It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 462.htm
<< 459  460  461    463  464  465 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 07:10 PM
link   
I was reading an article about the security which is run by an Israeli company which might make things a little fishy. But this isn't a Jew-bashing thread or forum.
What amazed me was this statement:

Although there is no access to the area, Siboni said the cameras from his company's security system - which were installed high up - were probably not damaged and likely captured the post-earthquake explosions at the site, as well as the impact of the tsunami.

Source

SO WHERE IS THE FOOTAGE???

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by makeitso

Informative link...TY. Now, I do have a problem with this, found on your link. It's that last sentence that gives me the willies...
The photo at link, shows it's no small pool.

The Common (Shared) Storage Pool

In addition to these individual pools, there is a larger common spent fuel pool that is used to store spent fuel from all 6 reactors once it has been out of the reactor for 19 months and has cooled down. It has a volume of 3,828 cubic meters (29m x 12m x11m deep) and currently has 6,375 spent fuel assemblies in it. It is located 50 meters west of Unit 4. Reports also say that this pool continues to have water supplies but its cooling system is not functional.

Des

edit on 03/28/2011 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   

The Final Solution

Worlds largest concrete pumper is on the way to the reactors.

Concrete pumper on the way

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by SDoradus

The Final Solution

Blows my mind. Our president has made a couple of phone calls. Individuals are givings millions of dollars of equipment to help.

From your link article...looks like, they are going to attempt, the mass concrete grave for the reactors.

“Our understanding is, they are preparing to go to next phase and it will require a lot of concrete,” Ashmore said, noting that the 70-meter pump can move 210 cubic yards of concrete per hour.

Putzmeister equipment was also used in the 1980s, when massive amounts of concrete were used to entomb the melted core of the reactor at Chernobyl.

In addition to the equipment now at Fukushima and the two 70-meter pumps being moved from the U.S., a contractor in Vietnam has given up a 58-meter pump so it can be diverted to Japan, and two 62-meter pumps in Germany were loaded on Wednesday for transport to Tokyo.

Ashmore officials have already notified Shaw AREVA MOX Services, which is building the MOX plant for the U.S. Department of Energy’s National Nuclear Security Administration, that the pump was being moved and will not be returned. “It will be too hot to come back,” Ashmore said.

Kudos for them in trying...BUT, the loop of ocean/tide circulating through the glowing goo, that endless circle, a concrete grave...just won't solve the whole problem.

Des
edit on 03/28/2011 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by apacheman

I agree with what you are saying with regards to the possibility of the bedrock cracking or at least the concrete. I posted a link on the 20th to a report about how much vibration the plant could take. The page on that website has now vanished!! But I did copy some text to my post.

The basis of this paper is comparative forced vibration testing of two GE 460 MW(e) BWR-type reactor buildings. The tested nuclear power plants are the Fukushima Nuclear Power Plant Unit No. 1 of the Tokyo Electric Power Company (hereinafter referred to as Fukushima) and the Shimane Nuclear Power Plant of the Chugoku Electric Power Company (Shimane). They are almost the same in both structure and function, but are built on rock of quite different rigidity. The shear wave velocity of Shimane is about three times that of Fukushima. The forced vibration tests were performed immediately after completion of each reactor building using a vibrator with a maximum exciting force of 3 t. The computer simulation analyses were carried out using vibration models possessing different internal viscous damping factors for each structural element. Both the resonance periods and damping factors of Fukushima were found to be larger than those of Shimane. Thus, site selection of nuclear power plants must be reviewed as a matter of utmost importance from the viewpoint of seismic design.

Link (that no longer works)

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 07:31 PM
link   
So they are writing off the pump because at a range of 70 meters it will be too irradiated to use again..key question is how long it will take for that to happen and whether the elctronics will stand up.

I personally believe it's too late...by the time it arrives, the plant will be unapproachable to within a klick or so. Lethal limits are swiftly being reached, if they haven't been passed already.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone

Originally posted by SDoradus

The Final Solution

Blows my mind. Our president has made a couple of phone calls. Individuals are givings millions of dollars of equipment to help.

From your link article...looks like, they are going to attempt, the mass concrete grave for the reactors.

“Our understanding is, they are preparing to go to next phase and it will require a lot of concrete,” Ashmore said, noting that the 70-meter pump can move 210 cubic yards of concrete per hour.

Putzmeister equipment was also used in the 1980s, when massive amounts of concrete were used to entomb the melted core of the reactor at Chernobyl.

In addition to the equipment now at Fukushima and the two 70-meter pumps being moved from the U.S., a contractor in Vietnam has given up a 58-meter pump so it can be diverted to Japan, and two 62-meter pumps in Germany were loaded on Wednesday for transport to Tokyo.

Ashmore officials have already notified Shaw AREVA MOX Services, which is building the MOX plant for the U.S. Department of Energy’s National Nuclear Security Administration, that the pump was being moved and will not be returned. “It will be too hot to come back,” Ashmore said.

Des

How are they possibly going to be able to bury all 4? That seems impossible if not improbable if one of these reactors is in fact "on it a#$" so to speak. This one reactor poses a huge challenge.
Not to mention the radiation leaking in to the water from a still unknown source. I know they have to try, but WOW! I dont see this working out well.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 07:40 PM
link   
OK guys I may have missed this somewhere earlier but could someone tell me whats happening at the other plants that have had shutdown.

The INES accident rating for Fukushima daichi are Reactors 1,2,3 accident rating 5. Reactor 4 - spent fuel pond accident rating 3. Reactors 5,6 no accident rating.

Now at the sister plant Fukushima daini reactors 1,2 and 4 all have accident ratings at level 3 - the same as daichi's reactor 4.

There is also information that Onagawa's reactors 1,2 and 3 have ratings and Tokai' reactor 2 has an accident rating.

But, no detailed information as to exactly whats happening with these other reactors?

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by comawhite12

Because Tepco, somehow still thinks...spitting on a forest fire...will put it out. Plus, they really don't want to be blamed for breaking the Pacific Ocean.

Des

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Is there a site with webcams for the other plants around this area somewhere?

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by comawhite12

I noticed today on France 24 news the video was coming from the telescopic cement mixers nozzle.
Maybe they are also hoping the concrete from the new vehicle will be able to get in to the plant and plug up the leaks in the floor?
They can also use it to if is not to hot to get photos.
Anybody get a caption of the france 24 news report today?

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by apacheman

I personally believe it's too late...by the time it arrives, the plant will be unapproachable to within a klick or so. Lethal limits are swiftly being reached, if they haven't been passed already.

Pretty much what I was thinking - the equipment will be contaminated as well as any workers - I don't think they can get close enough to do it in time. If it does get in place - this is going to be dangerous work - pretty
much a suicide mission.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Regarding the new concrete pump:
I posted this back on page 379
Maybe this is what they have in mind..... Note also that the pump is a high lift pump.

I have been thinking about “Corium migration” to ground water. Have a few ideas to run by you.
The “Soviets” used sand and lead drops to cover the reactor, but which also helped to “dilute” or separate the corium; thereby reducing or slowing the radioactive decay rate and eventually the “lava” slowed and stopped. I think you would agree that helicopter drops are not feasible.
Based on what little information we have to work with I would suggest:
Pump a boric acid and ceramic aggregate slurry with a concrete pump to gravity feed pipes placed by crane into the main containment vessel. The reactor core containments are already breeched (according to multiple sources). Maybe the core is accessible through the lid, pipe, valve, cracks, etc. or burn- blast a hole for feed pipe(s) to drop into. Add the boric acid aggregate mix as quickly as it can be assimilated by the corium…or maybe cover it with a melting blanket.
The ceramic aggregates in the slurry mix can be chosen by ability to absorb alpha, beta, xray, gamma and at least partially covert to heat, to readily transfer heat through the ceramic and out of the corium mix, and to help encapsulate the corium when cooled for future removal.

I would also assemble an engineering team to review the basement or any areas where the molten corium will be expected. I would use refractory blocks or bricks, along with blasted holes through walls to help send the expected corium into multiple directions. Then fill all voids in potential flow path with ceramic/boron mix (by pump). This would probably require “suicide missions” so ask for volunteers and offer benefits to all workers…….money is no longer relevant here, excepting for the workers and their families.

Someone needs to put up an engineering workgroup website as a platform for global scientists, engineers, and rednecks….pyramid structure with the more knowledgeable at the top so that relevant ideas can flow immediately upward and be implemented.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by kdog1982
Can't they take helicopters with cement dumping buckets and seal it?
How did they seal Chernobyl?
Was it sand,clay,boron?
Seems to be the answer other then water.
en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 16-3-2011 by kdog1982 because: added

Cement,huh.

I think I mentioned this about 15 days ago.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by rbrtj

www.france24.com...

Excerpt from artice on France 24 WOW they admit the concrete vessel has been breached in the worst way.

French Environment Minister Nathalie Kosciusko-Morizet on Monday called events in Japan “extremely serious” but added that “France should not follow the rest of the EU in overreacting to the situation domestically.”

However, her tone was more alarmist on Tuesday. On her way to an emergency cabinet meeting, Kosciusko-Morizet said Japan was heading for “catastrophe”. She said called the news that the concrete vessel around the reactor was breached “the worst scenario”.

Des

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Singapore extends ban on Japanese food imports to Shizuoka Prefecture

The Singapore government said Thursday it has added Shizuoka Prefecture to its growing list of Japanese areas from which fresh produce is not allowed to be imported into Singapore because of radioactive contamination.

Since the Fukushima nuclear crisis began, Singapore has banned the import of fruit and vegetables, milk and milk products, seafood and meat from Fukushima, Ibaraki, Tochigi and Gunma prefectures, and fruit and vegetables from Ehime, Chiba, Kanagawa, Tokyo and Saitama.

link

Wow. That's a lot of prefectures so far. How long until most countries refuse imports of any Japanese foods?

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

Thankyou for posting the link to france 24, my insertion skills and my old computer make things like that and gathering data impossible at best.
Keep up the good work.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Yep...gonna take a carp load of concrete....yeswaterisfuel.com...

Amount of Radioactive Material at Fukushima
Posted on March 24th, 2011 by Sparky
0diggsdigg

As previously discussed we have some details on the amount of radioactive material at the Fukushima facility.

Each pellet is 19mm x 8mm. Each fuel rod is 8mm x 4.5m. The active length of the radioactive material is 3.8m. To get the total mass of fuel in a fuel rod 8mm x 3800mm

Each reactor has 241 fuel assemblies and each assembly weighs 660kg = 160 metric tonnes

6 plants x 160 = 960 metric tonnes of nuclear material

+ 783 used fuel rods (according to a report by NHK news – unconfirmed amount)

Lets do the Math!

To get a more precise idea of the full amount of radioactive material at the facility we need to know how much each fuel rod weighs.

To find the area of a circle we use this simple formula Pi * rA * rA where rA is the radius of the circle.

So we have Pi * 0.004m * 0.004m = 0.000050265 sqm

To get the mass in cubic meters we can multiple 0.000050265 x 3.8 = 0.000191009 cubic meters

The density of Uranium Oxide is approx 10970 kg per cubic meter

0.000191009 x 10970 = 2.095366902 kg

Which means each fuel rod has approx 2.095366902 kg of Uranium.

Each assembly weighs 660 kg

660 / 2.095366902 = 315. So we can say that there are 300 fuel rods per assembly (including Zirconium cladding and additional parts)

If there are 241 assemblies per reactor and 300 fuel rods per assembly we can get the total mass of radioactive material in the reactors.

241 assemblies x 300 fuel rods per assembly x 2 kg of Uranium Oxide per Fuel rod = 144600 kg of Uranium Oxide per reactor or 144.6 Metric Tonnes.

With 6 reactors there is 867.6 metric tonnes of Uranium Oxide at Fukushima in the reactors alone. In addition they have 40 years of spent fuel rods stored in cooling ponds and reports of additional reactor cores being stored there are now surfacing although unconfirmed.

This information is crucial to the scale of the disaster. With the cores continuing to burn and emit the highly toxic poisonous clouds of death we have a disaster of unprecedented proportions happening at this very moment. There is also the possibility of the much denser Plutonium-239 that is created as the fuel is used by the reactors separating out and clumping together. If that happens while it is still in an active state (chain reaction in process) it will go to critical mass and then we have the biggest nuclear explosion that modern civilization has ever seen.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Thanks for all the info, people... This thread is probably the most informative news source on the disaster.

Not sure if these pics have been posted yet, but Cryptome has released some very good hi-res photos of the damaged reactors taken by unmanned drone planes. Here's the zip file for the full-sized pictures for your perusal:
ZIP file of 10 original full-sized photos

Here's the link to scaled photos with subtitles.

Didn't want to post the images in the thread, they're big - lots of scrolling.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Regenstorm
I was reading an article about the security which is run by an Israeli company which might make things a little fishy. But this isn't a Jew-bashing thread or forum.
What amazed me was this statement:

Although there is no access to the area, Siboni said the cameras from his company's security system - which were installed high up - were probably not damaged and likely captured the post-earthquake explosions at the site, as well as the impact of the tsunami.

Source

SO WHERE IS THE FOOTAGE???

Perhaps they're not interested in the possible "Jew-bashing" it might bring. BTW, there's a difference between Israelis and Jews. One is a nationality, and one is a religion that many people around the world, including myself, claim as their spiritual guidance.

Now back to the topic and point of the thread. (We both get to go a little off-topic, right?
)

top topics

<< 459  460  461    463  464  465 >>

join