It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 442.htm
<< 439  440  441    443  444  445 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Seattle

Seattle 3/30/2011 (about 18 stories in the air in a granite clad building.)

edit on 30-3-2011 by SDoradus because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Black Sheep

Didn't mean to sound pissy with you brother... I am aggravated at the dweebs who posted the video with the dubbed in sound.

A catastrophic linear/directional explosion inside a reactor building is more than bad enough without needing to add cheesy soundtracks. It detracts from the seriousness of the situation and demeans everyone trying to seek the truth.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Currently raining in Fukushima Prefecture.

Wonder what tomorrows numbers are going to look like and how TEPCO is going to pass of 100 mSv/hr as safe?

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheRedneck

You were doing good up until #6...

It is not possible for the fuel in a nuclear plant to produce a nuclear blast. The enrichment is far far too low. What we saw was likely a hydrogen gas explosion, with the hydrogen being a result of decomposition of the cladding in the fuel rods.

Now, trying to catch up with this thread, someone pointed out that there was an exit hole in one of the overhead shots and I agree. It is completely possible that that was caused by a steam explosion as the corium became poolium (had to use that word at least once!
) and flowed out into standing water. the steam would flash into steam fast enough to create quite a powerful explosion. That could have even been the trigger for the hydrogen; it can spontaneously ignite, but it is difficult.

Of course, that means we are farther into a nuclear meltdown that we even realized.

And yes, it was a 'dirty bomb'... defined as a conventional explosion with nuclear material acting as radioactive 'shrapnel'.

TheRedneck

Good ole' #6 - I trips me up every time.

Thanks for the analysis and comments. I have learned alot from you since I have been reading this thread.

Thanks Again!

=====================================================

If you take the atomic energy and replace with a steam/hydrogen explosion at the source, I believe many if not all of the principles that follow still apply. Could hydrogen/steam under pressure create that kind of directed overpressure?

I see the only real way to have all of that directed energy if for the blast to propagate from the bottom of the building (secondary containment floor and the torus)

Is the million gallon torus under high pressure?

BlackSheep

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by SFA437

agreed , ( although I never really listen to it, come to think of it ) I am curious as a may not understand this term " blast overpressure " the way I think I do . Me, as a person whom only blows things up in a hobbyist sense; are you using this as something meaning wavefront, or is it a specialize application meaning force of creating the wavefront?...

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Okay - next - I can't post a screen shot here now so would one of you kind folks please jump in and give me a screen shot of This and then tell me it is just the sun's reflection. Thanks!

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   
BREAKING

IAEA doing testing near plant found high levels

Edamo now saying that this level is dangerous to health and they may need to increase evacuation zone

www3.nhk.or.jp...

Will catch that next round... hard to capture and post at the same time... it will repeat in about 30 minutes

edit on 30-3-2011 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   

no, it is designed as a water reservoir that is used to 'quench' the steam in water during an emergency, ideally it would be slightly under atmospheric pressure and is rated for no more than 4 atmospheres

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anmarie96
Okay - next - I can't post a screen shot here now so would one of you kind folks please jump in and give me a screen shot of This and then tell me it is just the sun's reflection. Thanks!

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by SFA437

No Problem!

You have added a great deal of information to the thread in a very short time.

What really gets me is that people in the public are not being allowed to utilize the military sensing assets we have. We use them for military and secret reasons why not humanitarian reasons. Imagine what the Intel community knows via all our surveillance platforms.

Just the thought of what we already know about Fukushima blows my mind.

Welcome to ATS!

BlackSheep

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by SDoradus

That granite puts off a bit what's the normal background? (if I understood your manual the machine auto-adjusts that right?)

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Silverlok

Think of atmospheric pressure as a gentle pushing and overpressure as a fist in full swing.

Ever set off a blockbuster type firecracker and feel the "thump" in your chest? That's running about 0.01psi.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Silverlok

no, it is designed as a water reservoir that is used to 'quench' the steam in water during an emergency, ideally it would be slightly under atmospheric pressure and is rated for no more than 4 atmospheres

After looking a the time line posted by Tepco this explosion is looking more like a violent hydrogen explosion that may have originated deep in the bowels of the building. I wonder what kind of over pressure that kind of blast could produce?

Thanks for the information.

BlackSheep

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Radioactive material detected in air, water in New York
NEW YORK, March 30, Kyodo

Trace amounts of radioactive iodine believed to have come from Japan's quake-hit Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant have been detected in the air and rainwater in New York, the state's health department said.

There is no threat to public health, the department said in a statement published Tuesday. ''The most recent analyses show that levels range from 0.01-0.1 picocuries (one-trillionth of a curie) per cubic meter in air. These levels are similar or below what other states are reporting,'' it said.

In the United States, trace amounts of radioactive materials believed to have come from the Fukushima nuclear plant have also been detected in several other states, including Hawaii, California, Nevada, Florida and Massachusetts.

The amount detected in New York is ''dramatically below levels that would cause human health concerns,'' State Health Commissioner Nirav Shah said in the statement, adding that exposure to this level of radiation is thousands of times lower than common medical imaging procedures, such as chest X-rays.

''We continue to advise New Yorkers that they do not need to take any precautions because of the radioactive emissions from Japan's nuclear plants,'' Shah said.

==Kyodo

Will we be the first State to record radio active snow tomorrow?

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 11:18 PM
link   

If it's the first explosion (plant #1) imagine how hard and fast you'd have to squeeze a giant tube of steel to shoot air out of it fast enough to break the speed of sound

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 11:20 PM
link   
reply to post by SFA437

ah , wave front , good then I am not using over pressure incorrectly , so using enough black powder to launch a 90 pound anvil120ft into the air and then feeling the air hit you like a gorilla swinging a truck tire into your chest when it launches is the correct idea yes?

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 11:21 PM
link   

That puppy is running probably 15-18 psi.

If you're within 100m the overpressure turns your guts into a semi-solid reddish jelly.

I kid you not.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Silverlok

BINGO

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 11:24 PM
link   
www.mysinchew.com/node/55413

US Marines being sent to Japan for nuclear response

by Olivia Hampton

WASHINGTON, March 31, 2011 (AFP) - The US military on Wednesday ordered a Marine unit specializing in emergency nuclear response to deploy to Japan to assist local authorities in addressing the massive crisis, officials said.

Some 155 Marines from the service's Chemical Biological Incident Response Force are scheduled to leave the United States on Thursday and arrive in Japan Friday, a US defense official told AFP.

The CBIRF team, trained in identifying chemical agents, monitoring radiation levels and decontaminating personnel, would not participate in the frenzied efforts to stabilized the reactors of the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant, crippled by a huge earthquake and tsunami on March 11.

It was also hit by several explosions, triggering fears of a catastrophic meltdown as radiation has wafted into the air and seeped into the ocean.

US military personnel are currently barred from penetrating a 50-mile (80-kilometer) radius around the stricken plant, far exceeding the 12-mile (20-kilometer) exclusion zone imposed by the Japanese government.

(...)

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Yes it could still apply. And a steam explosion actually doesn't even have to be contained to explode... the pressure can actually be generated fast enough so the air around it allows enough pressure for an explosion.

And that, my friend, could have something to do with why the iodine got to the US so fast. I hope so anyway, because that means it has been cut off at the source now that the building isn't exploding anymore...

TheRedneck

top topics

<< 439  440  441    443  444  445 >>

join