It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 475.htm
<< 472  473  474    476  477  478 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by burntheships
reply to post by jadedANDcynical

I am still looking for a video on #4...

I did find this...

The agency did not identify the missing workers, but said they were in the turbine area of the No.4 reactor at the Fukushima nuclear plant, which was damaged by last Friday's earthquake and tsunami.

Agency official also told a news conference there was a crack in the roof of the reactor buildingwww.reuters.com...

I have read every post in this thread since it started and have a pretty good memory. There has never been video of #4 supposedly exploding. It was noted at the time that there was no video or pictures of it, and none have ever surfaced. I think there was a news release that also said there were no pictures.

its all back there in the sub 100 pages (maybe the 100's)

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

Hi Des,

actually the youtube poster got it wrong: that's a video of reactor building #1 doing its explosion thang. In the first part of the video (the long shot), you can see that it's the far left building in the group of four that goes kaboom, and that's building #1. The other buildings are still intact.

However it's still useful for comparison to building #3's blast. In #1, you can see a flattened-hemispherical "concussion wave" and then most of the roof goes pretty well straight up, with also quite a lot of material scattering out the sides (which is also evident in the overhead high-res shots). With building #3, the blast is so powerful that you cannot really see the individual materials launched upwards as they're going so fast. I've tried to watch them frame-by-frame and except for one large and apparently metallic piece on the right side of the rising column, there's still very little identifiable until they have reached the tops of their various parabolas and they're on the way down again.

That's why I still have some lingering doubts that building #3's explosion was purely a hydrogen blast.

Mike

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

OK, that does it! I'm ordering some iodine right now!

Now where did I store that industrial-grade ammonia?

(redneck want big boom
)

TheRedneck

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   
MORE INSANITY

Concerns re Fukushima Nuclear Plant

3 basic principles we are operating under...

1) highest priority to health and safety
2) exercising risk management which some say is too much
3) trying to outline all possible outcomes and prepare for any eventuality

www3.nhk.or.jp...

You have GOT to be kidding me... what the hell is the matter with these officials

edit on 1-4-2011 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Continued quest for video of explosion to N4 has led me to this one....opinions?

www.youtube.com...

[yvid]

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   
MORE BARGES

A private company has offered up a huge barge used for leisure to store that radioactive water and negotiations are supposedly going on to use the two water barges from the US to fill them with the hot water after they are emptied.

private barge

US water barge being towed in

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

That is #1 explosion #2 to #4 are still intact in that video

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

Ammonia tri-iodide
an interesting contact explosive, great for pranks, like painting on door handles, desks drawers or just about anything. the drawbacks you can not get big crystals as wind or gravity tend to set it off. it was great fun to play with in high school chem II class.

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone
Continued quest for video of explosion to N4 has led me to this one....opinions?

www.youtube.com...

[yvid]

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

TY Zorgon, was beginning to not trust my own eyes.....

Des

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

Yup taken from a camera attached to the concrete pump boom... I guess ya missed my previous posts

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Ok.....very short vid, midway zooms in.this one? N4 explosion? TIA Des

www.youtube.com...

edit on 03/28/2011 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

Thanks for running the figures.
Yep, those were pretty big buildings. I recall reading somewhere online that building #3 was 61 metres tall (200 ft) and I see no reason to doubt that, considering the size of the whole reactor and even comparing what remains to nearby fire trucks etc.

Considering that the entire building actually has** a lot of things inside it, I doubt that much more than half of its volume would be available for filling with an explosive hydrogen/oxygen mix. More likely it would be a lot less than that. Even so, from the rough figures you've worked out it would seem there was enough available volume to allow for the amount of mix required. It's just if enough of it would be able to go up at one time, like you also commented.

**Okay, had. It had a lot of things inside it. Now, they're spread over the surrounding area. And the sea. And in the air. And on people and in their lungs and on animals and their young, and lakes and rivers and trees and roads and even blossoms that they don't dare smell or touch now; on everything the people in that part of Japan justifiably thought was their piece of Life.

And yes I'm angry about this. End of short rant.

@Zorgon: yes mate I recall that explosion you posted the video to. Saw it on a special on "Great Explosions". Now, if that blast had been contained inside a big concrete building like Daiichi #3, then we'd likely see something near to what happened there.

Mike

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   

reply to post by zorgon

Ok...this one? N4 explosion? TIA Des

www.youtube.com...

That's #3

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by ElectricalEngineer41

reply to post by zorgon

Ok...this one? N4 explosion? TIA Des

www.youtube.com...

That's #3

ARRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHH

Time out for Des

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Ok, should be no worries about the local seafloor burping...all hydrate deposits are pretty far away as far as USGS and every other source I've found is concerned.

At least all known deposits.

I still wonder about the downdrift rate and whether the stuff is heavy enough to fall fast enough to accumulate, as opposed to being dispersed by currents.

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   

reply to post by zorgon

Ok.....very short vid, midway zooms in.this one? N4 explosion? TIA Des

www.youtube.com...

edit on 03/28/2011 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

Was going thru that one frame by frame. 0:03 to 0;04 appears to be "normal" hydrogen explosion. At 0:04 it appears there is a secondary directional explosion. It can be seen clearer at 0:18 but you don't get a sense of proportion.

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by apacheman
Anyone know if there are any methyl hydrate deposits near there?
I'm off to check for known methyl hydrate deposits in the area.

Methane Hydrate Redondo beach

In addition to naturally occurring oil and gas seeps in the Santa Barbara Channel, north of Los Angeles, methane and hydrogen sulfide gases are actively discharging at the crest of a mud volcano only 24 kilometers west-southwest of Redondo Beach, California. The mud volcano is 30m high and its top is about the size of a football field. It formed as gas-charged sediment from depth squeezed up to the sea floor, probably along an active fault at the edge of the offshore Santa Monica Basin. The top of the mud volcano is about 800m below the sea surface, and at this depth the water pressure is 80 times the atmospheric pressure at sea level. As a result, water and methane gas at this pressure "freezes" to form what is termed a methane hydrate. The hydrate ice becomes incorporated in the surrounding ocean-floor sediment.

walrus.wr.usgs.gov...

There has been talk that these mud volcanoes may be a sign that predicts earthquakes. If you find any other data on that near the other quake zones please let me know. I created a thread on this but it fell off the wagon in all this nuclear stuff

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheRedneck
Does it scare anyone that a redneck in Alabama is wondering how much fun it might be to play with some nitrogen triiodide now?

Nah it would seem scary if a redneck in Alabama didn't toy with big booms. I see you mention United Nuclear... Bob also likes to toy with big booms, like the good ole days of the Desert Blasts. I too have a lab in my garage...errr well its for 'mineral analysis" yeah that's it
But I did have a cop in there once looking for a dude with gun (had left the side door unlocked)... next day a detective showed up at my door asking about a meth lab

It got straightened out... I got a written apology from the captain on the mistake of being in my garage without notice (this was before 9/11) I could have pushed it but they were so funny stumbling all over themselves apologizing...

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by JustMike

I still think it is probable that we actually saw two near-simultaneous explosions. hydrogen is not really that unstable, so there would likely have been a spark of some sort to set it off. That could be a pressure wave from a steam explosion (a sufficient pressure wave could have ignited the hydrogen as well in the proper proportions), or it could have been a spark form a control panel (although I believe the electricity was off), or it could have simply been a spark from a falling piece of metal hitting another.

But again, what really leads me to the conclusion that there were two explosions instead of one was the timing between the sound and the video on the monitor. Based on the distance from the plant, there should have been several additional seconds delay between the two. But if there were an initial explosion deep within the plant (such as a limited steam explosion from corium), then another hydrogen explosion a few seconds later, we could have heard the first explosion just a second or so after we saw the second one.

A single hydrogen explosion does appear possible... but that doesn't mean it is the truth.

TheRedneck

top topics

<< 472  473  474    476  477  478 >>

join