It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 44.htm
<< 41  42  43    45  46  47 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 07:23 PM
link   
New Reuters article ...

Analysis: Seawater helps but Japan nuclear crisis is not over

I won't quote the whole thing, you can read it on Reuters page, but here's the opening ...

(Reuters) - Pumping seawater into troubled nuclear reactors in Japan should keep them from a catastrophic full-scale meltdown, but conditions are still so volatile that it is far too early to declare the emergency over, nuclear experts said.

PS: Basically, they saying the same thing we've been speculating here. Based on using Seawater, etc. they are in desperation mode and are effectively junking the reactors - which they wouldn't do unless that was their only option left.

edit on 2011-3-13 by EnhancedInterrogator because: added postscript.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   
RT_com RT
RT's Ivor Bennett in Sendai:spent night in relief centre,packed with ppl.freezing cold,no food,fears of another 'quake mag.7 in next 3 days

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by 00nunya00
Dang. It's up to the "cleanse/isolate/observe tons of people" point now. They're certainly downplaying this aspect.

On the upside, at least she know where her daughter is, and is in (otherwise) apparently good health. Doesn't seem like they're holding people who have been exposed "incommunicado". So, that's good.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by EnhancedInterrogator

Totally, I'm sure she's overjoyed she's just alive. But it sheds light on the exposure situation in a way that they have been not so forthcoming about.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   
and the volcanic ash in the air combined with the radiation can't be a good combo at all who knows what else

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 07:37 PM
link   
If, as I have read here, the levels of containment are engineered to contain a full meltdown, why pump seawater in to be released later as steam or water?
Let it melt down. Release nothing.
Or maybe I smell Atomic Energy Industry BS?

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Here's another Reuters article, the 2nd page talks a little bit about the nuclear issues ...

Japan fights to avert nuclear meltdown after quake

Authorities have poured sea water in all three of the reactors at the complex, run by Tohoku Electric Power Co, to cool them down.

Nuclear expert Mark Hibbs of the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace said the authorities appeared to be having some success in their efforts to avert a bigger disaster, but added the situation was still "touch and go".

"Injection of sea water into a core is an extreme measure," he said. "this is not according to the book."

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy
If, as I have read here, the levels of containment are engineered to contain a full meltdown, why pump seawater in to be released later as steam or water?
Let it melt down. Release nothing.
Or maybe I smell Atomic Energy Industry BS?

That was my thought exactly. The containment structure is designed to withstand a meltdown, and the reactors are already trashed, why not let them just burn out? Although i'm not an expert so maybe there's some unknown factor here.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

I am not an expert at diffusing nuclear emergencies but here is my belief.
The salt water will turn to vapor as it cools the system, as the vapor increases so does the pressure, therefore the vapor must be released as the pressure increases.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by JackBauer

I kind of missed your point for a second actually. The containment facility is only believed to be able to withstand a meltdown like this. They don't actually know for sure that it will hold under a full-scale meltdown.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by premierepastimes

Ah okay, that makes sense. Always learn something new lol.

some updates

Japan Prime Minister Kan says situation at nuclear plant remains worrisome and is doing utmost to prevent damage from spreading -Reuters

edit on 3/13/2011 by JackBauer because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Here's an NHK article about Fukushima Daiichi ...

Problems still plague Fukushima nuclear plants

Regarding Reactor #3: ...

The level of coolant water in the Number Three reactor at the Fukushima Number One power plant dropped on Sunday, leaving the fuel rods exposed by two meters. The situation continued for at least until 3pm, possibly causing a partial melting of the rods.
As a result, masses of hydrogen gas have accumulated in the inside top of the reactor building. The gas may cause an explosion similar to that which occurred at the Number One reactor on Saturday.
Tokyo Electric Power Company, also known as TEPCO, is considering ways to remove the hydrogen from the structure.

Regarding Reactor #1: ...

The Number One reactor and its containment structure are being pumped with seawater in an effort to secure cooling.
The Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency says the amount of seawater should entirely fill the reactor structure, and that the building should be safe as long as the water flow continues.

Also this about Reactor #2 ...

At the Number Two reactor, the amount of coolant continues to be lower than usual, and the pressure within the containment vessel is above normal.
TEPCO attempted to restore the functioning of an electrical pressure-relief device by connecting a generator, but has not succeeded.
The company is considering other means to relieve the reactor pressure, such as releasing air from the containment vessel.

Also this about Fukushima Daini ...

Inadequate cooling is also occurring at the Fukushima Number Two power plant, where the pumps to send seawater to cool the Number One, Two and Four reactors have failed due to the tsunami.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by EnhancedInterrogator
I think there's some more Tepco press-releases coming-up. I see on Japanese page, but not Engrish yet.

I still haven't been able to consistently get into Tepco's site to check the press-releases. Looks like even their Japanese-language page is getting overloaded now too. The last time I got the Japanese page to refresh fully, it looked like the only updates were more PDF's with radiation measurements. I'll keep trying.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Yes, it is not the kind of thing you can run a test on, full meltdown of a reactor, but they do have an idea of what a core can melt through in reality... Chernobyl. I honestly don't think that they believe their containment would do its job in a full meltdown situation.
I think that they are pumping seawater into the reactor and getting radioactive steam in return that has to be vented. Steam might have a little worse than cesium and iodine entrained in it. Including plutonium if MOX is involved. That's a big ugly there.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 08:15 PM
link   
CANT BE GOOD FOR REACTORS ! Preliminary: 6.0 earthquake, Near East Coast of Honshu, Japan. On 2011/03/14 01:02:39 UTC (9m ago, depth 10km). j.mp...

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by EnhancedInterrogator
I still haven't been able to consistently get into Tepco's site to check the press-releases. Looks like even their Japanese-language page is getting overloaded now too. The last time I got the Japanese page to refresh fully, it looked like the only updates were more PDF's with radiation measurements. I'll keep trying.

I finally got back into Tepco's site to get a full refresh. Looks like nothing new, other than some more PDF's with radiation measurements. So, basically, no change since this post, as far as the Tepco story goes.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 08:17 PM
link   
You guys are all worried about a whole lot of nothing at this point. As I stated in an earlier post, it's too early to even speculate what effects, if any, will be seen in the US or Canada.

Radiation is not leaked. Radioactive Contamination is leaked. Radiation streams. It's energy. Think of it as light from a light bulb.

Also....potassium iodine pills are taken if the potential for airborne contamination exists to BLOCK absorption of radioactive iodine into the thyroid gland; not dilute it.

If any effects of a release of radioactivity into the environment are seen in the western hemisphere from these reactors, it would have to be one hell of a plume.
edit on 13-3-2011 by Hugues de Payens because: Misspelled words

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Hugues de Payens

Thanks for your opinion.

I don't believe any of us are overreacting to this. Or eating iodide pills.

Anyone eating iodide? Anyone? Not me. Huh.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by EnhancedInterrogator

I can get to the Tepco first page and there are new press releases in English but they wouldn't load and I received an error. I really would like some updates directly from Japan, the reports I am reading ( and I've been ready all day) are so conflicting - I don't know what to believe any more.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Hugues de Payens

do you mean like the ash plume coming from the volcano eruption there? or the plume of smoke from the refinery fires?

edit on 13-3-2011 by okiecowboy because: spelling

top topics

<< 41  42  43    45  46  47 >>

join