It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 48.htm
<< 45  46  47    49  50  51 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheRedneck
reply to post by GullibleUnderlord

thanks for the input , i hope they do not return any of that used water
back into the sea
[...]Surely, they are not running seawater through the reactor itself[...]
TheRedneck

I'll have to go back through some of the articles and press release to confirm, but I could swear that's exactly what they were saying ... something to the effect of "flooding the chamber with seawater".

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wookiep

Originally posted by GullibleUnderlord
reply to post by 00nunya00

my bad bad at math, however on the other thread they are saying now 4 m so how high is 4 m

about 13 feet.

wow that is very bad for things around there

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Below is the link for Tepco's web-camera on-site at Fukushima Daiichi. It don't think it updates real-time (once an hour or something like that), and most of the time it's inaccessible (probably due to too many hits)...

Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Their showing a live shot from the reactor that just had an explosion and it looks to be in terrible shape. It looks like three of the four walls have collapsed. I'm not totally sure through it's blurry.
edit on 3/13/2011 by JackBauer because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Tepco's current web-site ... (via Google-Translate)

Tokyo Electric Power Company
Currently, the access concentration, making it difficult situations lately.
Sorry for the inconvenience, but everyone, thank you for your patience.
(C) TEPCO

This is the first time I've actually gotten a host-based error page back from their site, instead of just a time-out.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by aaa2500

Originally posted by JackBauer

Originally posted by butcherguy
If, as I have read here, the levels of containment are engineered to contain a full meltdown, why pump seawater in to be released later as steam or water?
Let it melt down. Release nothing.
Or maybe I smell Atomic Energy Industry BS?

That was my thought exactly. The containment structure is designed to withstand a meltdown, and the reactors are already trashed, why not let them just burn out? Although i'm not an expert so maybe there's some unknown factor here.

The issue is that it won't just burn out. when not submerged in water, the reactor fuel heats up. If it heats up and melts, it will collect at the bottom as a very hot, liquid, self-sustaining critical mass of material. It could either melt it's way through the pressure vessel or if interacting with water creating steam, breach the pressure vessel.

You never want to get to that point, which is why you see the japanese authorities trying everything else. except for the obvious reason, to avoid a serious ecological disaster, it also makes economic sense. The earlier you can stop the process, the less damage the reactor will sustain, and there is a good chance that the reactor can be brought back online with little expenditure. When you start filling it with seawater though, it's likely beyond salvageable, and it's now simply a question of getting it under control and shutting it down.

IMO, the reactor was unsalvageable before seawater was introduced.
I will use TMI as a reference. My point originally was that the reactor containment is not trusted by the people tha use them.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   
conflicting reports of tsunami now , skynews saying a landslide has ocurred

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Yeah, a lot happened since I started writing...

The plants have already experienced a larger tsunami, so unless it wipes out the mobile generators, they should be fine... might even provide some minor additional cooling. If it wipes out the power to the cooling pumps, though...

Let's just hope it doesn't.

Right now I am concerned over that hydrogen explosion...

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Soldiers warn of tsunami threat in NE Japan

This article came out 15 minutes ago. Im not sure how long it will take to hit.

SOMA, Japan – Soldiers and officials in northeastern Japan are warning residents that the area could be hit by another tsunami and are ordering residents to higher ground.

Kyodo News Agency said the tsunami could be 10 feet (3 meters) high, citing Fukushima prefectural officials.

BBC is saying there may have been 2 explosions at the reactor today. It says it on the sidebar, BBC

0227: There were two explosions at Reactor 3, the operator Tepco says - AFP.

0236: The wall of a building collapsed as a result of the blast(s) at Reactor 3 - Japanese TV.

The 600 people still living within 20km of the plant where the explosion(s) occurred are ordered to get inside buildings - Kyodo.

0240: The governor of Tokyo orders radioactivity levels in the city to be measured - Kyodo.

edit on 13-3-2011 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Here's Kyodo news's article on the recent explosion ...

URGENT: Hydrogen blast occurs at Fukushima nuke plant's No. 3 reactor: agency
TOKYO, March 14, Kyodo

A hydrogen explosion occurred at the quake-hit Fukushima No. 1 nuclear power plant's troubled No. 3 reactor, the government's nuclear safety agency said Monday.
The incident came after a hydrogen explosion hit the No. 1 reactor at the same plant Saturday.
==Kyodo

Note: Emphasis added by poster (i.e. me)

edit on 2011-3-13 by EnhancedInterrogator because: spelling, grammar, formatting, etc.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   
www.ustream.tv...

Here is live news feed. They are of course saying that they do not believe the containment was breached.

You know I am subtly reminded of the Deepwater Horizon catastrophe by all of this...everything is OK...

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   
People within 20 kilometers of Fukushima plant ordered to go inside buildings - Kyodo News

also tsunami now expected to be 3 ft high

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 09:47 PM
link   

People within 20 kilometers of Fukushima plant ordered to go inside buildings - Kyodo News

You mean 3M or approx 10 feet.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 09:47 PM
link   

3-feet high? that doesn't seem right, Japanese are on the metric system.
3-meters high? or maybe somebody converting metric-to-imperial 1-meter is (very roughly) 3-feet?

Update: Never mind, I just saw the earlier post. 3-Meters high, or roughly 10-feet high.

edit on 2011-3-13 by EnhancedInterrogator because: added postscript.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by EnhancedInterrogator

3-feet high? that doesn't seem right, Japanese are on the metric system.
3-meters high? or maybe somebody converting metric-to-imperial 1-meter is (very roughly) 3-feet?

He meant 3 meters, not feet. Check buni11687's source.
edit on 13-3-2011 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Live press conference on NHK: There is a low percentage that a massive level of radiation released in the explosion moments ago.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kennit
Live press conference on NHK: There is a low percentage that a massive level of radiation released in the explosion moments ago.

apparently nothing escaped from that explosion was all contained
these things were built well !!! lets hope they continue the fight!!!

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kennit

For anyone who can stream it, here's NHK's live feed URL ...
NHK
Of course, it's also in the web-page, top-right corner - if you have the right plugins loaded, etc.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Is this due to the radiation, or the tsunami?

Anyone know how far these plants are above sea level?

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Holy sh......

ETA: this was the #3 explosion just now.
edit on 13-3-2011 by 00nunya00 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 45  46  47    49  50  51 >>

join