It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 473.htm
<< 470  471  472    474  475  476 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by JustMike

Addendum to your post....Video posted this am, Dr. Christopher Busby On truth about Fukushima.
[yvidwww.youtube.com...[/yvid]
About Dr. Busby (Source: Wikipedia):

Christopher Busby (born 1945) is a British scientist and activist known for his work on the health effects of ionising radiation. In addition to his academic appointments he is the director of Green Audit, an environmental consultancy agency, and scientific advisor to the Low Level Radiation Campaign which he set up in 1995. Busby was also the National Speaker on Science and Technology for the Green Party of England and Wales, and the Scientific Secretary of the European Committee on Radiation Risks, based in Brussels.

From 1987 onwards Busby has worked in particular on the health effects of ionising radiation, developing the ‘Second Event Theory’ which distinguishes between hazards from external and internal irradiation. He has studied the effects of low-dose radiation on health. Recent (2008) work by Busby, focusing on the photoelectric effect as a mechanism for cells to be damaged by ingested uranium, was covered by the popular New Scientist magazine.

“As member of the International Society for Environment Epidemiology, he was invited to Iraq and Kosovo to investigate the health effects of depleted uranium. He has also given presentations on depleted uranium to the Royal Society and to the European Parliament. He was a member of the UK Ministry of Defence Oversight Board on Depleted Uranium.” He served on the UK Government’s Committee Examining Radiation Risks of Internal Emitters (CERRIE), which operated between 2001 and 2004, ultimately disagreeing with the committee’s conclusions and publishing a “minority report” with another committee membe

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   
UPDATE

TEPCO has claimed they made more errors in reporting radiation levels. Japanese Nuclear agency says that this is 'unfortunate' and calls for them to take new readings and explain the reason for the errors.

"Unfortunate"? Oh good grief

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by SDoradus

I've asked about video for #4 several times and so far it hasn't surfaced.

Either it doesn't exist or it's been suppressed.

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

TEPCO has claimed they made more errors in reporting radiation levels.

Errors reporting too HIGH or too LOW?!?

Bet they didn't even distinguish, right? "If you're going to think they were too high, go ahead and think that as long as you can....we won't stop you......"

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   
UPDATE

300,000 tons of fresh water arrives from US Barge... Workers briefly shown on dock as they hook up the water lines

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

My thoughts as well...

However, you wont believe this...

I would not have given much credibility to the report below...until I spotted that news from Kyodo.

(I dont agree with the idea...only posting to propose that this is actually where the idea may have come from)

Catherine Lin-Hendel sent an e-mail to the Dallas Blog, in which she claimed she had a direct phone call with Mr. Edano last night, Tokyo-time. He requested her to speak with a technical expert at MITTI. But this apparent acronym can not be found on a “Google” search, but the MITI of Japan stands for the Ministry of International Trade and Industry.

Nevertheless, Ms. Lin-Hendel has not received a response from the so-called “technical expert,” which may be cause for concern, or a good story-line for the next TV episode of “24.” As the plot thickens, one wonders if Yukio Edano will come to the rescue with a mix of Boron powder and liquid nitrogen to prevent a further nuclear meltdown in Northeastern Japan. Stay tuned for the latest news developments on the Dallas Blog.

Here is Catherine Lin-Hendel's scientific explanation:

1. Use Liquid Nitrogen to instantly cool nuclear feul rods. 2. Use Boron powder mixed in Liquid Nitrogen to slow/stop nuclear reaction.

Liquid Nitrogen is available in large quantities in Japan, should be used to flood and cool the fuel rods first. It very cold--Minus 198 C, innert, and highly pressurized. It is injected into the Reactor dome by pressure , thus needing no electricity. The cooling is extremely fast. The vapor produced is also very cold and innert.

If stopping the nuclear reaction is desired: mix boron powder with liquid nitrogen. You put boron powder in the LN dewar (the thermally insulated container) before you fill the dewar with liquid nitrogen. Then you bring the dewar upside down to connect the outlet of liquid nitrogen to the fluid intake of the nuclear reactor chamber. The pressurized liquid nitrogen during its injection into the reaction chamber would mix the boron with liquid nitrogen evenly, and inject into the nuclear reation chamber

www.dallasblog.com...

I am not sure what scares me the most...the idea of nitrogen injection...
or that Yukio Edono might really have taken this idea to heart by way of Ms Lin Hendel.

Where are the teams of nuclear experts???

ETA: I do not think this is a good idea...see clarification above...
edit on 1-4-2011 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by 00nunya00

They just said wrong readings for some elements reported. Need to wait till 11am to get the repeat. Right now they are doing a business report and they mentioned that 14 Sumo wrestlers and their stable masters have been arrested for fight fixing... One of the stable masters apologized to the fans...

Lot of apologizing for 'errors' going on in Japan these days... so much for honor

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by jadedANDcynical

I am still looking for a video on #4...

I did find this...

The agency did not identify the missing workers, but said they were in the turbine area of the No.4 reactor at the Fukushima nuclear plant, which was damaged by last Friday's earthquake and tsunami.

Agency official also told a news conference there was a crack in the roof of the reactor buildingwww.reuters.com...

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by 00nunya00

Originally posted by zorgon

TEPCO has claimed they made more errors in reporting radiation levels.

Bet they didn't even distinguish, right? "If you're going to think they were too high, go ahead and think that as long as you can....we won't stop you......"

This is unbelievable

CL 38 they have not explained
I-134 they claim it was a mistake
Total radiation in the water below n.2 was "more than 1 Sv" ...how much exactly we don't know
Yesterdays' groundwater I-131 reading was said to be wrong , then ,as per articles below, they said that it was a mistake to say it was mistake...

now what???

I think they are intentionally assigning this task to untrained people so as to create uncertainty over readings....point. There is no other explaination to this behaviour.
I have also read that IAEA is not allowed to enter the exclusion zone ( they are not allowed at the plant but also not allowed in the nearby villages...why?) to take independent radiation readings....

Originally posted by Unity_99
www.businessinsider.com...
TEPCO Confirms That Groundwater Radiation Is So Bad, Everyone Thought It Had To Be An Error

Its back up to being 10 000 X the limit again. But pretty much knew the first report was either right or understating it.

edit on 1-4-2011 by monica86 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   

That's the trouble with the darned internet. Things can often be taken a different way... I never meant to imply that you were no longer interested in the subject or anything like that.
I was just explaining the difficulties I'd been having with trying to get that info about the "quake".

Oh btw, hate to impose but did you see my post here? It's where I give an estimate of the explosion's energy. I'd appreciate your opinion on it.

Best regards,

MIke

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by jadedANDcynical

Link below goes to a few N4 reactor videos

www.allvoices.com...

Video Related To: Japan Quake & Tsunami: Fukushima nuclear power plant (reactor 4) back on fire

www.youtube.com...=180
Video Related To: Japan Quake & Tsunami: Fukushima nuclear power plant (reactor 4) back on fire
By Hendra Rayana send a private message
Fukushima : Japan | 16 days ago

www.allvoices.com... actor-4---plan-to-spray-water-from-a-helicopter-15-03-2011-

Des

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by jadedANDcynical
reply to post by SDoradus

I've asked about video for #4 several times and so far it hasn't surfaced.

Either it doesn't exist or it's been suppressed.

Unit 4 (outage due to regular inspection)

- At approximately 6 am on March 15th, we confirmed the explosive sound and the sustained damage around the 5th floor rooftop area of the Nuclear Reactor Building.

- On March 15th and 16th, we respectively confirmed the outbreak of fire at the 4th floor of the northwestern part of the Nuclear Reactor Building. We immediately reported this matter to the fire department and the related authorities. TEPCO employees confirmed that each fire had already died down by itself.

- At this moment, we do not consider any reactor coolant leakage inside the reactor happened.

Actually we know from fairewinds.com that the spent fool puel was boiled dry, or it's cracked and there is not any water covering the fuel. So either these guys are blind or refuse to admit the scale of the accident (at least in public).

But, strange they refered to 'leakage inside the reactor' when the reactor was actually defueled, the big problem isn't the reactor ITS THE SPENT FOOL PUEL!

sigh ...

Here's another thing that's been missed. (You guys really need to read their reports, dry but full of data)

--At around 11:35 am April 1st, a worker fell into the sea when he got into a barge of the U.S. Forces to repair a hose of the ship. The worker was rescued immediately, and was not injured and not contaminated. The worker will be checked using the whole-body counter to ensure his health.

Tepco Daily Status Reports

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Nitrogen triiodide is something EOD techs won't go near. It makes nitroglycerin look as stable as Charlie Sheen on a month long vacation in Cali

Jargon term is "methyl-ethyl bads**t".

IIRC the #3 blast also set off a wave that a helo pilot reported seeing and estimated it to be a 2m tsunami. In my references to #3 and MOAB I was not speaking to explosion type but yield. It was a horrendously energetic explosion and was not hydrogen based which would have been sphere shaped (to put in simple terms). #3 was linear/directed in the manner of a shotgun being fired.

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

Nitrogen is cold, but it has half the specific heat capacity of water, meaning that even with the initial temperature at ~-200°C, it would still take almost as much nitrogen as water... more if you include the latent heat of evaporation in water.

Also, nitrogen has another drawback in cooling:

Despite its reputation, liquid nitrogen's efficiency as a coolant is limited by the fact that it boils immediately on contact with a warmer object, enveloping the object in insulating nitrogen gas.
Source: en.wikipedia.org...

So what we are going to see is an initial cooling just as though pressurized water were injected, followed by a more aggressive heating cycle as the nitrogen forms an insulating blanket of gas over the corium. The gamma ray energy will also be reflected back as additional heat because nitrogen absorbs high-frequency radiation very well (orders of magnitude better than CO2 and infrared!).

Are they intentionally trying to destroy life as we know it over there?

Go back to pumping seawater...

TheRedneck

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by burntheships
Latest super close-up footage of Fukushima wrecked nuclear reactor

Yeah the pink boxes to the left of the green crane are the tops of the fuel rods... Check back on my posts and you will see... oh heck let me repost for those who missed it. The crane has fallen into the spent fuel pool and those boxes should be under 30 feet of water... they are not they are dry

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   
This very short video show the impact of the shock wave during explosion of N3 Fukushima. Midway through vid, it zooms in for replay...looks like a building getting air born.

www.youtube.com...
Des
edit on 03/28/2011 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Thanks for that...and to add..I did not mean credibilty in the idea of injecting nitrogen..

The credibility in that the idea may have actually came from the woman mentioned...

edit on 1-4-2011 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

Des, that's a very good and highly informative video and I'd recommend that other members watch it.

Professor Busby says that the explosions at Daiichi were from hydrogen. Now, this is coming from a man who is an expert in the field of things nuclear, but who is also anti-nuclear power stations and made that stance quite clear. I think we can safely accept that he would not be saying they were hydrogen explosions just to back up what TEPCO has said.

So, based on what Prof. Busby has said, we can give the hydrogen explosion perspective a lot more credence. All the same, I think it would be good to get some calulations done to confirm that the energy release in the #3 building's explosion was in line with what would be possible from a hydrogen explosion alone.

Best regards,

Mike

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   

WTF? Do they have Wikipedia in Japan? I know there's a Japanese-language version here in the US, surely they have the human equivalent of it there at the speed of a phone call?

It's just getting really hard to continue rolling my eyes at the "intentional depopulation" people. There's either some huge element that you're missing about why nitrogen would actually be awesome in this case, or the entire US government and media are involved in keeping quiet what a horrible idea this is. I'm hoping it's you that's wrong, of course, but your track record is beating the pants off the other two.

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Confirmation radiation is now in the ground water...and evacuations will be long term.

Japanese officials say the evacuation of residents near the earthquake-hit Fukushima nuclear plant will be long-term. The announcement came as high levels of radiation were detected for the first time in groundwater near one of the facility's reactors.

link
edit on 1-4-2011 by DancedWithWolves because: fix link

top topics

<< 470  471  472    474  475  476 >>

join