It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 463.htm
<< 460  461  462    464  465  466 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by kdog1982

Cement,huh.

I think I mentioned this about 15 days ago.

To be fair, about 2,164,970 people mentioned it before you. It's been the most called-for thing since this began, but it probably isn't anywhere near feasible for many months, if not years.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by imlite

Maybe they are going to encase Daini before it is in complete meltdown, and at Daichi... You waited too long to call in the calvary for Daichi. You did not listen to evacuation orders. You want to save face... It is what it is.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by gr82m8okdok
reply to post by imlite

Maybe they are going to encase Daini before it is in complete meltdown, and at Daichi... You waited too long to call in the calvary for Daichi. You did not listen to evacuation orders. You want to save face... It is what it is.

shikata ga nai, reply used in unsolvable situations.

Des
edit on 03/28/2011 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by SDoradus

The Final Solution

Worlds largest concrete pumper is on the way to the reactors.

Concrete pumper on the way

ROFL. C'mon now , even if they are able to get the concrete to say above the mess, how do they expect to get the concrete under the Nuclear mass to keep it from melting into the ground, it must be real close to the ground by now..

and then how do they expect to cool it once its covered. that seems like they will just be creating a blanket to add more heat...

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone

Originally posted by gr82m8okdok
reply to post by imlite

shikata ga nai, reply used in unsolvable situations.

Des
edit on 03/28/2011 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

愛が失われることはありません
J

link   
reply to post by MissTiger

It does appear hat both Daiini and Daiichi were built as 'sister sites', each with 4 similar reactors. Daiichi #5 and #6 look to be additions, as they are set off to the side as opposed to being in line with (and in numerical sequence with) the other four units.

The one problem I see is that the sump pumps are pretty obviously not working. That is actually a low-priority system in the plant I worked at, meaning if anything lost power, that would be it.

Now, that said, there may be a broken seal that has opened up the basement to the sea. If so, that would cause the level of water in the basement to be at sea level. If the level were below sea level, water could come in and vice-versa. That means that tidal forces would create an exchange of the water to some degree every tidal cycle, which is what we saw some time back when the 1,000,000 x normal reading was retracted and remeasured.

I believe this is quite possible.

Now, what's this noise about trying to encase an active meltdown? Are they trying to make things worse? What happens when wet concrete mix hits corium?

TheRedneck

link   
Has anyone heard about anyone testing aircraft flying in and out of Japan?

Several hours of flying through contaminated air would tend to build up radioactivity in the engines pretty quick. Engines suck in hundreds of cubic feet per minute, so whatever radioactives are in it are concentrated many hundreds of times, some attaching to the interior parts and some heated and blown out the back.

So how many aircraft are above safety limits already?

There are simply too, too many ramifications to think of them all.

If anyone's listening: start checking the engines of all flights in and out of Japan. I'm afraid you're going to have to remove a few from service, or at least rotate which ones are flying there.

JAL? Time for a new postflight protocol.
edit on 31-3-2011 by apacheman because: add thought

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Just posted by Michio Kaku...15 mins ago, on his website bigthink.com...

Recently, the GE engineer who worked on the Mark I reactor has stated that the source is mostly a core meltdown in unit 2 that has eaten its right through the pressure vessel (which surrounds the super hot core.) This echoes what I have been saying. If he is right, then "corium" (a liquid mixture of melted uranium) has melted its way right through the reactor vessel and is now leaking into the water system below the reactor. So direct contact with melted uranium may be the most likely cause.

Most likely, this means more radiation into the environment, since there is no way stop radioactive water from touching the corium. However, at worst, the molten fuel could plunge into a pool of water and explode, creating the nightmare of Chernobyl.

Sounds about right....

Des

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by -W1LL
reply to post by zorgon

LOL what a joke. rifles and Cammo. what exactly do they think they are going to do?

Show respect. They are not a joke. They know exactly what they are going to do.

And the rifles have a very specific purpose.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Japan to take control of Tokyo Electric

TOKYO (Reuters) – Japan will take control of Tokyo Electric Power Co (9501.T), the operator of a stricken nuclear plant, in the face of mounting public concerns over the crisis and a huge potential compensation bill, a local newspaper reported on Friday. Shares of the company, also known as TEPCO, were down 10 percent after the Mainichi newspaper said the government plans to inject public funds into the firm, although it is unlikely to take more than a 50 percent stake. "If the stake goes over 50 percent, it will be nationalized. But that's not what we are considering," an unnamed government official was quoted by the daily as saying. TEPCO has come under fire for its handling of the emergency at its Fukushima Daiichi nuclear complex, triggered by a March 11 earthquake and tsunami that left more than 27,500 people dead or missing. The Mainichi quoted a government official as saying: "It will be a type of injection that will allow the government to have a certain level of (management) involvement."

Link

Under law, TEPCO could be exempt from compensation for nuclear accidents caused by natural disasters. But Mainichi quoted the official as saying it would not be possible to apply the legislation given strong public sentiment.

This move would at least make the assets of the company liable for their part in contributing to the crisis.
edit on 31-3-2011 by DancedWithWolves because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   

The IAEA says radiation levels twice as high as its criterion for evacuation were detected in a village 40 km from the troubled Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant.   

sorce

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

Want to take some readings outside? Isn't the idea that the particulate type of radiation isn't in your home unless it is coming in on things, or you have air exchange bringing it in?

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by 00nunya00

Originally posted by Regenstorm
I was reading an article about the security which is run by an Israeli company which might make things a little fishy. But this isn't a Jew-bashing thread or forum.
What amazed me was this statement:

Although there is no access to the area, Siboni said the cameras from his company's security system - which were installed high up - were probably not damaged and likely captured the post-earthquake explosions at the site, as well as the impact of the tsunami.

Source

SO WHERE IS THE FOOTAGE???

Perhaps they're not interested in the possible "Jew-bashing" it might bring. BTW, there's a difference between Israelis and Jews. One is a nationality, and one is a religion that many people around the world, including myself, claim as their spiritual guidance.

Now back to the topic and point of the thread. (We both get to go a little off-topic, right?
)

Most likely any images are property of the customer's....TEPCO. At least that type of arrangement is common in the United States.

BlackSheep

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chakotay

Yep, kill every living animal in the X area contamined just like Chernobyl. Gonna take a while.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by brocktoon

I think you may be correct on that corrective brace. I don't recall the details of that particular band aid, nut you're likely correct in that.

I finally got it, can believe I've been SO obtuse.

What's not being said:

"No immediate health risk" = there IS long-term health risk.

Since most people outside this forum are short-term thinkers they hear that in the time frames in which they are used to operating in, they've got nothing to worry about. Everyone here sees through the subterfuge easily so the messages that are being concocted shocks your senses and leave you wondering how anyone can believe the BS.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

Now, what's this noise about trying to encase an active meltdown? Are they trying to make things worse? What happens when wet concrete mix hits corium?

Surely they have thought of this, but then I suppose not as the concrete
pumps are on the way there. Could you tell us what might happen
if the wet concrete hits corium?

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 09:19 PM
link   
www.irsn.fr...

I found this on a competing thread.
It is a model of I believe air and or water dispersel from Japan

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by rbrtj

I could be wrong, but it doesn't appear that it's been updated since it was first released almost three weeks ago (wow....almost to the hour now, eh?). Plus, it doesn't really tell us anything about what has happened, only that the air from one place eventually spreads everywhere. It gives no verified data, you know?

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chakotay

Originally posted by -W1LL
reply to post by zorgon

LOL what a joke. rifles and Cammo. what exactly do they think they are going to do?

respect? loosen up a bit just because you take offense to something you interpreted on the net doesn't mean I am being disrespectful

they are NOT a Nuclear waste disposal team. maybe you could enlighten me with your wisdom, what are they going to do to help this situation?
its moot point anyway since it was an archived Pic. not a live shot

rifles what purpose could they serve? in a disaster?

edit on 3/31/2011 by -W1LL because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Crews 'facing 100-year battle' at Fukushima

A nuclear expert has warned that it might be 100 years before melting fuel rods can be safely removed from Japan's Fukushima nuclear plant.

The warning came as levels of radioactive iodine flushed into the sea near the plant spiked to a new high and the Wall Street Journal said it had obtained disaster response blueprints which said the plant's operators were woefully unprepared for the scale of the disaster.

Water is still being poured into the damaged reactors to cool melting fuel rods.

But one expert says the radiation leaks will be ongoing and it could take 50 to 100 years before the nuclear fuel rods have completely cooled and been removed.

"As the water leaks out, you keep on pouring water in, so this leak will go on for ever," said Dr John Price, a former member of the Safety Policy Unit at the UK's National Nuclear Corporation.

"There has to be some way of dealing with it. The water is connecting in tunnels and concrete-lined pits at the moment and the question is whether they can pump it back.

"The final thing is that the reactors will have to be closed and the fuel removed, and that is 50 to 100 years away.

new topics

top topics

<< 460  461  462    464  465  466 >>

join