Limit: 8 ft
Light Displacement: 245 tons Full Displacement: 1360 tons
Dead Weight: 1115 tons
Hull Material: Steel hull, steel superstructure.
Number of Propellers:
Number of Waterjets:
Propulsion Type:
Accommodations: Officers: 0 Enlisted: 3

Custodian: FLEET ACTIVITIES, YOKOSUKA, JA (COMFLEACT) Ships Program Manager: 325
Planning Yard: Puget Sound (DET) Boston, Boston, MA
edit on 1-4-2011 by SFA437 because: My bad- was looking at powered barges (forgot classifications- been a while)

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 10:22 PM
link   
reply to post by SFA437

The official story is that the barge was going to hold the contaminated water that needed to be removed from the plant since all the other reservoirs were...well...full. The source is buried in these pages. Will ETA if I can find that quote.

Thanks for all you have contributed. You and so many others are very appreciated. Back to reading.

ETA: photo I had saved yesterday on yahoo. Looking for link - found link link

hope that helps

edit on 1-4-2011 by DancedWithWolves because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-4-2011 by DancedWithWolves because: add photo/add photo link

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRemedial

Copper bookoo bucks!

2nd line.

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRemedial

copper has some interesting peroxide components that are extremely explosive, but keep thinking wht ever god there is has left us to help our selves in this

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Workers running out of room oon their REM badges

Pretty soon now the 50 must be replaced.

top topics

<< 480  481  482    484  485  486 >>

join