It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 456.htm
<< 453  454  455    457  458  459 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by SFA437
reply to post by -W1LL

Like I said in my first post here- I don't do nuke plants- I do military assessments. Well I did until I wound up with a fractured spine, pinned together leg and minus 14 teeth courtesy of a Baghdad driver.

This falls well into what I am versed in.

There is an A/C carrier offshore with several other vessels capable of sustained rotary wing air operations.
A CBIRF is being dispatched which is a COMBAT unit of the USMC which has as part of it's duties Embassy protection.
The CBIRF was conceived and created to attack/defend high value targets in an NBC environment.
The CBIRF is not a PA/CA "hearts and minds" unit. They kill people and break things.
The CBIRF is NOT a repair service or there to string wire & do plumbing.
They are there to protect and evac Embassy personnel in an NBC environment in a worst case scenario- I say this with 110% certainty.
edit on 31-3-2011 by SFA437 because: Can I get my own "typo" button to press for editing here????

Why do they need these hotshot extractors to evac the embassy personnel unless they are about to make a big announcement that will require this level of security? Something that could cause panic.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by mrbillshow

The problem isn't private industry, it's politicians and political parties that are bought off to reduce nuclear safety standards. Private industry always wants to reduce it's costs and deliver a return to it's investors and shareholders but that creates a conflict of interest that needs to be controlled and managed by outside entities whose only interest is safely delivering power to consumers.

How is it not the fault of private industry in the first place?

It is their duty to be responsible first, and not try to cut safety margins all the time. Just because I want to get laid doesn't give me the right to rape anyone. Being a corporation or in private industry doesn't relieve anyone of the burden of acting responsibly. Private industry is culpable.
edit on 31-3-2011 by apacheman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   
"These are the reasons technology this dangerous should not be operated by for-profits. Money needs to go back into infrastructure, research and development; not lining the private sector's pockets. Sometimes EVERYTHING matters EXCEPT profits."

I'm assuming you refer to the workers paradise, USSR, and Chernobyl?

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Despite UN recommendation, Japan will not widen evacuation zone

Japan said on Thursday that its crisis-hit nuclear plant must be scrapped, but currently had no plans to evacuate more people, despite calls for a larger exclusion zone around the crippled facility.

However, there were no plans to widen a 20-kilometre (12-mile) exclusion zone around the Fukushima plant despite the UN atomic watchdog saying radiation at Iitate village 40 kilometres away had reached evacuation levels.

SAY WHAT? The Japanese government IS KILLING THEIR OWN PEOPLE.

Time for a little invasion. Half kidding. Seriously, this is FREAKING SICK.

Japan finds radiation in beef

JAPAN has found radiation above the legal limit in beef from near a stricken nuclear plant, the first such finding in meat since a quake and tsunami triggered the atomic crisis, local media reports.

The health ministry said 510 becquerels of radioactive cesium had been detected in beef from Tenei in Fukushima prefecture, about 70km from the plant - exceeding the 500-becquerel limit, Kyodo News said.

So how long before the UN asks for 70km+ radius evacuation?

Except without nuclear power, Japan is a third world country.

Vehicle tries to enter Fukushima Daiichi plant, breaks into Daini plant

A vehicle of what appears to be right-wing campaigners tried to enter the radiation-leaking Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant, and then broke through the gate of the nearby Fukushima Daini power plant Thursday, the government's nuclear safety agency said.

Got a death wish much?

Scientists Warn Japan Nuclear Radioactive Fallout Now At Chernobyl Levels

Japan Medical Facilities: No Treatement Without Being Certified Radiation Free

Japan's Nuclear Rescuers: 'Inevitable Some of Them May Die Within Weeks'

AWESOME HIGH RES PICS OF FUKUSHIMA

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by brocktoon
reply to post by zorgon

Here's the configuration Fukushima 4 would have been in at the time of the earthquake:

Fukushima Reactor Hall Fueling

Now consider what you are seeing in the overhead shots...

Some interesting notes about this picture.

- The working floor looks to be equal to the bottom of the third panel from the roof.

- The working floor is also the top of the spent fuel pool.

- Note the location of the pressure vessel top and the color.

- The huge crane seems to travel along the floor. That will never be used again in any of the Reactors (too unstable). In my opinion, they are useless even if they are still in place.

- Note: the two i-beams that run from the front of the picture to the back along the sides of the picture. They either support the crane in the picture or another overhead crane.

- On the right side of the picture, look at what the i-beam sits on. It is a huge column. Look at the people on the crane for perspective. Reactors 2 and 3 (i believe, my brain is fried) do not show that these beams are still on place.

- I am convinced that right under the person who took this photo is where we see corium/poolium slag outside of the of the north side of Reactor #4.

- I am also convinced that this is the same wall on Reactor 3 which is, in my opinion, the most damaged part of Reactor 3.

- My conclusion, I believe Reactor 3 has no 'real' spent fuel pool and the possibility the the spent fuel rods were ejected from the building or fell down uncontrolled into the bowels of the building. Remember plutonium in #3

- Finally, their is a good possibility that Reactor #3 has Mox Spent Fuel Rods arranged like pick up sticks in direct contact with water in the flooded basement.

- Is this the source of all the highly radio active water? Is this source of the blue lights at night? Spent fuel at the bottom of the basement covered by water?

Did anybody catch other items of interest from this picture?

BlackSheep

I just noticed that I may have it off 180 degrees from the thoughts above. One question to confirm, does the spent fuel pool glow blue or the exposed reactor fuel?
edit on 31-3-2011 by Black Sheep because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   
zorgon - I think it was you that posted. Thank you for posting that screanshot for me. Very odd though - once I posted the question and refreshed my browser, the picture was that funny color you posted - which is not what I was looking at when I asked. Next to the only shiny building to the right there was a red/orange sort of glow. Anyway,

Oh, the questions that come to mind - -

How deep is the magma chamber under the area?

If we have a China Syndrome event/nuke drill underway, how long before such melt hits the Chamber?

What would become of the rods when they hit the magma chamber?

Along the way down, will not we have the same effects of fracking - fracturing the bedrock and releasing gas (let us hope there is no shale under there)? = Earthquakes?

When the melt hits the magma chamber what will occur? and will the whole of the contents of the plant sink into said chamber?

and - If as stated above that the rock begins to fracture. will this not open up the seams to allow the Sea to enter. And, we all know what happens when water mixes with the plant materials and not to mention, when we mix water(and gas) with magma.

Could we have a Major Nuclear Volcanic Eruption?

Yeah, bad, very bad!

Sorry if this was covered before.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Situation Update No. 69
On 31.03.2011 at 18:17 GMT+2

Radioactive substance about 10,000 times the limit was found at the groundwater around the No. 1 reactor of the troubled Fukushima No.1 nuclear power plant, local media reported Friday. A official with the plant's operator Tokyo Electric Power Co. said Thursday that the radiation level is "extremely high," according to Kyodo News report. Also on Thursday, the level of radioactive iodine-131 found in seawater near the nuclear power plant, about 240 kilometers northeast from Tokyo, has soared to its highest reading yet at a concentration of 4,385 times the legal limit. The Japanese authorities have been stepping up efforts to fix the plant crippled by devastating March 11 earthquake and tsunami.

hisz.rsoe.hu...

10,000 times the limit at #1 now. Seawater readings are getting worse at 4,385 times the limit.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by SFA437
reply to post by -W1LL

Like I said in my first post here- I don't do nuke plants- I do military assessments. Well I did until I wound up with a fractured spine, pinned together leg and minus 14 teeth courtesy of a Baghdad driver.

This falls well into what I am versed in.

There is an A/C carrier offshore with several other vessels capable of sustained rotary wing air operations.
A CBIRF is being dispatched which is a COMBAT unit of the USMC which has as part of it's duties Embassy protection.
The CBIRF was conceived and created to attack/defend high value targets in an NBC environment.
The CBIRF is not a PA/CA "hearts and minds" unit. They kill people and break things.
The CBIRF is NOT a repair service or there to string wire & do plumbing.
They are there to protect and evac Embassy personnel in an NBC environment in a worst case scenario- I say this with 110% certainty.
edit on 31-3-2011 by SFA437 because: Can I get my own "typo" button to press for editing here????

Do you think that the top brass would have ordered a CBIRF team to Japan if they didn't have a pretty good idea that such a team would be needed, eventually?

I imagine such special skills units are few in number and only tasked on an "as needed" basis, correct?

I guess my point being;

If this team has been dispatched to Japan, now, it is as good an indication as any that the US government believes that its "High Value Assets" will have to be evacuated from Japan under "Worse Case" conditions.

Which seems, to me, to imply that much more is known, suspected, and/or probably Expected about this nuclear nightmare than is being let out to the public, either in Japan, or to the rest of the world.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by apacheman

The problem isn't private industry, it's politicians and political parties that are bought off to reduce nuclear safety standards. Private industry always wants to reduce it's costs and deliver a return to it's investors and shareholders but that creates a conflict of interest that needs to be controlled and managed by outside entities whose only interest is safely delivering power to consumers.

How is it not the fault of private industry in the first place?

It is their duty to be responsible first, and not try to cut safety margins all the time. Just because I want to get laid doesn't give me the right to rape anyone. Being a corporation or in private industry doesn't relieve anyone of the burden of acting responsibly. Private industry is culpable.

I don't think you understand much about business, but you do pose good questions that swerve into the truth.

You mention it is the duty of private industry/business, even your local Mom and Pop down the street, to be responsible. Fair enough. In your opinion what are those responsibilities and to whom are they responsible?
edit on 31-3-2011 by mrbillshow because: sp

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by brocktoon

You posted ahead of me. From my perspective, the crane looks to be inbetween the reactor and the spent storage pool.

Great post.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
NOTE - Some of this discussion may be considered off topic, I agree, but I thought this thread eventually may seque into discussions of responsibility.

However, if participants believe this is better relegated to another topic, I will desist immediately.
edit on 31-3-2011 by mrbillshow because: sp

edit on 31-3-2011 by mrbillshow because: (no reason given)

Upon further consideration, this is definitely off topic so let's let it go.
edit on 31-3-2011 by mrbillshow because: update

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon
TEPCO workers not warned of radiation risk

Can we call up a Global Hawk to take out TEPCO's headquarters?
WHY are they still in charge of this?

My vote would be to send that Russian General that managed the Chernobyl disaster over there.

Your posts recently of the discharge into the sea from buildings 5 & 6....Would you elaborate on what you think the situation concerning the pools may be?

Also, if the situation at reactor #3 analysis by Redneck is true..regardless of how deep this eats down into the Earth..let's say 30 meters for the sake of conversation..Every time the tide came in, would it not encounter the corium shaft and at the very least, add to the increase in sea radiation levels everytime the tide washed back to sea?

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Black Sheep

I think this is a real helpful picture, but it important to note that there are two cranes. You can see both them in those cutaway drawings a few pages back, but it is confusing because they are depicted parked on top of each other. The big light green gantry which lifts the reactor cover and dome runs on those wall I beam rails. That is what is said to have collapsed into one of the storage pools. Otherwise all your assessments, I believe to be correct.

EDIT: Sorry, with the exception that you seem to think that the water is the fuel pool, it is actually the top of the containment with the yellow cover removed, which has been flooded to allow removal/replacement of rods in the core. That big yellow dome usually sits where that water is now. That blue glow is coming from the core.
edit on 31-3-2011 by brocktoon because: as above

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   
In regards to CBIRF deployment:

IMO the reason for the deployment is that the deployment comes at the request of the RSO in Japan.

This tends to make me believe someone else higher up the food chain than the RSO is pushing information back down the chain indicating an evac might be in order and the environment the evac is going to take place in might be of an NBC nature.

There are no definitive answers for Fukushima- just very educated guesses done by much better minds than mine. Whatever intel they are getting (I've been out of the loop for 2 years now) is telling someone that there is a significant probability that things are going to go sideways fairly soon.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Side issue but here goes:

Their first resposibility is to BE resposnsible, the same as any adult. Don't steal, don't take more than you need, don't pollute, don't break laws, like bribery laws.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Germany and Switzerland ban the Simpsons.

They ban those episodes in which the nuclear facility from Monty Burns plays a key-role.
www.bild.de...
bazonline.ch...
translate.google.com...

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by SFA437

Well if it goes sideways there, I can only speculate that the US may get cross haired.......................
edit on 31-3-2011 by Cloudsinthesky because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by apacheman

Side issue but here goes:

Their first resposibility is to BE resposnsible, the same as any adult. Don't steal, don't take more than you need, don't pollute, don't break laws, like bribery laws.

Until you understand the nature of the beast, you will never be able to find ways to make it work for you.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   
A turtle approaches a stream wishing to cross over. A snake approaches and asks the turtle for a ride. The turtle says "No, you will bite me and I will die". The snake responds "Why would I do that? I want to cross the river just as you. I will be grateful and not bite you"

The turtle agrees so the snake slithers on it's back and they begin to make their way across the stream. Midway the snake bites the turtle and as they both sink into the water the turtle asks, "Why did you do that? Now we will both surely die!"

The snake responds "Because it's my nature."

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by SFA437

Hi there - thanks for this valuable info - what would we expect to see next - would there be any announcements?

Would you also expect other countries to take similar actions? If the US is expecting a need to remove its embassy staff urgently then I would imagine other countries would feel the same?

new topics

top topics

<< 453  454  455    457  458  459 >>

join