It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 443.htm
<< 440  441  442    444  445  446 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Molten copper hits water... hilarity ensues. Good example of a VERY small (perhaps 0.5 pounds) hot mass hitting cool water. IMO this is why they are panicking to pump out the basements of the reactors.

Imagine a 180 ton mass of corium hitting 1--12 feet of water.... Venkman and Egon crossing streams time.

edit on 30-3-2011 by SFA437 because: More beer = more typos

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

From IAEA spokes person... regarding levels taken by their own team...

2 million bq per sq meter in soil found 40km from plant which is double IAEA standards for evacuation...

Edano acknowledged this in a short press conference and said the government will closely monitor that and IF levels stay high they will consider increasing evacuation area

www3.nhk.or.jp...

Ticker showed 4,385 times level in sea water today... again higher than the 3,335 taken earlier

edit on 30-3-2011 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   
reply to post by IDBIT

The amount detected in New York is ''dramatically below levels that would cause human health concerns,'' State Health Commissioner Nirav Shah said

These officials are stuck that phrase.... just once, I want to hear one official stand up and say, "We have detected iodine-131 in rainwater at a level of xxx picocuries. The current level for health hazards is xxx picocuries."

Just once... please?

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   
news.asiaone.com/News/Latest%2BNews/Asia/Story/A1Story20110331-271050.html

Low-level Japan radiation spreads to most of China
AFP
Thu, Mar 31, 2011

BEIJING - "Extremely low" levels of radiation from Japan's crippled nuclear power plant have spread to most Chinese provinces but remain far too low to be a health risk, China's government said.

The Ministry of Environmental Protection said in a notice late Wednesday that radiation was detected across the country's heavily populated eastern, northern and southern regions.

The ministry said on Monday that radioactive iodine was detected in a handful of provinces, but subsequent statements have tracked a steady widening of the affected areas.

However, the latest ministry notice repeated earlier assertions that the amount of radioactivity was only about one-thousandth of what a person would receive during a 2,000-kilometre (1,200-mile) air flight.

(...)

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 11:34 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

I was praying you got that....I heard the numbers and was making notes...but wasn't sure i heard the 2 mil part right
great job as always

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Silverlok

Normal is about 3-4 micro R in Seattle. Depends on where you are, on the beach it will float around 2-3 (close to water table quenches background) Inside the building lobby it's 24 uR/hr (surrounded by granite walls). I hear Richland is about twice as high but I've surveyed in the Mt's with 2-3 uR/hr background

This meter is ~very~ sensitive. I do mean micro -R(5 micro R), 1000/th of a milli R, equal to .05 micro Sv. or .00005 milli-Sv.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by SFA437
reply to post by Black Sheep

That puppy is running probably 15-18 psi.

If you're within 100m the overpressure turns your guts into a semi-solid reddish jelly.

I kid you not.

I found an overpressure scale for all

Overpressure Physical Effects

20 psi Heavily built concrete buildings are severely damaged or demolished.

10 psi Reinforced concrete buildings are severely damaged or demolished.
Most people are killed.

5 psi Most buildings collapse.
Injuries are universal, fatalities are widespread.

3 psi Residential structures collapse.
Serious injuries are common, fatalities may occur.

1 psi Window glass shatters
Light injuries from fragments occur.

Speed of the blast is as follows

Peak overpressure Maximum Wind Speed
50 psi 934 mph
20 psi 502 mph
10 psi 294 mph
5 psi 163 mph
2 psi 70 mph

That should provide some perspective around the blast.

Source

BlackSheep
edit on 30-3-2011 by Black Sheep because: Source

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 11:37 PM
link   

nope..won't happen
but they will tell ya you can get a worse sunburn standing next to a bunch of bananas while drinking soy milk while waiting on a flight to LA

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Silverlok
reply to post by Black Sheep

If it's the first explosion (plant #1) imagine how hard and fast you'd have to squeeze a giant tube of steel to shoot air out of it fast enough to break the speed of sound

Here's how hard.

(If there was sufficient hydrogen present at stoichiometrically efficient ratios).

Detonation velocity ranges from 1800-3200 meters per second; speed of sound is about 343 meters per second.

Pressure about 18-40 atmospheres (264 PSI- 588 PSI)

Add to that the steam pressure release and... boom.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 11:38 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

If you tell me that someone from TEPCO has announced that the soil reading is "within safety limits", I am gonna scream....

And the seawater is starting to sound like an auction going up... "I got 3355, do I hear 4000, 4000, 4000, looking for 4000, 4000, do I hear, in the back! 4385! Do I hear 6000, 6000, 6000, anybody gimme 6000..."

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheRedneck
reply to post by IDBIT

The amount detected in New York is ''dramatically below levels that would cause human health concerns,'' State Health Commissioner Nirav Shah said

These officials are stuck that phrase.... just once, I want to hear one official stand up and say, "We have detected iodine-131 in rainwater at a level of xxx picocuries. The current level for health hazards is xxx picocuries."

Just once... please?

TheRedneck

Don't hold your breath,redneck.
You know that will never happen.
Our skin will be burning off our bodies and they will still
state" it's all within norms".

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 11:43 PM
link   
A little good news...

Life returns..

Cherry trees survived Tsunami

One boat and crew went fishing for the first time...

One main supermarket back in business...

edit on 30-3-2011 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   

I truly thank you for ALL your post & this takes the cake! Definite match to you name...

It's like spitting in a bucket of water. Yes, it raises the water level. No, you can't detect how much; it's not enough to measure. But you can still see what you spit out floating.

TheRedneck

Thank you!
Ektar

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   
More closeups of damage

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 11:55 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

I ain't eating those fish!

I honestly can't understand why they are even taking the boat out... is there no information reaching Japan?

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chakotay

The question that comes to mind is, how will Poolium differ from Corium?

Poolium has a higher proportion of plutonium in the uranium.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 11:59 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Photo #6 definitely shows an area of explosive discharge and resulting collapse. The smoke rising indicates that whatever exploded is still burning underneath. That wouldn't be from around the #3 reactor would it?

Continued tomorrow... that last operational neuron is tired...

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by kdog1982

Originally posted by TheRedneck
reply to post by IDBIT

Just once... please?

TheRedneck

Don't hold your breath,redneck.
You know that will never happen.
Our skin will be burning off our bodies and they will still
state" it's all within norms".

I found this website, It's amazing how it just starts on the 30th March.

www.epa.gov...

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Thanks to all for the continued information and insightful read tonight. A job well done and thanks for letting the...

pic

Carry on.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by SFA437
reply to post by Procharmo

OK this is a VERY preliminary look at the overhead but here is what I see (photo is enlarged and uncropped- lot of things going on in this one):

Red arrows = application of force.
Circles = area of interest

OK let's start with the green circle. Within this area you can see an upwards and outwards application of force. Something went up & out in a hurry- whether it was explosive venting, hydrogen explosion or something else... it left FAST.

The blue circle shows a lot of what appears to be charred material, most likely concrete and roofing materials. Whatever was under there was VERY hot.

Just to the "south" of that is a large scorch mark which is consistent with an explosion "next door". Pay attention to the red arrow showing a large AC unit being shoved to the left. This is consistent with a blast coming from out of frame to the "south".

The red arrow on the far left shows a large diameter pipe or duct bent back onto itself, again showing a high order explosion somewhere "south" and out of frame. The same applies to the toppled stack at top right and general movement of the roof structure and wall damage near scorch mark.

The building at the bottom of the photo has holes in it as well but this is from airborne objects punching DOWN through the roof. You can see the curve of what appears to be rebar at the edges.
edit on 30-3-2011 by SFA437 because: Added details

SFA437 Thanks once again for that analysis. Looks like pipes carrying radioactive water to the turbine building have been breached. I can't know for sure but those are the largest diameter pipes.

Could the dual scorch marks mean either the spent fuel pool explosion took the top of the reactor.

Or the top of the reactor blew up the spent fuel pool?

top topics

<< 440  441  442    444  445  446 >>

join